PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Manu mystique is rubbing off

Manu20
01-05-2006, 02:33 PM
Spurs notebook: Manu mystique is rubbing off
Web Posted: 01/05/2006 12:09 AM CST

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA010506.8C.BKNspurs.notebook.17fc3592.html

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

Apparently, if you hang around Manu Ginobili long enough, even a 7-foot center can make an improbable, spinning move.

Spurs' backup center Nazr Mohammed never has been called a creative shot-maker, but the spinning, reverse layup he banked in the basket with 6:15 left in the Spurs' 106-75 victory over the Portland Trail Blazers at the SBC Center on Wednesday qualified as Ginobili-esque.

You had to see it to believe it was Mohammed making it.

"I couldn't even tell you where that came from," Mohammed said. "It's one of those moves that just kind of comes out of you. It just happens. I caught the pass and couldn't get it off from the same side, so I just went to the other side and banked it up there.

"It's not something I've ever practiced," Mohammed said. "That's more a Manu type of move, flipping it up off the glass like that. You hang around Manu long enough, you pick up things like that."

Mohammed didn't enter the game until starting center Rasho Nesterovic picked up his third foul midway through the third period. In 18:25 thereafter, he scored 11 points and grabbed nine rebounds.

"I just wanted to go out and follow the game plan: Try to play some defense and hit the glass."

Spurs fine with roster: NBA teams can begin signing players to 10-day contracts today, but the Spurs won't be making any personnel moves.

Though the Spurs are carrying only 13 players on their roster, two below the number the league allows, general manager R.C. Buford said the club is content for now.
"We would only look to add players if a need arose," Buford said.

In addition to being happy with their 13 players, there are economic considerations that affect the team's reluctance to add players. The Spurs' team payroll is just under $63 million, already over the projected luxury tax trigger of $61.7 million that is part of the league's collective bargaining agreement.

That means that for every dollar over the trigger figure, the Spurs would have to pay an additional dollar to the league, to be redistributed to those teams that are under the luxury tax.

Time to teach: The Spurs, who just finished a stretch of nine games in 15 days, play only five games over the next 10 days, four of them at SBC Center. That affords their coaching staff an opportunity to begin putting in more of the team's plays. Coach Gregg Popovich said he has installed "about 60 percent" of the plays thus far this season.

The Spurs practiced Tuesday, their first full practice in nearly two weeks. They can expect to practice on each off day between their three home games next week, beginning with a game Tuesday against the New Jersey Nets.

McMillan saddened: Trail Blazers coach Nate McMillan, who coached the Seattle SuperSonics for five seasons, was saddened by the news his former assistant with the SuperSonics, Bob Weiss, was fired as the Sonics' head coach Tuesday. Weiss replaced McMillan after McMillan left the Sonics to become Blazers' head coach in July.

"I haven't talked to him yet, but I will," McMillan said of Weiss. "That happens. There were some rumors going around that it could happen. Any time a team is not playing to what some people think is their potential, the first thing they look at is the head coach."

McMillan had offered Weiss no advice on taking over his old team, only best wishes.

Another milestone: With his fifth rebound of Wednesday's game, a tip attempt after he missed a short shot with 9:00 remaining in the second quarter, Tim Duncan reached 7,500 rebounds for his career. Duncan is sixth among active players in career rebounds. He is one of only two active players — Shaquille O'Neal is the other — with 13,000 points, 7,000 rebounds and 1,500 blocked shots.

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-05-2006, 02:36 PM
It just happens. I caught the pass and couldn't get it off from the same side, so I just went to the other side and banked it up there.

I think that's the real proof that Manu might be rubbing off on him.

boutons_
01-05-2006, 03:37 PM
"I caught the pass"

hmm, sounds like he wanted to note that point for the press. :)

I think he might agree with us by now that catching the pass is an extremely important first step! :lol

ChumpDumper
01-05-2006, 03:42 PM
That was pretty much the least likely shot I thought I'd ever see from Nazr. He's been pretty good off the bench lately. Whottt should be happy.

1Parker1
01-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Nope, Whott will only be happy when (or I should say IF) Brent Barry steps up his game :lol

ChumpDumper
01-05-2006, 04:25 PM
I suppose he would say Brent is doing great, we just don't realize it because we're stupid.

For the record I think he's doing pretty well given the minutes he plays.

grjr
01-05-2006, 06:30 PM
I seem to remember Nazr pulling off a couple other shots like that this year. I was surprised at them also.

Another milestone: With his fifth rebound of Wednesday's game, a tip attempt after he missed a short shot with 9:00 remaining in the second quarter, Tim Duncan reached 7,500 rebounds for his career.

7,501, 02, 03.. :lol

Solid D
01-05-2006, 06:33 PM
Remember Nazr's backwards "HORSE" shot in the Finals?