5. Houston, Texas
6. Memphis, Tennessee
7. Long Beach, California
8. El Paso, Texas
9. Kansas City, Missouri
10. Mesa, Arizona
--Source: Men's Fitness Magazine

S.A. is now only #4 in Texas! :elephant <- elephant doing aerobics

Link (http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/diet.fitness/01/06/fittest.city.ap/index.html)

Buddy Holly
01-06-2006, 03:52 PM
That list is full of shit in the first place, but nice to not see San Antonio in the top 10 anymore.

tlongII
01-06-2006, 03:58 PM
I saw San Antonio ranked at #10 among fattest cities in the USA.

The list is not full of shit. Get your ass to the gym!

tlongII
01-06-2006, 04:01 PM

My bad. San Antonio is now ranked #12 among fattest cities.

Vashner
01-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Damn Meth... see how it hurts our ranking?

Buddy Holly
01-06-2006, 04:16 PM

It's not full of shit?

I've already provided the method to which they compile the list.

:lol :lol

Buddy Holly
01-06-2006, 04:24 PM

Portland dropped from 6 to 17th in the list.

Portland's getting a little chubby.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-06-2006, 04:29 PM
Everybody's beautiful. . .in their own way.

easjer
01-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Sigh. Houston is always on the list because of the ratio of fast food joints and taquerias to gyms. That doesn't mean people are fat. It means there are a lot of fast food joints and taquerias.

1Parker1
01-06-2006, 04:54 PM
That's weird, I never would have guessed Chicago would be #1 on that list.

I'm shocked Philly's not on there. You can find a Pizza/Chinese place around here every 5 feet.

1Parker1
01-06-2006, 04:55 PM
Oh wait, I just realized....OPRAH lives in Chicago. :spin :lol

ShoogarBear
01-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Oh wait, I just realized....OPRAH lives in Chicago. :spin :lol

Oh, shit.

Nothing colder than wimmen hatin on each other.

easjer
01-06-2006, 05:02 PM
Amended: I don't mean to say there aren't fat people here (clearly, I live in Houston), but it's a weird/inaccurate matrix they use for a few headlines. Shrug.

tlongII
01-06-2006, 05:05 PM
It's not full of shit?

I've already provided the method to which they compile the list.

Yes, and I already demonstrated why you were full of shit. It is what it is.

Buddy Holly
01-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Yes, and I already demonstrated why you were full of shit. It is what it is.

Ok chubs, whatever makes you sleep better at night.

Extra Stout
01-06-2006, 05:21 PM

The list is not based on how fat people actually are.

It's based upon arbitrary "lifestyle parameters."

Money Magazine once had a likewise fatally flawed study about the best places to live in America. One year, Laredo, Texas was #1. They stopped doing the study after that.

Baltimore's "victory" this year in the Men's Fitness study should be a signal to stop doing it. That's like doing a survey of the greatest rock band of all time and having Cinderella be #1.

Samr
01-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Fat girls are usually a little more friendly. Must be because they're not starving.

Or because they realized they fucked up by eating 3 quarter pounders for breakfast, so they are trying to make up for their extra weight by being extraordinary nice in hopes of getting some.

tlongII
01-06-2006, 05:30 PM
The list is not based on how fat people actually are.

It's based upon arbitrary "lifestyle parameters."

Money Magazine once had a likewise fatally flawed study about the best places to live in America. One year, Laredo, Texas was #1. They stopped doing the study after that.

Baltimore's "victory" this year in the Men's Fitness study should be a signal to stop doing it. That's like doing a survey of the greatest rock band of all time and having Cinderella be #1.

This is true. However, there was a BMI index study done covering 2002 and San Antonio ranked near the top of that list as well.

SpursWoman
01-06-2006, 05:37 PM
Honestly? Who knows ... I know skinny people that eat nothing but fastfood, and I know big people that don't. And there are tons of people that walk or jog in my neighborhood quite regularly and probably don't belong to a gym. The sampling isn't of the actual people, it's the environment....maybe the potential to be the fattest is higher, but that's about it.

I live in SA and I've got a pretty generous ass .... and I've been to NIOSA with my eyes open ... so I'm certainly not going to argue the point one way or the other. :oops :wow :lol

tlongII
01-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Honestly? Who knows ... I know skinny people that eat nothing but fastfood, and I know big people that don't. And there are tons of people that walk or jog in my neighborhood quite regularly and probably don't belong to a gym. The sampling isn't of the actual people, it's the environment....maybe the potential to be the fattest is higher, but that's about it.

I live in SA and I've got a pretty generous ass .... and I've been to NIOSA with my eyes open ... so I'm certainly not going to argue the point one way or the other. :oops :wow :lol

Yes, but the BMI index data is not from environmental sampling. This data is older of course (2002), but I doubt it would have changed significantly in the last 3-4 years.

Spurminator
01-06-2006, 05:47 PM
Los Angeles #3?

Do they have Fat implants too?

SpursWoman
01-06-2006, 05:49 PM
Mike Tyson in his prime had a BMI of around 41 ... which is morbidly obese. When I was working out very heavily, mine was a lot higher than my actual clothing size would suggest because I worked out regularly with weights.

For as extensive as that survey was...we could be a city of body builders just as easily.

Yeah, right. :lol

boutons_
01-06-2006, 05:50 PM
"I've been to NIOSA with my eyes open"

what?

SpursWoman
01-06-2006, 05:52 PM
"I've been to NIOSA with my eyes open"

what?

I've been to Night In Old San Antonio and was not oblivious to the big crowd of big people over-indulging in fattening crap. I didn't realize that was that obscure.

:fro

boutons_
01-06-2006, 05:55 PM
ah, ok.
Damn, I don't need no NIOSA.
Any HEB or Mall is repulsive with rampant, morbid obesity.

I knew what NIOSA was, but didn't catch why it was related to SA obesity.

SpursWoman
01-06-2006, 05:57 PM
True...that was just a very *San Antonio* event that is nothing but fattening food and alcohol, and it was the first thing that popped into my head. At least at HEB you can buy vegetables. :lol

Extra Stout
01-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Yes, but the BMI index data is not from environmental sampling. This data is older of course (2002), but I doubt it would have changed significantly in the last 3-4 years.
The BMI study holds greater validity, at least for a large sample size.

SpursWoman is correct that it doesn't mean anything for individuals because the index does not distinguish between lean muscle mass and fat.

That San Antonio is an obese city is no secret.

E20
01-06-2006, 07:50 PM
Concord CA not even on that list. Wheeeewwww.

N.Y. Johnny
01-06-2006, 08:10 PM
That's weird, I never would have guessed Chicago would be #1 on that list.

I'm shocked Philly's not on there. You can find a Pizza/Chinese place around here every 5 feet.

Don't forget those famous Cheesesteaks...goddamn if that isn't a heart attack in a bag, and they're not the best unless you get them in a paper sack thats bleeding with grease and about to fall apart :lmao