PDA

View Full Version : Pacers practice, wait to learn foe.

Pooh
05-03-2004, 07:03 PM
By Mark Montieth
[email protected]
May 3, 2004

It would have been nice for the Indiana Pacers had Miami eliminated New Orleans from their first-round playoff series Sunday. That way, they could've spent three days preparing for the Heat.

Then again, it's nice for the Pacers that the Heat and Hornets will bump and grind for the maximum seven games, and have just one practice before beginning second-round play against the Pacers at Conseco Fieldhouse on Thursday.

"My feeling all along is that we have to accept whatever happens," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said Sunday, after New Orleans forced a Game 7 with an 89-83 win over the Heat. "We all understood we were going to have a long break and the best thing is to make the best of it."

The Pacers' practices today and Tuesday will be general in nature. After the Heat and Hornets conclude their series Tuesday night, the Pacers will have one practice while knowing their next opponent.

"There are certain things common to both teams we can do in the next couple of days," Carlisle said. "We'll concentrate on those things and prepare for other things coming at us.

"It's an unusual deal, without question."

Favorable tradeoff?

Most of the Pacers' players are pleased to see the Heat and Hornets going the distance.

"The longer our next series goes, we're going to have fresher bodies than (Miami or New Orleans)," guard Reggie Miller said. "Come Game 3 or 4 or 5 of ours, we'll be much fresher than they will."

The Pacers will be trading rust for bruises. They have to endure an 11-day wait since eliminating Boston on April 25, but they should be healthier and more rested than whomever they play.

"Nobody's a machine," forward Ron Artest said. "People can get tired. You always want to take advantage of what's in your favor. You still can't take it for granted, though."

O'Neal reverting to form.

Jermaine O'Neal's field goal percentage during the regular season was .434, the lowest in his four years with the Pacers.

His percentage in the first-round series against Boston was .444, .23 lower than last season's playoff series against the Celtics.

He's addressed the drop-offs by going back to work on his jump hook, a shot he abandoned most of the regular season.

"I'm going back to the basics and the things I did in high school that had me shooting a higher percentage," he said.

O'Neal has been talking on the telephone with his high school coach, George Glymph, a member of the Pacers' coaching staff the past three years who now works with New York. Glymph has provided some tips on regaining his lost touch.

"I guess (the long layoff between rounds) is a plus for me now because I'm able to go back and make those adjustments and do some things in the second and third round that (opponents) haven't seen this year," O'Neal said.