PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Suspended 2 games for elbow

Kori Ellis
12-30-2005, 03:50 PM
NEW YORK -- Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant has been suspended for two games without pay for by the NBA for elbowing Memphis' Mike Miller in the throat, Stu Jackson, the league's senior vice president of basketball operations, announced.

Bryant was given a flagrant foul I penalty for the incident, which occurred with 8:24 remaining in the fourth quarter of the Lakers' 100-99 loss to the Memphis Grizzlies on Wednesday night at the Staples Center. The league decided to upgrade the call to a flagrant foul II, which is assessed for "unnecessary and excessive contact."

Bryant will serve his suspension Sunday, when the Lakers host the Utah Jazz, and Tuesday at Utah.

Bryant sustained an inch-long cut near his left eye early in the third quarter Wednesday night after taking an elbow from a driving Miller.

The Los Angeles Times quoted Bryant as shouting, "I'll be back" as he left the court for treatment. In the fourth quarter, when Miller drove down the lane, Bryant drilled Miller with an elbow.

"Any player that was going to come down the lane at that particular time, I was going to let them know that they just can't walk through here," Bryant told reporters after the game. "I think we as a team have to do a better job of establishing that, and me as the leader of the ballclub, I have to take initiative to do that.

"Hopefully everybody else will see that, especially this being our home court. People come here and think it's Hollywood and all this other stuff, and they'll come down and look pretty and shoot jump shots and dunk the ball and stand over the ball and all this other cute stuff. We've got to stop that."

Bryant will lose $144,971.59 in salary for each game he sits out.

td4mvp21
12-30-2005, 03:52 PM
Good, that was a flat out dirty play. I thought Kobe had changed after all the drama over the past couple of years, but then I read this, saw him elbow Miller, and read the article about him and Odom. He really hasn't learned much, and thats pretty sad.

spurschick
12-30-2005, 03:52 PM
"Hopefully everybody else will see that, especially this being our home court. People come here and think it's Hollywood and all this other stuff, and they'll come down and look pretty and shoot jump shots and dunk the ball and stand over the ball and all this other cute stuff. We've got to stop that."

By elbowing guys in the throat?! What an asshole.

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-30-2005, 03:59 PM
I saw some replays of that yesterday and I'm surprised he's only being suspended for two games. Miller could have been seriously injured by a cheap shot like that.

Bloodline666
12-30-2005, 04:02 PM
The flagrant foul was rightfully upgraded, and Kobe was rightfully suspended. Who in the right mind would call a Flagrant Foul level ONE for an elbow to the throat? No doubt in my mind that was deliberate!

And speaking of the Lakers' next game, Utah's got a wide-open chance for payback after Kobe's crybaby antics towards the end of regulation the last time the two teams played against each other (those crybaby antics affected the outcome of that game, as well as the game's integrity, by the way)! Hopefully, payback will be served, now that Kobe's suspended!

angel_luv
12-30-2005, 04:06 PM
Kobe has issues. I'm glad he is being held accountable.

Marklar MM
12-30-2005, 04:06 PM
I wonder why Shaq doesn't get more fines for his elbows. I am still amazed they gave Mark Madsen's chin a foul, when it stood its ground and Shaq gave him the good 'ol elbow.

spurjur
12-30-2005, 04:09 PM
I agree with the suspension. However, I kind of understand why he did it. You can't just get elbowed in the face and it let slide. Its hard to just let it slide. I'm sure he was trying to send a message to Memphis and other teams that they aren't going to just hit him or his teammates and get away with it.

If Tim would have gotten elbowed in the face and cut, we would all be defending Tim if he were to get back at whoever did it.

angel_luv
12-30-2005, 04:25 PM
"Any player that was going to come down the lane at that particular time, I was going to let them know that they just can't walk through here," Bryant told reporters after the game.

Tim wouldn't elbow the guy who hurt him much less some random player. That was low even for Kobe.

Bloodline666
12-30-2005, 04:26 PM
Kobe has issues. I'm glad he is being held accountable.
After what happened in Detroit last year...yeah, I'm pretty sure David Stern made it crystal clear that anyone who deliberately committed flagrant fouls or tried to start fights with other players was going to be held accountable, regardless of what superstar status they had...if I remember correctly, the COYOTE, of all people, got ejected for looking like he was going to start a fight with Wally Szserbiac (or however you spell his last name).

Obstructed_View
12-30-2005, 04:32 PM
I agree with the suspension. However, I kind of understand why he did it. You can't just get elbowed in the face and it let slide. Its hard to just let it slide. I'm sure he was trying to send a message to Memphis and other teams that they aren't going to just hit him or his teammates and get away with it.

If Tim would have gotten elbowed in the face and cut, we would all be defending Tim if he were to get back at whoever did it.
Bull. Miller didn't hit Kobe on purpose, and even if he did, winning the game would have been better revenge. Instead, Kobe flagrant fouls in a game that the Lakers ended up losing by 1. Real smart. He also made up a lame excuse afterward instead of being a man and saying "yeah, I did it because he hit me and didn't even get whistled for it."

If Tim would have gotten elbowed in the face and cut, he would have gotten back at the other team by fouling out every single one of their bigs, just like he did against Seattle in the playoffs.

LittleGeneral
12-30-2005, 04:54 PM
Tim wouldn't elbow the guy who hurt him much less some random player. That was low even for Kobe.

Uh, clearly Kobe was saying he'd do that to any player...not that any player would have done that to Mike Miller.

Try reading before criticizing.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-30-2005, 05:08 PM
And Captain Colorado rides again....

Prick.

Marklar MM
12-30-2005, 05:14 PM
After what happened in Detroit last year...yeah, I'm pretty sure David Stern made it crystal clear that anyone who deliberately committed flagrant fouls or tried to start fights with other players was going to be held accountable, regardless of what superstar status they had...if I remember correctly, the COYOTE, of all people, got ejected for looking like he was going to start a fight with Wally Szserbiac (or however you spell his last name).

But the Coyote is a mascot...how badass do you have to be to get thrown out of a game as a mascot....pretty bad ass I might say.

midgetonadonkey
12-30-2005, 05:42 PM
Anyone got a link to a clip of it?

Despot
12-30-2005, 05:54 PM
He only said he would have done it to any player to try an play down the retalliation talk. And he just happened to wait until the 4th quarter to make a team statement, and it also just happened to be against the same guy that nailed him earlier....yeah.....
I'd like to see him try that agianst one of the Heat, or Pistons, or any other team with ornery big men.

I bet he also just happened to have the music playing so loud that he couldn't hear the girl yell no, and to raise awareness he was making a statement about the many dangers that resort staff have to work in.

Vashner
12-30-2005, 07:05 PM
I'll be bak! Kobe shouted as the metal shined from where his wound was.. I knew he was a T1000.

TDMVPDPOY
12-30-2005, 07:13 PM
the lady biatch is back, expected the nba to let it pass since it rides komes left testicle.

SequSpur
12-30-2005, 07:18 PM
That's bullshit, he didn't deserve to be suspended... now what is ESPN gonna do?

ZStomp
12-30-2005, 07:20 PM
Anyone got a link to a clip of it?

No no no...can't do that here.

Bloodline666
12-30-2005, 07:51 PM
That's bullshit, he didn't deserve to be suspended... now what is ESPN gonna do?
As I understand it, it's an automatic suspension for each flagrant foul point assessed if you get, like, 6 of them. Kobe's got 2 Flagrant Foul points right now. Which now makes you wonder: Is the league suddenly going "Zero Tolerance" on Flagrant Fouls? I also know that a Level 2 Flagrant Foul is punishable by an automatic ejection. Kobe didn't get ejected because the refs called a Level 1 Flagrant against him. I guess the suspension is to make up for the lack of Kobe getting ejected after his flagrant was upgraded... :wtf

Dre_7
12-30-2005, 07:52 PM
Learn to read first before criticizing someone you have never even met.

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/oliphant/oa048.jpg

RogerIsEatingASandwich
12-30-2005, 08:17 PM
good, he should be suspended for that kinda crap

1Parker1
12-30-2005, 08:33 PM
It makes you wonder though. I've seen a lot of should have beens Flagarant Type 2 hits against Manu and even Parker. None of those players got suspended. Heck, during the playoffs last season, there were several serious ones against Manu in the Denver series...

1Parker1
12-30-2005, 08:35 PM
Oh and that was really, really stupid of Kobe. Liek someone said, the best way to have reacted to something like that was to have hit the game winning shot and given your team a win. And of course, talk trash after the game so you don't lose nearly $290,000...:)

grjr
12-30-2005, 08:36 PM
Any elbow that strikes an opposing player above the shoulders (heretofore known as a "TMass") is supposed to be ejected from the game and suspended for an additional game. Apparently they added the second game because Kobe wasn't thrown out like he should have been.

Phenomanul
12-30-2005, 09:46 PM
Kobe deserved at least 5 games for that play considering he has been playing rougher lately.... Did anyone see his "purposeful" flailing arm that hit Nowitzki in the face. How about his derisive demeanor toward his teammates...

What a punk.

He's supposed to be a finesse player not an enforcer or a thug... :rolleyes :rolleyes

Despot
12-30-2005, 09:50 PM
As I understand it, it's an automatic suspension for each flagrant foul point assessed if you get, like, 6 of them. Kobe's got 2 Flagrant Foul points right now. Which now makes you wonder: Is the league suddenly going "Zero Tolerance" on Flagrant Fouls? I also know that a Level 2 Flagrant Foul is punishable by an automatic ejection. Kobe didn't get ejected because the refs called a Level 1 Flagrant against him. I guess the suspension is to make up for the lack of Kobe getting ejected after his flagrant was upgraded... :wtf

After the brawl at the palace my understanding was that there is an unwritten rule (or maybe it is written) that if the falgrant is commited as retaliation then the penalty is stiffer. Also, for as long as I can remember it seems to me that all flagrant fouls are automatically reviewed for adjustment of severity, be it up or down, and to correctly penalize the action in terms of suspension. I really doubt that the second game is a make-up call, it's just what the league thought was appopriate.

sanman53
12-30-2005, 11:39 PM
I wish he wouldve elbowed Shaq ;-)

exstatic
12-31-2005, 12:52 AM
A sharp elbow to the throat can crush the ring cartilege, collapse the trachea, and kill someone.

Obstructed_View
12-31-2005, 01:03 AM
It makes you wonder though. I've seen a lot of should have beens Flagarant Type 2 hits against Manu and even Parker. None of those players got suspended. Heck, during the playoffs last season, there were several serious ones against Manu in the Denver series...

The foul was upgraded because of Kobe's recent attitude. The Stu in Stu Jackson is not short for Stupid.

Carmelo's flagrant against Manu was not a flagrant 2, and 'melo got ejected and fined 7500 bucks for it.

jochhejaam
12-31-2005, 07:45 AM
A sharp elbow to the throat can crush the ring cartilege, collapse the trachea, and kill someone.
I've heard that it takes only 13 lbs. of pressure to crush the trachea, Kobe should've gotten 10 games at least.

Like someone else said, he's a punk.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-31-2005, 10:23 AM
The thing is, Kobe doesn't seem as some hardcore thug with that demeanor (well, at least he doesn't come off that way publically).

If he tries that with the wrong person (somebody not afraid to fight back and can whoop his ass), Kobe will get knocked the fuck out.

Can we sign Kevin Willis back?

emo serb
12-31-2005, 11:35 AM
I hope this thread gets put in the NBA section. If my "What Would Kobe Do?" thread gets moved there, this one should also. This is not Spurs, this is mother fucking Kobe. Your just racist against me.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-31-2005, 12:47 PM
I think what a lot of people are missing is his comments after the game. I think that's what got him suspended more than the elbow - saying he'd do it to anyone who game down the lane, gotta protect their court, no means yes, yada yada yada...

ShoogarBear
12-31-2005, 03:14 PM
But the Coyote is a mascot...how badass do you have to be to get thrown out of a game as a mascot....pretty bad ass I might say.
I want the wolf out of here. He's gone. Now.
That's the greatest thing I've ever heard. That's the kind of toughness that we have on this team. They were afraid of the Coyote, so they had to toss him. That was incredible.

exstatic
12-31-2005, 04:09 PM
I hope this thread gets put in the NBA section. If my "What Would Kobe Do?" thread gets moved there, this one should also. This is not Spurs, this is mother fucking Kobe. Your just racist against me.

Chill out, Emo. This is a news article, not an opinion thread like yours.

http://www.ritachu.com/jon/Pictures/weirdal/alshow/ep3601-emo.jpg

Kori Ellis
12-31-2005, 04:11 PM
Chill out, Emo. This is a news article, not an opinion thread like yours.

His actually wasn't an opinion thread. It was a stupid photoshop picture relating to Kobe's rape case. It wasn't even basketball related. That's why I moved it out.

MajicMan
01-01-2006, 05:21 PM
Do you guys really think Kobe aimed for Mike Miller's throat? Cmon man give me a break. What is he Rick Flair? He obviously went for his face and missed. It was stupid because his elbow was off that night just like his shot was off that night but yeah he could have seriously injured dude and now he's paying the price. Maybe you guys should watch the video again and think twice. Here's a link Mike Miller elbow on Kobe (http://dmjfly.com/basketball/elbow.avi) If someone hit me with one of those I would let him know I didn't appreciate it and if he had anything other to say about it than sorry I would lay him out too. I would have cracked him across the face though not give him a People's Elbow to the throat.