PDA

View Full Version : Lynn Swan Running as a GOP candidate in PA

Dos
01-04-2006, 05:56 PM
PITTSBURGH - Former Steelers star Lynn Swann declared his candidacy for Pennsylvania governor Wednesday in the city where he made his name in professional football.

ADVERTISEMENT

He told The Associated Press in an interview Wednesday afternoon that he made up his mind to run in the fall, after spending months weighing support at events around the state.

Swann, a Hall of Fame receiver and longtime TV football commentator, faces three other candidates in seeking the Republican nomination for governor — his first run for political office. The winner of the May 16 primary would likely face Democratic Gov. Ed Rendell, who is expected to seek a second four-year term.

If successful in his first bid for political office, Swann would become Pennsylvania's first black governor. His announcement was no surprise: His political committee has been raising money for his campaign for nearly a year.

Swann, 53, planned to kick off his campaign with a Wednesday night rally in Pittsburgh, followed by appearances in five other cities Thursday and Friday.

The Steelers won four Super Bowls during Swann's nine-year pro career with the team. He has worked for ABC Sports since his retirement from football in 1983.

Swann said he put off a formal announcement until now to avoid conflicts with his ABC Sports duties.

If elected, he said he would not resume his broadcasting career even on a part-time basis. Rendell moonlights as a Philadelphia Eagles post-game analyst for Comcast SportsNet in Philadelphia.

"I think the people of Pennsylvania would rather have a governor who is committed to being there," Swann said.

Swann has so far revealed little about his political philosophy or the initiatives he would pursue as governor. He has advocated reducing certain business taxes and said he opposes abortion rights.

In independent polling, former Lt. Gov. William Scranton III and Swann are running ahead of the other two GOP candidates, but behind Rendell.

Swann said Wednesday that he hopes to convince blacks that he is a better candidate than Rendell, the former Philadelphia mayor. The Democratic Party has "taken the African American vote for granted," Swann said.

G. Terry Madonna, a pollster and professor at Franklin & Marshall College in Lancaster, said Swann needs to convince voters that he has ideas and the leadership ability necessary to turn them into policy. He could benefit from disenchantment with the state and national governments, Madonna said.

"Voters are looking for fresh faces," Madonna said. Swann "has a personal story to tell that's compelling."

The eventual GOP nominee could get a big boost Feb. 11, when the Republican State Committee meets to consider endorsing a candidate. On Wednesday, Scranton wrote Swann to ask him to participate in several debates before the meeting. Swann said he would be happy to participate in debates.

Oh, Gee!!
01-04-2006, 06:01 PM
I hated him when he played for the Steelers and I hate him now that he's playing for the repugs (aka Stealers)

ChumpDumper
01-04-2006, 06:04 PM
The Democratic Party has "taken the African American vote for granted," Swann said.I always love that chestnut. Republicans send thank you notes.

Oh, Gee!!
01-04-2006, 06:06 PM
I'm sure the repugs are lovin' that 1% approval rating of the prez by black voters

Dos
01-04-2006, 06:27 PM
who cares .. I am glad he can make a decision about his politics without being stereotyped into the because "I am a minority I a must vote democratic crap" that crap never worked for this minority....

Vashner
01-04-2006, 06:35 PM
That 1% is rubbish... there are a lot of black conservatives.

Oh, Gee!!
01-04-2006, 06:35 PM

name them

SA210
01-04-2006, 06:51 PM
:lmao that sounds like a dumb Gtown comment :lmao

Oh, Gee!!
01-04-2006, 06:52 PM
:lmao that sounds like a dumb Gtown comment :lmao

you see, they are black because they're conservative

SA210
01-04-2006, 07:00 PM
Gtown=Alberto Gonzales?

Dos
01-04-2006, 07:08 PM
jc watts, condeleeza rice, colin powell, lynn swann, allen keyes, jesse lee patterson, thomas sowell, ken hamblin.. to name a few...

SA210
01-04-2006, 07:16 PM
run out sellouts already?

Dos
01-04-2006, 10:41 PM
oh yeah they are only sell outs .. cause they think for themselves.... lol.. funny how a liberals can't stand free thinking minorities....

Ocotillo
01-04-2006, 11:02 PM
jc watts, condeleeza rice, colin powell, lynn swann, allen keyes, jesse lee patterson, thomas sowell, ken hamblin.. to name a few...

Well, that's about .000000000001% of the population.

Vashner
01-05-2006, 12:10 AM
If you where black you could wash cars or run a leaf blower during the Clinton and Carter administrations....

SA210
01-05-2006, 01:01 AM
Well, that's about .000000000001% of the population.
Whoa, Vashners right that's alot :lol

exstatic
01-05-2006, 01:20 AM
He'll lose GOP votes when they found out he's studied ballet.

It's funny, but a LOT of people on that list were famous for something else: Swann and Watts for athletics, Powell for his military career. Must be the only black people that conservatives know: those who entered their homes via TV. God knows 90% of them would never let an actual live black person into their homes.

Nbadan
01-05-2006, 03:52 AM
Someone should ask Mr. Swann what being a Conservative means to him? (Stand back and watch the hilarity)

Dre_7
01-05-2006, 06:41 AM
My two cents:
Liberals are *bleepin* idiots.
Conservatives are *bleepin* idiots.

There, that about covers it.

jochhejaam
01-05-2006, 07:22 AM
It's funny, but a LOT of people on that list were famous for something else: Swann and Watts for athletics, Powell for his military career. Must be the only black people that conservatives know: those who entered their homes via TV. God knows 90% of them would never let an actual live black person into their homes.
Gross mistatement exstatic, it's the other way around as far as who lets whom into their homes. Blacks that don't fit into the left-wing liberal mold are labeled Uncles Toms and would not be welcome into the homes of the Jesse/lemming mob.

You either love Jesse and the Dem. Party or don't support their views and have betrayed your own race, how ridiculously demeaning and simple-minded.

My take on that list is that all of those named is that they are intelligent and successful.

travis2
01-05-2006, 07:47 AM
The liberals on this board are the true racist face of the Democratic Party. And they continue to show it.

SA210
01-05-2006, 09:11 AM
So, um, anyway,

anymore names?

travis2
01-05-2006, 09:17 AM
Who cares? Aren't you loving, compassionate liberals supposed to be colorblind?

Oh wait...that's only when those pesky minorities stay in their place.

I'd STFU if I were you.

SA210
01-05-2006, 09:37 AM
Aren't you the one I was talking to about the Bible, it's funny how attitudes change, Wow.

So anyway, I guess yall ran out of names.

RobinsontoDuncan
01-05-2006, 09:39 AM
you guys forgot one....Clarance Thomas.

The reason why Blacks are dems and why the Blacks see black republicans as sell outs is because the Dems passed the civil rights act, sponsored the great society legislation like affirmative action, and the republicans like your friend Strom Thurman hated Blacks with a passion even after fathering a black child. Black conservatives are against things that the majority of african americans are for, things like equality and tolerance.

anyway you wanted to know.

SA210
01-05-2006, 09:43 AM
Black conservatives are against things that the majority of african americans are for, things like equality and tolerance.

travis2
01-05-2006, 10:05 AM
Sorry, RtoD...your lies stop here. The civil rights act would not have passed without REPUBLICAN support. Your Democratic heroes tried their best to kill it.

No, the fact remains that the real racists and KKK holdovers are all Democrats. Robert Byrd and Al Gore Sr, anyone?

And SA210, you don't know a thing about me. So once again I'd STFU if I were you. Come back when you actually have to earn a living, raise a family, pay taxes, things that real people have to do.

Oh, Gee!!
01-05-2006, 10:14 AM
The liberals on this board are the true racist face of the Democratic Party. And they continue to show it.

Who controls the British crown?
Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do.

Who leaves the Atlantis off the maps?
Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do.

Who holds back the electric car?
Who makes Steve Guttenberg a star?
We do! We do.

Who robs cave fish of their sight?
Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do! We dooooooo!!!.

xrayzebra
01-05-2006, 10:14 AM
He'll lose GOP votes when they found out he's studied ballet.

Yeah who would want Swan and Thomas and Rice, when you can have
Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.......now your talking some real men.
Men of integrity and truthfulness.

xrayzebra
01-05-2006, 10:18 AM
Who controls the British crown?
Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do.

Who leaves the Atlantis off the maps?
Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do.

Who holds back the electric car?
Who makes Steve Guttenberg a star?
We do! We do.

Who robs cave fish of their sight?
Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do! We dooooooo!!!.

huh?

SA210
01-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Come back when you actually have to earn a living, raise a family, pay taxes, things that real people have to do.

I do moron, and I do it as a single parent. Obviously You know nothing about Me. Come back when u know a least half of what your talking about. :rolleyes

travis2
01-05-2006, 10:38 AM
I was RAISED by a single parent, asshole.

Don't bring up the Bible and stuff like that while you uphold bigots.

Taco
01-05-2006, 10:42 AM
Terry Bradshaw was a Quardtherback

Oh, Gee!!
01-05-2006, 10:43 AM

Don't bring up the Bible and stuff like that while you uphold bigots.

So much anger from this one

SA210
01-05-2006, 10:45 AM

What's your point? So was I. And I too am a single parent raising a family, paying taxes, and I vote. So You don't know me. Calling me names doesn't change anything or make your arguement valid especially when u quote the Bible. And Bush is the bigot.

travis2
01-05-2006, 10:50 AM
Wrong answer. And you have nothing to show for it except your ingrained hatred of anyone conservative.

Democrats are the bigots.

RobinsontoDuncan
01-05-2006, 10:58 AM
Sorry, RtoD...your lies stop here. The civil rights act would not have passed without REPUBLICAN support. Your Democratic heroes tried their best to kill it.

No, the fact remains that the real racists and KKK holdovers are all Democrats. Robert Byrd and Al Gore Sr, anyone?

Oh jeese you didnt tell me you watched the O'Reily factor... ok...sweat pulsating down my face...how to answer this one.....

first of all: LBJ not only created and pushed through the legislation, it is well know that there just happened to be more republicans in congress at that time, and that the DIXIcrats within the democratic party (aka souther democrats) broke with the party and joined the republican party immidatly following the civil rights act, and the liberal republicans that supported the bill left the republican party and joined the democratic party.

However, you, I, and bill o'reiley know damn well that it was the liberal wing of the democratic party that passed that damn bill.

and after 1964 every piece of civil rights legislation was sponsered by dems and opposed by your new found strom thurman allies

SA210
01-05-2006, 11:01 AM
Travis2, I have a hatred for alot of the Conservatives actions and views. That doesn't mean I hate conservatives. God says we should detest certian things that He detests.

And I never said Dems are perfect. And never said I was Dem. I just can't go with the horrific actions of this administration and it's followers.

travis2
01-05-2006, 11:03 AM
No, I don't watch O'Reilley. Can't stand him, actually. I just see bigots for who they are.

And you can continue to try to brainwash the weak-minded with your garbage, but I don't succumb to your bullshit.

xrayzebra
01-05-2006, 11:04 AM
^^You mean like racial quotas that exclude whites? Set asides for
so called minorities. Yeah real equality, right? :lol

travis2
01-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Travis2, I have a hatred for alot of the Conservatives actions and views. That doesn't mean I hate conservatives. God says we should detest certian things that He detests.

And I never said Dems are perfect. And never said I was Dem. I just can't go with the horrific actions of this administration and it's followers.

And I can't go with a party that uses class lies to perpetuate its own plantation philosophy and actively works to keep minorities uneducated and dependent.

Hint....that's not the Conservatives doing that.

Hook Dem
01-05-2006, 11:16 AM
And I can't go with a party that uses class lies to perpetuate its own plantation philosophy and actively works to keep minorities uneducated and dependent.

Hint....that's not the Conservatives doing that.
WELL SAID TRAVIS!!!!!! :elephant

xrayzebra
01-05-2006, 11:39 AM
^^Wonder if our Liberals on this post ever looked up the
Prima Donna, Constitution loving, I love you guy, Robert Byrd. You know
that grand old Dimm-o-crap, Grand Dragon of the KKK.
Why he carrys a copy of the Constitution in his pocket at all times. Just ask
him, he will tell you.

travis2
01-05-2006, 11:58 AM
To SA210...

It is obvious that you and I are politically worlds apart. And that is not going to change.

However, I agree that I should not have started things with a "STFU" this morning. For that I apologize.

Might we start from scratch.

SA210
01-05-2006, 11:59 AM
The Conservatives support a War based on lies and thousands are dead because of it. There's not much worse than that.

Oh, Gee!!
01-05-2006, 12:00 PM
SA210 don't let him off that easy. Go in for the kill, he's weak!!

SA210
01-05-2006, 12:01 PM
To SA210...

It is obvious that you and I are politically worlds apart. And that is not going to change.

However, I agree that I should not have started things with a "STFU" this morning. For that I apologize.

Might we start from scratch.
Yes, I understand we disagree completely, but from the past, i know that you and I can still have a decent debate. :tu unlike Xray or gtown.

SA210
01-05-2006, 12:04 PM
SA210 don't let him off that easy. Go in for the kill, he's weak!!
:lol, darn too late.

xrayzebra
01-05-2006, 12:08 PM
Yes, I understand we disagree completely, but from the past, i know that you and I can still have a decent debate. :tu unlike Xray or gtown.

ahhh, you are mad at me....... :depressed :pctoss

jochhejaam
01-05-2006, 07:17 PM
Black conservatives are against things that the majority of african americans are for, things like equality and tolerance.

anyway you wanted to know.
"Black conservatives are against tolerance ane equality"
That's garbage RTD, back that smack up with some facts!

And don't throw Affirmative Action around as if it has anything to do with either. Like equality= Affirmative Action which is reverse discrimination.

RobinsontoDuncan
01-05-2006, 08:50 PM
reverse discrimination? Fine, I'm white and a male, and affirmative action has never halted my career success.

But I have seen it force companies to begin hiring minorities...so oh well.

btw the quota system isnt practiced anymore because it has been ruled reverse discrimination.

ok: black conservatives are against gay rights ....why because conservatives are. Black conservatives are against the seperation of church and state, which is an attempt of the radical christian right to force their religion on everyone. Why? because conservatives are?

Black conservatives are for profiling and torture...why because conseravtives are for profiling arabs and against limiting torture (save McCain because he has a brain)

exstatic
01-05-2006, 11:15 PM
Democrats are the bigots.
A lot of them were in the 60s. Now they're just Republicans.

travis2
01-06-2006, 07:26 AM
No, they just run around accusing people of being sellouts and race traitors. The bigotry in today's liberal left is unquestionable.

jochhejaam
01-06-2006, 07:41 AM
[QUOTE=RobinsontoDuncan]reverse discrimination? Fine, I'm white and a male, and affirmative action has never halted my career success.
For most it doesn't but it happens and it's shameful for those that are more qualified for a job and are turned down or given a job in spite of lower qualifications solely on ethnicity.
If bad law doesn't directly affect you no big deal huh?

But I have seen it force companies to begin hiring minorities...so oh well.
That's good as long as they are equally or more qualified.

btw the quota system isnt practiced anymore because it has been ruled reverse discrimination.
It's practiced in my city especially in the hiring of contractors, problem is they still have a hard time finding qualified minority contractors so they end up hiring out of city in order to get an extra 2% participation (bad policy when qualified in city contractors and jobs are ignored) or lesser qualified contractors (bad again).

ok: black conservatives are against gay rights ....why because conservatives are. Black conservatives are against the seperation of church and state, which is an attempt of the radical christian right to force their religion on everyone. Why? because conservatives are?

Black conservatives are for profiling and torture...why because conseravtives are for profiling arabs and against limiting torture (save McCain because he has a brain)
This statement does not remotely qualify as backing up your statement with fact, still no more than an unsubstantiated opinion which is fine, just don't state it as if it's fact.

SA210
01-06-2006, 09:34 AM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b381/livindeadboi/bush_great_in_uniform.jpg

gtownspur
01-07-2006, 12:28 AM
All photoshop and no insight.

SA210
01-07-2006, 01:23 AM
^^^ the fag's here

http://spurstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21

jochhejaam
01-07-2006, 07:07 AM
^^^ the fag's here

http://spurstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Here's a nice little verse study from Romans SA, let me know what you think about it.

God’s judgment upon the morally educated.

An indictment of the morally educated.

"Therefore you are inexcusable, O man, whoever you are who judge, for in whatever you judge another you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things. But we know that the judgment of God is according to truth against those who practice such things. And do you think this, O man, you who judge those practicing such things, and doing the same, that you will escape the judgment of God?"

Therefore you are inexcusable, O man, whoever you are who judge: In Romans 1, Paul pointed out the sin of the most notoriously guilty; he now envisions those who are generally “moral” in their conduct congratulating themselves that they are not like the people Paul described in Romans 1.

A good example of this mind set is Jesus’ illustration of the Pharisee and the Publican. If we take those figures from Jesus’ parable, now Paul addresses the Pharisee (Luke 18:10-14).

Undoubtedly, in many ways the Jew of Paul’s day typified the moralist; but his words in Romans 2:1-16 seem to have a wider application, beyond Jews only. For example, what about Seneca, the Roman moral teacher and tutor of Nero? He would agree wholeheartedly with Paul regarding the morals of most pagans, but a man like Seneca would think, “I’m different from those immoral people.”

Many Christians admired Seneca and his strong stand for “morals” and “family values.” “But too often he tolerated in himself vices not so different from those which he condemned in others - the most flagrant instance being his connivance at Nero’s murder of his mother Agrippina.” (Bruce)

b. For in whatever you judge another you condemn yourself:

After gaining the agreement of the moralist in condemning the obvious sinner, now Paul turns the same argument upon the moralist himself. This is because at the end of it all, for you who judge practice the same things.

As we judge another person, we point to a standard outside of our self - and that standard condemns everyone, not only the “obvious” sinner. “Since you know the justice of God, as evidenced by the fact that you are judging others, you are without an excuse, because is the very act of judging you have condemned yourself.” (Murray)

Practice the same things: Notice that the moralist is not condemned for judging others; but for being guilty of the same things that he judges others for. This is something the moral man would object to (“I’m not like them at all!”), but Paul will demonstrate this is the truth.

Wuest, quoting Denney on for you who judge practice the same things: “Not, you do the identical actions, but your conduct is the same, i.e., you sin against light. The sin of the Jews was the same, but their sins were not.”

So as not to totally ignore the thread topic, Go Lynn, Go!

SA210
01-07-2006, 11:03 AM
jokejam, you support a bloody war that killed thousnads of people, and based on Lies, You shouldn't be talking.

jochhejaam
01-07-2006, 11:41 AM
jokejam, you support a bloody war that killed thousnads of people, and based on Lies, You shouldn't be talking.
I figured you'd avoid the post as it might pertain to you.

Being a Christian, as you say you are, is great but if the way you talk doesn't line up with the life of the One you're supposed to be imitating then you're probably doing more harm than good for Christ. I mean who'd be impressed or interested in converting to Christianity by observing a "Christian" engaging in vulgar name calling? We who call ourselves Christians should be able to say, as Paul did, "follow me as I follow Christ" or at least say forgive me for I fall so far short of His example that I'm barely worthy of calling myself a Christian at this point in my walk with Christ.

And thus ends my sermon for today, Amen.

Oh yeah, the thread topic, Go Lynn, Go! :lol

SA210
01-07-2006, 12:45 PM
jokejam, again, you support a bloody war that killed thousands of people, and based on Lies.

Dos
01-07-2006, 05:35 PM
war never kills people.. wow that's a new one on me...

Dos
01-07-2006, 05:38 PM
yes 911 showed us what a few terrorist with a few box cutters can do with a airplane full of innocent people.... Instant WMD... I am glad we are taking them out there.. I am glad our govt. is doing all it can to keep us safe... after all.. does Al Qaeda really need civil rights...