View Full Version : Astros close to signing Preston Wilson

atlfan25
01-03-2006, 09:20 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3561232.html

Astros near deal for slugger
Center fielder Wilson looks like club's top target

By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Astros general manager Tim Purpura's hopes for landing a run-producing outfielder may come to fruition today. And if those plans work out, it's most likely free agent center fielder Preston Wilson will land with the National League champions.

"I would think within the next 24 hours, we'll know where we stand with everybody," Purpura said Monday at 6 p.m.

The Astros now appear to be Wilson's first choice.

Purpura had been in negotiations with the representatives for Wilson and Conroe High graduate Jeromy Burnitz. But the Astros are starting to believe their chances of signing Wilson are much better than their chances with Burnitz.

Wilson, 31, hit .260 with 25 home runs, 90 RBIs and 148 strikeouts for the Colorado Rockies and Washington Nationals in 2005. All-Star third baseman Morgan Ensberg, who had 36 homers and 101 RBIs, was the only Astro with more RBIs last year than Wilson.

He has played center field most of his career. It remains to be seen what would happen with Willy Taveras, the center fielder who was second in Rookie of the Year balloting in 2005.

Wilson, who earned $12.5 million in 2005, would likely get a contract worth less per year than the one-year, $6 million offer Nomar Garciaparra spurned from the Astros.

But Wilson's stay in Houston could be longer than a year. Both sides are still mulling over contract options for a potential second year.

"Things are more positive than not," Purpura said.

Spurminator
01-03-2006, 09:32 PM
I smell a deal involving Willy.

Fine by me... His value will never be higher.

Silver21_Black20
01-03-2006, 10:35 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3561232.html

Astros near deal for slugger
Center fielder Wilson looks like club's top target

By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Astros general manager Tim Purpura's hopes for landing a run-producing outfielder may come to fruition today. And if those plans work out, it's most likely free agent center fielder Preston Wilson will land with the National League champions.

"I would think within the next 24 hours, we'll know where we stand with everybody," Purpura said Monday at 6 p.m.

The Astros now appear to be Wilson's first choice.

Purpura had been in negotiations with the representatives for Wilson and Conroe High graduate Jeromy Burnitz. But the Astros are starting to believe their chances of signing Wilson are much better than their chances with Burnitz.

Wilson, 31, hit .260 with 25 home runs, 90 RBIs and 148 strikeouts for the Colorado Rockies and Washington Nationals in 2005. All-Star third baseman Morgan Ensberg, who had 36 homers and 101 RBIs, was the only Astro with more RBIs last year than Wilson.

He has played center field most of his career. It remains to be seen what would happen with Willy Taveras, the center fielder who was second in Rookie of the Year balloting in 2005.

Wilson, who earned $12.5 million in 2005, would likely get a contract worth less per year than the one-year, $6 million offer Nomar Garciaparra spurned from the Astros.
But Wilson's stay in Houston could be longer than a year. Both sides are still mulling over contract options for a potential second year.

"Things are more positive than not," Purpura said.

Garciaparra's in Houston...Awesome :tu

atlfan25
01-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Naw, but that line confused me a lot . I was pretty sure he wasn't with Houston so I had to go re-check to make sure. He signed with the dodgers. They are just talking about an offer they made him to come to Houston.

Silver21_Black20
01-03-2006, 10:46 PM
Naw, but that line confused me a lot . I was pretty sure he wasn't with Houston so I had to go re-check to make sure. He signed with the dodgers. They are just talking about an offer they made him to come to Houston.

Damn, that would have been pretty cool...I might have made a roadtrip to
H-town for that. I know he was on th DL a lot last season, how does he look for this season?

atlfan25
01-03-2006, 11:02 PM
Well due to his injuries he's gonna play1st for the Dodgers now, possibly some left field depending on things. Hopefully for him that will help him stay healthy enough to put up solid numbers at the plate.

You should make a roadtrip to h-town anyway to see the Braves when they come to town. I plan on making a point to do that myself. I want to see a lot of those guys play in person.

Silver21_Black20
01-03-2006, 11:20 PM
Well due to his injuries he's gonna play1st for the Dodgers now, possibly some left field depending on things. Hopefully for him that will help him stay healthy enough to put up solid numbers at the plate.

You should make a roadtrip to h-town anyway to see the Braves when they come to town. I plan on making a point to do that myself. I want to see a lot of those guys play in person.

I want to but I don't know anybody else who likes baseball... :depressed

Is the 2006 season schedule out?

atlfan25
01-03-2006, 11:32 PM

Damn, that sucks. Maybe you should meet some new people.

Is the 2006 season schedule out?http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=atl&m=4&y=2006

Astros close to signing Preston WilsonIt's now a done deal. one-year, $4 million contract with a three-year club option.

That is a very good deal for Wilson if his knee is ok and it should be if he plays left.

Silver21_Black20
01-03-2006, 11:40 PM
^ Thanks! The Braves play in Houston June 8-11. Guess I'll have to meet some new baseball fans before then...or club and gag a friend and drag them to a game :lol

Horry For 3!
01-04-2006, 12:14 AM
He already signed with the Dodgers.

Horry For 3!
01-04-2006, 12:15 AM
Preston Wilson is a pretty good hitter but he gets hurt a lot.

Silver21_Black20
01-04-2006, 12:28 AM
He already signed with the Dodgers.

Yea...in the article that atlfan25 posted, it sounded like he had signed with Houston but it was just an offer.

T Park
01-04-2006, 01:39 AM
I smell a deal involving Willy.

Fine by me... His value will never be higher.

Jason Marquis for Taveras.

RIGHT NOW.

j-6
01-04-2006, 01:54 AM
Wilson is the stepson and nephew of Mookie Wilson, who played for the New York Mets and attended Tuesday's announcement at Minute Maid Park. Preston Wilson recalled coming to the Astrodome as a teenager to watch Mookie play.

So Mookie Wilson married his brother's ex-wife?

Spurminator
01-04-2006, 11:13 AM
Jason Marquis for Taveras.

RIGHT NOW.

I was thinking more along the lines of a package deal for, say, Miguel Tejada....

KEDA
01-04-2006, 12:19 PM

Is the 2006 season schedule out?

<<<< right here

Ill go to a game, let me know!

spurjur
01-04-2006, 01:08 PM
The Astros should try to make a deal for Miguel Tejada.

GrandeDavid
01-18-2006, 07:56 AM
Great signing. Add another starting pitcher, or hope that Roger indeed returns eventually with some more juice and the Astros are better than last season.