PDA

View Full Version : Manny Should Like This.

Buddy Holly
01-06-2006, 03:35 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/images/storypics/0105bizfront.jpg

Monte Vista Windows on Main

Web Posted: 01/06/2006 12:00 AM CST

Rosemary Barnes
Express-News Business Writer

The $1 million restoration of three commercial buildings in the Monte Vista Historic District that date to the 1920s is a work of passion for commercial real estate broker-developer Cecilia G. Garcia.

Windows On Main, as the yearlong renovation project is named, reflects Garcia's commitment to bring back the ambiance of an era when residents walked to neighborhood retail centers.

"This is a very special part of the city that is so near and dear to my heart," the 50-year-old Garcia said. "I feel strongly that our older neighborhoods need to be maintained for future generations to enjoy. This is so important to the high quality of life that San Antonio has become known for."

The three buildings on North Main Avenue are slated for completion in February.

Garcia has headed numerous intercity redevelopment projects over the past 17 years through The Priority Group, a commercial real estate services firm she founded and serves as president.

Some of her restoration projects include Shoppers City at Pleasanton Drive and Southwest Military Drive and four downtown buildings owned by the late developer Morris Kallisonand now known as Acequia Plaza.

"I take on projects as if they are mine. They're always 24/7 projects for me," Garcia said. "I don't take on high-profile projects. I like the lower-profile restoration projects. I tell people I'm a developer on a budget. I do most of the designing and manage all of the day-to-day construction."

Garcia, who grew up in Corpus Christi, discovered the appeal of San Antonio's largest historic district when she moved here in 1976 to pursue a degree in architecture at the University of Texas at San Antonio.

She rented a small apartment on Huisache Avenue and began a love affair with the historic neighborhood that has only intensified over the past 30 years.

Two years ago, she learned that the buildings on North Main were in foreclosure and in need of massive renovation. She bought them for an undisclosed sum with plans to restore the retail strip.

The Monte Vista Historical Association, which oversees all construction in the 100-block area, was pleasantly surprised by Garcia's interest in restoring North Main, association President Roy Stewart said.

The association had targeted the retail area as a major restoration project in 2002, paying local architect Don McDonald $8,000 to draft plans for the project.

The group was planning to apply for grants to pay for the restoration when internal politics prompted several of its directors to resign, Stewart said.

Caught up in a political controversy, the association was unable to focus on the project, he said. Then Garcia appeared on the scene.

"It was serendipitous," Stewart said. "We were absolutely delighted that she wanted to restore these buildings that had not been maintained for some 20 years. Her vision for Monte Vista is a mirror image of the association's."

In addition to completely restoring approximately 8,000 square feet of space from 2500 to 2554 N. Main Ave., Garcia has recruited a couple of new well-known local retail tenants, including Cardwell Kitchen and Bath Cabinetry and Justin's On Main, a coffee shop version of Justin's Ice Cream Co., which recently lost its River Walk location to a new Saltgrass Steak House.

They'll join the popular Italian restaurant Capparelli's On Main, which has been on the block that stretches from East Mistletoe Avenue to East Woodlawn Avenue since 2001.

About 6,000 square feet of space on the block hasn't been leased. Garcia has considered numerous offers from retailers wanting to locate there, but she's rejected the majority of the proposals.

"I'm willing to wait to get the right mix along here," Garcia said. "There's limited parking here, and we can't accommodate another restaurant. I'll know the right tenants when they come along."

For more than 21 years, On Main and the Sweet Life, both owned by business partners Bill Davis and Oscar Camacho, were in the center of the block. They closed both stores in 2003 when a previous landlord increased their rent.

They eventually moved their gift shop to 120 E. Mistletoe Ave., which Garcia had renovated for her own offices, and renamed it On Main-Off Main.

"It's a challenge to come into an old neighborhood and restore its retail center, because of the overwhelming competition from the big box stores," Davis said. "But Cecilia has done a remarkable job. She's got the perseverance to make this area a success."

In need of a new office, Garcia purchased the Laurel Heights Pharmacy building at North Main and Mistletoe. She renovated offices in the rear of the pharmacy, where she set up shop.

Garcia no longer lives in Monte Vista, but with her offices there, she feels connected to the neighborhood.

"This is home now," Garcia said. "I love this area and can't imagine moving."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/images/storypics/0105bizfront.jpg