PDA

View Full Version : O'Neal's Knee Worse Than Expected.

Pooh
05-30-2004, 07:18 PM
O'Neal's Knee Worse Than Expected.
(but looks to play anyway tonight in game five)

By Mark Montieth
[email protected]
May 30, 2004

Indiana Pacers forward Jermaine O'Neal reported to practice with a swollen left knee today, casting doubt on his effectiveness for tonight's playoff game with Detroit.

O'Neal suffered a hyperextended knee in the first quarter of the Pacers' Game 4 victory at Detroit on Friday, but finished the game. He declared it "not even an issue" on Saturday, but his condition appeared to have worsened by this morning's shootaround at Conseco Fieldhouse.

Coach Rick Carlisle told reporters O'Neal has two bone bruises in the knee, but returned later to amend the diagnosis to one bone bruise. Carlisle said O'Neal probably will have the knee drained before the game, but should play tonight when the Pacers and Pistons meet in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference finals.

Carlisle wasn't sure how the injury would affect O'Neal's play. He finished with 12 points and 13 rebounds in Friday's game, when the Pacers evened the series 2-2.

"He was able to play pretty effectively after he came back into the game (Friday) night but sometimes after a day or two the character of the injury changes," Carlisle said. "He knows this is an unusual opportunity for our team. He's got to be out there one way or the other."

Point guard Jamaal Tinsley missed most of Saturday's practice to have his left leg examined, but participated in today's shootaround. Tinsley has injuries to his ankle, knee and hamstring that aren't likely to completely heal until the offseason.

"I expect it to limit me a lot, but I have to figure a way to get loose and be able to move around out there on the court and put myself in a better situation," he said.

Asked if he could put a percentage on the condition of his leg, he said: "There is no percentage. This ain't a time for percentages. This is a big game for us."

Carlisle said he'll monitor Tinsley's play during the game to determine whether it's best to go with a backup.

"A lot of it will come down to what he tells me during the game," Carlisle said. "There's times he's limping pretty good but he stays out there. It's important he tells me what's going on. If there's a situation he can't go we have to have other guys ready."

Backup point guard Anthony Johnson attended today's shootaround, but sat out with a cold. Tinsley also was sniffling as if he had a cold.

"We've got a lot of things going on here," Carlisle said.

link (http://www.indystar.com/articles/2/151004-8332-094.html)