PDA

View Full Version : Matsushita shows 103-inch plasma flat TV prototype

Solid D
01-05-2006, 02:38 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/05/news/international/matsushita.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

Matsushita shows 103-inch plasma
Top seller of flat-screen TVs beats Samsung record; gives no indication when item will hit shelves.
January 5, 2006: 8:59 AM EST

TOKYO (Reuters) - Matsushita Electric Industrial, the maker of Panasonic products, said Thursday it had developed a prototype of a 103-inch plasma display panel, the world's largest such screen.

The prototype, which will be on display at the annual Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas from Thursday, appears to put Matsushita slightly ahead of South Korea's Samsung Electronics for bragging rights over who can develop the biggest flat TV.

Samsung grabbed headlines at last year's CES by unveiling a 102-inch plasma display prototype. Neither company has made clear when or if these monster screens will actually reach store shelves or at what price.

Samsung boasts the largest plasma TV now on the market, having started sales of an 80-inch model in South Korea in October for a whopping 130 million won ($130,200).

Matsushita recently began selling a 65-inch plasma set for about 1 million yen ($8,614) in Japan.

Matsushita, the world's top seller of plasma TVs, said the bulk of demand for the 103-inch set would probably come from businesses, schools and medical institutions, but it also saw demand from consumers looking to set up home theatres.

Matsushita said the prototype met full high-definition specifications, meaning it can produce images at the highest standard of 1,920-by-1,080 pixels of resolution.

Developing panels able to display a full high-definition picture has been a major challenge for plasma makers because of numerous hurdles inherent in the technology.

tlongII
01-05-2006, 02:41 PM
LCD > Gas Plasma

SpursWoman
01-05-2006, 02:54 PM
I'd hit it.

With my head as I fainted from the sticker-shock. :wow :wow :wow

Mixability
01-05-2006, 02:56 PM
playing Halo on that would be awesome! :spin

Shelly
01-05-2006, 03:03 PM
I'd hit it.

Damn...I thought you turned into Tlong there for a second!

midgetonadonkey
01-05-2006, 03:06 PM
I want to play Madden on it. Just once before I die.

SA210
01-05-2006, 03:13 PM
I'd watch Heat with DeNiro and Pacino.

Mixability
01-05-2006, 03:15 PM
I want to play Madden on it. Just once before I die.

Fuck once, I'd play till death!

Buddy Holly
01-05-2006, 03:19 PM
LCD > Gas Plasma

Glass > LCD > Gas Plasma

Slomo
01-05-2006, 06:53 PM
LCD > Gas Plasma up to a certain screen size, you are correct, but then LCD screen become to slow so for large screens: Plasma > LCD.

tlongII
01-05-2006, 06:59 PM
up to a certain screen size, you are correct, but then LCD screen become to slow so for large screens: Plasma > LCD.

The technology is being developed for higher-speed LCD larger screens. LCD > Plasma.

tlongII
01-05-2006, 07:02 PM
Comparison Plasma televisions LCD televisions Advantage

Screen Size Screen sizes range from 32 inches to 60 inches. Larger plasmas are in production, but are still prohibitively expensive for consumer use. Sizes range from 13 inches to 45 inches. Larger screens are expected soon, and will likely also be expensive. Plasma TVs are the current size champions. Larger LCD TVs and plasmas are already in development.

Viewing Angle Up to 160° Up to 170° LCD TVs.

Screen Refresh Rates Plasma displays refresh and handle rapid movements in video about as well as CRT televisions. LCD TVs were originally designed for data display, and not video. Therefore refresh rates had to be improved. LCD TVs with refresh rates of 16 ms or lower show very little noticeable artifacts. Slight edge to plasma technology.

Burn-in or Stuck Pixels Plasma TVs can suffer from burn-in produced by static images. After extended periods, stationary images "burn in" and produce an after-image ghost which remains permanently on the screen. With technologies such as 'pixel orbitor,' new plasma TVs have addressed burn-in and significantly reduced the issues of older models. LCD TVs do not suffer from burn-in, but can have a "retained pixel charge" which may also produce ghosting. Stuck pixels are also possible with an LCD display. With the latest plasma technology this would be even. The "pixel orbitor" is automatic and does not require additional efforts by the end-user.

Product Life-span Typical plasma TVs have a life span of 30,000 to 40,000 hours, which equates to at least three years, three months of 24/7 usage before the TV fades to half the original brightness. LCD TVs also have replaceable backlights, but the expense of replacing one when the time comes may be greater than simply replacing the entire TV. LCD TVs lamps will last a bit longer than plasmas, but both are likely to meet general consumer expectations.

Weight Plasma displays are fairly heavy, and may need additional supports to be mounted onto a wall. LCD TVs weigh less than comparably sized plasma TVs. LCD TVs are considerably lighter, more portable, and cheaper to ship.

Durability Plasmas are very fragile making them tricky to ship and install. Unlike the commercials where plasmas are mounted on the ceiling, plasmas are best installed by a professional, and should be installed on a wall that can bear a good deal of weight. Much more durable than plasmas. End users can easily mount an LCD TV themselves if desired. LCD TVs are far less fragile than plasmas.

Shipping Due to their fragile nature, plasma TVs need to be shipped by specialty carriers. Overnight or fast delivery options are not recommended. Special shipping methods and their heavier weight add to higher shipping costs. Shipping LCD TVs is not difficult, and is not as expensive as shipping plasma displays. LCD TVs are lighter and far less fragile than plasma displays making shipping easier and less expensive.

Installation Plasmas are heavier, use more power, and run hotter than LCD TVs, and therefore require more planning when mounting them. Plasmas are generally best installed by professionals. End users can easily install LCD TVs themselves, or can use them just as they use a traditional TV using a stand. LCD TVs are much easier to install than plasma TVs.

Brightness Plasma TVs range from 800-1000 cd/m2, but are measured based on a different standard than LCD TVs. When compared under "real world" circumstances, plasma TVs brightness is typically closer to 100 cd/m2. Measured under the more stringent "real world" standards, LCD TVs average a brightness rating of 500-600 cd/m2. Both LCD and plasma TVs will meet the brightness expectations of most consumers. However, in 'real world' situations with ambient light, LCD TVs will generally look a little brighter.

Thickness As thin as 3 inches deep. As thin as 2 inches deep. LCDs TVs are just a bit thinner.

Performance at High Altitude High altitudes can affect the performance of plasma displays because the gas held inside each pixel is stressed, and has to work harder to perform. Some manufacturers make plasmas that are specifically designed for high-altitudes, but they may be priced higher than standard models. LCD TVs are not affected by high altitudes. LCD TVs.

Contrast Ratios Current plasmas measure contrast ratios of up to 3000:1. However, when compared to LCD TVs in "real world" situations, contrast ratios for plasma TVs drop to approximately 200:1.* LCD TV contrast ratios are measured using "real world" standards. Typical contrast ratios range from 350-450:1. LCD TVs contrast ratios measured in real world situations double typical plasma TVs.

CubanMustGo
01-05-2006, 07:03 PM
LCD > Plasma or Plasma > LCD, either are > my wallet.

Slomo
01-05-2006, 07:17 PM
The technology is being developed for higher-speed LCD larger screens. LCD > Plasma. Technology is being developed all the time - that's what we human do.

On the subject of bigger LCD screen the last big jump was when they increased the number of pixels (HDTV) and not the size of the pixel itself - which you have to do to increase the screen size without changing the resolution of the picture. So LCD screens above 42/50" are not even planned for production yet so until then Plasma>LCD for big screens :p

But within the range that LCD can achieve It's a cheaper and better technology. Actually you can argue all sorts and come to very small differences. But one thing that plasmas have a huge problem with is picture noise (specially in the dark regions of the picture). A good LCD (beware of cheap and nasty LCD TVs) screen has almost no noise - which to the human eye appears as more stable and sharper. Contrast would be my second biggest difference.

Anyway both technology beat the hell out of CRT or back projection systems.

Edit: didn't see your longer before posting mine. Many of the differences mentioned in the article are barely noticeable and most users will never know about them (picture burn vs. pixel lag or the orbiter function).

tlongII
01-05-2006, 07:30 PM
Technology is being developed all the time - that's what we human do.

On the subject of bigger LCD screen the last big jump was when they increased the number of pixels (HDTV) and not the size of the pixel itself - which you have to do to increase the screen size without changing the resolution of the picture. So LCD screens above 42/50" are not even planned for production yet so until then Plasma>LCD for big screens :p

But within the range that LCD can achieve It's a cheaper and better technology. Actually you can argue all sorts and come to very small differences. But one thing that plasmas have a huge problem with is picture noise (specially in the dark regions of the picture). A good LCD (beware of cheap and nasty LCD TVs) screen has almost no noise - which to the human eye appears as more stable and sharper. Contrast would be my second biggest difference.

Anyway both technology beat the hell out of CRT or back projection systems.

Edit: didn't see your longer before posting mine. Many of the differences mentioned in the article are barely noticeable and most users will never know about them (picture burn vs. pixel lag or the orbiter function).

One big difference is durability. LCD is much more durable.

SpursWoman
01-05-2006, 07:32 PM
LCD > Plasma or Plasma > LCD, either are > my wallet.

:tu :lol

SpursWoman
01-05-2006, 07:33 PM
:lol

http://www.whatonearthcatalog.com/graphics/products/regular/AB4501G.jpg

Vashner
01-05-2006, 09:22 PM
Don't forget Moores Law...

Which just entered a new phase with intels new 65nm production runs...

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-05-2006, 09:34 PM
LCD > Gas Plasma

For screens under 32", you're right. Over that, you're wrong.

tw05baller
01-05-2006, 11:07 PM
worthles w/o pics

bigzak25
01-05-2006, 11:10 PM
tv is for sports and comedy.

as long as the reception is good and the beer is cold? i don't care. :tu

Solid D
01-06-2006, 12:13 AM
After reading all the arguments thusfar, I've come to the conclusion that Slomo sounds more convincing. tlong pulls out the durability card...which sounded odd in this setting :)

Vashner
01-06-2006, 12:38 AM
Yea... people cry about wallymart but in the end.. it's that kind of China madness that will have like 50 inch Plasma's for 100 bucks someday...

Solid D
01-06-2006, 07:43 AM
Okay, I looked at a couple of articles on LCD and Plasma technology, and I saw the durability word in there regarding LCD. Philips stated that LCD TVs are known to have a longer lifespan, lasting up to 60,000 hours (versus 30,000 hours for a plasma).

I think if some people watched their TV an average of 10 hours/day, (way too much but let's use an extreme amount that's an easy number for calculations), that would mean 30,000 hours = 3,000 days. That means durability for 8.3 years if you watched it 10 hrs/day.

By the time 8.3 years is up, it might be time for a technology refresh, if you've got the money.