PDA

View Full Version : Boy Are The Dimm-o-craps Reaching

xrayzebra
01-08-2006, 10:12 AM
Now they are going to try and stop Alito's nomination with this guy.
Now you know why I call them dimm-o-craps.

DEMOCRATS PLAN TO DESTROY ALITO
Fri Jan 06 2005 17:30:54 ET

**Exclusive**

Senate Democrats have put into place a plan that includes one last push to take down the nomination of Judge Samuel A. Alito as he heads into his confirmation hearing next week, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

Senate Democrats intend to zero in on Alito’s alleged enthusiastic membership to an organization, they will charge, that was sexist and racist!

MORE

Democrats hope to tie Alito to Concerned Alumni of Princeton (CAP).

Alito will testify that he joined CAP as a protest over Princeton policy that would not allow the ROTC on campus.

THE DRUDGE REPORT has obtained a Summer 1982 article from CAP’s PROSPECT magazine titled “Smearing The Class Of 1957” that key Senate Democrats believe could thwart his nomination!

In the article written by then PROSPECT editor Frederick Foote, Foote writes: “The facts show that, for whatever reasons, whites today are more intelligent than blacks.”

Senate Democrats expect excerpts like this written by other Princeton graduates will be enough to torpedo the Alito nomination.

One Democrat Hill staffer involved in their strategy declared, “Put a fork in Scalito. It doesn’t matter that Alito didn’t write it, it doesn’t matter that Alito wasn’t that active in the group, Foote wrote it in CAP’s magazine and we are going to make Alito own it.”

However, a Republican insider contacted about the situation said, “It’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. The reason CAP was formed was to protest against people like Drujack who think killing chickens is similar to what happened at Auschwitz. I don’t understand how what a guy named Foote wrote in some magazine has anything to do with Alito.”

MORE

The final witness on the Senate Democrats newly unveiled witness list for Alito’s hearing is freelance journalist Stephen Dujack.

Dujack is a ’76 Princeton graduate and a longtime critic of CAP.

Dujack was the author of a highly critical 1986 op-ed in the PRINCETON ALUMNI WEEKLY titled “The Contradictions Of CAP.” Dujack slammed the group for its policies opposing Princeton's decision to admit women and minorities.

Dujack now says: "Judge Alito will have to explain to the Senate Judiciary Committee why he paid dues to an outfit... that was overtly racist and sexist for its entire 14-year existence — at times passionately so, too."

Dujack adds: "There is no way for Alito's backers to claim his association with the organization does not imply endorsement of its views, for opposition to women and minorities at Princeton was as central to CAP as opposition to drunken driving is to MADD."

However, THE DRUDGE REPORT has learned the Democrats’ star witness comes with baggage of his own. Dujack penned an op-ed in 2003 that compared farm animals to Holocaust victims and gave money to the Kerry presidential campaign.

In the April 21, 2003 LOS ANGELES TIMES, Dujack wrote: “Like the victims of the Holocaust, animals are rounded up, trucked hundreds of miles to the kill floor and slaughtered.” Dujack went on, “To those who defend the modern-day Holocaust on animals by saying that animals are slaughtered for food and give us sustenance, I ask: if the victims of the Holocaust had been eaten, would that have justified the abuse and murder?”

THE DRUDGE REPORT has also uncovered a purported $2,000 donation Dujack made to John Kerry’s presidential campaign in 2004.

Developing....

-----------------------------------------------------------
Filed By Matt Drudge
Reports are moved when circumstances warrant
http://www.drudgereport.com for updates
(c)DRUDGE REPORT 2006

Then they finally have someone tell them to get with the program and
think just a little bit.

HMMMMMMM a dimm-o-crap who thinks. That is something. Anyhow,
they must have gotten a message from somewhere. Witness the next
article.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, December 16, 2005

WEB UPDATE - JAN. 7
CAP critic dropped from Alito witness list
Dujack '76 regrets controversial op-ed, will not testify before Senate committee

Mark Stefanski
Princetonian Staff Writer

An alumnus tapped by Democrats to testify in next week's Senate hearings on Samuel Alito '72 will no longer appear, removing the only witness slated to speak specifically about a controversial conservative alumni group of which Alito was a member.

Stephen Dujack '76, an environmental writer, had been outspoken in his condemnation of the group, Concerned Alumni of Princeton, which during the 1970s criticized the University's move to coeducation and adoption of affirmative action. Opponents of Alito's nomination to the Supreme Court had seized on his membership in the group to show that he is out-of-step with mainstream America on core issues.

Though it wasn't immediately clear why Dujack was removed from the Democrats' witness list, some observers believe he was vulnerable to attacks over an April 2003 Los Angeles Times column he wrote that compared animals killed in slaughterhouses with victims of the Holocaust.

On Friday, the office of Sen. John Cornyn (R-Tex.), a strong Alito backer, circulated copies of the column. By that evening, Dujack's name had been removed from a full list of witnesses released by the judiciary committee.

The column has not been specifically cited as the reason for Dujack's removal from the witness list, and he said he still plans to submit written testimony about the alumni group to the judiciary committee to tell senators "how awful this organization was."

"I'm going to want to explain why those of us who know the organization can be filled with revulsion at hearing that a person who was selected to go our nation's high court was proud of his membership in that organization," Dujack said in an email.

Politics professor and prominent conservative constitutional scholar Robert George described Dujack as "an example of a witness Republicans would be able to beat up pretty badly."

"I noticed conservative websites were just salivating because [Dujack] just seemed like such an obvious target," George said. "They could use him to say, 'Look these people against Alito are just these extreme people on the left.' "

Spokesmen for senior senators on the judiciary committee could not be reached for comment.

Dujack said in an email interview that the column has since brought him great grief and that he was only trying to defend something his late grandfather, Nobel laureate Isaac Bashevis Singer, had said about animal rights. Singer was a vegetarian and an advisory board member of a group called "Concern for Helping Animals in Israel."

"I haven't read any of the critiques thus far that mention my grandfather or anything about all of that stuff — just this short sound-bite stuff," Dujack said.

He added, "I regret very much having written that article. It's caused so much pain to people that I didn't intend to, so many who suffered like my family and worse ... That's the only thing I've written that I wish I could pull back. We all make mistakes sometimes."

Dujack has been replaced by two speakers who will discuss other topics, leaving nobody to speak about the alumni group, which has caused a storm of controversy since a 1985 application for a job at the Justice Department listing Alito's membership in the group was released in November.

But Dujack and other opponents believe that his CAP membership will still be an issue. "The issue is 'in play,' which was all that I had tried to accomplish when I set out — and I seem to have succeeded," Dujack said.

Judith Schaeffer '74, deputy legal director for People for the American Way, a liberal advocacy group that opposes Alito's confirmation, agreed that the issue will not soon disappear.

"It shouldn't at all," she said. "What [Dujack's] had to say is there and in writing. It's not just him, but the record is demonstrable."

This latest development follows a string of criticisms and questions from the press and Democrats about Alito and CAP, which was founded in 1972 and had become largely defunct by 1987.

Two weeks ago, Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-Mass.), a judiciary committee member who has described CAP as "anti-black" and "anti-women," asked committee chairman Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Penn.) to make a formal request for access to the archives of one of CAP's founders, hoping to learn more about Alito's involvement in the group. (See full story.)

On Friday, the Drudge Report citied anonymous Senate Democratic aides as saying that tying Alito to CAP was a Democratic strategy to derail his nomination. The report said the aides would make mention of racist comments in Prospect, the alumni group's magazine, and that it didn't matter that Alito had no part in writing them or any connection to them.

Drudge also reported that "Alito will testify that he joined CAP as a protest over Princeton policy that would not allow the ROTC on campus," but did not cite a source.

Opinion pieces in The New York Times and The Washington Post this weekend, including one by Kennedy, again make mention of CAP to raise questions about Alito's nomination.

Arguing that the Senate should "explore Judge Alito's honesty" because of suggestions that "he will bend the truth when it suits his purposes," an editorial in Sunday's New York Times said: "Judge Alito has said he does not recall being in an ultraconservative group called Concerned Alumni of Princeton, which opposed coeducation and affirmative action. That is odd, since he boasted of his membership in that same 1985 job application."

Trying to rebuff concerns about his involvement with CAP, Alito said in a statement last month to the judiciary committee that despite his Justice Department job application, "I have no recollection of being a member, of attending meetings, or otherwise participating in the activities of the group."

Supporters of CAP say the group was dedicated to increasing alumni involvement in University governance and tempering Nassau Hall's left-wing tendencies.

Fox News analyst and former New Jersey superior court judge Andrew Napolitano '72, a former CAP board member, said last month that he has "zero recollection" of Alito participating in the group. "His recollection and mine — which is that there's no recollection of him attending any of this stuff — are the same," Napolitano said.

Supporters of Alito's nomination inside and outside of the Senate have praised his intelligence and experience, among other factors. The nonpartisan American Bar Association this week gave Alito a unanimous "well qualified" rating.

"The President has selected a man with impeccable qualifications to serve on the Supreme Court," Cornyn has said previously of the nomination. "Judge Alito has served as a federal court of appeals judge for the last 15 years — giving him more judicial experience than any Supreme Court nominee in more than 70 years."

Dujack, a former associate editor at the Princeton Alumni Weekly, has publicly written about CAP in The Daily Princetonian and the Newark Star-Ledger since news of Alito's nomination.

In a Nov. 22 op-ed for The Daily Princetonian, he wrote that Alito "will have to explain how he permitted himself to belong to an organization that was overtly racist and sexist for its entire 14-year existence — at times passionately so, too." (See full story.)

Dujack is scheduled to speak on campus Jan. 13 at an event sponsored by the College Democrats.

:elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant

ChumpDumper
01-08-2006, 10:25 AM
So was he a member or not?

xrayzebra
01-08-2006, 10:29 AM
So was he a member or not?

What difference does it make. How many organizations do you belong to?
And do you agree with all their ideas? Or better yet, do you practice all
their so called beliefs. 1957 almost fifty years ago in a defunct organization,
give me a break.

ChumpDumper
01-08-2006, 10:38 AM
What difference does it make.Quite a bit.
How many organizations do you belong to?None with those views.
And do you agree with all their ideas? Or better yet, do you practice all
their so called beliefs. So you'll defend Robert Byrd from now on right?

FromWayDowntown
01-08-2006, 11:08 AM
1957 almost fifty years ago in a defunct organization,
give me a break.

The article in question was written in 1982, not 1957.

I do think that the associations of a prospective Supreme Court justice are significant to determining what his or her judicial temperament and philosophy are -- particularly because the Supreme Court is, in many senses, not bound by anything other than its own philosophical moorings, whatever they may be. If Alito was a voluntary member of an organization that espoused and advanced racist ideas, that is a matter of some significance to understanding what his philosophical beliefs are. I don't think it should (in most instances) make or break the nomination, but it is certainly an issue that should be discussed and understood before any vote on the nomination takes place.