PDA

View Full Version : Spurs skip showers

Kori Ellis
01-01-2006, 05:45 AM
Spurs notebook: Weather threatens New Year's Eve plans

Web Posted: 01/01/2006 12:25 AM CST
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

DENVER — The Spurs made a literal fast break from Denver after their 98-88 victory over the Nuggets on Saturday.

The game ended at 9:38 p.m., Mountain Time.

By 9:53 all the Spurs had boarded their bus and were en route to Denver International Airport, where their charter aircraft awaited, jet engines fired up and ready for takeoff.

Does that mean they departed without postgame showers?

You bet your aerosol spray, it does.

"Sorry, guys, this is going to be nasty, what I have to do," Spurs guard Manu Ginobili said to reporters scrambling for postgame quotes as he reached under his sweatshirt to apply some much-needed deodorant, "but I've got to do this."

There were no complaints from the assembled media types.

The reason for the Spurs' sprint to the airport: Reports of a weather front hitting the San Antonio area that threatened to fog in the airport. Team officials were told that unless their plane departed by 10:30 p.m., MST, they would likely have to divert to a different airport, or else remain in Denver overnight.

The Spurs' support staff had scrambled before the game to find emergency hotel rooms in Denver in case they had to stay over. Rooms at deluxe hotels in downtown Denver were in scarce supply on New Year's Eve, and the hotel at which the team had stayed Friday night was unable to accommodate them after they checked out Saturday afternoon.

"We don't mind getting back to San Antonio late after the game," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said before the game. "But the prospect of spending New Year's Eve night on our bus isn't too appealing."

Van Exel on the mend: Veteran point guard Nick Van Exel sat out Saturday's game but reported his inflamed left elbow was feeling much better after he received a cortisone injection Friday.

In his absence, second-year point guard Beno Udrih came off the bench behind Tony Parker.

Van Exel's elbow flared up late in the first half of the Spurs' victory Thursday night over the Hornets, and he sat out the second half. He expects to be in the lineup when the Spurs play the Trail Blazers on Wednesday at the SBC Center.

Not playing on Saturday spared Van Exel the usual round of boos from fans who have never forgiven him for asking the Nuggets to trade him.

Van Exel has had problems with his elbow since the 1998-99 season, when he played for the Nuggets.

"I've got bone spurs in there, and they just flare up now and then," he said.

Proud Popovich: A former captain of the Air Force Academy basketball team who also counts former Nuggets coach Jeff Bzdelik as a good friend, Popovich has been doubly happy for Bzdelik and the Air Force Falcons, 12-1 in Bzdelik's first season as head coach.

Air Force has beaten Georgia Tech and Miami, Fla., for the school's first victories over Atlantic Coast Conference opponents.

"I think it's great for Jeff," Popovich said off Bzdelik, fired by the Nuggets on Dec. 26 last season. "He went through Hell when he was here. He's a hell of a coach, and his colleagues all knew he was a hell of a coach. Sometimes, circumstances don't allow that to be seen."

Popovich always admired Bzdelik's no-nonsense approach to basketball and recommended him for the Air Force job when it opened after the last college season.

"For us grads, it's fun to want to pick up the paper and see how they did and see if they actually might be on some ESPN2 game we might be able to watch," Popovich said.

Camby frustrated: Denver's Marcus Camby, the NBA's rebounding leader, won't know until next week how long he is going to be sidelined after undergoing surgery to repair the broken pinkie on his right hand. His hand is in a hard cast, but will be placed in a softer splint and be re-examined.

"It's frustrating," said Camby, 31, who has been plagued by injuries for much of his career. "I'm just disappointed I'm not out there with my teammates. We're going through a trying time right now, and I'm one of the leaders of this team."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA010106.10C.BKNspurs.notebook.2d342cf.html

polandprzem
01-01-2006, 07:44 AM
I wonder the palne smell after their trip :)
On the second hand I'm not wondering :(

The interesting thing is the media have to do their job.
Couldn't they interviwed them under the shower? They will save time and their noses out there. Are the NBA players shy?

ALVAREZ6
01-01-2006, 10:07 AM
:lol

angel_luv
01-01-2006, 10:17 AM
I heard Bill Shoening say the team had to rush for the plane but I assumed it was Denver who had the bad weather.

polandprzem
01-01-2006, 10:25 AM
I heard Bill Shoening say the team had to rush for the plane but I assumed it was Denver who had the bad weather.
Now you have an excuse for not taking a shower :rolleyes

boutons_
01-01-2006, 10:26 AM
So what happened? Did the Spurs make it to SA Sat night?

angel_luv
01-01-2006, 10:37 AM
Won't know for sure until the news tonight- unless someone has a new year's day sighting! :spin

ObiwanGinobili
01-01-2006, 10:41 AM
"Sorry, guys, this is going to be nasty, what I have to do," Spurs guard Manu Ginobili said to reporters scrambling for postgame quotes as he reached under his sweatshirt to apply some much-needed deodorant, "but I've got to do this."

There were no complaints from the assembled media types.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

T Park
01-01-2006, 11:32 AM
who is Sharon Valerii?

1Parker1
01-01-2006, 12:45 PM
The interesting thing is the media have to do their job.
Couldn't they interviwed them under the shower? They will save time and their noses out there. Are the NBA players shy?

**Raises hand. Hmmmm, I wouldn't mind doing that. An in depth Tony Parker interview, that is...:angel

Athenea
01-01-2006, 01:25 PM
^^^ :lol :smokin :spin

1Parker1
01-01-2006, 01:31 PM
^^:lol And Athenea kindly offers to do an in depth Manu Ginobili interview :angel

boutons_
01-01-2006, 01:38 PM
hey ladies, just don't drop you microphones in the showers. :)

Solid D
01-01-2006, 01:40 PM
No showers? No biggie for the Euros. ;)

Athenea
01-01-2006, 01:55 PM
hey ladies, just don't drop you microphones in the showers. :)
I have fragile hands :spin

Summers
01-01-2006, 02:04 PM
**Raises hand. Hmmmm, I wouldn't mind doing that. An in depth Tony Parker interview, that is...:angel

Dibs on Duncan.

hendrix
01-01-2006, 02:18 PM
No showers? No biggie for the Euros. ;)

Speaks from a country where bidets are uncommon.

ChumpDumper
01-01-2006, 02:43 PM
http://www.pottytrainingconcepts.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/Cottonelle_Wipes_BIG.jpg

spurschick
01-01-2006, 05:14 PM
who is Sharon Valerii?

Human/Cylon on Battlestar Galactica

Summers
01-01-2006, 05:18 PM
Speaks from a country where bidets are uncommon.

Our mothers teach us to wipe our butts at an early age. :)

Phonzie20
01-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Atheana....

Athena, the Greek goddess of wisdom, war, the arts, industry, justice and skill. She was the favorite child of Zeus. She had sprung fully grown out of her father's head. Her mother was Metis, goddess of wisdom and Zeus' first wife. In fear that Metis would bear a son mightier than himself. Zeus swallowed her and she began to make a robe and helmet for her daughter. The hammering of the helmet caused Zeus great pain in the form of headaches and he cried out in agony. Skilled Hephaestus ran to his father and split his skull open and from it emerged Athena, fully grown and wearing her mother's robe and helmet. She is the virgin mother of Erichthnonius.

spurs=bling
01-01-2006, 06:32 PM
http://www.pottytrainingconcepts.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/Cottonelle_Wipes_BIG.jpg
:lmao

but them not taking a shower is just plain nasty

spurschick
01-01-2006, 06:36 PM
Should this happen again, I humbly volunteer to give sponge baths on the plane ride home. Some may take longer than others. :devil

Phonzie20
01-01-2006, 06:39 PM
:lmao

but them not taking a shower is just plain nasty

Back in the day you could 'smell' a town as you got closer. Crazy cowboy towns.

RogerIsEatingASandwich
01-01-2006, 06:41 PM
EEk! :lol

1Parker1
01-01-2006, 08:18 PM
Should this happen again, I humbly volunteer to give sponge baths on the plane ride home. Some may take longer than others. :devil

:lol Damn, now why didn't I think of that myself...?

spurschick
01-01-2006, 08:27 PM
:lol Damn, now why didn't I think of that myself...?

You're probably not as evil as I am. :lol

polandprzem
01-01-2006, 08:44 PM
"-Ladies are hired to shower the NBA players"

Athenea
01-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Atheana....

Athena, the Greek goddess of wisdom, war, the arts, industry, justice and skill. She was the favorite child of Zeus. She had sprung fully grown out of her father's head. Her mother was Metis, goddess of wisdom and Zeus' first wife. In fear that Metis would bear a son mightier than himself. Zeus swallowed her and she began to make a robe and helmet for her daughter. The hammering of the helmet caused Zeus great pain in the form of headaches and he cried out in agony. Skilled Hephaestus ran to his father and split his skull open and from it emerged Athena, fully grown and wearing her mother's robe and helmet. She is the virgin mother of Erichthnonius.
Hmmm that's Athena u r talking about right there (my nick is a "latinalization" of Athena :spin ). I'd rather follow Robert Graves' POV about Ancient myths.
Athena was the incarnation of all virtues and plenty of the ones that are usually awarded to men.
Plato compared Athena with the Libyan goddess Neith, that dates back to an age in which fatherhood was not recognized, before the Creto-Minoic culture had flourished.
For the Pelasgians, she was born near the Tritonis Lake in Libya, where she was found and raised by the Three Nymphs of Libya, who worn in goat pelt. When the goddess accidentally killed her friend Pallas, she became Pallas Athena. She finally settled down near the Triton River in Beocia.
Triton, Tritonis or Tritone mentioned in this myth means “third queen” such as one of the divine persons of the goddess triad. The deity trinity represented the young, middle-aged and old woman. Tritone refers to the elderly one. Each one of the hostess of the triad were deified assuming different names and cults, and embodying definite qualities: strength, fertility and wisdom.
Later on, this mythical explanation was left aside and replaced by a different "fable" that was told by the main priests of Athena (the one u quoted).
Basically Zeus couldn't have been Athena's father coz Athena predecessed him.
For the mythologists, this one was a desperately attempt to deprive Athena of all her matriarchal conditions and wisdom aptitudes too, conceiving the last ones as male privileges or prerogatives. Till then, only goddesses had been “wise”.
The changes introduced in myths along centuries were signs of deep changes in the socio-political environment of Greek society. The Greeks leave behind the matriarchy and embraced the patriarchy and religion tried to keep people affection, by telling stories the way they wanted to be heard -since the immigration of Libyan refugees to Crete Island about 4000 years before Christ, who brought into Greece the worship of Athena-, to the political intrigues against the ruler matriarchy usually in the form of rebellion by the sovereign queen’s husband (who held no power at all). :lol

hussker
01-01-2006, 10:19 PM
WHOOP SPURS!!!!

http://image54.webshots.com/54/6/38/13/511063813WtfMkr_ph.jpg