PDA

View Full Version : 'The NBA Cares' about _____?

Samr
01-07-2006, 12:16 PM
Someone please help me- I cannot figure this out. The NBA has been telling us, trying to convince us, that "The NBA Cares."

You see Tim Duncan on TV reading to little children. As the camera fades away and you get that nice little warm feeling that maybe this commercial wasn't premeditated, Jerry West and a heart appear saying "The NBA Cares."

American Red Cross advertises asking for donations for Hurricane Katrina. Across the screen, "The NBA Cares."

D.A.R.E. commercial. "The NBA Cares."

Trojan condoms. "The NBA Cares."

But despite their constant display of this message, I can't help but think they are not being specific enough. I can't help but think there is something missing from the end. Yes, we know the NBA Cares, but cares about what? Cares about educating little kids? Cares about the rebuilding of New Orleans? Cares about keeping star players off drugs? Cares about making black athletes to look more white?

So maybe you can help me finish this sentence:

The NBA Cares about ________ ?

ALVAREZ6
01-07-2006, 12:17 PM
The NBA Cares about everything

ChumpDumper
01-07-2006, 12:25 PM
The NBA Cares about a positive public image in the eyes of folks with money.

ALVAREZ6
01-07-2006, 12:26 PM
The NBA Cares about a positive public image in the eyes of folks with money.
Pretty much.

It's pretty much just David Stern, the #1 sports influencial figures (or whatever that list was), using his BS.

Samr
01-07-2006, 12:31 PM
The NBA Cares about getting Shaq, Kobe, or Lebron to the Finals no matter what the cost and/or legality.

angel_luv
01-07-2006, 12:35 PM
Even if the NBA had ulterior motives ( and I'm not suggesting it), people who need help are getting it and that's a good thing.

boutons_
The NBA Cares about offsetting the world-wide embarrassment and revulsion of Artest/SJax/JO slugging fans, and

cares about getting more advertizing $$$ from companies selling to non-balla/gangsta/hip-hop demographic.

ChumpDumper
Stern is the man. Would we rather have Bud Selig?

Solid D
01-07-2006, 12:51 PM
The NBA cares like the United Way cares...for all of us, the United Way.

Specifically, though, I heard that KG builds a house a month for the victims of Katrina.

I also think the NBA is pretty specific on its Basketball Without Borders program working with clinics for kids that they talk about on the commercials, i.e. Manu and Andres in Argentina...Dalembert, Parker, Motombo in Africa, etc.

ShoogarBear
01-07-2006, 01:19 PM
The NBA Cares about cutting down on flopping this year.

alamo50
01-07-2006, 06:49 PM
:bling :bling :bling :bling :bling :

"Obviously undaunted by the NBA's threat to fine them for wearing their throwback jerseys, the Magic tonight are promoting "Show Your Stripes Night." The Magic will wear their "lucky pinstripes against the Charlotte Bobcats and are encouraging fans to wear pinstripes in any form to the game. The first 5,000 fans will receive a free "Wake-up and Wear Your Pinstripes" Dodge Alarm Clock and the will have pinstripe face-painting outside the TD Waterhouse Centre . . . The Magic are 4-0 at home when they wear their throwback white pinstripe uniforms. The league has a maximum number of designated nights for teams to wear throwbacks. The Magic will exceed that limit tonight and could be subjected to a fine for exceeding the limit".

Link (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl-mnotes0706jan07,0,1527123.story?coll=orl-magic)

T Park
01-07-2006, 07:45 PM
anyone that hates on David Stern, hasn't a clue about business nor sports period.