PDA

View Full Version : Make Them Believe!!

Doc Jerome
01-07-2006, 12:32 AM
The Spurs have come to the "Make Them Believe" streatch in the schedule, albeit, somewhat early in the season. Four out of the next 6 opponents are in first place in their respective divisions, and out of the other two; one opponent (Memphis) is on a five game win streak, so confidence will be high and Milwaukee has already defeated the Spurs. They will be looking for the season sweep. If the Spurs come out with W's for this streatch, all will have to submit and believe.

This is an opportunity to take the heart from all challengers as well as serve as a streatch of games that will require the Spurs to go to that higher level of sustained concentration and effort required for their collective resolve to repeat.

I am particularly looking for the game with Detroit and the one afte,r against Memphis to reveal just what kind of team these guys are. Avenge a loss to your main threat to repeating and come back with energy and fire against a confident wannabe with no let downs in performance.

Now that would make even skeptics believe in a repeat. How about you? :fro

TwoHandJam
01-07-2006, 12:53 AM
:tu

Well put.

ShoogarBear
01-07-2006, 12:54 AM
Good points.

T Park
01-07-2006, 12:57 AM
I am particularly looking for the game with Detroit and the one afte,r against Memphis to reveal just what kind of team these guys are

so if they lose to Detroit, we can give up on the season?

ShoogarBear
01-07-2006, 01:02 AM
so if they lose to Detroit, we can give up on the season?You know what's coming, don't you?

RobinsontoDuncan
01-07-2006, 01:07 AM
I was watching them tonight and i was thinking....the fact that the spurs are winning while playing bad basketball, or at least bad by the satndards they usually plan and hold themselves to, means either we should be very happy, because they are showing an ability to dominate while on cruise control, or very nervous, because they lost their edge.

thoughts?

T Park
01-07-2006, 01:09 AM
You know what's coming, don't you?

yeah, but at this point, anyone who keeps bringing it up, shows they are a bigger loser.

So i could care less.

Doc Jerome
01-07-2006, 01:15 AM
so if they lose to Detroit, we can give up on the season?

No, you shouldn't. We will all continue to keep the faith if indeed the Spurs lose to Detroit; however, with the season sweep in hand, we will all be tested if the Pistons and Spurs meet in the finals. :)

T Park
01-07-2006, 01:19 AM
Ok, Ill do that, just because you said so Jerome. :)

Solid D
01-07-2006, 01:27 AM
Don't count on the Spurs winning in PHX. The Spurs are old enough of a team that they lose their legs the last 14 minutes on the 2nd games of a b2b.

In general, though, the Spurs have found their defensive mentality and the new guys have learned how to rotate helpside, how to keep the rope tight on their matchup zone, and even cross-matching well in transition. That's the reason they've taken over as the #1 defensive team in the NBA again, and they've not even reached the 41-game midpoint of the reg. season.

Doc Jerome
01-07-2006, 01:39 AM
....the fact that the spurs are winning while playing bad basketball, or at least bad by the satndards they usually plan and hold themselves to, means either we should be very happy, because they are showing an ability to dominate while on cruise control, or very nervous, because they lost their edge.

thoughts?

Well, . . . I do not like this obvious truth. It has been, IMHO, crutial for a team with aspirations of winning a championship as well as repeating as champions to use the regular season to prepare for the season's ending battles. It is imperative for athletes to go into competition with superior confidence and generally, good health. You don't just turn on that thing that all champions have, you develop it through victories in the regular season and using a detailed, regimented plan of things to work on that prepares your team, making them superior to any other.

This must be done every year, and you can't miss a step/detail. It is still too early to say that the Spurs are skipping a step; but if they lose to Detroit, and the game is another blowout? You tell me if you, or they (Spurs) can go into the NBA Finals against the Pistons as presently constituted and feel as confident about winning as you or they did last year.

That is a fundamental truth about competition and human nature that can't be ignored.
:fro

T Park
01-07-2006, 01:50 AM
Don't count on the Spurs winning in PHX

I dunno.

I got a pretty darn good feelin bout tommarow night.

Warlord23
01-07-2006, 04:20 AM
I dunno.

I got a pretty darn good feelin bout tommarow night.

The key to the Phx game is bench depth. Both teams will be somewhat tired. Phoenix is basically using a 7-man rotation with Nash, Marion, KThomas, Bell, Diaw, Jones, House. And even in the blowout vs Miami, Marion and Diaw played 40 mins each, while Nash played 35 mins.

If Duncan posts up aggressively, he can put their undersized frontcourt (Thomas, Marion, Diaw) into a lot of foul trouble. If they have to go to the bench for Pat Burke, the Spurs'll be in a position of great advantage.

Tomorrow we'll find out how good the Spurs' transition defense is.

Vashner
01-07-2006, 04:26 AM
Wrong..

It's all about the Rings...

Mid season hype means nothing. Playoff position means everything.

Spurs don't care about hype or "make them"...

Respect is earned not forced. Forced respect fades... dedication and pose does not.

boutons_
01-07-2006, 06:36 AM
Everybody knows if you can slow/neutralize Duncan, the Spurs struggle/lose (like vs Wolves).

I bet Mike has the Suns sagging on Tim, and/or doubling him quick.

Can the Suns have 2 super-hot-shooting games B2B?
Can Michael+Tim (6/26) have 2 super-cold-shooting games B2B?

In 40 minutes vs Wolves, our "shooting" guards Michael+Brent score 4 pts.

Dario
01-07-2006, 08:26 AM
Spurs won vs wolves right boutons?

boutons_
01-07-2006, 08:42 AM
Spurs won only the 3rd qtr, tied all the other qtrs, @SBC, against a .500 team.
Not a strong performance at all.

SouthernFried
01-07-2006, 09:04 AM
It's gonna be an interesting game...and series of games. Gonna be fun to watch. But, it's only going to show where the Spurs are today...not in April.

It's also gonna be fun watching what happens on these boards after these games...win or lose.

Doc Jerome
01-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Wrong..

It's all about the Rings...

Mid season hype means nothing. Playoff position means everything.

Spurs don't care about hype or "make them"...

Respect is earned not forced. Forced respect fades... dedication and pose does not.

I concur, it is all about the rings.

A mid season game against your biggest threat to repeating that; by the way, already blew you out in a nationally televised game, and has the best record in the league does mean something.

Playoff position is dependent on wins in the regular season; in this case, homecourt advantage in the finals vs. Detroit is still in reach, but it is contingent on the Spurs winning regular season games.

True, pay no attention to hype; but, "make them believe" is a very real byproduct of winning.

5ToolMan
01-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Spurs won only the 3rd qtr, tied all the other qtrs, @SBC, against a .500 team.
Not a strong performance at all.

That .500 team just dismantled the Mavs, and is a team they almost always play the Spurs close, yet very limited cigars.

While Tim struggled, perhaps you missed that the one quarter he played like Tim, the Spurs rolled to a solid 10 point lead that they never game up.

Other impressive fact was the Spurs defensive rotations and pressure on the perimeter was much better last night except for the first quarter.

Doc Jerome
01-07-2006, 11:43 AM
While Tim struggled, perhaps you missed that the one quarter he played like Tim, the Spurs rolled to a solid 10 point lead that they never game up.

Other impressive fact was the Spurs defensive rotations and pressure on the perimeter was much better last night except for the first quarter.

Good points.

boutons_
01-07-2006, 12:26 PM
The Spurs FG% defense was solid, held the Wolves to 77 (vs 91 PPG), and Spurs actually outrebounded an opponent.

Manu, Tony, and even Bruce were great in trying trying to pick up the offensive slack from Tim and Michael and Rasho, and less than 10 pts from the rest of the bench.

But outshooting the Wolves FG 46% to 39% (large margin) and solid defense, the Spurs only tied every qtr but the 3rd, had a mediocre 4th qtr, and won by just two possessions. The Spurs defense allowed 21 pts in the 4th qtr, as much as the Spurs scored. @SBC

You really have to be a blind believer/homer to call that a strong, fearsome, convinciing Spurs W. But WTF, nobody gives a shit about January. :)

If the Spurs defense was so good, why W by 6 points? Spurs had only 13 AST for 35 FGs, 37%. Spurs AST/FG is 54%. The offense just wasn't clicking.

Mavs L @Wolves as a measure of how "formidable" the Wolves are?
Wolves are a horrible 5-9 on the road, indicating the real weakness of that team.