PDA

View Full Version : knicks suns in 3 ot

doldrums
01-02-2006, 10:37 PM
Great game, still going on

Spurologist
01-02-2006, 10:43 PM
Dammit suns. They had like 3 players foul out in OT1. They lost and there goes my vBookie.

DesiSpur_21
01-02-2006, 10:48 PM
Damn..

Solid D
01-02-2006, 10:52 PM
Spurs fans should be happy with this one. HCA over any Western foe is good.

BTW, David Lee was fantastic on the boards and taking it strong to the basket.

Dazzle
01-02-2006, 10:55 PM
Damn 22 assists for nash

Spurologist
01-02-2006, 11:19 PM
Spurs fans should be happy with this one. HCA over any Western foe is good.

BTW, David Lee was fantastic on the boards and taking it strong to the basket.

:tuJust added him to my fantasy team.

boutons_
01-02-2006, 11:25 PM
Marbury did his best Stevie Franchise imitation.

dribble dribble dribble shoot
dribble dribble dribble drive, can't finish
nobody else touches the ball on the possession

Knicks won in spite of Steph. What a loser.

Spurologist
01-02-2006, 11:35 PM
Marbury did his best Stevie Franchise imitation.

dribble dribble dribble shoot
dribble dribble dribble drive, can't finish
nobody else touches the ball on the possession

Knicks won in spite of Steph. What a loser.

S. Marbury
13-28, 32 Pts
5 Rebs, 10 Assists

doldrums
01-02-2006, 11:36 PM
Actually, watching the game, I tought Steph won it for them. They also voted him player of the game.

boutons_
01-02-2006, 11:38 PM
I'm talkin about crunch time and the 2 OTs.
He really wasn't helpful at all.

Dre_7
01-02-2006, 11:53 PM
I'm talkin about crunch time and the 2 OTs.
He really wasn't helpful at all.

Im confused. Is this boutons_ the same as the boutons?

Pistons < Spurs
01-02-2006, 11:59 PM
Im confused. Is this boutons_ the same as the boutons?

I was wondering the same thing.

leemajors
01-03-2006, 12:02 AM
did anyone watch this game? the officiating was terrible, the suns could not catch a break. i think the suns shot like 20 fts to the knicks 45 or something ridiculous.

leemajors
01-03-2006, 12:05 AM
then again the suns shot like 50 3 pointers, and like lb said after the game you can't be taking it to the basket if you are shootting 50 3's

angel_luv
01-03-2006, 12:11 AM
All that game and Malik only got 4:33 minutes? That can't be good.

Solid D
01-03-2006, 12:24 AM
Yes, I thought the Knicks got a little home cooking, but Eddie Curry and David Lee really crashed the offensive glass for 2nd chances.

Boutons, the Knicks tried to let Crawford run the point and win the game and he couldn't do it. Finally, in the final 3 min. of the 3rd OT, Larry Brown had Stephon do the playmaking and he proceded to take it strong for the finger roll, he nailed a big shot, he ran a nice high-screen roll with Lee and got a big layup, shoot he single-handedly outscored PHX in the 3rd OT. I saw it as someone needing to step up. He did.

Spurologist
01-03-2006, 12:27 AM
All that game and Malik only got 4:33 minutes? That can't be good.

http://www.whitlarson.com/uploaded_images/doghouse-773994.jpg

reader
01-03-2006, 12:45 AM
did anyone watch this game? the officiating was terrible, the suns could not catch a break. i think the suns shot like 20 fts to the knicks 45 or something ridiculous.

The numbers were even worse

Knicks shot 32/54 free throws

Suns shot 14/16 free throws

Vashner
01-03-2006, 12:50 AM
I told you Brown has a plan...

He Spanked the Suns just to flex the naysay'ers a bit.. but the draft plan is still on.

Spurologist
01-03-2006, 01:00 AM
I told you Brown has a plan...

He Spanked the Suns just to flex the naysay'ers a bit.. but the draft plan is still on.

So brown is trying to pull a Houston (texans)... interesting

doldrums
01-03-2006, 01:20 AM
they traded their 1st round pick to chicago for curry

leemajors
01-03-2006, 09:21 AM
is the pick lottery protected?

Vashner
01-03-2006, 09:32 AM
they traded their 1st round pick to chicago for curry
Ah I did not know that...

Bruno
01-03-2006, 09:59 AM
is the pick lottery protected?

No. There is no protection at all on the pick...

... and Knicks are 8-21 (3rd worst team in nba)
Good job isiah :lol

boutons_
01-03-2006, 10:09 AM
"Good job isiah"

... signs Jerome James to a big WTF?? contract, then Larry de-activates JJ after only a few weeks of the season rather than have the useless blob block the scenery.

Isaiah and JJ should both give up on NBA careers, or continue being jokes of the league.

boutons_
01-03-2006, 11:30 AM
New Lineup Pays Off, but It Takes Awhile
By HOWARD BECK

The Knicks redirected their agenda, tweaked their rotation, suspended a player, let another one leave, watched two veterans bow out with injuries and played three overtimes last night.

So it was a fairly hectic, emotionally draining few hours at Madison Square Garden, but it seemed worth the energy that everyone had expended when the Knicks left with a 140-133 victory over the Phoenix Suns.

Relief and elation did not come until about 10:40 p.m., after Stephon Marbury had scored the Knicks' final 7 points to provide the margin of victory and end a three-game losing streak.

The first triple-overtime game in the Knicks' history at the Garden took three hours. Winning it required an incredible 54 free-throw attempts by the Knicks (they made 32) and the gradual erosion of the Suns' sanity and rotation as four Phoenix players fouled out.

"It kind of felt like it was never going to end," center Eddy Curry said. "I'm just glad that we won the game."

Four Knicks scored at least 20 points, led by Marbury's 32. The rookie David Lee, announced as the new permanent starter at small forward, had 23 points and 15 rebounds. Curry provided 23 points - 13 in the three overtimes - and 15 rebounds. Jamal Crawford added 29 points, 7 rebounds and 7 assists.

The Knicks won for only the second time in 12 games, but after going 7-21 in the final two months of 2005, they are 1-0 in 2006. And an antsy Garden crowd, which had done little but boo for two months, turned appreciative.

"Our crowd was definitely into it for once," Curry said. "It's something I never experienced as a New York player. It was definitely a beautiful thing."

The evening began with the Knicks announcing the suspension of the reserve center Jerome James for unspecified "conduct detrimental to the team." They also announced that Penny Hardaway had gone to Texas to work out on his own. Coach Larry Brown then unveiled his latest reworking of the rotation.

The kids are now front and center, with Lee installed as a starter. It was a move that paid quick dividends. He was a constant force on the defensive boards, a reliable shooter from the wing and a crowd pleaser with big dunks to finish fast breaks.

Qyntel Woods, another of the Knicks' prospects, kept alive several possessions with offensive rebounds and, like Lee, was an energizer in the second half.

"The way how we played tonight - the continuity, the offense, the defense, was really good," said Marbury, who added 10 assists. "I liked that. I liked that a lot. I like how athletic we were, I like how we could push the ball. We get dunks. David Lee played phenomenal tonight. He was definitely the M.V.P. of the game."

Shawn Marion led the Suns with 39 points and 14 rebounds. Steve Nash had 28 points and 22 assists. All of the Suns left perplexed after shooting only 16 free throws and being whistled for 41 fouls, to the Knicks' 27.

Boris Diaw, Raja Bell and the former Knick Kurt Thomas fouled out in regulation. Pat Burke fouled out in the third overtime.

"When you foul out your whole team and you're fighting on fumes after a nine-day road trip, for us to hang around at that point was outstanding," Nash said.

As for the disparity in foul calls, Nash said, "I think everyone has finished enough math to interpret that."

Suns Coach Mike D'Antoni, who spent much of the game debating calls with the referees Tim Donaghy and Tom Washington, declined to criticize the officiating. But he and his assistants immediately cued up the game tape in the locker room afterward and were notably upset.

Regulation ended in a 104-104 tie when Nash missed a 22-footer at the buzzer. The first overtime ended in a 118-118 tie when the Suns' Eddie House and Crawford missed long jump shots. The second overtime ended in a 127-127 tie when Burke missed an 18-footer at the buzzer.

Before the game, with the Knicks tied for last place in the league, Brown said he would shorten his rotation and give heavy roles to the Knicks' rookies.

The recommitment to youth somehow left out the Knicks' youngest prospect. Trevor Ariza, who the team has touted as a core member of its rebuilding campaign, is out of the rotation, Brown said. A starter as recently as Dec. 23, Ariza is now behind Lee and Qyntel Woods.

"Qyntel's beaten him out; so has David," Brown said.

The news caught the 20-year-old Ariza by surprise - especially because it was delivered by a member of the team's public-relations staff a few minutes after Brown informed reporters.

"It's a little bit of a shock," Ariza said. "I didn't expect nobody to ever tell me that another person has beaten me, just flat-out outplaying me. I've never had that happen before.

"I think everybody's just still confused. Nobody really knows how to look at things or what he sees or what he wants. Everybody just tries to do their best."

REBOUNDS

Antonio Davis injured his back late in the third quarter when he landed awkwardly with a rebound. He did not return. Davis said he had a strained lower back. ...

Maurice Taylor needed five stitches to close a cut above his right eye late in the fourth quarter. He did not return. ...

The Knicks had four players score 20 points or more for the first time since March 27, 2001. ...

With the team's permission, Penny Hardaway is working out in Houston in an attempt to improve his physical condition. Although he is healthy, Hardaway has complained of weakness in his legs, particularly his left thigh, and has rarely played. Hardaway stopped practicing with the team three weeks ago. Coach Larry Brown said Hardaway would be working out twice a day, once with the former N.B.A. guard John Lucas and once with a strength coach. ...

Quentin Richardson missed his second straight game because of back spasms. Traded by Phoenix in June, Richardson did not play in either game against his former team.

leemajors
01-03-2006, 12:10 PM
maybe isiah could be tempted to trade ariza to the spurs for fodder...

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-03-2006, 12:11 PM
maybe isiah could be tempted to trade ariza to the spurs for fodder...

All the Spurs would need to do is assure him that Beno could play PF.

boutons_
01-03-2006, 12:19 PM
"ariza"

CIA Larry? :)

Having those 3 fight for starting/PT "should" be good for the team.
Ariza sounds like he's gonna have to learn how to fight.

Lee certainly had a fantastic night. I had never even heard of nor seen the guy before. We'll see if he can keep it up.

NY still 6Ls behind EC 8th seed. NY "may" get into double-digits in the W column in January. :)

Solid D
01-03-2006, 12:35 PM
David Lee was taken with the 30th pick in the 1st round that they received from the Spurs (Leandro Barbosa conditional pick from Suns). That was one of the 2 first rounders the Spurs traded with Malik to get Nazr.