PDA

View Full Version : Spurs stay in step with Finley's role

Kori Ellis
01-06-2006, 08:14 AM
Spurs stay in step with Finley's role

Web Posted: 01/06/2006 12:00 AM CST
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA010606.10D.BKNspurs.finley.1cc1cb63.html

After four consecutive victories, three of them blowouts, and mindful that tonight's game at the SBC Center against Minnesota is the first of two games in two nights in two cities, Spurs' coach Gregg Popovich gave his players a light day of practice Thursday.

By the time reporters were allowed inside the team's practice facility, only two players remained on the court. Tony Parker was working with shooting coach Chip Engelland, polishing the new form Engelland has applied to his jumper.

Michael Finley, whose shooting form needs no doctoring, was working on his long-distance jumpers, too.

Three months shy of his 33rd birthday, and into his 11th NBA season, Finley still believes he needs to work harder than anyone else.

"I feel like I have to do that extra work," said Finley, projected to make his 13th consecutive start when tonight's game tips off. "In the games, or practice, you don't get a lot of time to work on your game. You have to take that individual time on your own, so when the game situations come around you feel prepared. That's all there is to it. I just like to get up a lot of extra shots in practice, just so I won't feel like I've missed a step."

Eventually, Manu Ginobili's conditioning will be entirely back to normal after eight games, and two weeks, on the inactive list with a sprained right foot. At that point, Popovich is going to have to make a decision about returning Ginobili to his shooting guard spot in the starting lineup, with Finley going back to a bench role. But Finley is making it easy for Popovich to ease Ginobili back towards 30-plus minutes per game, and a little harder to decide when it is best to go back to the starting lineup that opened the season, because Finley has been productive in the starting role.

The Spurs are 9-3 in Finley's 12 starts, and he has become more comfortable with his role, as well as the Spurs' systems of offense and defense.

When the time comes to go back to the bench, Finley insists it will be no problem. He arrived in San Antonio in August with only one real goal: To fit in on a team that had just won a championship. He knew when he chose the Spurs from among several good teams that wanted to sign him — the Timberwolves asked former MVP power forward Kevin Garnett to help them make their pitch — that Ginobili was entrenched as the starting shooting guard and his role would be as his backup.

The reputation the Spurs' organization has gained among players was a big factor in Finley's decision to sign in San Antonio. Reality, he said, has exceeded reputation.

"Before I got here everything was word of mouth," he said. "People told me about the organization and the players. But to witness it, hands-on, it has been everything it's been cracked up to be. The coaching staff has been great. They've taken me under their wing and have tried to help me with some of my weaknesses and put me in positions where I can prosper. My teammates have welcomed me with open arms, considering all our battles over the years.

"From all aspects, it has been great."

Finley said he was surprised by only one thing: the Spurs' relative youth.

"Look at the core of this team: Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili. Those guys are all mid-to-late 20s. That's the peak of a guy's career. At this point in their careers, all three of those guys are trying to get better, still trying to find their games. From that standpoint, for me to come in here, and hit them at that point, I'm probably witness to some of the best basketball of their careers."

Finley said he never truly appreciated Duncan's game until he began playing with him. After spending eight seasons in Dallas, most of those under Don Nelson, he has re-discovered what it is like to play on a team with a dominant big man.

"Tim's game is something I find myself admiring when I'm out there with him on the court," Finley said. "This is the first time since my rookie year, when I was with Charles Barkley (in Phoenix), that I've played with a dominant inside force. When he gets the ball inside, he does stuff that makes you just say, 'I'm glad he's on my team.'

"He's just a pleasure to work with and play with, because he commands so much attention. This is the first time in my career I'm getting so many wide-open jump shots. That's a change for me."

Sweetmelody
01-06-2006, 10:30 AM
This article made me smile :)

ChumpDumper
01-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Argentinian troops have been mobilized.

Sweetmelody
01-06-2006, 10:48 AM

:nope

Shit! I temporarily forgot that part of the article, since I really enjoyed reading how he felt about Duncan’s game.

START MANU!!! :)

smeagol
01-06-2006, 11:12 AM
:makemyday :makemyday :makemyday :flipoff :flipoff :flipoff :lol :lol :lol :rollin :rollin :) :)

boutons_
01-06-2006, 11:52 AM
Michael must not to be a defensive liability (so far so good), but above all must get his FG% (a low 41% with the Spurs who have team 48%) up to his career average (45%), which according to his feeling "open" around Tim vs not so open with Mavs, should be within reach, his advancing age permitting. :)

This "Saturday Night's Alright For Scoring" so I expect Michael to show he can have some impact @PHX rather than disappear in big/playoff games.

btw, for all you SJAx lovers, SJax is shooting a little better FG% than Michael (42% vs 41%) (both crappy) but Michael is shooting a better (but still crappy) 3G% than SJax (37% vs 35%). Both can be scorers, but are not efficient scorers.

Of course, Michael's head works a lot better than SJax's. :)

ChumpDumper
01-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Michael must not to be a defensive liability (so far so good), but above all must get his FG% (a low 41% with the Spurs who have team 48%) up to his career average (45%), which according to his feeling "open" around Tim vs not so open with Mavs, should be within reach, his advancing age permitting.As a starter he shoots 44.3%.

dmac
01-06-2006, 12:08 PM
Of course, Michael's head works a lot better than SJax's. :)

you nailed that one!

boutons_
01-06-2006, 12:09 PM
I bet Michael's higher FG %age as starter really correlates more with MPG than starting.

Manu should start because he deserves that honor at this point as a "ring-winning veteran" Spur vs band-wagoner Michael, even if he and Michael end up splitting MPG at 24 MPG each.

Michael needs to learn to shoot better as a Spur with whatever MPG he has.

ChumpDumper
01-06-2006, 12:15 PM
If all Mike needs is six more minutes to shoot better, give them to him.

wildbill2u
01-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Finley is a professional. Like many shooters, he knows the value of constant practice in his professional niche. Gervin used to spend extra hours taking hundreds of shots at practice.

milkyway21
01-06-2006, 08:08 PM
Argentinian troops have been mobilized.:lol :lol :lol

but who really deserves to start Mike or Manu?

one columnist said Pops shld decide which one...

G-day coming soon for Spurs' Popovich
Jan. 6, 2006
By Tony Mejia
CBS SportsLine.com Staff Writer

Steadily, you can see Manu Ginobili rounding into form. We're talking last-year's-playoffs, captivate-the-entire-basketball world form.

It's something that hasn't been seen from him all season. First, a bruised quadriceps in the preseason was the culprit. Following that came a bruised right ankle, a gimpy knee hurt in a collision, and finally a sprained right foot that sidelined him altogether for a few weeks. Bruises and bumps will no doubt be the norm for the game's most chaotic ballerina, but now, his effective play indicates he's back. Over the last three games, he's shooting 16-for-25 (64 percent), averaging more than 16 points in 20 minutes. The Spurs have won every game, looking every bit the machine they were expected to be.

So now, as things unfold, Gregg Popovich has a decision to make: Insert Manu back into the starting lineup or conserve him by keeping him in a reserve role? He also has to factor in the toll heavy minutes might be taking on Michael Finley, who was imported to be a sub and have fresh legs come playoff time, similar to vets Robert Horry and fellow offseason acquisition Nick Van Exel.

They're the arsenal of reinforcements, but because of Ginobili's injuries, Finley has been forced to play nearly 30 minutes per night, a figure that caused the 32-year-old's production to slip last season, particularly during the last two months. :rolleyes

Health and fresh legs down the stretch will be the motivating factor behind Popovich's choice, and it helps that both players will accept their roles regardless of what it is. Of course, that's not going to stop the media questions if Ginobili is kept in a reserve role, not to mention the outcry from Argentinian fans who take the treatment of their boy very seriously. They obsess about his minutes and status and have criticized Pop's choices before, through e-mails and elsewhere, and they didn't agree with the choice of Duncan as last year's Finals MVP.

I'd expect Ginobili to regain his starting gig unceremoniously within the next five games, and ultimately would think Popovich plays him 28-32 minutes a night, conserving him in all but special occasions. Finley will likely get about 18-20 minutes to remain sharp and fresh.

...I'm happy for Finley's contribution for the team but i think it's about time Pops consider easing back Manu into the starting line-up.

T Park
01-06-2006, 09:14 PM
but i think it's about time Pops consider easing back Manu into the starting line-up

im sure hell listen to you and drop everything and do that.

Rummpd
01-06-2006, 11:02 PM
Finley looked great tonight did he not (sarcasm)? It really does not matter as Manu is the one finishing and helping to win games right now.

milkyway21
01-06-2006, 11:11 PM
im sure hell listen to you and drop everything and do that.we win games sometimes bec Manu's spark coming from the bench helped the team...

but, with Finley with only 2 pts tonight(averaging lesser pts vs. Manu as starter), i think Manu shld start. Because what i want is a BIG advantage over opponents at the start of the game, avoiding last minute or 4th qtr collapse and giving the bench (esp Oberto & NVE), more minutes and the starter to rest in the 4th Q.