PDA

View Full Version : a story our Pistons friends might like on picking their entire starters for team USA

Rummpd
01-08-2006, 12:07 AM
I have ragged on the Pistons some but despite tonights loss they are still a formidable team and their fans might like this:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_15623.shtml

Dear Mr. Colangelo - Do It - Select the Whole Pistons Starting Five for Team USA!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Peter Rumm, MD
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Jan 7, 2006, 21:21

About a week ago, I wrote an article (see: http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_15592.shtml) for which, I have taken a lot of heat from loyal Detroit Pistions fans about their 25-4 team's start. In this article, I suggested that it is at least plausible for the San Antonio Spurs (currently at 26-7 but with a history of strong second halfs of the season) to still catch them for the number one seed going into the playoffs, that they won’t most likely win 70 games, and that I still favored the Spurs for the title.

Much of this reasoning was based on the current point differential of about 7.75 PPG that is not in line with former 70 win teams, especially the 96-97 Bulls that won 72 with a 12.2 PPG differential. (John Hollinger of ESPN wrote about this in his part of his prediction that followed mine.)

I stand by those predictions which are pretty much in line with a column on ESPN right now in which the majority of their experts predicted the Spurs for the title 8-4, and none predicted the Pistons winning 70 games – although like myself, the majority of the 12 experts thought it was certainly plausible. (See: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2282744)

That being said, I stand very strongly by some other comments I made that the Pistons are still a great, great team and certainly a very legit threat (to me by far the top current) to the Spurs repeat hopes. They are a motivated and dedicated group of professionals among the best the NBA has to offer.

I also stand strongly by my sentiments that the Pistons have the best starting five in basketball – or at least the most well rounded. All five players are fabulous NBA players, Ben Wallace is a three time defensive player of the year, and Chauncey Billups is my current favorite for the MVP award. Plus unlike, the starting five of the Spurs, which includes Tony Parker of France, Rasho Nesterovic of Slovenia, and when healthy Manu Ginobili of Argentina, all five are from the USA.

Therefore, I have a suggestion for Mr. Jerry Colangelo, the leading executive for the Phoenix Suns and Managing Director for Team USA, and who is responsible for picking Team USA regarding the team that will represent the United States in the next Olympics.

Select this entire strong starting five right now for the team!

That is right, select Chauncey Billups PG, Richard Hamilton SG, Tayshaun Prince SF, Rasheed Wallace PF, and Ben Wallace C.

What more could any coach, especially Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski (who stresses “playing the right way”) want than an intact group of players that could help the team in so many ways?

I would not necessarily start any of the group on team, although both Wallace and Billups certainly deserve very strong consideration. But during the game I would have 2-3 in at all time to go with some pairing of young to mid career NBA talent like Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, Amare Stoudemire (if healthy), Jermaine O’Neal, Elton Brand, and Kobe Bryant, Carmello Anthony, Ray Allen, Michael Redd, Kevin Garnett, Shaquille O’Neal, Tim Duncan, and veterans Jason Kidd and Allen Iverson. (Garnett and Duncan and probably S. O’Neal are not expected to accept invitations this year but have for their credit represented the U.S. before, and Iverson and Bryant have locked down invitations.).

Plus at some point this whole squad would be on the floor for a 5-10 minute stretch, locking down defensively on the other team to a degree that no other starting five on any other club in the NBA except the Spurs can match.

Moreover, they know each other well and their games, and offer a nice mix of inside and outside threats and Rasheed Wallace is about as clutch a three shooter as I ever seen, and both Richard Hamilton and Chauncey Billups are developing deserved reputations as very clutch shooters.

R. Wallace, Hamilton, and Prince are all long arm defenders that can cause havoc in the wider international lane.

Also, you want physical in international play - bring it on - this Pistons starting five will not back down!

I guarantee that these five plus a good combination of seven NBA superstars and role players can play with anyone in the world and would have a great shot at returning the gold.

Mr. Colangelo - Do it!

(I realize the Pistons lost a surprise home game to the Jazz, but such losses happen in the long 82 marathon of the NBA season; and the Jazz are a better team than many realize - but that is a story for another day.)

Dr. Rumm is the "SportsDoc to the Fans", and as a former editor writes on players, teams and especially on medical issues. He lives near Philadelphia and is lifelong Spurs fan.
Gotta Response? E-mail It Here