PDA

View Full Version : He out-quarterbacked last year's...

Yonivore
01-05-2006, 01:52 AM
...Heisman Trophy winner and he out-running-backed this year's Heisman Trophy winner.

Who's your daddy?

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060105/capt.prb17201050559.rose_bowl_football_prb172.jpg

cecil collins
01-05-2006, 02:02 AM
They should change the heisman vote until after the championship game.

RobinsontoDuncan
01-05-2006, 09:31 AM
I hope he doesnt leave for the pros this year, he had said something about comming back earlier but he didn't sound as firm on that last night

SA210
01-05-2006, 09:40 AM
with all the talk about him ....

Oh, Gee!!
01-05-2006, 09:48 AM
great political thread

boutons_
01-05-2006, 10:03 AM
I think he looks a little on the light-weight side for a QB trying to withstand NFL abuse.

Stay another year in UT,
get your degree,
put on some weight,
exploit your fame, and
be an example to encourage (black) kids to get their college degrees
(THAT's political),
rather than grubbing for the $$$
(which only a minuscule %age of black athletes obtain).

xrayzebra
01-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Hey, maybe Vince is a Republican.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31963

is that political enough. Bet those on the left coast think he is worst than that,
and that is saying something.

Oh, Gee!!
01-05-2006, 10:24 AM
I think Xray broke the internet

RobinsontoDuncan
01-05-2006, 11:03 AM
he would if he knew how.

I also think vince looks a little small for the NFL, despite what they kept saying yesterday about his size he doesnt seem that strong to me.

Although Mike Vick is pretty tiny too.

Hook Dem
01-05-2006, 11:19 AM
with all the talk about him ....
You are brainwashed aren't you? :lol

SA210
01-05-2006, 11:22 AM
:lol what the heck are u talkin about, I'm saying there's alot of stuff he'll be listening to since last nights game, u just never know what he's thinking about doing.

boutons_
01-05-2006, 12:09 PM
"6-5 233"

shit! I didn't know his numbers, but yes, although he certainly doesn't look 233 lbs, esp in his thin, long legs, his are certainly NFL QB dimensions. Amazing.

Stay in school anyway. :)

Extra Stout
01-05-2006, 02:45 PM
I also think vince looks a little small for the NFL, despite what they kept saying yesterday about his size he doesnt seem that strong to me.

Although Mike Vick is pretty tiny too.
Tim Duncan looks a little small for the NBA. Despite what they say about his size, he doesn't look that strong to me.

Although Chris Webber is pretty tiny too.

Oh, Gee!!
01-05-2006, 02:56 PM
why are you so contrary, ES?

Ocotillo
01-05-2006, 03:18 PM
great political thread

Hey! It's one of the few times I have agreed with him, let it be.

Oh, Gee!!
01-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Hey! It's one of the few times I have agreed with him, let it be.

Yonivore is a dude? OMG, I always thought Yoni was a chick. I'm gonna be sick.

SpursWoman
01-05-2006, 04:04 PM
Yoni = pussy:carni = meat:herbi = vegetation

'vore = eater

If Yonivore were female, *she'd* be a gay one ... or at least bi. :fro

ChumpDumper
01-05-2006, 04:07 PM
If that's true, weird screen name for a born-again. But there do seem to be some similarities between him and Zak.

Extra Stout
01-05-2006, 04:12 PM
why are you so contrary, ES?
I misplaced my ruth.

Oh, Gee!!
01-05-2006, 04:18 PM

I'll accept this answer. I'm pretty sure Yoni is female.

xrayzebra
01-05-2006, 05:19 PM
Somewhere I got left out of the loop. :lol
Quaterbacks, politics, gender.........

Oh, Gee!!
01-05-2006, 05:29 PM
Somewhere I got left out of the loop.

that would be, what is 1956?

xrayzebra
01-05-2006, 06:50 PM
that would be, what is 1956?

Yeah, I guess, well maybe, heck I don't know. I just pay the bills. :rolleyes

ChumpDumper
01-05-2006, 06:52 PM
It would be funnier if he spelled it Yannivore.

Yonivore
01-05-2006, 09:35 PM
If that's true, weird screen name for a born-again. But there do seem to be some similarities between him and Zak.
There's a history there.

Yonivore
01-06-2006, 12:44 AM
As I always say...whatever works for you, SW. ;)

boutons_
01-06-2006, 03:27 AM
January 6, 2006

Market Is Buzzing. Will Young Cash In?
By JOE LAPOINTE

LOS ANGELES, Jan. 5 - The fork in the road faces quarterback Vince Young like the horns on a steer. Two promising paths lay before him, along with one difficult decision.

Should Young return to Texas next season as a senior and try to win the Heisman Trophy while hoping to lead the Longhorns to a second consecutive national championship?

Or should he enter the National Football League draft this year to capitalize on his dramatically enhanced value after a magnificent performance in Texas' 41-38 victory over Southern California in the Rose Bowl on Wednesday night?

"He's not going to make some foolish statement today just to make everybody shut up," Texas Coach Mack Brown said Thursday morning, with Young by his side, at a news conference in a hotel ballroom. "So, shut up!"

The remark drew laughter as participants took turns analyzing and praising Young's impressive play. He gained 200 yards rushing on 19 carries and completed 30 of 40 passes for 267 yards and no interceptions.

His final play was a run for a 2-point conversion after his third rushing touchdown of the night, an 8-yard carry with 19 seconds remaining that put Texas ahead for good. Young outplayed Reggie Bush, the Trojans' junior tailback who won the Heisman last month and who could be the top pick in the N.F.L. draft.

Young, at 6 feet 5 inches and 233 pounds, demonstrated the sort of skill and poise that have made stars of professional quarterbacks like Donovan McNabb and Michael Vick. Young made witnesses wonder whether he, instead of U.S.C.'s Matt Leinart, last season's Heisman winner, would be the first quarterback picked in the N.F.L. draft.

Around the N.F.L. on Thursday, Young was the topic on many tongues even as teams prepared for the playoffs. Byron Leftwich, Jacksonville's quarterback, was asked whether Young was ready to turn professional.

"That's a crazy question," Leftwich said. "That man was in a league of his own out there. What he did, if he's not ready, nobody else is. That's what an elite athlete looks like. That was special."

But Joe Theismann, the former N.F.L. quarterback turned television football analyst, said it would be "a big mistake" if Young decided to turn pro this year because he "throws the ball a little bit low," in a sidearm motion.

Theismann also said that even the most talented rookies struggled. "And if you come in as a running quarterback, I think you have a greater challenge," he said.

Young said he would discuss his choice with his family and his coaches. Brown said Young had until Jan. 15 to decide. "He could be around the first or second pick in the draft and make millions of dollars the next day," Brown said.

After the game, and on Thursday morning, Young spoke repeatedly of his family, his coaches, his teammates and God. He said bluntly that he was fortunate to escape what he called a ghetto life in Houston.

Young said he almost cried on the field after the final touchdown, and he finally shed tears several hours after the game while standing on the balcony outside his hotel room. He was contemplating his past and his current circumstances.

Except he was not exactly by himself. Young said he had what he called "my little words with the man upstairs." He added: "I know that my future is really blessed right now. I haven't made my decision yet."

It is not as if Young was a secret until now. In last year's Rose Bowl, he burst into the national football consciousness as the most valuable player in a victory over Michigan. This season, he finished second to Bush in Heisman balloting.

But Young was remarkable Wednesday night for his grace and poise under pressure. He exuded calm confidence and respect for the moment. When he scored the winning touchdown, he seemed to slow down as he crossed the goal line and eschewed the celebratory histrionics so prevalent among others in similar circumstances.

The Trojans, who failed to defend their national title and saw their winning streak end at 34 games, offered uncommon praise for Young.

Leinart called Young "a freakish athlete."

"He's so big and strong, and yet he's fast," Leinart said. "And it's not that he's so fast, but he's shifty."

U.S.C. Coach Pete Carroll said Young probably made the Trojans miss a dozen tackles. "We slipped right off the guy," Carroll said.

In a news conference after the game, Young sat at a raised table wearing a cap and T-shirt recognizing the championship. A small silver football helmet hung on a silver chain around his neck.

Above the table, his facial expression remained fixed and serious; his torso rarely moved. But beneath the table, where his white football pants showed stains of grass and blood, his right leg bounced in a way that caused the stand below him to vibrate.

Young's hands were clenched in fists he would push together, knuckles to knuckles, beneath the table, out of camera view. Then he would open them and entwine the fingers of both hands into a large, tight ball. He said he did not know the origins of the drops of blood. "It's a war field out there," Young said.

He mentioned, in passing, that his team did not get enough respect before the game ("U.S.C. this, U.S.C. that"), but he played down the disappointment he expressed last month about losing the Heisman to Bush.

He spoke of how the Longhorns had danced to music in the locker room before the game, and he referred to his footwork on the field as a Texas two-step. At the end of the game, the players joined the band and the fans to sing "The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You."

On Thursday, Young seemed to understand that many more eyes were looking his way.

Clifton Brown and David Picker contributed reporting for this article.

# Copyright 2006The New York Times Company

Yonivore
01-06-2006, 09:21 PM
I think he's gone.

No sense in risking a career-ending injury for a trophy when there's tens of millions of dollars waiting on you.

Besides, I think everyone -- even Reggie Bush -- knows who the Heisman winner is this year. In fact, I think we may eventually see college players vying for the "Young Trophy."

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060105/capt.prb17201050559.rose_bowl_football_prb172.jpg