PDA

View Full Version : The "Block" Gives Pistons a 72-67 Win Over Pacers.

Pooh
05-25-2004, 10:28 PM
By Johnnie Clay - Pacers Insider.
May 25, 2004 - 8:30 PM.

"We’ll stick together, show up, and get a game back in their place." - Pacers' Coach Rick Carlisle.

They say defense wins championships. If that's the case, then welcome to 2004 NBA Finals.

The Indiana Pacers and Detroit Pistons put on a defensive clinic Monday night as both teams combined for 26 block shots. But it was one block in particular that was the difference maker in the Pistons dramatic 72-67 victory.

With time running out, the Pistons clung to a 69-67 lead with under 40 seconds left.

Then came the block.

Jermaine O'Neal blocked a Rasheed Wallace shot, while Chauncey Billups lost control of the ball for a turnover. Jamaal Tinsley stole the ball and tossed it down to a wide open Reggie Miller who appeared on his way to a game-tying layup by. As Reggie prepaired for the almost certain basket, Tayshaun Prince sprinted downcourt, timed the shot perfectly and swatted it away just as Miller released it. Richard Hamilton grabbed the rebound and was immediately fouled by Jamaal Tinsley, who made both free throws.

"We got the steal and I thought I got the ball on the glass. I haven’t seen a replay yet but he made a good block. I saw him coming in my rearview mirror and I should have dunked the ball but I didn’t and he didn’t foul." Miller said afterwards.

The resulting block, will go down as one of the greatest in NBA history. It also tied up the Eastern Conference Series now at 1-1, as scene now shifts to the Palace in Auburn Hills Wednesday night.

Once again, both teams shot horribly from the field. The Pacers jumped out quickly to 15-6 lead as the Pistons were ice cold, missing 13 of its' first 15 shots. Then it was the Pacers' turn to go cold as both teams combined for an eye-popping 29 total points at the end of the first quarter, 17-12.

As the second quarter began, the Pistons began to click. A 16-5 run gave the Pistons the lead for the first time, 22-20. The game then went back and forth until a late surge by the Pacers gave them a 43-37 going into halftime.

Turnovers, which was a key to the Pacers victory in game one, came back to bite them in game two. The Pacers fans looked on as their team committed six turnovers in the quarter, while the Pistons continued to catch up and play tough defense. The Pacers slim six point lead was evaporated quickly in the opening minutes as the Pistons went on a 14-6 run to take the lead, 51-49.

In the fourth quarter, the Pacers made another push, taking the lead back at 58-55, but it would be their last as the Pistons once again went on a 10-1 run. The Pacers could only get as close as two points the rest of the way.

What made the game so frustrating was the poor shooting on the Pacers, along with their key players such as Ron Artest (who eventually fouled out and showed his frustration by "flipping off" the crowd) and Jamaal Tinsley, who three early fouls had Carlisle using his bench early than expected.

“It was certainly tough out there. Early fouls prohibited us from getting going offensively. Our shot making was stagnant at time, more than stagnant at times yet we hung in the game and gave ourselves a chance." Carlisle said.

"They were much more aggressive tonight." Reggie Miller said. "They had 19 blocks and the two Wallace’s controlled the lane. We didn’t move the ball in the second half. With only eight assists, that shows that when their defense collapsed we didn’t make the extra pass."

The Pacers shot 28% (22- 80) from the floor, 15% (3-20) from the arc and 83% (20-24) from the free-throw line. They did manage however to out-rebound Detroit 51-42, but made more than twice as many turnovers (17) as assists (8) . Reggie Miller led the Pacers with 21 points, going a perfect 10-10 from the free-throw line. Jermaine O'Neal once again struggled from the field, going (6-18) scored 16 with 8 rebounds and 2 blocks. Ron Artest scored 13 points on (5-21) shooting with 7 rebounds before fouling out.

The Pistons didn't do much better fromt he floor, shooting 35% (23-66) 40% (2-5) from the arc and 71% (24-34) from the free-throw line. Richard Hamilton led Pistons once again with 23 points, 8 rebounds and 3 assists. Rasheed Wallace, whose bold prediction held up barely, was the only other Pistons player in double-figures with 10 points, although he was (4-19) from the field. Wallace also added 8 rebounds and 5 blocks. Ben Wallace played just 29 minutes due to first-half foul trouble and had 8 rebounds and 4 blocks. Tayshaun Prince had 4 blocks and Elden Campbell had 3.

The series now moves to the Palace at Auburn Hills for games three and four. The last time the two teams met there back on April 4th, the Pistons handed the Pacers their worst loss of the season, a 79-61 thumping. This time however, the Pacers are looking to do what the Pistons just did to them on their homecourt...win one.

Perhaps Jermaine O'Neal said it best. "We win as a team and we lose as a team. We’ll see you guys in Detroit.”

Game time is at 8pm (EDT).

SAmikeyp
05-26-2004, 12:16 AM
very nice Pooh.

Pooh
05-26-2004, 12:21 AM
Thanks