PDA

View Full Version : Spree to the Clips?

Pistons < Spurs
01-03-2006, 02:18 PM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/58943.htm (need to register)

January 3, 2006 -- TELL me you're not stunned this is only the first time Isiah Thomas felt Jerome James deserved to be suspended for conduct detrimental to the team! We already know the Knick president must not have seen the 7-footer play in Seattle, or talked to anybody mildly associated with the Sonics about his attitude and aptitude for putting on weight.

But evidently Thomas also must not have been paying much attention when his $30 million summer fling (minus a weight clause, mind you) showed up at camp shapeless and indifferent. Larry Brown's reputation as a gifted Phys Ed. teacher is secure. Barely a third of the way into his first season as Knick coach and I do believe he almost has Stephon Marbury playing the way he did under Lenny Wilkens.

Then again, Doug Flutie Sunday successfully converted the NFL's first drop kick since 1941. "How come Larry never told me good things can happen when you put the ball on the floor?" Starbury said.

If Brown truly is devoted to the core of New York's youth corps (minus disgruntled Trevor Ariza, who may never regain his coach's trust after turning down a start in L.A.), I assume the Knicks have stopped scouting Jalen Rose and Larry can cease pressing Isiah for Theo Ratliff.

Three months later, after catching James trying to Ring Ding in the new year, Thomas at long last is prepared to teach him a lesson he'll not soon forget: Sources say he's been suspended with pay but without per diem.

There were no terms offered regarding the length and salary of Pat Riley's newly minted contract extension, or how he plans to weasel out of Miami once Phil Jackson leaves the Lakers.

The Heat, big winners over Minnesota on New Year's Day, don't see South Beach again for 19 days. Included in the seven-game sojourn is Shaq's visit to the Lakers on Jan. 16. O'Neal, for what it's worth, didn't visit the foul line against the T'Wolves. He considered just hanging around the charity stripe and looking pretty but didn't want to offend Kobe.

I'm told an outraged David Stern lodged a complaint with the Pacers concerning management's ruling to place Ron Artest on the inactive list indefinitely. Sources say Phil Jackson has coveted Artest since he took the job. Kobe, too, is heavily endorsing his procurement as well. Yet management continues to resist sacrificing Lamar Odom, their only means of obtaining Tru Warier.

Having written that, when Indiana finally cuts its umbilical cord to Artest, there is a chance it may make a luxury-tax type decision that would give the Lakers and other suitors some maneuvering room; you know, settle for draft picks, expiring contracts, perhaps even the Suns' $3.6M trade exception (they're looking to be chosen into any deal if it'll get them another shooter) vs. demanding relatively equal talent owning an extended warranty. Part of that design would be trying to recruit Latrell Sprewell for the remainder of the season.

In the meantime, an L.A. source reveals my Paper Clips, rather than give in to the temptation to turn over chronically injured Corey Maggette (averaged 59 games in seven seasons) to the Hawks in a three-pronged package that would've netted them Artest (with Al Harrington returning to Indy) asked Sam Cassell to reach out to his former T'wolves' teammate.

I'm unsure if contact was made. Sprewell apparently now represents himself and isn't the easiest guy to track down; he's believed to be back in Milwaukee.

How screwy is the Screw Jersey Nets' schedule? In the midst of a week off for good behavior, they don't play their first '06 game 'til Friday night at home versus phony Orlando. In other words, the Nets are going to be away from Jersey longer than honest government.

Prior to last night's home game with the Bucks the Bulls had lost six straight. Not coincidentally, Tim Thomas is now third in the All-Star voting