PDA

View Full Version : Pacers coach expects significant changes

ducks
06-04-2004, 01:05 PM
Carlisle sees 'glut' of players at small forward
[email protected]
June 4, 2004
They're young, they're deep, they won a franchise-record 61 games and they reached the Eastern Conference finals.

All well and good, but the Indiana Pacers' roster is tilting and in need of some repair.
"This is an unbalanced roster," coach Rick Carlisle said Thursday when he met the media for the first time since Tuesday's playoff elimination in Detroit. "There are a glut of guys at the small forward spot, and there haven't been enough minutes.
"I don't think this team will be back in our exact form next year. I just think there will be some changes, through free agency, the draft or trades. There's going to be some things that are different, without question."
The conflicting talents and ambitions of Ron Artest, Al Harrington and Jonathan Bender create the most likely scenario for change, and the greatest opportunity to address weaknesses.
Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said Thursday the primary objectives are to get bigger and add perimeter shooting. But although team president Larry Bird handles personnel matters, the offseason approach will remain the same as always."This is a team that got to the final four," Walsh said. "It's certainly not a team you look to break up. But we know there are some elements we want to see in our team."We'll be talking trades. If the right trades come up, we'll do them. If they don't, we won't."
Harrington, runner-up for Sixth Man of the Year honors in his sixth season with the Pacers, has drawn the most trade speculation. He, like the rest of the players, was unavailable for comment Thursday, but it has long been understood that he is growing impatient with coming off the bench.Harrington averaged 13.3 points during the regular season, when he started 15 games, and 9.5 points in the conference finals.
"This has been a tough situation for Al," Carlisle said. "I view him as a starter in this league. As the summer progresses we'll see what takes form. If there was the opportunity for him to be a starter here, that would be great. If there isn't, it may be time for him to move on to another team."
The status of 17-year veteran Reggie Miller also is in doubt, mostly because Miller refused to answer when asked if he would return following Tuesday's loss to the Pistons. Miller signed a three-year contract last summer and has said nothing to team officials about retiring. He turns 39 in August, however, and his scoring average dropped to 10 points, matching that of his rookie season for a career low.
"When you get to be that age, there are a lot of things to consider," Carlisle said. "But I'm hopeful that he'll play. Very much so."

There has been some speculation that Miller might come off the bench next season, but Carlisle said he doubts that would happen.

"If he returns for an 18th year, my feeling would be he probably would be a starter next year," Carlisle said.
Bird, who met with the players as they cleaned out their lockers Wednesday, was not available Thursday. Walsh, however, said Miller has said nothing about retiring.
"I expect Reggie back," Walsh said. "He hasn't said anything to indicate he wouldn't."

In other developments:

• The Pacers will have the mid-level ($5.1 million) and million-dollar ($1.6 million) exceptions to lure free agents, and league officials do not expect a luxury tax to be imposed next summer. Walsh, however, said there's no guarantee the exceptions will be used on free agents.
"You have to look at your self-imposed budget," he said.

• Bender will divide his time between New Orleans, where he makes his offseason home, and Indianapolis. But wherever he is, the Pacers will stay in contact.
"This summer is a really important summer for him," Carlisle said. "He made great strides this year. He had stretches where his play was nothing less than breathtaking. But with the occasional injuries, it made it hard for him to develop a level of consistency. He's a guy who can do things that nobody else on our roster can do. At 7 feet tall he can shoot 3s, he can post up, he drives the ball, he can block shots."
• Carlisle said Bender has been asked to participate on the Pacers' summer league team, which will compete in Salt Lake City in July. Fred Jones, Primoz Brezec and James Jones also will be expected to play, although Fred Jones might require minor surgery to repair strained ligaments in his left shoulder and Brezec might have a conflict with the Slovenian national team. Jamison Brewer will play if he re-signs.
Carlisle would like to see the team re-sign Brewer, who played in just 13 games and averaged 2.5 points.
"He's a guy I'd like to see back here because of his competitiveness and the fact he's a young guy," Carlisle said. "He has a great upside."
• Jamaal Tinsley has earned a foothold on the point guard position.

"I really like Jamaal and liked what he did," Carlisle said. "I liked how he approached the entire season. Right now it's his job to lose."

Free-agent backup Kenny Anderson will sign with another team unless he receives assurances of more playing time. Anthony Johnson, who played extensively as a backup, can opt out of his contract.
• Scot Pollard, acquired last summer in a trade for Brad Miller, has not asked for a trade, according to Carlisle. But Carlisle acknowledged he expected Pollard to play more. The 29-year-old center averaged just 1.7 points.

• The Pacers began working out draft prospects on Wednesday. Purdue guard Kenneth Lowe is among the eight players they have seen so farlink (http://www.indystar.com/articles/4/152258-6774-036.html)