PDA

View Full Version : Did this bother anyone else?

birdy219
01-02-2006, 04:02 PM
I have league pass and was forced to listen to Denver's homer announcers. :pctoss
Every chance they got, they ragged on Manu calling him a flopper and ALL he does is put his head down and run into people. Manu does flop, but they kept repeating the same ole jargon every time he touched the ball. Oh the killer was when their player flopped, they said "Good Call for the Charge." When Manu did it, they said, "The league needs to do something about this flopping; it's ruining the game." It was so hypocritical for them to constantly insult Manu just because their coaches, players, and fans are PETRIFIED of him.

Anyway, wasn't it great to see Manu respond to the booing the way that he did? Manu said, "Boo this, HATERS" :baby

Go Spurs, Go Manu! :elephant

E20
01-02-2006, 04:07 PM
They were saying boo-urns, boo-urns

spurschick
01-02-2006, 04:09 PM
I'm not sure where you live, but if you have to watch the games on League Pass, I'll assume that you're not in SA. You can always turn to the sound off and stream 1200 WOAI. You can get the full homer effect that way. :spin

angel_luv
01-02-2006, 04:12 PM
It was so stupid the way Gino was boo-ed every time he touched the ball. What did they think he was going to do... run back to the bench crying?

ObiwanGinobili
01-02-2006, 04:14 PM
It was so stupid the way Gino was boo-ed every time he touched the ball. What did they think he was going to do... run back to the bench crying?

:lmao :lmao

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-02-2006, 04:18 PM
They were saying boo-urns, boo-urns

:lol

http://www.thesimpsonsquotes.com/images/moleman.gif

Marklar MM
01-02-2006, 04:33 PM
Well, it is the home teams feed they show. If you catch ours with Laimbeer and Blaha, Blaha usually is the energetic one who talks a bit more evenly between the teams...Laimbeer will just rip on other teams players. But the way Laimbeer says it just makes it sound hilarious.

Spurminator
01-02-2006, 04:35 PM
I'm not sure where you live, but if you have to watch the games on League Pass, I'll assume that you're not in SA. You can always turn to the sound off and stream 1200 WOAI. You can get the full homer effect that way. :spin

Don't think you can stream games online, but depending on where you are, WOAI comes in on your radio in many places...

ChumpDumper
01-02-2006, 04:38 PM
I don't see how we can complain about other teams' announcers being homers when our own color man got T-ed up during a game for arguing a call with an official.

Pistons < Spurs
01-02-2006, 04:40 PM
Well, it is the home teams feed they show. If you catch ours with Laimbeer and Blaha, Blaha usually is the energetic one who talks a bit more evenly between the teams...Laimbeer will just rip on other teams players. But the way Laimbeer says it just makes it sound hilarious.

I simply cannot listen to Lambier when he does games. He's too busy being a fan to ever be a commentator.

It's too bad. Blaha is great, but Lamb just kills it for me w/ his over the top Homerism.

birdy219
01-02-2006, 04:46 PM
I don't see how we can complain about other teams' announcers being homers when our own color man got T-ed up during a game for arguing a call with an official.

I wouldn't mind him defending his players. But he was ripping Manu at every opportunity. He was basically calling for Stern, the refs, and other players to go after Manu (specifically) not flopping in general. I can't get 1200 WOAI in my house. I have to go in my car and drive around. I have never heard Sean or any of the Spurs announcers crucify another player's game like they were doing to Manu. Manu played about 24 minutes. At least for 20 min. of his playing time, they were calling him a flopper and bad for the NBA. I wanted Manu to flop his RINGS in their faces. :lol

Pistons < Spurs
01-02-2006, 04:59 PM
I can't get 1200 WOAI in my house. I have to go in my car and drive around.

You can listen to it from your computer:

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=634A919E-9102-4F7A-AE78-9ADB48826BBC

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-02-2006, 05:21 PM
I thought WOAI.com didn't have the license to stream NBA games. You might have to buy the Audio League Pass.

T Park
01-02-2006, 05:42 PM

First amendment last i checked let us.

And he was warned, not Ted up.

ahb
01-02-2006, 05:43 PM
I simply cannot listen to Lambier when he does games. He's too busy being a fan to ever be a commentator.
I don't think Laimbeer is really that much of a homer. He's cruel, cynical, and petty towards other teams and their fans, yes, but he doesn't stand out of a crowd of color commentators in his attitude towards his own team. George Blaha is the man.

Now, Fred McLeod, on the other hand, is so over-the-top that he's completely unlistenable. I refuse to watch the FSN-Detroit telecasts; I follow the boxscore online and/or listen to the WDFN stream.

All of the Spurs announcers are fine, except for Sean Elliott, who is a jackass.

I watched the game birdy219 spoke of on league pass and thought the Denver announcers were pretty funny. I hate Manu's game, though, so that might color my opinion.

Dre_7
01-02-2006, 05:43 PM
I have league pass and was forced to listen to Denver's homer announcers. :pctoss
Every chance they got, they ragged on Manu calling him a flopper and ALL he does is put his head down and run into people. Manu does flop, but they kept repeating the same ole jargon every time he touched the ball. Oh the killer was when their player flopped, they said "Good Call for the Charge." When Manu did it, they said, "The league needs to do something about this flopping; it's ruining the game." It was so hypocritical for them to constantly insult Manu just because their coaches, players, and fans are PETRIFIED of him.

Anyway, wasn't it great to see Manu respond to the booing the way that he did? Manu said, "Boo this, HATERS" :baby

Well, they are Denver fans. :lol No one will take anything they say seriously.

Sides, they are just taking after their overrated head coach.

Also, you got scoreboard on them, so screw em. :D

birdy219
01-02-2006, 05:51 PM
Well, they are Denver fans. :lol No one will take anything they say seriously.

Sides, they are just taking after their overrated head coach.

Also, you got scoreboard on them, so screw em. :D

You are soooo right. I really thought that the Sonic fans were the biggest crybabies, maybe it's just their leader. But these Denver homers might be a little worse because they have their coach, fans, and players as a part of the cry me a river club. :cry :cry :td

leemajors
01-02-2006, 06:29 PM
i can see how you could think elliot is a jackass, but i don't really agree. he is very spurs homerish, but he is not overly biased and doesn't bash on other teams. i prefer a former player announcer being a homer to one going out of their way to seem unbiased, like troy aikman for example. maybe it's just he has been too close to joe buck for too long though. that guy is steadily moving up the horrible announcing ladder, soon to join brent musberger and jim lampley in the hall of suck. i'm just glad fox doesn't do basketball, joe buck sucks ass.

FromWayDowntown
01-02-2006, 07:13 PM
I'm dumbfounded how any basketball fan could hate Manu's game.

Hate the guy, sure. Hate the game? I don't really get it.

As for announcer homerism, it's hardly anything new. People play to their audiences. After last season's playoffs, fans in Denver and Seattle have come to believe that Manu Ginobili is on a level with the antichrist. In broadcasts to those cities, it makes sense to me that announcers would be highly critical of Ginobili, even at the cost of being horrendously inconsistent in their analysis.

I went to Game 4 in Seattle, sat 10 rows off the floor, and endured Sonics fans openly and loudly imploring players to injure Ginobili and other Spurs. I guess if you have no other chance, you do what you can, but that was just ridiculous. I dislike Ray Allen, but I would never want to see him hurt and I certainly would never root for anyone to intentionally hurt him. It's only a game, after all.

Spurminator
01-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Hate the guy, sure. Hate the game? I don't really get it.

I can see how some would feel he's a little too animated in his foul-drawing.

T Park
01-02-2006, 07:21 PM
All of the Spurs announcers are fine, except for Sean Elliott, who is a jackass

typical stupid uninformed fan without a sense of humor.

Sportman
01-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Thatīs beautiful. If i were manu, i would feel great about that because that means that he is very respected within the league. I personally feel prouded when i hear that manu is hated because of his play :lol :lol :lol

pjjrfan
01-02-2006, 07:31 PM
They are just jealous cause Manu didn't sign with them. I don't think Manu cares at all that anyone boos him or degrades his game. I think that's one of his strengths, I remember in 03 when he took the ball from Jefferson in game 6 that changed the momentum of that game, and after he dunked it, Jefferson was trying to stare him down and Manu just ignored him and got on the baseline to defend the inbounds pass, Classic Manu, doesn't dance or celebrate, it's always come on lets go after he makes a great play.

FromWayDowntown
01-02-2006, 07:32 PM
I can see how some would feel he's a little too animated in his foul-drawing.

Like I say, hate the guy. He can be vilified for his flopping and because he tears the hearts out of other teams' fans.

But the actual game that he plays is something that NBA fans should love and appreciate: fearless drives, fabulous passes, filthy moves, and fantastic finishes.

He's very much like John Stockton in that sense; the game is just wonderful even if some might not root for the guy.

ahb
01-02-2006, 07:33 PM
FromWayDowntown, I don't really have a reason for disliking Manu's game. It's obviously highly effective, and I'm not one of the people who feels he "gets away with" doing things any more than any other NBA star. I just find it aesthetically unpleasant. Now, Tim Duncan? I could watch him all day. The precision and efficiency of the Spurs team is beautiful, and Manu just sticks out as... graceless. Irrational opinion. :)

I don't really want to get into my issues with Sean Elliott, which are old and not really relevant. But, as I said, the rest of the Spurs announcers are quite solid. Even if I disliked the Spurs, I think I could listen to them without having my hackles raised. That's a great deal more than can be said for most of the commentators out there.

pjjrfan
01-02-2006, 07:59 PM
Like I say, hate the guy. He can be vilified for his flopping and because he tears the hearts out of other teams' fans.

But the actual game that he plays is something that NBA fans should love and appreciate: fearless drives, fabulous passes, filthy moves, and fantastic finishes.

He's very much like John Stockton in that sense; the game is just wonderful even if some might not root for the guy.

Add to that a burning passion for the game. Manu reminds me of the guy with no talent who when he gets the chance to play leaves it all on the floor, fearing that after this game he won't get picked again. The beautiful thing about Manu is that he has tremoundous talent yet he plays like he has to work harder and better than anyone else. It's hard to describe, but I love his game, it inspires me as much as seeing Kobe, AI, MJ, Bird and Magic, all the way back to Tiny Archbald, Walt Frazier, Pearl Monroe, all guys I loved to watch as I grew up and Manu IMO inspires that awe in me also.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and in my eyes, Manu is rare gem.

spurschick
01-02-2006, 08:16 PM
As pointed out in the article posted:

"It's kind of fun," Ginobili said of the nasty vocal response from Denver's fans, who took their cue from Karl after he complained about Ginobili's style of play during the Spurs' 4-1 first-round playoff series victory. "It doesn't happen everywhere, and the reason why they do it is a very good one. Yeah, I enjoy it."

Solid D
01-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Add to that a burning passion for the game. Manu reminds me of the guy with no talent who when he gets the chance to play leaves it all on the floor, fearing that after this game he won't get picked again. The beautiful thing about Manu is that he has tremoundous talent yet he plays like he has to work harder and better than anyone else. It's hard to describe, but I love his game, it inspires me as much as seeing Kobe, AI, MJ, Bird and Magic, all the way back to Tiny Archbald, Walt Frazier, Pearl Monroe, all guys I loved to watch as I grew up and Manu IMO inspires that awe in me also.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and in my eyes, Manu is rare gem.

Well said. You are someone who understands basketball. Most of the hate is because of how frustrating he can be to other teams. Manu sees the game as few do, or have done.

When Manu is healthy, it often seems like there are 3 or 4 Ginobilis on the court.

Solid D
01-02-2006, 09:04 PM
"Everybody should be a Ginobili fan. He does whatever it takes to help his team win. He makes an imprint on the game. A lot of guys play without leaving an imprint. Ginobili always leaves his." - Charles Barkley

doldrums
01-02-2006, 11:26 PM
Hold on, Hold on, Hold on!I watched that telecast too and they also said that he is one of the most versatile players in the league and how hard it is to cover him and how he does very little wrong. Then they went out of their way to say despite the flopping , he is one great player. So they understand the type of player he is,and yeah they're admittedly homers.

Mixability
01-03-2006, 10:03 AM

What do we expect when we boo Kobe? :rolleyes
We boo the enemy because we respect their game, we try to throw them off. We're scared when they have the ball in their hands. But the boos rarely affect them. What would really throw them off is if we're completely silent when they touch the ball. :lol

angel_luv
01-03-2006, 10:21 AM
What would really throw them off is if we're completely silent when they touch the ball. :lol

Exactly! I see no reason to enpower him with all the extra attention.

Oh, Gee!!
01-03-2006, 10:25 AM
We Spurs fans are above homerism, and so are our announcers especially Sean Elliott.

angel_luv
01-03-2006, 10:45 AM
We Spurs fans are above homerism, and so are our announcers especially Sean Elliott.

The only people I expect to strive to be impartial are the national broadcasters.

The local announcers are bringing the game to the hometown fans. Anyone who listens in needs to realise that and tolerate the homerisms.

Oh, Gee!!
01-03-2006, 10:50 AM
The only people I expect to strive to be impartial are the national broadcasters.

The local announcers are bringing the game to the hometown fans. Anyone who listens in needs to realise that and tolerate the homerisms.

so says the chick that doesn't want Manu to be booed at away games.

ShoogarBear
01-03-2006, 11:00 AM
Hold on, Hold on, Hold on!I watched that telecast too and they also said that he is one of the most versatile players in the league and how hard it is to cover him and how he does very little wrong. Then they went out of their way to say despite the flopping , he is one great player. So they understand the type of player he is,and yeah they're admittedly homers.

I also saw the feed and completely agree with this statement. They said a lot of good things about Manu, but because it wasn't 100% positive, somehow that gets twisted into "they hate him".

angel_luv
01-03-2006, 11:04 AM
so says the chick that doesn't want Manu to be booed at away games.

I wasn't upset about it. I thought it was funny.

bigbendbruisebrother
01-03-2006, 11:19 AM
Don't think you can stream games online, but depending on where you are, WOAI comes in on your radio in many places...

Yeah, you can. You have to subscribe to NBA Audio League Pass at NBA.com. You get to choose whose feed you listen to.

austinfan
01-03-2006, 11:31 AM
FromWayDowntown, I don't really have a reason for disliking Manu's game. It's obviously highly effective, and I'm not one of the people who feels he "gets away with" doing things any more than any other NBA star. I just find it aesthetically unpleasant. Now, Tim Duncan? I could watch him all day. The precision and efficiency of the Spurs team is beautiful, and Manu just sticks out as... graceless. Irrational opinion. :)

See, I love how Manu's game is so unpredictable and off-balance. He'll go in for a lay-up, and you'll think to yourself, "There is no possible way he is going to score on that one," and then he does! And draws the foul besides. Even though it does look ragged and messy at times. He's great at faking moves, and changing up rhythms suddenly, and keeping his opponents guessing that way.

Some people say soccer has had a bad influence on Manu's game--with the "flopping" he does--but imo he's also taken the best parts of soccer, especially the creativity of South American players like Ronaldo or Roberto Carlos when they're driving and passing, and incorporated them into his game. (Watch the Brazilian team when they play later this year in Germany, and compare their moves to Manu's.) That's why he's such a breath of fresh air in the NBA, because he's bringing a whole new background of experience to the game.

leemajors
01-03-2006, 12:25 PM
it's not how, it's how many, as golfers say.

Licious
01-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Because I am a second shift working Spurs fan from Northeast PA, the option I chose was Sirius satellite radio to listen to the games at work. When the Spurs play at home, I always hear WOAI's broadcast. For the majority of the away games, I hear the opponents' broadcast. Sometimes they can be bias but it's expected. All I care about is when they announce the final score with disgust in their voice and the Spurs have defeated their home team. Just be thankful we live in an age where we have options so we never miss a game!

mikejones99
01-03-2006, 03:39 PM
Sean Elliot is great. Just because he did not want to go Detroit is not a reason to hate.

pache100
01-03-2006, 03:50 PM
i can see how you could think elliot is a jackass, but i don't really agree. he is very spurs homerish, but he is not overly biased and doesn't bash on other teams.

Sean Elliott is not a jackass. He's not even the biggest homer I have ever heard announcing a Spurs game. He's usually right on the money when he points out something a player from another team is doing wrong...and the same goes for the Spurs - if he thinks a Spur is not playing up to their potential, he will be the first to say so. Same goes for doing good things or making exceptional plays...he's very fair to the other team, often pointing out things the casual viewer may miss, but he will praise Spurs when they are having a great night as well. I don't see what more you could ask for an announcer. At least everyone watching should realize that Sean works for the Spurs. It's natural that he should lean their way, since they are paying him. And he is sooo much more fair and impartial than most of the announcers on the national stations who cannot see much good in anyone except the Lakers and Heat (and continually rag on the Spurs, no matter how they are playing). I get so sick of some of them I have to turn the sound off.

Spurminator
01-03-2006, 04:42 PM
Sean Elliott certainly has come full circle... I remember when he worked for ESPN and Spurs fans would call him a traitor if he ever picked another team to win or said anything that could be remotely interpreted as a Spurs criticism.

Oh, Gee!!
01-03-2006, 04:44 PM
Pache is a homer and a sean elliott apologist

pache100
01-03-2006, 04:47 PM
:lol
Pache is a homer and a sean elliott apologist

I am a Spurs homer. The stuff about Sean is just the facts. :lol

infinite styles
01-23-2006, 11:07 PM
Damn the Denver announcers must have Manu just superglued to their brain cause they relate every flop or whatever by an opposing player to him.

I'm watching the Nuggets vs. Raptors game on NBATV and Raptors pg Calderon steals the ball and runs up court but loses it as he goes up for the layup then throws his arms up to act like he was fouled. Needless to say there was no call. But they show the replay and these two geniuses start talking about how much he resembled Manu when he frequently flops to draw the call. Dammit enough is enough. Can we get some new material here or is this gonna continue forever.

Solid D
01-23-2006, 11:59 PM
Can we get some new material here or is this gonna continue forever.

They must have LM (Loser Mentality).

Obstructed_View
01-24-2006, 01:42 AM
What do we expect when we boo Kobe? :rolleyes
We boo the enemy because we respect their game, we try to throw them off. We're scared when they have the ball in their hands. But the boos rarely affect them. What would really throw them off is if we're completely silent when they touch the ball. :lol
Actually, I boo Kobe because he's a rapist.

mikejones99
01-24-2006, 01:50 AM
Kate Faber is a whore and Kobe never raped anyone, that is why the case was dropped. Those are the facts. any women that go to a hotel room after 9 pm know what they are gettin. Well, maybe he raped Toronto and Dallas.

T-Pain
01-24-2006, 05:51 AM

denver=manu haters

Obstructed_View
01-24-2006, 10:55 AM
Kate Faber is a whore and Kobe never raped anyone, that is why the case was dropped. Those are the facts. any women that go to a hotel room after 9 pm know what they are gettin. Well, maybe he raped Toronto and Dallas.
Keep, dreamin', douchebag. I suppose OJ didn't kill his wife, either. :rolleyes.

Boo, Kobe, boo.

SAGambler
01-24-2006, 12:16 PM

Manu and D. Wade are the only players in the league that have that "take it to the rim at all costs" attitude... It's a lost art in the NBA today...
It's probably also the reason both of them are banged up so much..