PDA

View Full Version : Do the Wolves still hold Sprewell's rights?

Kori Ellis
01-05-2006, 02:05 PM
I thought Spree was an unrestricted free agent this summer and no one picked him up. But lately, national writers are saying otherwise.

Last week, from Chris Sheridan ...

Trade asset: Still have the rights to Latrell Sprewell, who could be dealt in a sign-and-trade deal. Indiana has interest.

Today from Chad Ford ...

Josh Meyer (Fort Dodge) IA: Any chance of my Wolves dealing Spree in a sign and trade to the Clips for Wilcox?

FPRIVATE "TYPE=PICT;ALT=SportsNation" Chad Ford: That's wishful thinking ... I don't think anyone would give up anything to add Spree at this point. Chris Wilcox, however, remains one of the most attractive trade pieces out there. He's young, big and athletic and doesn't get much burn in LA. Part of that is because he's behind Elton Brand who should be playing all the minutes. But part of it is that head coach Mike Dunleavy's never thought Wilcox is a smart enough player for his system. In a run and gun offense (like say NJ or Phoenix), he could be really good.

So what's the deal? SolidD, ChumpDumper, anyone?

Kori Ellis
01-05-2006, 02:07 PM
So does this mean they still have his Bird Rights? Is that what they are talking about?

ChumpDumper
01-05-2006, 02:19 PM
No one else picked him up, so the Wolves could retain the rights to him since they were already over the cap and didn't need to renounce those rights. That helps to explain why Spree is holding out for more than the minimum.

Kori Ellis
01-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Okay, another question. Several places list it as the Spurs are still paying Romain Sato. Is that possible??

ChumpDumper
01-05-2006, 02:44 PM
It is possible, but only if his salary was guaranteed through this season (minimum salary contracts can be longer than one season). Everything I read said it wasn't, though I do remember its being multi-year.

Kori Ellis
01-05-2006, 03:05 PM
His deal was 3 years but I thought only the first year was guaranteed.

If they are still paying him, that explains why Lance Blanks isn't here. Sato was his "find".

ChumpDumper
01-05-2006, 03:15 PM
His deal was 3 years but I thought only the first year was guaranteed.That was my understanding since he was here until late February.

Phenomanul
01-05-2006, 04:47 PM
His deal was 3 years but I thought only the first year was guaranteed.

If they are still paying him, that explains why Lance Blanks isn't here. Sato was his "find".

Would Pop go into CIA-Pop mode if you asked him that??? :spin

grjr
01-05-2006, 06:33 PM

Well, that.....and everything else. :elephant