PDA

View Full Version : Texans to fire Capers, keep GM

ducks
01-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Texans to fire Capers, keep GM
By KRISTIE RIEKEN, AP Sports Writer
January 1, 2006

HOUSTON (AP) -- The Houston Texans will fire coach Dom Capers, but will retain general manager Charley Casserly, a person close to the organization told The Associated Press on Sunday.

The Texans plan to make the announcement Monday, according to the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity. The team lost Sunday to the San Francisco 49ers to finish the season 2-14, the worst record in the NFL and the worst record in the Texans' four-season history.

ADVERTISEMENT
The firing would make the second time Capers, 55, has been released from an expansion team in its fourth season. He was let go by the Carolina Panthers in 1998.

Capers' plan for bringing along the Texans slowly and building for future success worked well until this season. The Texans won seven games last season after winning five in 2003 and four in their first season.

Houston opened this season 0-6 before beating Cleveland and then losing six more. The Texans got a win over the Arizona Cardinals and then lost their last two games. They own the top pick in April's draft.

Capers, who has one year remaining on his five-year Texans contract worth $9.5 million, was hailed as an expansion wizard after leading Carolina to seven wins in its first season and the NFC title game in the team's second year in 1996. The feat earned him NFL Coach of the Year honors.

Things went downhill from there and Capers was fired after the Panthers went 4-12 in 1998.

He worked for two years as defensive coordinator for the Jacksonville Jaguars before he was hired by the Texans in January 2001.

He began his coaching career at Kent State in 1972 as a graduate assistant and spent three seasons there while earning a masters degree in administration. He was also a college assistant at Washington, Hawaii, San Jose State, California, Tennessee and Ohio State.

His first pro job came when he joined Jim Mora's staff in the USFL. Capers made it to the NFL in 1986 when he went with Mora to New Orleans.

He became defensive coordinator at Pittsburgh in 1992 before being hired in Carolina in 1995.

ducks
01-01-2006, 10:25 PM
The firing would make the second time Capers, 55, has been released from an expansion team in its fourth season. He was let go by the Carolina Panthers in 1998.

my2sons
01-02-2006, 12:46 AM
All i've been hearing the last couple of years is how awful the gm was and thats the guy their keeping. no wonder i could not root for the texans, i was an avid oiler fan, but could not root for a city that could have kept the oilers but instead spend all that extra money on a stadium and an expansion team, instead of building a stadium for a team that was a yard away from a title.

Horry For 3!
01-02-2006, 01:00 AM
It was obvious that Capers was going to be gone but I would have thought the GM was gone too.

exstatic
01-02-2006, 01:56 AM
They should have fired both of them. That roster is almost bereft of talent, and that's on the GM.

Extra Stout
01-02-2006, 02:24 PM
That headline should be "Texans resolve to suck through end of decade."

N.Y. Johnny
01-02-2006, 03:00 PM
Charley Casserly is the big reason the Texas sucked, he put the fuckin team together!!!!

He was always overrated...Washington won those Super Bowls in the 80s because of Joe Gibbs not Casserly

chode_regulator
01-02-2006, 03:13 PM
That headline should be "Texans resolve to suck through end of decade."
lol
pretty much what theyre guaranteeing byu keeping the gm. coach can aonly do so much with what he has.

blaze89
01-02-2006, 03:38 PM
Why is the GM keeping his job?

CrashMag
01-02-2006, 03:54 PM
do you think getting bush will help????
Or should they work on an o line and keep
davis???

chode_regulator
01-02-2006, 05:28 PM
do you think getting bush will help????
Or should they work on an o line and keep
davis???
keep davis. he is just under 1000 yds, top 20 in rb rushing yds, and top 10 in ypg. bush isnt so good he'll make you go from shitty to playoffs. look at cleveland and lebron.
trade your drafts and get some other keypersonel. now if you took bush and put him in a high powered offense then yes he would be badass. but even the best player cant do anythnig without a good team around him.

CrashMag
01-02-2006, 06:10 PM
but even the best player cant do anythnig without a good team around him.
What about berry sanders???

Horry For 3!
01-02-2006, 07:33 PM
Berry?????? :pctoss Barry Sanders.

exstatic
01-02-2006, 09:03 PM
Bush is a huge talent, but he has question marks. He's NEVER averaged 20 carries per game. Can he hold up to the pounding? I think he'd be best on a team that could use him in a multiple role: give him some carries, split him out for receptions, and have him return kicks. Whatever team drafts him is going to be my fantasy defense/special teams pick next year.

I think Deangelo Williams and Bush's teammate Lendale White are better plug in backs for every down duty. White's going to surprise a lot of people. He's a horse.

chode_regulator
01-02-2006, 09:54 PM
whats your point?
how many times did the lions go to the super bowl, much less the playoffs wtih barry?
back to my point with the chiefs, you have to have a solid team, not just a great one sided team to go anywhere in the nfl.

Chris
01-02-2006, 11:16 PM
lol
pretty much what theyre guaranteeing byu keeping the gm. coach can aonly do so much with what he has.

Tell that to Tom Landry.

T Park
01-03-2006, 02:45 AM
If I were the Texans.

Id draft Bush, and trade him for young players and lots of picks.

Stock up on offensive lineman.

If they had any kind of offensive line this year, they would've won 8 games.

Defense needs additions too.

Texans were so darn close too.

Horry For 3!
01-03-2006, 04:21 AM
Bush is a huge talent, but he has question marks. He's NEVER averaged 20 carries per game. Can he hold up to the pounding? I think he'd be best on a team that could use him in a multiple role: give him some carries, split him out for receptions, and have him return kicks. Whatever team drafts him is going to be my fantasy defense/special teams pick next year.

I think Deangelo Williams and Bush's teammate Lendale White are better plug in backs for every down duty. White's going to surprise a lot of people. He's a horse.
A lot of Mock Drafts have LenDale White going to the Steelers since Bettis is suppose to be gone after this season.