PDA

View Full Version : Sonics waive Mateen Cleaves

Kori Ellis
01-04-2006, 04:18 PM
SEATTLE - The Seattle SuperSonics today waived guard Mateen Cleaves, Sonics General Manager Rick Sund announced.

A 6-2 guard out of Michigan State, Cleaves averaged 4.1 points, 1.9 assists and 10.7 minutes per game in 19 appearances for the Sonics this season.

Cleaves, a five-year veteran, has averaged 3.8 ppg, 1.9 apg and 1.1 rpg in 159 NBA career games. He was originally drafted by the Detroit Pistons in the first round (14th pick overall) of the 2000 NBA Draft. Cleaves was signed by the Sonics as a free agent on Nov. 5, 2004 and re-signed with the team on Sep. 30, 2005. He appeared in 33 games over two seasons in Seattle.

The Sonics roster now stands at 14 players.

Oh, Gee!!
01-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Lets trade Beno for him

sa_butta
01-04-2006, 05:45 PM
I know The Memphis was looking for a PG.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/grizzlies/article/0,1426,MCA_475_4361869,00.html

Griz increase Gasol push

Team touting forward for All-Star status

By Don Wade
Contact (http://contacts.commercialappeal.com/open/findsomeone.cfm)
January 4, 2006 The Grizzlies' All-Star campaign for power forward Pau Gasol is ramping up, and so before Tuesday's game the team media relations staff distributed "Vote Now! Vote Pau!" buttons to media members. Gasol got his first look at the button, too.

"Its nice," said Gasol, who carried a 19.5 scoring average and 9.5 rebounding average into Tuesday's game here against Golden State. "I know how hard it is to get in, especially by vote. So many big names out there. It's nice the team is coming out like that for me, recognizing the stuff I've been doing so far this year. I know I'm going to have to keep playing very well."

It's far more realistic, however, that Gasol would make the team as a reserve by the coaches' vote.

"A lot of coaches look at record as a very, very important factor in determining who they're going to vote for," said Grizzlies coach Mike Fratello, whose team is 20-10. "Winning is important. It's been demonstrated in the past with the coaches' votes. It's not just numbers and stats. Sometimes you get a guy who just overwhelmingly should be there and his team doesn't have the best record. Other times, it's a balance. In Pau's case, the record can only help him."

Perhaps especially so if it comes down to him and say, a Carmelo Anthony, whose Denver Nuggets are below .500.

"If we keep winning, and I keep playing at a good level, I have a good chance. Right now, we're the fourth-best record in the league," said Gasol. "It's going to be unfair for two or three guys anyway, guys playing at a high level and their teams aren't doing that well, but still they're that kind of player. In the West, power forward and forward are so tight because there are so many good players."

And if he does make it?

"That'll be a great accomplishment," Gasol said. "I know the game itself is not real important. But just being recognized as one of the All-Star players in the league gives you a lot of respect. Also having a Grizzly in the main event, that would be nice for the team and the city."

Stoudamire surgery

Damon Stoudamire underwent successful, albeit season-ending surgery Tuesday for the repair of his ruptured right patellar tendon. Team physician Fred Azer performed the surgery at the Campbell Clinic Surgery Center.

"Just talking to Scott (McCullough, the team's trainer), they were very pleased with how everything went, how it looked when they got in there," Fratello said. "So much of it is the attitude of the person dealing with it and not many people are as positive as Damon, so he will drive himself to get back to where he was so he can resume his career next season."

Team president of basketball operations Jerry West continues to seek another veteran point guard, but if and until one is acquired, Antonio Burks will play a lot of minutes.

"I feel in my heart that I can do it," said Burks, a second-year player from the University of Memphis. "Any time I get, I gotta take advantage of it."

Miller time

The Grizzlies' Mike Miller, still healing from a high ankle sprain, received the all-clear after having an MRI Tuesday. He was not on the inactive list for Tuesday's game. "Nobody wants Mike to come back and play hurt ... you don't want to ruin the rest of his season," Fratello said.