PDA

View Full Version : No slowing down Nesterovic as Spurs beat Blazers- Article

angel_luv
01-05-2006, 10:19 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA010506.1C.BKNspurs.blazers.gamer.179be041.html

Web Posted: 01/05/2006 12:09 AM CST
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

Forty-five minutes before the Spurs' game against Portland at the SBC Center on Wednesday night, Slovenian-born Rasho Nesterovic was in the locker room, alone with his thoughts.

None of them had anything to do with the Rose Bowl, which was nearing kickoff.

"Would I be watching (the Rose Bowl) if I wasn't playing tonight?" Nesterovic said to a locker-room visitor. "No, I don't think so."

A fairly large percentage of the fans who showed up to watch the best and worst teams in the Western Conference play each other had mixed loyalties, though. The Spurs won 106-75 while many people were busy tracking the Texas-USC game via cell phone, radio, TVs in the concourses, or the occasional update from PA announcer Stan Kelly.

It was clear from the start that Nesterovic was entirely focused on the task at hand.

Making all four of his shots in the first 6 minutes, 15 seconds, Nesterovic helped the Spurs get off to a quick start that ultimately resulted in a ho-hum victory that afforded a big percentage of attendees the chance to leave early enough to reach home in time to catch the bulk of the second half of the Rose Bowl.

Even coach Gregg Popovich got into the spirit of a night when one of the Spurs' 82 regular-season games seemed to lack a measure of immediacy.

"The most important thing that happened tonight is that Texas just scored," Popovich told reporters not long after Vince Young scored in the third quarter to give the Longhorns a 22-17 lead. "The second-best thing is that we got a great performance out of a lot of people."

When the basketball game turned into a blowout in the second half — the final margin was the largest of the season for the Spurs — Popovich got to limit his starters' playing time. No Spur played more than 33:15, and 10 logged at least 16:08.

"I guess the only bad thing was that I wanted to play Manu (Ginobili) a little more, so that he can get in better shape for the weekend games," Popovich said, "but it just didn't work out that way."

Ginobili has not played more than 25 minutes in any of his four games since returning from a sprained right foot. But on a night when the Spurs' centers formed a potent combination, that was an acceptable compromise.

Nesterovic made his contributions early. He entered the game averaging only 5.7 points, but by halftime he already had matched his season high with 12 points.

Four of his buckets came off passes from Tony Parker, who recognized the Trail Blazers were focused on keeping Tim Duncan from getting touches in the low post and that Trail Blazers center Joel Przybilla was leaving Nesterovic each time the Spurs' point guard made a move towards the rim.

"When I was watching tape of their games," Parker said, "I was seeing that Przybilla loved to block shots. He's jumping at everything. So, early in the game I was trying to get Rasho because I knew he would be open. I was trying to make sure I got him some easy baskets to get his confidence gong. He played great tonight."

Duncan was happy to defer to his low-post mate, and once the Blazers figured out Nesterovic is nearly unstoppable from 2 feet, and in, they had to give Duncan a little more room to operate. As a result, he scored nine points in the second period. By halftime he and Nesterovic had combined for 27 points, more than half the Spurs' halftime total of 53.

Nesterovic played only two minutes in the second half before picking up his third personal foul, and when Nazr Mohammed replaced him and got on his own scoring and rebounding tear, Nesterovic never got back in the game. By game's end, the two centers had combined for 23 points and 14 rebounds, and Nesterovic was content with his role.

Duncan, 6 for 15 from the field, was not as efficient as either of the Spurs' centers, who combined to miss only two of 13 shots. He was happy he did not need to produce one of his dominating performances.

"They were great, awesome," Duncan said. "Rasho started out early, being great in the paint and finishing plays. Nazr did a great job offensive rebounding and giving us second shots. That was a big emphasis for us this last week, and I thought we kind of made a statement there."

Oh, Gee!!
01-05-2006, 10:25 AM
Rasho showing no love for UT. Now I really hate him.

boutons_
01-05-2006, 10:28 AM
It's so weird how Rasho has been having great first qtrs, even great first halves of first qtrs, and then disappears.

We know he can do it, but does he know he has permission to do it ALL FRICKING GAME? :)

The combined stats for Razr Mohammovic are fantastic.

Let's see them do it in a big game @PHX Sat night.

1Parker1
01-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Go Rasho! If he and Nazr can play like they did yesterday more consistently, Spurs would be in great shape.

1Parker1
01-05-2006, 10:30 AM

:lol

angel_luv
01-05-2006, 10:30 AM
Made all four of his shots in the first 6 minutes, 15 seconds,

:elephant

"The most important thing that happened tonight is that Texas just scored," Popovich told reporters not long after Vince Young scored in the third quarter to give the Longhorns a 22-17 lead.

:lol :lol

once the Blazers figured out Nesterovic is nearly unstoppable from 2 feet, and in

Was there really no other way to phrase that? :rolleyes

"They were great, awesome," Duncan said. "Rasho started out early, being great in the paint and finishing plays. Nazr did a great job offensive rebounding and giving us second shots. That was a big emphasis for us this last week, and I thought we kind of made a statement there."

:D

SLOVENIAN 8
01-05-2006, 10:52 AM
He played only first half??? :depressed

he should play in second too, he would score a season high....

angel_luv
01-05-2006, 10:54 AM
He played only first half??? :depressed

he should play in second too, he would score a season high....

The kid did good! ;) :lol

mikejones99
01-05-2006, 10:54 AM
Rasho knows more about soccer and hockey I think. If Denver is world champions, then Rasho will care more.

angel_luv
01-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Rasho knows more about soccer and hockey I think. If Denver is world champions, then Rasho will care more.

Hockey? Really?

SLOVENIAN 8
01-05-2006, 10:58 AM
The kid did good! ;) :lol

Ofcourse he did :spin

But he could play more time...

Man i cant find picture where i am with Rasho on from last summer , damit i must look some CD`s.
I have only printed picture....

T Park
01-05-2006, 10:58 AM
Do it against Minnesota or Phoenix, and Ill be happy,

Till then, not good enough to do it against teams were Fabricio Oberto is made to look good.

angel_luv
01-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Ofcourse he did :spin

But he could play more time...

If I was coach... :lol

Man i cant find picture where i am with Rasho on from last summer , damit i must look some CD`s.
I have only printed picture....

Can you scan it? I want to see! :)

angel_luv
01-05-2006, 11:01 AM
Do it against Minnesota or Phoenix, and Ill be happy,

Till then, not good enough to do it against teams were Fabricio Oberto is made to look good.

Oh he will! But not to make you happy. Just cause he can! :lol

SLOVENIAN 8
01-05-2006, 11:27 AM
In this topic are pictures that i made them, but first picture was where i pictured with him, but cant find the pic, becouse i did not post it there....

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20781&page=1&pp=26

angel_luv
01-05-2006, 11:34 AM
In this topic are pictures that i made them, but first picture was where i pictured with him, but cant find the pic, becouse i did not post it there....

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20781&page=1&pp=26

Hvala! :elephant That is so awesome! How did I miss that thread! Must have been before I had home internet.

SLOVENIAN 8
01-05-2006, 11:38 AM
Hvala! :elephant That is so awesome! How did I miss that thread! Must have been before I had home internet.
lol :lol :lol :lol

i was in 3rd row, almost on court :spin :lol

CubanMustGo
01-05-2006, 11:38 AM
once the Blazers figured out Nesterovic is nearly unstoppable from 2 feet, and in

Was there really no other way to phrase that? :rolleyes

Hey, it's worked for Shaq all these years ...

angel_luv
01-05-2006, 11:49 AM
lol :lol :lol :lol

i was in 3rd row, almost on court :spin :lol

Wow!!!!!!! You are :king

angel_luv
01-05-2006, 11:50 AM
Hey, it's worked for Shaq all these years ...

:lol I guess...

Solid D
01-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Rasho has really stepped up his game again. He's dunking more and playing more aggressively, which we all know is huge for him. As you all know soft, powderpuff play has been a major complaint in here about him.

He is overcoming his natural Slovenian tendencies where, this time of year, "soft powder" is a desired condition. :smokin

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060105/thumb.zag10101051645.croatia_world_cup_alpine_skii ng_zag101.jpg

Slo spurs fan
01-05-2006, 12:01 PM
He is overcoming his natural Slovenian tendencies where, this time of year, "soft powder" is a desired condition. :smokin

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060105/thumb.zag10101051645.croatia_world_cup_alpine_skii ng_zag101.jpg

:lol Solid D, you rocks

SLOVENIAN 8
01-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Rasho has really stepped up his game again. He's dunking more and playing more aggressively, which we all know is huge for him. As you all know soft, powderpuff play has been a major complaint in here about him.

Yes we really have a lot of soft powder right now. It is snowing all the time :spin

Dario
01-05-2006, 12:33 PM
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...

angel_luv
01-05-2006, 02:52 PM

ShoogarBear
01-05-2006, 03:11 PM
once the Blazers figured out Nesterovic is nearly unstoppable from 2 feet, and in, they had to give Duncan a little more room to operate.

Dre_7
01-05-2006, 09:58 PM

:lmao

Brilliant!

RashoFan
01-06-2006, 05:13 AM
Rasho showing no love for UT. Now I really hate him.
Perhaps Rasho is a fan of the AGGIES!!!! :elephant (Like me)...but respect to UT, that last UT play was awesome!!!

angel_luv
01-06-2006, 11:20 AM
Perhaps Rasho is a fan of the AGGIES!!!! :elephant (Like me)...but respect to UT, that last UT play was awesome!!!

I didn't think most Europeans were into American football.

boutons_
01-06-2006, 11:36 AM
"Europeans were into American football"

There's has been a following of NFL by people in the UK, and there are US pro football teams, a league, in some European cities, but of course, US football will always be marginal interest compared to the "soccer/futbol" religion. US-style football will probably never get past even rugby in European rugby countries.