PDA

View Full Version : Jermaine Wins NBA's Media Award.

Pooh
05-06-2004, 12:59 PM
By Mark Montieth
[email protected]
May 6, 2004

Jermaine O'Neal wants the media and fans to understand what's really going on with the Indiana Pacers.

So, he makes it a point to cooperate with reporters -- to such a degree that he was presented the Magic Johnson award on Wednesday.

The marble trophy is presented annually to an elite NBA player who is unusually accessible and insightful in his dealings with media members.

It is voted upon by the Professional Basketball Writers Association.

"If you don't talk to (reporters), they tend to have their own thoughts on who I am and who my teammates are and who the Pacers are," O'Neal said. "I don't ever want that to happen. I want them to understand what's going on from the people who are in the fire.

"I'm always going to do that."

O'Neal has gained a favorable reputation within the NBA media for his cooperative spirit and honest approach to interviews. Unlike some All-Star caliber players, he usually is available for interviews after game-day shootarounds and before games.

"I'm going to go home and put this on the mantle right next to the space (for next year's MVP trophy)," he joked.

O'Neal finished third in the balloting for that award earlier this week.

Artest to receive trophy

Ron Artest was named the NBA's Defensive Player of the Year on April 19, 17 days ago.

The public presentation of the award, however, will be made before tonight's second-round playoff game against Miami at Conseco Fieldhouse.

The delay was necessitated by the gap between the Pacers' first and second playoff rounds and the NBA's suspension of Artest in the opening round.

He was scheduled to receive the trophy before Game 2 against the Celtics on April 20, but he had to sit out that game for leaving the bench during an on-court confrontation in Game 1.

Artest should have plenty of opportunities to test his defensive prowess against the Heat. He'll be assigned to forward Caron Butler at the start of tonight's game but is likely to defend forward Lamar Odom and guards Eddie Jones and Dwyane Wade as well.

"I'll guard whoever's on fire," Artest said.

Link (http://www.indystar.com/articles/2/144049-2012-179.html)