PDA

View Full Version : 12 Miners found alive - Breaking News, not 12 .. only one alive.

50 cent
01-04-2006, 12:02 AM
:tu

tsb2000
01-04-2006, 12:05 AM
:angel

01-04-2006, 12:06 AM
You have a link for that? All I can find is they found one miner dead.

Zombie
01-04-2006, 12:09 AM
Someone please bury Geraldo in the mine when we get the 12 out!

50 cent
01-04-2006, 12:10 AM
Turn on the news.

50 cent
01-04-2006, 12:11 AM
CNN.com, yahoo.com, foxnews.com

It's not that hard to find.

01-04-2006, 12:14 AM
i just refreshed CNN and Fox and saw the good news.

As a fellow miner (surface, metal/non-metal), thanks be to whomever watched over those 12 men and prayers to the man who didn't make it.

Solid D
01-04-2006, 12:20 AM
Praise God!

Zombie
01-04-2006, 12:25 AM
The 12 will be at a news conference tonight!

Pistons < Spurs
01-04-2006, 12:27 AM
Wonderful news!

Beerjitsu
01-04-2006, 12:30 AM
My grandad was a coal miner before he had to retire due to blacklung, so this kind of story always strikes close to home for me. Mad props to the rescue workers who busted their asses to get these guys home to their families.

01-04-2006, 12:32 AM
One fortunate thing is that MSHA's HQ is in WV as well, so they had an awful lot of knowledge of deep rescue very close.

boutons_
01-04-2006, 12:36 AM
Safety Violations Have Piled Up at Coal Mine

By Joby Warrick

Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, January 4, 2006; A04

Time and again over the past four years, federal mining inspectors documented the same litany of problems at central West Virginia's Sago Mine: mine roofs that tended to collapse without warning. Faulty or inadequate tunnel supports. A dangerous buildup of flammable coal dust.

Yesterday, the mine's safety record came into sharp focus as officials searched for explanations for Monday's underground explosion. That record, as reflected in dozens of federal inspection reports, shows a succession of operators struggling to overcome serious, long-standing safety problems, some of which could be part of the investigation into the cause of the explosion that trapped 13 miners.

In the past two years, the mine was cited 273 times for safety violations, of which about a third were classified as "significant and substantial," according to documents compiled by the Labor Department's Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA). Many were for problems that could contribute to accidental explosions or the collapse of mine tunnels, records show.

In addition, 16 violations logged in the past eight months were listed as "unwarrantable failures," a designation reserved for serious safety infractions for which the operator had either already been warned, or which showed "indifference or extreme lack of care," said Tony Oppegard, a former MSHA senior adviser.

"That is a very high number, and it is usually indicative of a very poor safety record," Oppegard said.

Sago, a relatively small mine that listed 145 employees last year, was operated by Anker West Virginia Mining Co. until two months ago, when it was purchased by International Coal Group Inc. "Much of the bad history you're talking about was beyond our reach and ability to control," company chief executive Bennett K. Hatfield said yesterday. "But there's been dramatic improvement, and I think regulatory agencies will confirm that."

In the hours after Monday's explosion, Eugene Kitts, a company vice president for mining, said the 46 alleged violations described in MSHA's most recent inspection report were all minor. "We addressed them," he said.

But in MSHA's reports, 18 of the 46 most recent violations were listed as "significant and substantial." Among the problems cited: inadequate safeguards against the collapse of the mine roof and inadequate ventilation to guard against the buildup of deadly gases.

Other inspection reports over the past two years fault the mine for "combustibles," including a buildup of flammable coal dust and a failure to adequately insulate electric wires. Sparks from electrical equipment can ignite coal dust and methane gas, triggering fires and explosions.

The mine is contesting some of the violations, while agreeing to pay more than $24,000 in penalties to settle others.

Government documents also show a high rate of injuries and accidents at Sago. Although no miners were reported killed at the mine since at least 1995, 42 workers and contractors were injured in accidents since 2000, records show. The average number of working days lost because of accidents in the past five years was nearly double the national average for underground coal mines, MSHA documents show.

Some serious accidents caused no injuries. For example, in the past year, large sections of the mine's rocky roof collapsed on at least 20 occasions -- but not when workers were in the affected tunnels. Some of the collapsed sections were rocky slabs of up to 100 feet long. The most recent roof collapse occurred on Dec. 5, less than a month before Monday's explosion.

J. Davitt McAteer, who headed MSHA during the Clinton administration, said he was troubled by an apparent spike in accidents and violations that occurred beginning about two years ago.

"The violations are not the worst I've ever seen -- and certainly not the best -- but I'm am concerned about the trend and the direction they're going in. It's indication to those running the operation that you've got a problem here."

Staff writer Ann Scott Tyson in Sago, W.Va., contributed to this report.

© 2006 The Washington Post Company

01-04-2006, 12:40 AM
Don't believe everything you read Boutons. Having worked under MSHA for over 15 years, inspectors will cite anything and everything and call it "S&S" (significant and substantial). Expired fire extinguishers, welding leads with worn covers, standing within 6 feet of the edge of a dock without a work vest, etc.

I'm not saying that there may have been some serious issues with the mine, but voilations is where MSHA makes money (in fines).

Solid D
01-04-2006, 12:41 AM
True to form, boutons, with the buzzkill.

T Park
01-04-2006, 01:09 AM
True to form, Boutons will soon blame this on Bush too.

DEMANDING an impeachment hearing as well.

nickbroken
01-04-2006, 01:11 AM
Praise Buddha

Kori Ellis
01-04-2006, 02:50 AM
Breaking news. There's only one alive. Turn on CNN.

Kori Ellis
01-04-2006, 02:50 AM
They said it was a lack of communication saying 12.

Kori Ellis
01-04-2006, 02:55 AM
They told the families now after the families were celebrating. And now the families are going crazy.

SA210
01-04-2006, 02:55 AM
I'm watching it, this is sad.

SequSpur
01-04-2006, 02:57 AM
Damn... I don't know what to say... What a major screw up......

SequSpur
01-04-2006, 02:59 AM
How in the heck did this happen? How do you say that they are alive and then come back 3 hours later and say they are dead?

What was the proof of life?

Fuck.

SA210
01-04-2006, 03:00 AM
exactly, imagine the excitement the families expressed telling all their loved ones are ok, telling their kids, now it's just the opposite as they waited to see them.

no words can explain this

Kori Ellis
01-04-2006, 03:02 AM
what happened and where?

They announced that 12 of the 13 miners were found alive 3 hours ago. Even the governor and representatives confirmed it. It went over all the news wires. All the families went down there celebrating that they found them alive and to see them.

And now they just announced, ut oh, we fucked up it was a miscommunication -- 12 of the 13 are dead.

SA210
i wish there was something i could do. they'll be in my prayers.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
Talk about a fuck up...

Kori Ellis
01-04-2006, 03:03 AM
Man, I feel sorry for these people. They called everyone and said that their relatives were alive and now they are really dead :cry What a screw up.

SA210
01-04-2006, 03:04 AM
yea, imagine the kids thinking their dads were ok afterall, the rest of the family, then just a complete turnaround, just like that, the worst.

How does someone take in that information?

SequSpur
01-04-2006, 03:06 AM
This story has been all of the world for the last 3 hours... you mean to tell me that someone with authority that really knew wtf was up couldn't walk up the fucking hill and say... this is only speculation, there is no confirmation....... WTF?

SA210
01-04-2006, 03:07 AM
That's what I was asking myself.

SA210
01-04-2006, 03:08 AM
press conference right now

SequSpur
01-04-2006, 03:19 AM
well... it seems that some dipshit didn't understand something and jumped to conclusions and it made everyone think that they were alive...

They could've prevented this by putting an AP camera on the scene and making more frequent statement releases instead of trying to keep the media secluded...

This whole thing is fubar...

Why in the fuck didn't they just steam roll into the mine when the shit happened with some type of mask, gear, equipment, etc..?????????

It seems that there weren't many obstacles in getting to them....

I don't understand the coalminers...

iminlakerland
01-04-2006, 03:24 AM
Omg this is horrendous. My heart truely goes out to those families who after thinking they were living in a nightmare had hope again, only to have it pulled right out from under them.

I cant imagine the pain and suffering they are going through now. My thoughts and prayers are with those families.

SequSpur
01-04-2006, 03:27 AM
Suicide Watch...

this mofo knew the info was not correct and sat on it.....

damn...............

SequSpur
01-04-2006, 03:28 AM
The CEO found out the initial report was incorrect and didn't say anything... he just let the families believe everyone was alive...

iminlakerland
01-04-2006, 03:32 AM
I dont understand how a miscommunication could go on for so long...

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
01-04-2006, 03:32 AM
The CEO found out the initial report was incorrect and didn't say anything... he just let the families believe everyone was alive...

What's he supposed to say, some are dead, some might be alive we don't know who or how many, so just sit tight?

SequSpur
01-04-2006, 03:36 AM
Read my previous post.. all he had to do 2 1/2 hours ago was to come out and say there is no confirmation of anything, please don't jump to conclusions, as soon as we are sure who is alive, we will notify the next of kin.

Book it.

He fucked up.

RashoFan
01-04-2006, 03:43 AM
Very sad news indeed...my thoughts and prayers to ALL the families...

Tek_XX
01-04-2006, 03:53 AM
What's he supposed to say, some are dead, some might be alive we don't know who or how many, so just sit tight?

Something like this, yes. He's saying he found out twenty minutes after the incorrect information was given but that they didn't know what exactly who was alive or dead. Seems to me you make sure the everyone knows that the previous story is incorrect, you don't wait three hours.

Tek_XX
01-04-2006, 03:55 AM
A lot of ass covering is going on by the company and the governor.

SequSpur
01-04-2006, 03:57 AM
The governor is doing a good job right now, I think....

There never was an official report...

I was watching CNN when some dude ran by Anderson Cooper and said 12 Alive.. 12 Alive...

Then 3 hours later, some lady walks up and is pissed... He told her WTF? who told you they were dead? I was like holy shit.. unbelievable.

SAtown
01-04-2006, 03:59 AM
I can't believe what has just happened (with all the confusion and "rollercoaster" of emotions that the families have gone through). I pray for those families of the victims, I pray for the recovery of the individual that survived, but most of all I pray that the victims did not suffer greatly in the last moments of their lives.
Also, the fact that officials knew ahead of time of worse news than victims families were aware of makes me cringe.

Vashner
01-04-2006, 04:48 AM
Also, the fact that officials knew ahead of time of worse news than victims families were aware of makes me cringe.

How did you come up with calling that a "fact"??
It's a rumor.

Kori Ellis
01-04-2006, 04:50 AM
It's a rumor.

The governor and the CEO said they knew 20 minutes after the initial reports that all 12 were alive that it really wasn't the case -- but they didn't know exactly what the circumstances were exactly.

Texas Headliner
01-04-2006, 06:03 AM
well... it seems that some dipshit didn't understand something and jumped to conclusions and it made everyone think that they were alive...

They could've prevented this by putting an AP camera on the scene and making more frequent statement releases instead of trying to keep the media secluded...

This whole thing is fubar...

Why in the fuck didn't they just steam roll into the mine when the shit happened with some type of mask, gear, equipment, etc..?????????

It seems that there weren't many obstacles in getting to them....

I don't understand the coalminers...

True.

I think I had heard that updates were given once every two hours during this ordeal.

Obviously, there is more than meets the eye in a rescue mission such as this, but I think the process of rescuing in no good.

Why couldn't they hae done like you said and bulldozed right in, right away.

If we used other sources of energy, these guys would have never been down there digging coal.

Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda..

I would like us to go away from oil and coal, but that is another debate for another day.

My thoughts and prayers are with all involved along with everyone else.

Dre_7
01-04-2006, 06:15 AM
Just got home from working all night. Had no clue about this whole thing. It is just sad for the families and my prayers go out to them.

But, how in THE HELL could the media, or whoever, screw up the report so badly?!?!?!?
Its just sad and frustrating!!

ObiwanGinobili
01-04-2006, 08:09 AM
oh my goodness.
this is just the most horrible thing.
can you even imagne what those faimlies were going thru??? :cry

I ahve to agree with Sequ... if they knew that the report wasn't correct the least they could've doen was go out and say that "nothign had been confirmed, we don;t know who is alive or dead just yet, hold your horses"
not too fuckign hard to say that. but these sick mofo's want to just let everyone go on clebrating and waiting in expectation to see thier loved ones.
sick.

1Parker1
01-04-2006, 10:41 AM
I just read that them miscommunication was caused because someone overheard on the phone that "they've found 12 of the miners" and took that to mean they were alive and went to the press with it.

Horrible ending to a horrible event. Can you imagine how that one survivor is going to feel? He is one very, very lucky man. Does anyone know how he managed to survive, while the others didn't?

50 cent
01-04-2006, 11:27 AM
Wow, I went to bed last night listening to them celebrate and woke up to hearing that 12 had died. How terrible. You have to feel for those families.

1Parker1, the guy that is still alive is much younger than the others. The Dr that is caring for him said that youth always helps in situations like this.

pache100
01-04-2006, 11:29 AM
But, how in THE HELL could the media, or whoever, screw up the report so badly?!?!?!?
Its just sad and frustrating!!

For once, the media was just doing their job. It was the governor and the CEO of the mining company that screwed up and made public announcments that 12 of the miners were alive. They should have held their tongues until they had seen for themselves. Many, many newspapers across the country (including our own Express-News), after holding the presses for headlines all night, went to press with the news that 12 were alive. Now, the families and friends of these men will have to live with that the rest of their lives. I feel so sorry for their parents, spouses, and children. Anyone who loved them. The governor and the CEO should be shot at sundown. My thoughts and prayers go out to all the families involved. I am praying for Mr. McCloy.

This is unforgiveable.

1Parker1
01-04-2006, 11:34 AM
1Parker1, the guy that is still alive is much younger than the others. The Dr that is caring for him said that youth always helps in situations like this.

I figured he was young and that probably was in his favor, but carbon monoxide is carbon monoxide and they siad that the level of CO2 was 10 times the amount a healthy person can stand.

easjer
01-04-2006, 11:40 AM
Well, from what I understand, there were three spots that the miners were in. One was several hundred yards away from the others, eleven were together, behind a barricade they put together (presumably to protect themselves in case of further collapsing), and the survivor, apart from them. I'm wondering if that barricade had anything to do with it . . . maybe increasing the CO2 levels around them or something?

50 cent
01-04-2006, 12:37 PM
I hadn't heard that easjer...that's interesting.

JoeChalupa
01-04-2006, 12:45 PM
I heard the leak wasn't from an official but somebody at the sight who used their cell phone to notify the families.

I think they handled it as well as they could under the circumstances.

Kori Ellis
01-04-2006, 12:46 PM
I figured he was young and that probably was in his favor, but carbon monoxide is carbon monoxide and they siad that the level of CO2 was 10 times the amount a healthy person can stand.

When they found him, he had his breathing apparatus on and it was still functioning.

sa_butta
01-04-2006, 12:47 PM
When they found him, he had his breathing apparatus on and it was still functioning.And they said this morning that those things usually only give about an hour of breathing.

1Parker1
01-04-2006, 01:36 PM
Well, from what I understand, there were three spots that the miners were in. One was several hundred yards away from the others, eleven were together, behind a barricade they put together (presumably to protect themselves in case of further collapsing), and the survivor, apart from them. I'm wondering if that barricade had anything to do with it . . . maybe increasing the CO2 levels around them or something?

Wow, he's lucky to have survived cosnidering it happened Monday morning and that he was the only one out of 12 men.

50 cent
01-04-2006, 01:39 PM
And they said this morning that those things usually only give about an hour of breathing.
Hmmm...41 hours. Something doesn't add up.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-04-2006, 01:52 PM
Talk about a monumental fuck up....

SAtown
01-04-2006, 03:06 PM
It's a rumor.

Vashner, I was watching for about 2 hours (LIVE-- as it was happening). I also saw all the press conferences LIVE. That's "how [I] came up with calling that a 'fact.'" K, thanks

Kori Ellis
01-04-2006, 03:09 PM
And they said this morning that those things usually only give about an hour of breathing.

Yeah they said that ... but I watched the live news conference of the lady from the hospital at 4am this morning. She said that it was on him and functioning when he was found -- so who knows. Miracle I guess.