PDA

View Full Version : Spurs showing signs on defense

loveforthegame
12-31-2005, 01:55 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA123105.1C.BKNspurs.defense.21c7d948.html

Spurs showing signs on defense

Web Posted: 12/31/2005 12:00 AM CST
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

After leading the NBA in fewest points allowed the past two seasons and ranking no worse than third in opponents' field goal percentage over the same stretch, the Spurs enter tonight's game ranked fifth in points allowed and fourth in field goal percentage allowed.

That's decent defense, unless you are the Spurs.

Signs began appearing a week ago that the defensive mentality is returning. Even in a disheartening loss at Detroit on Christmas Day, there was both individual and group improvement in the Spurs' intense approach. Despite giving up 21 offensive rebounds, which resulted in 20 second-chance points, the Spurs allowed the Pistons, the league's No.5 scoring team, only 85 points.

What followed that loss was a re-dedication to defense, including defensive rebounding, that produced a 99-86 victory over the Indiana Pacers, a 111-84 victory over the New Orleans Hornets and the first hint that the defensive woes are being corrected.

The constant, and high-decibel, reinforcement of the need to defend by coach Gregg Popovich and his assistants took hold.

"For all the parents that are out there, when you yell at your child, you expect some sort of response," said guard Brent Barry, a parent of one, and awaiting the arrival next week of a second child. "So, we are just responding.

"We've just heard from our coaching staff that we are not where we need to be defensively. That's really all that needs to be said, so that the focus is returned to that end of the court for us to succeed and get where we're trying to get back to."

Popovich used film of the Detroit game to stress that forcing a miss and failing to grab a defensive rebound doesn't make for a successful stop. And for one of the rare times this season, he praised the Spurs' team defense after the victory over Indiana.

"The defense was actually pretty good in Detroit, too," Popovich said. "Unfortunately, the back end of the defense we didn't do very well, because they got 21 offensive rebounds. But just defensive defense, take away the rebounds, the last few games have been pretty good."

Nobody expected the Spurs' defense would be as stout through the first couple months as it was during their run to the NBA title.

Neither Michael Finley nor Nick Van Exel, both new additions, pretend they came to the Spurs as defenders. Both, however, have worked harder at individual and team defense than at any time in their careers. Some of the recent improvement should be attributed to defensive dedication by the newcomers, exemplified by Finley's four steals in Thursday's victory over the Hornets.

"I have a lot of bad defensive habits that I have gotten over the years," Finley said. "It's not going to take just one season for me to rid myself of all of them, but I can limit the defensive mistakes that I make."

Van Exel puts it more succinctly.

"No defense, no minutes," he said simply.

The return of Manu Ginobili, one of the Spurs' most intense defenders, from an eight-game injury hiatus also has helped the past two games.

"I think we are not where we want yet," Ginobili said. "But as long as we keep making improvements slowly, we are happy.

"(Thursday night) we did a very good job, but I think the Denver game is going to be a big test for us. They are a high-scoring team, they run a lot, and they have a lot of talent. So that's where we've got to start playing better, especially on the road."

T Park
12-31-2005, 02:41 AM
"I have a lot of bad defensive habits that I have gotten over the years," Finley said. "It's not going to take just one season for me to rid myself of all of them, but I can limit the defensive mistakes that I make."

coughmaverickscough

boutons_
12-31-2005, 08:17 AM
"lot of bad defensive habits"

Keep trying, but get you're here as a scorer (all you've ever done in your career), so get the fucking FG% up from a miserable 41% to 45%. If we needed 41% FG, we already have Brent.

sanman53
12-31-2005, 10:11 AM
"Popovich used film of the Detroit game to stress that forcing a miss and failing to grab a defensive rebound doesn't make for a successful stop. "

Amen!!!!!!!!!!

smdanss
12-31-2005, 10:16 AM
"lot of bad defensive habits"

Keep trying, but get you're here as a scorer (all you've ever done in your career), so get the fucking FG% up from a miserable 41% to 45%. If we needed 41% FG, we already have Brent.
Finley is a better player than Brent, and less expensive for Spurs. Finley's defensive effort looks improving.

Notorious H.O.P.
12-31-2005, 06:24 PM

It may take more than a season but Finley is already looking like a much better defender since the start of the season. Of course, time will help as he gets comfortable on the floor and begins to get a good feel for the rest of the defense and his part in it but he's showing strong effort.

SequSpur
12-31-2005, 06:26 PM
The Eastern Conference is sweeping the Spurs and now they have made progress?

Spurs media forgets the near past.