PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay's Mike Sherman Fired

Pistons < Spurs
01-02-2006, 01:38 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AmFMgecb7CtC1PB0CMgQzfFDubYF?slug=ap-packers-shermanfired&prov=ap&type=lgns

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- The Green Bay Packers fired coach Mike Sherman on Monday, a day after finishing their worst season in 15 years.

The Packers beat the Seattle Seahawks Sunday, as Brett Favre threw his first touchdown pass in five games. But they still finished with a 4-12 record.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson said the decision to fire Sherman wasn't based on the team's fortunes this season.

"I think our team hung in there very well and played under some very difficult circumstances and played hard each and every week," Thompson said. "This was more thinking in terms of where we are and where we need to get to. And again, it was what I thought was best for the Green Bay Packers over the long haul."

Thompson informed Sherman of the decision early Monday morning. He said Sherman expressed surprise and disappointment.

Thompson then told the players.

"My talk with them was very brief, and it was a very quiet and somber room," Thompson said.

But Thompson said he has not discussed the decision with Favre, who has not committed to returning next season and has hinted that he might be less likely to return if it meant learning a new offensive system and a new coaching staff.

Thompson said he wants Favre to return as the team's quarterback next year. But he reiterated several times that his decision to fire Sherman was based on what he thought was best for the team in the long term.

"Eventually Brett Favre's going to retire and go back to Mississippi," Thompson said. "But that didn't have any sway in this particular decision, no."

Thompson brushed off Favre's concerns about learning a new offensive system. "He's a pretty bright guy," Thompson said.

Packers defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila said Sherman addressed the team for about 15 minutes Monday morning, and the players gave him a standing ovation.

"I'm just really shocked because of how hard Coach Sherman works," Gbaja-Biamila said. "When you think of someone getting fired, you think of someone as lazy, don't work hard, don't put effort into it. He's the epitome of a professional."

Defensive tackle Grady Jackson, one of several Packers veterans who will become free agents, expressed support for Sherman.

Green Bay Packers coach Mike Sherman paces the sidelines during their NFL football game against the Seattle Seahawks Sunday, Jan. 1, 2006, in Green Bay, Wis. Packers general manager Ted Thompson announced Monday, Jan. 2, 2006, that Sherman was fired after the team's 4-12 season.

"He just told us to keep our heads up. ... Mike was a great guy and I know he'll be coaching somewhere else," Jackson said. "Wherever he goes, I won't mind playing for Mike Sherman. He's just that great of a guy."

Sherman's first five years brought success. Even with this year's 4-12 record, Sherman's record over six seasons with the Packers is 57-39.

But he didn't bring another championship to Titletown.

Sherman was just 2-4 in the playoffs despite winning three consecutive division titles for only the fourth time in team history -- joining Vince Lombardi, who did it twice (1960-62, 1965-67) and Mike Holmgren (1995-97). The other two coaches won Super Bowl titles, but a Sherman-led team never made it to the NFC championship game.

Sherman, who signed a two-year contract extension in August, said throughout the year he wasn't concerned about his position and didn't feel he was coaching for his job.

But Thompson sidestepped questions about Sherman's future in recent weeks and never gave him a public vote of confidence even after Sunday's victory.

Thompson said he would start interviewing head coaching candidates this week.

He said he wasn't concerned about a perceived lack of attractive candidates -- even with several other NFL coaching jobs coming open this week.

Thompson said the decision to fire Sherman was a difficult one.

"It's not an easy thing for anyone to do," Thompson said. "Mike Sherman's a good man."

AP Sports Writer Colin Fly in Green Bay contributed to this report.

Duff McCartney
01-02-2006, 01:39 PM
Not surprised. Sherman was terrible...but the Packers are terrible too.

Horry For 3!
01-02-2006, 01:46 PM
Favre said he probably won't be back if Sherman is fired because they're good friends.

So as he left the game yesterday and hearing about this, i'm 85% sure, Favre is going to retire.

chode_regulator
01-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Favre said he probably won't be back if Sherman is fired because they're good friends.

So as he left the game yesterday and hearing about this, i'm 85% sure, Favre is going to retire.
yeah i remember favre pretty muchsaying if sherman wasnt back that he wouldnt be back either. maybe its a way for them to kill two birds with one stone and not make it look like they dont want favre anymore.

but the Packers are terrible too
actually iwouldnt call the packers terrible. they had a shitload of injuries this year, including at least 4 rb's. not sure if that latest one came back from his injury ornot. plus key injuries in other positions. i wouldnt be too surprised to see them in the playoffs next year. maybe not now that theyre getting a new coach but i would bet alot of mhy own money they would be in the playoffs next year if sherman had stayed.

chode_regulator
01-02-2006, 01:58 PM
now that sherman's gone, two of my 3 fav teams are without head coaches now.

ducks
01-02-2006, 05:42 PM
favre has said he would retire if they did this

FAVRE IS GONE DONE FINALLY

ducks
01-02-2006, 05:42 PM

favre played all game (he is done)
the game before yesterday rodgers played

chode_regulator
01-02-2006, 06:00 PM
favre has said he would retire if they did this

FAVRE IS GONE DONE FINALLY
im afraid so. he did say if martz left he would too. sad day for the nfl.
im prtty pissed that they didnt show the game here. especially since they were showing the kc game on cbs and cut to the miami game after kc went up big in the 3rd and on fox they showed the shitty ass panthers, i hate living in north carolina. possibly favres last game and it wasnt even aired nationally. pathetic.