PDA

View Full Version : Will Perdue thinks Bob Hill is better than Pop or Phil

Kori Ellis
01-03-2006, 08:46 PM
:lmao

By Will Perdue
ESPN.com Insider

I played for Bob Hill in San Antonio for a year and a half during the 1995-96 and 1996-97 seasons.

The Bulls traded me to the Spurs for Dennis Rodman just before training camp opened. I remember Hill sat me down and told me that I would have every opportunity to prove myself on the floor in practice and in games. He was true to his word, and I think I became a better player there.

I'm sure he'll do the same in Seattle. He will give players a chance to prove that they belong in the Sonics' rotation. He'll give everyone on that team a chance to prove themselves and earn their playing time. He'll make sure that he and his star, Ray Allen, are on the same page and that the offense runs through Ray.

Hill will establish a new sense of organization in Seattle. He is the most organized coach that I ever played for. His game planning and practices are like clockwork.

This will be a change for the players, and they will, in turn, have to be more disciplined in their performance.

Players always become more optimistic when there is a coaching change. But in Seattle, players have to realize that things aren't going as planned. The owners are not happy with the way things are going. The players have to get this message: It's time to shape up. The party is over.

I also played for Gregg Popovich and Phil Jackson, and I believe that Bob Hill is the most knowledgeable coach I've ever played for. His knowledge of the game is unbelievable.

But that knowledge can also get him into trouble sometimes. He would draw up a perfect play ... but it just wouldn't work because we hadn't practiced it or it was too confusing for the players to understand. He might have trouble translating his vision to his players.

Hill has his work cut out for him, but he now has a chance for him to re-establish himself as quality NBA coach.

Leetonidas
01-03-2006, 08:52 PM
:lol I don't think so, dumbass. :lol

Spurminator
01-03-2006, 08:52 PM
Ehhh, I don't think he meant "better"... Just that maybe he has more NBA "book smarts". He does admit that got him into trouble at times.

I'd have to question even that, though, seeing as this is the guy who single-teamed Hakeem Olajuwan en route to one of the most dominating Playoff performances in history...

timvp
01-03-2006, 08:54 PM
If knowledgable is not doubling Hakeem, I want to see what dumb is.

To be fair to Perdue, his time under Pop was when the Spurs were really being coached by Avery Johnson and Pop was just his puppet.

Pop didn't become a real coach until around 2001.

Spurminator
01-03-2006, 08:58 PM
Well, if his playcalling is really that complex, maybe this is the season we'll finally get to see Danny Fortson's head explode.

timvp
01-03-2006, 09:00 PM
The only thing Bob Hill is good at is diagramming offensive plays late in games. Other than that, he grades below average across the board.

The Sonics plummeting in the standings goes to show how great of a job Nate did there last year.

Tek_XX
01-03-2006, 09:02 PM
He's so obviously the best considering he didn't get a head coaching job for another 10 years.

Solid D
01-03-2006, 09:08 PM
Pop benched Perdue in the Finals and he never got a snif of PT.

Solid D
01-03-2006, 09:11 PM
John Lucas had trouble communicating his knowledge to the team, too. Sometimes, John would just stand on the sidelines and point with no words coming out, and expect the players to figure out what he was trying to say.

exstatic
01-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Pop also had a pissing contest with Will's agent that led to his exit, but I'm sure that had NOTHING to do with his take. ;)

spurschick
01-03-2006, 09:22 PM
If he can get Ridnour healthy and pull some kind of game out of Radman, I will be freakin' thrilled.

T Park
01-03-2006, 10:31 PM
He'll make sure that he and his star, Ray Allen, are on the same page and that the offense runs through Ray.

Hence the reason hes now the coach and not Weiss anymore.

But who didn't see this coming.

Bob Weiss stunk back in the 90s with those great Atlanta Hawks teams.

Good lord, the tire is totally bald.

No tread.

Goodbye forever Bob Weiss.

ChumpDumper
01-03-2006, 10:33 PM
I want to see Smush Parker's article.

sanman53
01-03-2006, 10:34 PM
Will Perdue + ESPN (insider) = LOL!!!!!

Duff McCartney
01-03-2006, 10:39 PM
To be fair to Perdue, his time under Pop was when the Spurs were really being coached by Avery Johnson and Pop was just his puppet.

Pop didn't become a real coach until around 2001.

Damn if that isn't the biggest pile of shit I've ever heard.

Solid D
01-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Bob Weiss was a better NBA basketball player than he is a coach. At least he can look back at that for his legacy in the NBA. Bob Hill won't be able to do that.

Brutalis
01-03-2006, 11:18 PM
Bob Hill might be a better coach than Phil, but not Pop. That's just a load of shit from a clumsy center.

AJ wasn't that great of a player. He didn't turn the ball over and he knew where to pass it. Just what a one dimensional player does at the PG position. He just happend to nail thta shot on the Knicks. And I wouldn't say to win it, that series was over regardless of that game. But that's me talking shit.

AJ didn't control crap. AJ wanted that ring. He wanted to be a champ and wanted to be the starting poing guard. He did his job and was easily successed later by Tony Parker. I think Pop really just let AJ give to Tim or DRob like he wanted to. And he did a good job of it too.

dbreiden83080
01-03-2006, 11:31 PM
Yeah he didn't say he was better just that he knew more about the game. Same thing as an athlete, Mike Vick may be the most talented QB in the NFL but he is a long ass way from being the best. All that knowledge means nothing if Hill can not impart it to his players in a way that motivates them and he did make the point that Hill has stuggled with that in the past.

50 cent
01-03-2006, 11:47 PM
Who coached high school ball in the last 2 years? Pop, Phil, or Bob?

Enough said.

exstatic
01-03-2006, 11:59 PM
Hence the reason hes now the coach and not Weiss anymore.

But who didn't see this coming.

Bob Weiss stunk back in the 90s with those great Atlanta Hawks teams.

Good lord, the tire is totally bald.

No tread.

Goodbye forever Bob Weiss.

Like Hill's got tread left. He's too arrogant to change. He'll feel that he's back in the saddle where he belongs, take credit for the wins, and blame the players for the losses.

baseline bum
01-04-2006, 12:09 AM
I can't hate on Perdue since he was such a vital part of the Spurs 99 title, but man does he come off sounding bitter there. There's obviously no love between he and Phil, since Jordan forced him out (I remember MJ used to call him Will Vanderbilt since he said he wasn't skilled enough to be named after a good basketball program :lol ).... then, he was insulted that Pop offered to pay him more than twice as much as what he ended up getting from the Bulls. :lmao

I remember one quote was something like Pop had too much of an ego or something after winning the championship. :lmao Then of course he started talking all this crap about how Duncan would be crazy not to go to Chicago. :lmao

ShoogarBear
01-04-2006, 12:14 AM
Perdue was a loon, but could give you 5-10 minutes of Shaq-time and was valuable enough that Pop tried getting him back (he ended up in Portland instead).

Solid D
01-04-2006, 12:24 AM
Remember when Pop went a couple of weeks running the Triple Towers with Robinson, Perdue, and Timmy (with Tim at the 3)? They flew up to Indy when Bird was coaching the Pacers and they employed this. The Spurs beat them like a rented mule and held the Pacers to 60 points, or somesuch. :lol

baseline bum
01-04-2006, 12:24 AM
I'll never forget his play in that second round. Perdue was the perfect backup man for that team, and I was so disappointed that we replaced him with Samaki Wanker. I guess I can't blame Pop for Will DA-ing himself though.

baseline bum
01-04-2006, 12:25 AM
Remember when Pop went a couple of weeks running the Triple Towers with Robinson, Perdue, and Timmy (with Tim at the 3)? They flew up to Indy when Bird was coaching them and they employed this and beat the Pacers like a rented mule and held the Pacers to 60 points, or somesuch. :lol

Wasn't it 55? I remember it was an NBA record in the shotclock era that stood until that choking bitch Karl Malone and the rest of the Jizz put up 54 in game 5 of the finals that year.

T Park
01-04-2006, 12:33 AM
Like Hill's got tread left

hes a gator tail on the freeway as well.

Hey Seattle, how bout Musselman, ya know, that guy that darn near turned around a worse Warriors team?

Notorious H.O.P.
01-04-2006, 01:28 AM
As we all know, knowledge does not translate into ability or skill. It's debatable but maybe Perdue is stating what HE actually believes.

All that knowledge didn't translate well come playoff time. But he's probably got some regular season success coming to him.

Obstructed_View
01-04-2006, 01:29 AM
LOL. Will Perdon't.

Bloodline666
01-04-2006, 01:39 AM
What the hell is Will Perdue smoking?

For one, Bob Hill is NOT a defensive-minded coach. We saw that in the 1995 WC Finals! I don't even need to bring that up!

And if you really think Bob Hill's offense rivals the Triangle Offense, then I guess something's wrong here, because we know that has yet to be proven on the hardwood.

And I doubt that this article is an unbiased one. He must still have issues with his days as a Bull and with his days playing under Coach Popovich to be writing an article like this. Either that, or, as I stated earlier, WHAT THE HELL IS WILL PERDUE SMOKING?!

Solid D
01-04-2006, 02:15 AM
I'm not taking Will's side here, but he said that Bob Hill is the most knowledgeable coach he's played for. That doesn't have anything to do with the effectiveness of the Triangle/Triple Post offense (which wasn't really Phil's creation, either).

Never-the-less, Will has an unusual perspective to say the least.

SequSpur
01-04-2006, 02:20 AM
:lmao @ Will Perdue

pache100
01-04-2006, 08:55 AM
Will Perdue thinks Bob Hill is better than Pop or Phil

Well, then, Will Perdue is an idiot; I never thought he was, and I always kind of felt sorry for him because of the conditions under which he left here. But, if he thinks Bob Hill is a better coach than Pop, he is an idiot, plain and simple. For the first time, I understand why Pop let him go (and I don't hold it against you any more, Pop). Sounds like sour grapes on Will's part to me.

I'm certainly not a Phil Jackson fan, and I always kind of liked Bob Hill, but I don't even agree with him about Bob being better than Phil. (Yikes, I can't believe I'm saying this!)

Get a life, Will!

Well, if his playcalling is really that complex, maybe this is the season we'll finally get to see Danny Fortson's head explode.

Maybe they should just go ahead and send Artest to Seattle and Bob can explode two heads with one...er...stone and get it over with.

SequSpur
01-04-2006, 09:24 AM
Will Perdue is a hall of famer compared to Rasho and Nazr.

5ToolMan
01-04-2006, 10:22 AM
Will Perdue thinks Bob Hill is better than Pop or Phil

Well, then, Will Perdue is an idiot;

In due nonrespect sir, you and several others demonstrated in this thread ae the idiots.

Perdue said hill was a more knowledgeable coach than Pop or Zen at the times he played for each of them.

That my friend, does not translate to better coach in any language.

Larry Brown, who had both Pop and Hill work for him at Kansas says Bob Hill is the best offensive coach he has ever worked with. Jeff VG gives Hill credit for laying much of the foundation that led to the Spurs first title.

Those are two pretty good props from two highly trusted NBA names.

Kori Ellis
01-04-2006, 10:29 AM
A lot of people in this thread are saying that Purdue has "sour grapes" toward the organization. I don't know for sure, but I don't think that's true at all. After all, I see him at games often in the locker room, laughing, joking and talking with Pop and the staff.

Secondly, I know it doesn't say "better" in the article and says "most knowledgable coach" but that would have been too long of a thread title. That being said, I think to say he's the most knowledgable is still quite laughable.

pache100
01-04-2006, 10:36 AM
In due nonrespect sir, you and several others demonstrated in this thread ae the idiots.

Perdue said hill was a more knowledgeable coach than Pop or Zen at the times he played for each of them.

Larry Brown, who had both Pop and Hill work for him at Kansas says Bob Hill is the best offensive coach he has ever worked with. Jeff VG gives Hill credit for laying much of the foundation that led to the Spurs first title.

I quoted the thread title, I didn't make it up. I stand by my opinions as stated. At least I didn't call anyone an idiot for disagreeing with me.

Oh, Gee!!
01-04-2006, 10:46 AM
can't really blame Will. He has to write something for that fake sports channel regarding the Sonics' coaching move.

Que Gee
01-04-2006, 10:47 AM

Thank you for ACTUALLY READING the article.
Everyone needs to stop being such a "whiner" when Pop isn't called the "best" coach...or Parker isn't named the "best" poing guard in the NBA.... It says he was the most "knowledable coach" he had played for. It doesn't say in any way, shape or form, that he is the BEST coach he ever played for. There's a difference.

I do "disagree" with Kori in the sense that its "laughable." Why is it laughable? No one in here has every played for any of these coaches. There are street smarts and book smarts. I think Will is saying that Bob Hill has big time book smarts...But that doesn't mean he'd survive on the streets of the NBA...(he hasn't) He wasn't bad with the Spurs. There are alot of people throughout the NBA that given the situation in which Hill was removed, (with DRob being injured and just as Tim D was being drafted) and Pop descending to the thrown, thought it was a bit of a cheap shot and very unfair to Hill.

FromWayDowntown
01-04-2006, 11:15 AM
I do "disagree" with Kori in the sense that its "laughable." Why is it laughable? No one in here has every played for any of these coaches. There are street smarts and book smarts. I think Will is saying that Bob Hill has big time book smarts...But that doesn't mean he'd survive on the streets of the NBA...(he hasn't) He wasn't bad with the Spurs. There are alot of people throughout the NBA that given the situation in which Hill was removed, (with DRob being injured and just as Tim D was being drafted) and Pop descending to the thrown, thought it was a bit of a cheap shot and very unfair to Hill.

I'd agree with that.

From what I recall, the larger point that ended Bob Hill's tenure in San Antonio was his inability to deal effectively with the players; it had nothing to do with whether he understood the game or not. I think it's fair to say that Hill has a rather large repertoire of theories and ideas, particularly on the offensive end, that can be attributed to his basketball acumen. But having that knowledge doesn't make one a good coach -- effective coaching involves communication, motivation, and mostly an ability to use knowledge effectively when it matters. In those three categories, it would certainly appear that Pop and Phil have substantial advantages over Bob Hill (it also helps Pop and Phil that they have coached the 3 most dominant players in the league since 1990 -- which may explain why they've combined to win 12 of the last 15 titles).

Certainly, if Will had offered an opinion that some player was the most knowledgable player he'd ever seen, nobody here would take that to mean that Will thought that guy was better than the best players. Why is it any different with coaches?

Of all of us, Will Perdue is uniquely situated to make that assessment, since he spent full seasons with each of those coaches and has had the first-hand opportunity to see what each man knows. It may be that Will has some bias in his opinion, but I frankly don't see anything that is terribly shocking or horrendously unjustified in what he said.

TDMVPDPOY
01-04-2006, 11:24 AM
will>rasho+nazr

leemajors
01-04-2006, 11:45 AM
will>rasho+nazr

you = idiot.

pache100
01-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Of all of us, Will Perdue is uniquely situated to make that assessment, since he spent full seasons with each of those coaches and has had the first-hand opportunity to see what each man knows.

Maybe. It also makes him uniquely situated to be biased (which you point out in your next statement). It also makes him uniquely situated to be a bitter old man and allow his bitterness to color his journalistic objectivity.

It may be that Will has some bias in his opinion, but I frankly don't see anything that is terribly shocking or horrendously unjustified in what he said.

Me, neither. It just makes him sound like a bitter old man. I'm not sure that's what he was going for.

FromWayDowntown
01-04-2006, 12:15 PM
Me, neither. It just makes him sound like a bitter old man. I'm not sure that's what he was going for.

Why is it a statement tinged with bitterness? If Will said something like "Bob Hill can coach circles around Popovich and Phil Jackson," I'd think you'd have a point. But Will didn't say that. He said that Bob Hill is more knowledgeable than either of those two. Again, that statement says nothing about Bob Hill being a better coach than either Pop or Phil -- it just says that Bob Hill has a vast amount of basketball knowledge, and that his knowledge strikes Perdue as being greater than the knowledge possessed by either Pop of Phil. Why is that not true?

Actually, I think the argument against your point comes from the paragraph that follows the statement that has gotten everyone riled up. Perdue turns right around and admits that Hill has serious failings, too:

But that knowledge can also get him into trouble sometimes. He would draw up a perfect play ... but it just wouldn't work because we hadn't practiced it or it was too confusing for the players to understand. He might have trouble translating his vision to his players.

If he was on some bitter rampage to discount the accomplishments of Pop or Phil, he could have gone off on some tangent about Hill having never had the benefit of coaching Tim Duncan, Michael Jordan, or Shaquille O'Neal. He didn't. He turned around and said that Hill has serious deficiencies -- mostly that he can't communicate his knowledge to players, which is a major problem.

pache100
01-04-2006, 01:05 PM
Look, I'm just stating my opinions on the matter just like you are. I believe I'm right just as vehemently as you do. It's all just opinion. Just because you think it does not make it fact.

Bloodline666
01-04-2006, 01:23 PM
You know, now that this "Hill is better than Pop" thing is being brought up, I'll admit, even I thought Hill was better than Pop when Hill got canned, because even with Pop at the helm after he fired Hill, the Spurs finished 20 - 62. Of course, I was only about 13 at the time, and all I knew about the Spurs then was that a) they sucked, and b) David Robinson was out for the season due to an injury. Wanna know what it took to prove me wrong? The very next two seasons.

pache100
01-04-2006, 01:26 PM
I thought Hill was better than Pop when Hill got canned,

So did I. But, at that time, not many people had seen Pop in action as a coach, he didn't have a reputation as being a bad coach, he just didn't have any coaching reputation to speak of.

Wanna know what it took to prove me wrong? The very next two seasons.

Bingo!

alamo50
01-04-2006, 01:38 PM
MJ didn't call him "Will Vanderbilt" for nothing.

:lol

5ToolMan
01-04-2006, 02:32 PM
A lot of people in this thread are saying that Purdue has "sour grapes" toward the organization. I don't know for sure, but I don't think that's true at all. After all, I see him at games often in the locker room, laughing, joking and talking with Pop and the staff.

Secondly, I know it doesn't say "better" in the article and says "most knowledgable coach" but that would have been too long of a thread title. That being said, I think to say he's the most knowledgable is still quite laughable.

Why would it be laughable? Larry Brown says Hill is the most organized person and best offensive coach he has ever worked with. Shaq, who was coached by Hill as an assistant in 1993 - 1994 as a Magic assistant, says Hill was essential in the development of his offensive post game. Jeff VG credits Hill with laying much of the Spurs foundation that became the 1999 Championship.

And others on this board will think it is laughable because you say so. Go figure?

Kori Ellis
01-04-2006, 02:36 PM
And others on this board will think it is laughable because you say so. Go figure?

I hope not. I think everyone forms their own opinion here.

In MY opinion, if he was more knowledgable of a coach than Phil or Pop, he would have been back in the league sooner. Knowledgable doesn't just mean X's and O's or book smarts, it means relating to players as well .. and doing everything else that you need to know in order to be a good coach. I think it's laughable to think that he's more "knowledgable" than Pop/Phil. They've coached championship teams while he couldn't hold down a job at Fordham. It's my opinion. I'm entitled to it like every other poster. So cut your attitude. "Go figure?"

5ToolMan
01-04-2006, 02:43 PM
I quoted the thread title, I didn't make it up. I stand by my opinions as stated. At least I didn't call anyone an idiot for disagreeing with me.

I see you were going off the title. Might I suggest if you are going to come to a conclusion about what someone said, you actually read what was said.

Will simply made a comment that complemented Hills knowledge of the game of hoops. It did not compare Hill's ability to coach with Pop's or Zen's, and even had a slight dig of how Hill sometimes had trouble communicating his ideals to the team. And he did nothing to indicate he has sour grapes toward Zen, Pop and/or the Spurs.

On the other front, sorry about the insult. Sometimes I get defensive for those I respect when people start twisting a story and spewing incorrect garbage that is picked up and repeated by the unsuspecting.

FromWayDowntown
01-04-2006, 02:46 PM

In MY opinion, if he was more knowledgable of a coach than Phil or Pop, he would have been back in the league sooner. Knowledgable doesn't just mean X's and O's or book smarts, it means relating to players as well .. and doing everything else that you need to know in order to be a good coach.

But I think that's sort of the opposite of the point that Perdue is making -- he's explicitly saying that Hill has great x's and o's basketball knowledge, but that he can't always relate that knowledge to his players.

Hill may be the cat's meow when it comes to x's and o's, but that doesn't make him a great or even good coach; it makes him occasionally effective when he has good players. I don't think that Will Perdue's statement was ever intended to suggest that Hill is a superior coach to either Pop or Phil; he just said he's a better x's and o's guy than either Pop or Phil were when Will Perdue played for those guys. Again, I don't see that as a terribly controversial or earthshattering observation -- Pop and Phil have been roundly criticized at numerous points by posters here for NOT being good x's and o's guys.

Some of that has changed, particularly with Pop. But given the frame of Will's reference, even timvp's earlier posts suggest that Pop wasn't any sort of "real" coach until 2001, which was long after Perdue left San Antonio. That pre-2001 time frame is the only context in which Will could make a first person assessment of Pop's knowledge and it doesn't seem all that off to suggest that as of 1999, Bob Hill was a more knowledgable coach than Pop.

pache100
01-04-2006, 02:48 PM
Might I suggest if you are going to come to a conclusion about what someone said, you actually read what was said.

For the record, I did read the article.

And he did nothing to indicate he has sour grapes toward Zen, Pop and/or the Spurs.

That is your opinion. To me, that is exactly what it looks like. Why even make those remarks unless you have some hard feelings? Why would it even occur to you (Will)?

On the other front, sorry about the insult. Sometimes I get defensive for those I respect when people start twisting a story and spewing incorrect garbage that is picked up and repeated by the unsuspecting.

No problem. It might behoove you to take into consideration that the opinions of others, just because they do not agree with you, are not necessarily "incorrect garbage".

Kori Ellis
01-04-2006, 03:02 PM
That pre-2001 time frame is the only context in which Will could make a first person assessment of Pop's knowledge and it doesn't seem all that off to suggest that as of 1999, Bob Hill was a more knowledgable coach than Pop.

It's still my opinion that a 1999 Pop or a 2001 Pop or a 1989-95 Phil Jackson are more knowledgable than Bob Hill.

Que Gee
01-04-2006, 03:06 PM
For the record, I did read the article.

That is your opinion. To me, that is exactly what it looks like. Why even make those remarks unless you have some hard feelings? Why would it even occur to you (Will)?

He made those remarks due to the firing of Weiss and Hill taking over. I'm sure he was asked about Bob Hill since HE DID PLAY FOR HIM! So again, its not a question of any one being RIGHT or WRONG...Will Perdue is stating that HE FEELS Bob Hill is a GREAT X and O's kind of guy. I thought he made it fairly obvious by stating he's a great X and O's guy but yet also metioning he often has trouble relating to players on a day to day level with communication. Einstein may have been a genious but that doesn't necessarily mean he would have been a great teacher. Just like they say great players don't always make great coaches. I don't think anyone would ever question Michael Jordan's basketball IQ, or Magic Johnson's, but does that mean they would be good coaches?

FromWayDowntown
01-04-2006, 03:09 PM
It's still my opinion that a 1999 Pop or a 2001 Pop or a 1989-95 Phil Jackson are more knowledgable than Bob Hill.

Fair enough. My point in this thread isn't so much about the substance of Will's comments. Mostly I think it's invalid to say that Perdue suggested that Hill is "better than" either Pop or Phil. I understand why the thread is couched in those terms, but it's not at all what Perdue said.

In that light, I don't see Perdue's statements as terribly controversial or evidence of some sort of bitterness, so maybe that's why I'm as fired up as I am to defend what he said.

I still think Bob Hill's sole strength is his knowledge of x's and o's. That, in my opinion, is the very thing that makes him a good assistant, but a head coach who is made to look better than he is only by having sublimely good players like a mid-90's David Robinson (paired with a motivated Dennis Rodman) to bail him out.

pache100
01-04-2006, 03:13 PM
So again, its not a question of any one being RIGHT or WRONG...

That's been my point all along.

Kori Ellis
In that light, I don't see Perdue's statements as terribly controversial or evidence of some sort of bitterness, so maybe that's why I'm as fired up as I am to defend what he said.

Like I said, I don't think he's bitter at all. I see him around the Spurs organization quite often.

I don't think that his statements are "controversial" at all. Just a talking point.

5ToolMan

In MY opinion, if he was more knowledgable of a coach than Phil or Pop, he would have been back in the league sooner. Knowledgable doesn't just mean X's and O's or book smarts, it means relating to players as well .. and doing everything else that you need to know in order to be a good coach. I think it's laughable to think that he's more "knowledgable" than Pop/Phil. They've coached championship teams while he couldn't hold down a job at Fordham. It's my opinion. I'm entitled to it like every other poster. So cut your attitude. "Go figure?"

Knowledgable in the context Perdue used it, has very little relation to the other aspects of being a good coach that you mention.

I am not trying to put down Pop or Zen, who have earned all the praise they may get. But those who want to twist a little remark made as a complement to Hill and not as an insult to others, by Purdue, as a reason to punch Hill below the belt is crazy.

Sorry if I bruise a few feeling by testing the "inside knowledge" of others and seeing if they have any valid legs to stand their conclusions on.

Here and/or on Spurs Report, I have asked anyone to post any articles from trusted sources that say the firing of Hill by Pop was anything other than a difference desired playing systems by Pop and Bob. I have asked for anyone to post any articles from trusted sources that indicate Hill was blacked balled from the league.

None of merit have been produced, while I have provided copy and/or timelines to demonstrate most of the trash thrown to slam Hill was just made up BS.

If you are going to post an opinion on a subject, should it not be an informed one? Here is an Q&A that gives you some info on Hill and what he has been doing since he left the NBA.

What do you bring to the Sonics coaching staff?
I don't know. I think, after 30 years of coaching, I can bring whatever they need me to bring, to be honest with you. I've always prided myself on being a student of basketball. I've written a lot about it, I've studied it a lot and I've studied under coaches. I've always tried to keep an open mind, realizing that there's more ways to do things than one. I'm not unlike a lot of guys - there's certain things about basketball that I had success with that I certainly believe in, but if there's a better way to do it, then I've tried to be open-minded about it. I think I can bring whatever Bobby needs me to bring.

How would you describe your philosophy as a coach?
I wrote a book encouraging younger coaches to establish philosophies of the game - offense, defense, special situations, practices, the whole thing. As you move along, your philosophies change and get stronger. I think in the NBA, the teams that have a balance in their performance that is anchored with their defense are the ones that continue to play and finally win championships. I think trying to establish that balance, play both ends of the floor but anchor everything with your defense is really where I am right now. Offensively, I think it's really important to get easy baskets. I think this team in particular is a team that's built to run and is built to score points. I think it's important that we do get out there, but I think our biggest improvement has to come defensively. If we can do that, we can win a lot of games.

What have you done since coaching at Fordham?
I took the two years and I just immersed myself in basketball. We had a Big Man & Guard Camp at the United States Basketball Academy in Oregon, so I wrote the curriculum for that. We've run that two summers. Then I've been to China four times doing tours with teams and clinics. I did clinics in the States. I did a lot of training players, like Desmond Mason, who was here before. Desmond is a client of Roger Montgomery, who is in San Antonio, so for two years I trained all of his clients - Desmond, Joey and Stevie Graham this year, Winsome Frazier, Chris Owens and a bunch of them and then taught four or five other guys. So actually, from the end of the college season all the way through the summer, I was in the gym every day. I developed and kind of put finishing touches on a player skills development program and all the drills and philosophies behind that. I watched games every night and then read a lot of books. I read books to pick up ideas on managing people and motivating people. The motivation part, the stories that are in books and the ideas about managing people, even in business books, whatever book I could get my hands on. I read a lot. I did the whole gamut.

How did you get involved with the USBA?
They called me after I left San Antonio. They called and asked if I would come up and get involved. At that time, they were having an international tryout camp. There is a level of player in this country that would blow your mind. They're really good. They're just not, for some reason, quite good enough to play in the NBA. A lot of them go overseas today. The basketball community of the world's in pretty good shape. These teams in these other countries are good now, partly because of Americans who have gone over and, either as a player or a coach, gotten involved in the maturation process of some of these countries. At that time, it was Europeans and Asians and everybody was there to watch. So I went up there. When you go up there, if you like basketball, you fall in love with the place. It's 45 minutes outside of Eugene along the McKenzie River in this big huge valley with all these enormous trees. It's like heaven up there. The weather is usually beautiful, the air is so clean and the food there is great. All there is to do is eat, sleep and basketball. There is a golf course about a half-mile away, but I haven't played that much golf up there. It's a place I look forward to going to. You're in the gym six or seven hours a day, you go have dinner, then you sit in your lodge and talk basketball until you fall asleep. Then you get up and you get up and do it all over again. For people who love basketball, it's a heck of a place.

How has the NBA changed since you were last on the sidelines?
Players change leagues. I think the players have changed the league quite a bit since we started drafting younger players, so now the development of those players becomes a priority. The league is much quicker and faster than it was before, probably not quite as skilled in terms of passing and shooting. I think we've often - not so much in the NBA - lost that in-between game. They either want to shoot 3s or go in and finish. When you find a player that can shoot 3s and then hit long twos and mid-range twos and shoot a floater and a baby hook and a stepback, you've got yourself a player, at least offensively - there's not a lot of those. So I think, although it's probably in some respects a little more athletic and fun, we're still in that development stage. But some of those guys who came in from high school or one year of college are awfully good, and I think the NBA's going to turn the corner soon in terms of being better than it's ever been in terms of its players and the product we can put on the floor when these guys get some experience under their belt. When LeBron (James) gets a couple more years under his belt … some of these guys are really, really good. (Vladimir) Radmanovic is a good example. If he continues to get better, how much fun he'd be to watch night in and night out. Rashard (Lewis) is really good. Luke (Ridnour), after coming out early. There's a lot of them. Every team has a number of them. I think that's the biggest change.

Who would you call the best coach you've worked with during your career?
I've been pretty lucky. Tim Grgurich, who was here for a while - I worked with him early in my career. Then I was with Ted Owens, then I was with Larry Brown, then I was with Hubie Brown. I think Larry Brown stands out. Larry Brown is a basketball coach through and through, and that is the most important thing in his life. He doesn't allow other things to get involved too much with his basketball. He talks it, he eats it, he sleeps it. I learned so much from him. What I learned from him was really simple, which is usually the case. He keeps things simple, and he teaches teams to be a team - just what they're supposed to be. He demands it. I remember a lot. He's clearly the best one I ever worked with.

Kori Ellis
01-04-2006, 03:15 PM
If you are going to post an opinion on a subject, should it not be an informed one? Here is an Q&A that gives you some info on Hill and what he has been doing since he left the NBA.

My opinion is pretty well informed. I know a handful of players personally that played for his basketball academy in Oregon a few times. I know what he's been doing for the past few years.

Que Gee
01-04-2006, 03:17 PM
Phil Jackson is Tex Winters puppet. :spin Tex Winter is the one who implemented the triangle office in Chitown and LA. Not Phil Jackson. In fact, I think that is a perfect example of how a Bob Hill could most likely be a better X and O's coach then say a Phil Jackson. I think Phil did an unbelievable job with all the managing of the Pippens, and Shaqs, Rodmans, Jordans etc....But Tex Winter IS THE triangle offense. So, who would you say is a better X and O's guy? Tex or Phil...I'd say Tex...BUT, I would probably rather have Phil COACH the team...not Tex.

I just don't see how it seems so unfaithomable that Bob Hill could possibly know the X and O's game better than Pop and Phil.

The Spurs went 53-29 the year before Hill got fired...with DRob and Elliot. Was Bob Hill "knowledgable" that year?

5ToolMan
01-04-2006, 03:23 PM
You know, now that this "Hill is better than Pop" thing is being brought up, I'll admit, even I thought Hill was better than Pop when Hill got canned, because even with Pop at the helm after he fired Hill, the Spurs finished 20 - 62. Of course, I was only about 13 at the time, and all I knew about the Spurs then was that a) they sucked, and b) David Robinson was out for the season due to an injury. Wanna guess what it took to prove me wrong?

Tim Duncan in the Lottery?

pache100
01-04-2006, 03:28 PM
Sorry if I bruise a few feeling by testing the "inside knowledge" of others and seeing if they have any valid legs to stand their conclusions on.
:lol

Geez, are you the basketball god? I had no idea.

5ToolMan
01-04-2006, 03:30 PM
Thank you for ACTUALLY READING the article.
Everyone needs to stop being such a "whiner" when Pop isn't called the "best" coach...or Parker isn't named the "best" poing guard in the NBA.... It says he was the most "knowledable coach" he had played for. It doesn't say in any way, shape or form, that he is the BEST coach he ever played for. There's a difference.

Thanks for the props, even if the way I pointed it out was out of line.

In another post I gave info on how Hill has worked with USAB putting on camps around the World. He has also written books about coaching the game. That might be a good place for one to look if they wanted to experience his knowledge.

I can tell you, Phil does not do camps and the only basketball book he ever wrote was a tell all about the disfunctional Lakers that he helped destroy. Pop does few camps, and is too busy on his wine tasting tour every summer to record his knowledge on paper.

5ToolMan
01-04-2006, 03:31 PM
Geez, are you the basketball god? I had no idea.

No, but I do enjoy exposing those who claim to be. Do you have a problem with that?

5ToolMan
01-04-2006, 03:32 PM
My opinion is pretty well informed. I know a handful of players personally that played for his basketball academy in Oregon a few times. I know what he's been doing for the past few years.

Really? Like who?

pache100
01-04-2006, 03:33 PM
No, but I do enjoy exposing those who claim to be. Do you have a problem with that?

I didn't know anyone here claimed to be. No one but you is saying everyone else's opinions have to be measured against yours and if we don't agree with you, we're just wrong. You are the only one I've seen say or imply that :lol

Kori Ellis
01-04-2006, 03:34 PM
Really? Like who?

Well you can probably guess one -- Noel Felix was in his camp in Oregon last summer. He likes Bob Hill a lot. Bob Hill is the one who recommended him to Team USA, brought him in to Sonics training camp, etc.

Oh, Gee!!
01-04-2006, 03:35 PM
Really? Like who?

shhhh, you have no idea how far up this forum goes. stop asking questions.

ShoogarBear
01-04-2006, 03:42 PM
See, having Bob Hill back in the league has already brought some of the most fun we've had in years . . :tu

5ToolMan
01-04-2006, 03:55 PM
I didn't know anyone here claimed to be. No one but you is saying everyone else's opinions have to be measured against yours and if we don't agree with you, we're just wrong. You are the only one I've seen say or imply that :lol

I have not typed anything to indicate that I think someone is wrong, just because they don't agree with me. Anyone is welcome to any opinion they wish to hold.

I will challange what I view as flawed opinions, and give reason and facts to back up my position. If that bothers you, it may be an indication you needs to check your views and convictions.

If you feel strongly on your point, I welcome you to bring back something of merit to demonstrate your position. When you do, I will quickly acknolwedge my error and give proper credit where due. And I my friend will have learned a valuable lesson, because you had the conviction to stand up for what you believed.

I hope you would want non the less from me.

5ToolMan
01-04-2006, 03:56 PM
shhhh, you have no idea how far up this forum goes. stop asking questions.

LOL!

ChumpDumper
01-04-2006, 04:04 PM
Well his last two seasons at Fordham he went 2-26 and 4-24 -- and two of those wins in the last year were by forfeit.

I agree, the way he was fired sucks but once you lose the players, you're sunk anywhere.

pache100
01-04-2006, 04:04 PM
I have not typed anything to indicate that I think someone is wrong, just because they don't agree with me. Anyone is welcome to any opinion they wish to hold.

I will challange what I view as flawed opinions, and give reason and facts to back up my position. If that bothers you, it may be an indication you needs to check your views and convictions.

If you feel strongly on your point, I welcome you to bring back something of merit to demonstrate your position. When you do, I will quickly acknolwedge my error and give proper credit where due. And I my friend will have learned a valuable lesson, because you had the conviction to stand up for what you believed.

I hope you would want non the less from me.

There's that arrogance again. You say you don't think someone is wrong because they disagree with you then you turn right around and say you challenge "flawed opinions". :lol Oh, the irony.

Dude, you are not offering anything here other than opinion. Get off your high horse, it's a long fall. I repeat...your opinions are NOT the yardstick for judging all other opinions. Your opinions are NOT fact. You're offering the same thing everyone else here is...what you THINK. Get over yourself.

5ToolMan
01-04-2006, 04:43 PM
There's that arrogance again. You say you don't think someone is wrong because they disagree with you then you turn right around and say you challenge "flawed opinions". :lol Oh, the irony.

Dude, you are not offering anything here other than opinion. Get off your high horse, it's a long fall. I repeat...your opinions are NOT the yardstick for judging all other opinions. Your opinions are NOT fact. You're offering the same thing everyone else here is...what you THINK. Get over yourself.

It looks like little pache is having another anger fit. It is tough on the littleminded ones who don't like to be caught in lies and/or dont have the conviction to stand up and give valid reasons for their views.

You made a flawed comment about what Perdue said, and I called you on it. Don't get your panties in such a wad just because you are not big enough to just admit you were wrong and move on.

ShoogarBear
01-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Feb. 21: Seattle @ San Antonio

Good times. Book it.

pache100
01-04-2006, 04:49 PM
It looks like little pache is having another anger fit. It is tough on the littleminded ones who don't like to be caught in lies and/or dont have the conviction to stand up and give valid reasons for their views.

You made a flawed comment about what Perdue said, and I called you on it. Don't get your panties in such a wad just because you are not big enough to just admit you were wrong and move on.

I'm not having anything; in fact, I'm quite amused at your pomposity. You are the one making an idiot of yourself.

"I called you on it"

:lol :lol :lol

rayray2k8
01-04-2006, 05:07 PM
I think he's just trying to be upbeat about Hill coaching the sonics and is glad to see him coaching again. Everyone is laughing at his opinion because of Phil's 9 titles and Pops 3 titles. You gotta give him the benefit of the doubt when he says that, since he has played under all 3. Can anyone in here say that they have?? no.. I didnt think so.
But on his opinion on Hill being better than the 2? I think hes fucking retarded :lol

Que Gee
01-04-2006, 06:19 PM

Actually your starting to look like the over sensative one here...He never said they were "fact." Challenging flawed opinions is the whole reason for the discussion. Each person challenges each other's opinions. Its called a discussion. And you haven't added much to this one any way. His "opinions" have carried far more weight than your whining.