PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Day Traditions

Kori Ellis
01-01-2006, 05:18 PM
Do you and your family have any traditions on New Year's Day? (And you can skip the "sober up" jokes, etc.)

Our family tradition growing up is that we all got together for New Year's Day dinner and ate a meal of:

Pork Roast
Dumplings
Sauerkraut

My grandma also told me that you can't fight/argue with anyone on New Year's Day because that means you'll have problems with them all year.

So what do you guys eat/do on New Year's Day?

Jekka
01-01-2006, 05:20 PM
I think the only real family tradition mine has ever had for the new year is that you have to eat black-eyed peas that day - I think that's pretty common though.

spurschick
01-01-2006, 05:21 PM
We never had any family traditions growing up, although I do remember my parents in serious hangover mode. My New Year's Day in my adult life has usually involved watching some kind of sporting event, whether it's football or basketball, and some good time napping. :spin

Kori Ellis
01-01-2006, 05:21 PM
I think the only real family tradition mine has ever had for the new year is that you have to eat black-eyed peas that day - I think that's pretty common though.

LJ just told me that too. Where does that come from? Is it a Texas thing?

Jekka
01-01-2006, 05:25 PM
LJ just told me that too. Where does that come from? Is it a Texas thing?

I don't think it's just Texas, my mom and her family have always done it and they're all from Arkansas. Maybe it's a Southern thing.

Samr
01-01-2006, 05:51 PM
The black-eyed pea tradition originated during the Civil War. From my understanding of it, some of the northern soldiers raided a town in the South, and took basically everything they had except for the black-eyed peas and some pork. That's all they had to eat on New Year's day so apparently that became good luck.

Still doesn't change the fact that black-eyed peas are disgusting or that the fried okra at the restaurant is surprisingly good.

spurs=bling
01-01-2006, 06:28 PM
My grandma also told me that you can't fight/argue with anyone on New Year's Day because that means you'll have problems with them all year.

we sorta have a thing like that

and what we eat is BBQ, and another thing is watch our dad get wasted.

Tres_Till_it_MHz
01-01-2006, 06:42 PM
12 grapes for 12 wishes, i don't think it works though...

Samr
01-01-2006, 06:55 PM
and what we eat is BBQ, and another thing is watch our dad get wasted.

ahahahaha!!!! :lmao

I'm not sure if you worded it that way intentionally, but that was pretty damn funny. Also if I were you I would have fun with the Chewbacca references. Though I'm sure she's probably nice.

midgetonadonkey
01-01-2006, 06:56 PM
Growing up we my dad and I would sit and watch bowl games all day. Now they don't even show any on New Year's Day.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-01-2006, 07:07 PM
i had no idea black eyed peas were such a common thing

N.Y. Johnny
01-01-2006, 08:53 PM
i went and put new coins face up on some of the windows for luck, its one of those fuckin crazy ass Sicilian things that has been passed on down the years.

T Park
01-01-2006, 09:56 PM
Now they don't even show any on New Year's Day.

Cause NYD fell on a sunday, and college football has an agreement not to play on days the NFL plays on.

Horry For 3!
01-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Not really. Just drink some Champange, thats about it.

Old School Chic
01-01-2006, 11:15 PM
Get together @ Mom's house for a hot bowl of Menudo.

hussker
01-01-2006, 11:27 PM
We used to watch the Huskers compete for a national title...now we just hope they get in a bowl game between Christmas and New Years Day... Nonetheless, Happy Holidays from...
HUSSKER!!!!

GO BIG RED!!!!!

http://image54.webshots.com/54/3/97/96/533239796evesqe_ph.jpg

David Bowie
01-02-2006, 12:44 AM
Well, my family is Russian. And for us, New Years is much like Christmass for the Americans. so we usually gather alltogether and have dinner and have a drink and toast to a good year :)