PDA

View Full Version : The best continue to wait for their next victim.

Pooh
04-30-2004, 07:37 PM
By JON KRAWCZYNSKI, Associated Press Writer
April 28, 2004

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Indiana Pacers forward Jermaine O'Neal has a rebuttal to those who say having an extended break between playoff series is a good thing.

"I've just realized this week how bad television really is,'' O'Neal said Wednesday after practice. "I have to get back to work.''

After sweeping the Boston Celtics to move into the second round of the playoffs for the first time since 2000, the Pacers are now awaiting their next opponent.

It could be a while. The Pacers will play the winner of the New Orleans-Miami series, and after Hornets tied the series at 2 on Tuesday, that won't be determined until at least Sunday.

That means the Pacers will have to wait at least a week, and possibly as long as 12 days, before playing again.

"The thing we have to fight, since we have a layoff and are coming off four in a row, we just can't have any sort of a letdown in terms of our mental edge and competitive edge and not become a complacent team,'' coach Rick Carlisle said. ``We have to strive this week to get better.''

Carlisle held scrimmages on Wednesday to stoke the competitive fires, and it seems to have worked. Afterwards, several Pacers lightheartedly jawed at each other, bragging about their success or vowing revenge the next time.

"Guys are talking trash and playing hard,'' point guard Anthony Johnson said. "It's fun to talk a little trash and go after it. You don't get to do that too often in the regular season.''

Sixth man Al Harrington said the starters beat the bench players 16-15 in a six-minute scrimmage, but complained that the starters shot 11 free throws in the contest.

"The refs did their job,'' he said with a smile. "If (the starters) didn't win, they weren't going to be allowed back.''

Despite the enthusiasm, it was clear that the Pacers would rather be gearing up for another playoff game.

"I don't want to lose the edge, I don't want to lose the emotions from this team,'' O'Neal said. "Right now, we have a swagger about ourselves. Whoever plays in the game, people feel like they're unstoppable. We can also shut guys down on the defensive end. If you take too much time, sometimes a team loses their edge, loses their emotions.''

The top-seeded Pacers have plenty to lose. They've won nine games in a row, including the four-game steamrolling of the Celtics.

"Get it over with,'' Harrington said when asked about the Hornets-Heat series. "I'd rather play on Tuesday than next Friday.''

Defensive player of the year Ron Artest is one player who isn't worried about the extended break.

When asked if there was a part of him that wished their series with the Celtics would have went to a Game 5, which would have been played Thursday, Artest said, "I'd rather win every game you're in, because you might lose Game 5. The break isn't a problem.''

The Heat and Hornets will play Game 5 on Friday in Miami. Until a winner emerges, the Pacers will be here, looking for things to do to pass the time.

"If anyone's hiring for basketball cameos, I'm available all this week,'' O'Neal said.

travis2
05-01-2004, 12:47 PM
Yes they do. And they get to begin destroying that next victim this Sunday at 2:30 PM at the SBC Center.

Pooh
05-01-2004, 09:18 PM
No...the best (Pacers) are still waiting...while the "second" best start off tomorrow at SBC Center.

SAmikeyp
05-02-2004, 01:16 AM
:lol

Oh, you were serious about that.

:lol

Pooh
05-02-2004, 03:27 AM
Very serious

Rummpd
05-11-2004, 06:12 PM
Had to leave the Spurs forum for a minute and look at the pain of a game three loss on another forum and instead I found a true laugh provoking line.

The Pacers the "best" in the NBA - what is this a friggin joke? Regular season records of Eastern teams are a total inflated sham due the seriously deflated competition, and don't and won't mean a thing come finals time. As Bill Walton said on ESPN before the playoffs, if they played out West and played the big 4-6 4x, 52-53 wins after several Western road trips max = still a very good and getting better team but probably no better than a 5-6 seed, i.e., fighting off Memphis.

Mark it down = Western Champ (Spurs or Lakers) in no more than 5-6 again this year vs. probably the Pistons.

Also don't be surprised if Miami wins the next game and then you got a real series out there. Wade is the real deal.

MadDoc

Pooh
05-11-2004, 06:39 PM
Indy is the best team in the league. Least we didn't roll over like a bitch in heat like the Spurs and Pistons did in their game three loss. We hung in there and fought until the end.

Rummpd
05-12-2004, 12:56 AM
We were beat by an NBA power on a down day, you were beat by a mediocre team. Spurs would sweep Miami.

MadDoc

Pooh
05-12-2004, 06:18 AM
Correction...you were beaten TWICE now. hahahahaha.

SAmikeyp
05-13-2004, 12:02 AM
and now...so have you.

Pooh
05-13-2004, 12:23 AM
Exactly...we're both even.