PDA

View Full Version : Sweet and Sour Pork.

Buddy Holly
01-08-2006, 05:10 PM
I'm thinking of making some but I personally don' know how to and I've seen "pre-packaged" boxes at the stores where they have the sauce and everything included.

I really want to make it from scratch.

Does anyone have a personal favorite recipe for sweet n sour pork?

Vashner
01-08-2006, 05:45 PM
It's the MSG that makes it taste good.

But to make it at home? I guess some pork tips / small slices, onion and bell pepper fried in some veggie oil. Then some sweet & sour sauce from the grocery or asian speciality story. Throw in a spoon of hot oil and some garlic.

Buddy Holly
01-08-2006, 05:55 PM
Thanks.

exstatic
01-08-2006, 05:56 PM
Isn't S&S pork batter fried?

SpursWoman
01-08-2006, 06:38 PM
You don't have to ... I made some without frying it and it was awesome, and a little less damaging. :)

Here it is! Sorry I saw this thread too late....

SWEET AND SOUR PORK

1 1/2 pounds pork loin, lean
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup pineapple juice, * see note
20 ounces pineapple chunks in juice, drained
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1/3 cup vinegar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon soy sauce
3/4 cup green pepper, sliced
1/2 cup onion, sliced

Brown pork in oil in large skillet. Combine water, vinegar, brown sugar, cornstarch, salt, soy sauce, and juice from pineapple; cook until clear and slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Add sauce to pork in skillet; cook over low heat for about 1 hour or until pork is done. Add pineapple chunks, green peppers and onion; continue cooking for 2 minutes longer.
*Use juice from pineapple chunks.

Serving Size: 4

thispego
01-08-2006, 07:17 PM
I'm thinking of making some but I personally don' know how to and I've seen "pre-packaged" boxes at the stores where they have the sauce and everything included.

I really want to make it from scratch.

Does anyone have a personal favorite recipe for sweet n sour pork?
SICK!!!!!!!!!!!

KEDA
01-08-2006, 08:14 PM
PF Changs has awesome sweet and sour pork

Vashner
01-08-2006, 08:23 PM
Was eating lunch in Austin with some friends and guy from Somalia blew chunks when he found a ball of pork in his soup. He had asked about it 1st and they said no pork....

Summers
01-08-2006, 08:40 PM
You don't have to ... I made some without frying it and it was awesome, and a little less damaging. :)

Here it is! Sorry I saw this thread too late....

SWEET AND SOUR PORK

1 1/2 pounds pork loin, lean
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup pineapple juice, * see note
20 ounces pineapple chunks in juice, drained
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1/3 cup vinegar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon soy sauce
3/4 cup green pepper, sliced
1/2 cup onion, sliced

Brown pork in oil in large skillet. Combine water, vinegar, brown sugar, cornstarch, salt, soy sauce, and juice from pineapple; cook until clear and slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Add sauce to pork in skillet; cook over low heat for about 1 hour or until pork is done. Add pineapple chunks, green peppers and onion; continue cooking for 2 minutes longer.
*Use juice from pineapple chunks.

Serving Size: 4

Ooh, that sounds good! I'm going to try it. :)

SpursWoman
01-08-2006, 10:13 PM
It's really good...and really easy. :)

Summers
01-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Hey SW, I just printed this out and was going to run to the store and buy the few things I need to make it, but I noticed it says cook for an hour. So, this is for cooking a whole pork loin? Is it like a Hawaiian pineapple pork thing? Sounds delicious, just won't get cooked today for lunch. :lol

SpursWoman
01-11-2006, 12:44 PM
I cubed the pork loin ... I don't think it took a whole hour that way, but yeah...it's kind of late for lunch unless you like a late one. :lol

It was kind of Hawaiian-y ... but it was really good. :)

travis2
01-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Why does Miss Piggy douche with vinegar and honey? :devil