PDA

View Full Version : Pheonix announcers

doldrums
01-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Last week I stood up for the Denver announcers as being homers but not vicious homers (ie. where announcers merely lace into all of the opposing team members) Well, watching the Phoenix telecast last night on nba tv(I don't live in Texas , so I received it) had to be one of the most worst examples of homerism I have ever hwitnessed. Now, there are 2 sportscasters, and one was fine, but the other a former b-baller(Ernie Johnson or something like that) spent the entire broadcast lambasting Manu the most but Tim and Tony came in for inappropriate remarks , as well. He couldn't believe Manu didn't flop coming out of the locker rooms, and referred to his flopping almost every minute he was on the court and gloated when Raja Bell elbowed him, implying he deserved it. When asked by the other announcer whether he would want him on his team, he begrudgingly said "yeah, but I hate him too much" . As for Duncan he said he is always whining even when he is getting the benefit of all the calls because of his star power. As for Tony, he harped the whole game that tony has the worst looking outside shot and that it stinks. Naturally before Tony hit 3 in a row. But he remarked when Tony hit his 3rd outside shot of the game , how he finally hit one. I do not think that he even pays attention when the Spurs have the ball. The only positives directed at the Spurs were for it's defense, even though he guaranteed the viewers that Eddie House would hit a 3 before the game was over. Of course, that was never mentioned again.

SenorSpur
01-08-2006, 10:03 PM
Yeah, it's all true. I totally understand the local broadcasters being somewhat biased because they are employed by the organization, but Eddie Johnson's comments were "way off base" they were comical.

He went on to say "this is not the same Suns team that the Spurs played last year" and "the Spurs won't be able to stay with them in a 7-game series."

I used to like Eddie when he played in the league, now he's just another fuckin' overzealous, overly-optimistic, chicken-fried, suck ass - just like that chicken fried Suns owner - Robert Sarver.

I get so tired of Suns players, fans, broadcasters and the like thinking they are better than the Spurs. It's almost as though THEY won the championship last year. Lest I remind all that the Spurs disposed of those bitches in "FIVE GAMES".

I sincerely hope we play their "bitch asses" in the playoffs (at full strength). We'll see what shakes out then.

SenorSpur
01-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Yeah, it's all true. I totally understand the local broadcasters being somewhat biased because they are employed by the organization, but Eddie Johnson's comments were "way off base" they were comical.

He went on to say "this is not the same Suns team that the Spurs played last year" and "the Spurs won't be able to stay with them in a 7-game series."

I used to like Eddie when he played in the league, now he's just another fuckin' overzealous, overly-optimistic, chicken-fried, suck ass - just like that chicken fried Suns owner - Robert Sarver.

I get so tired of Suns players, fans, broadcasters and the like thinking they are better than the Spurs. It's almost as though THEY won the championship last year. Lest I remind all that the Spurs disposed of those bitches in "FIVE GAMES".

I sincerely hope we play their "bitch asses" in the playoffs (at full strength). We'll see what shakes out then.

doldrums
01-08-2006, 10:19 PM
Absolutely, I mean it's fine to pull for your team and disagree with some calls, no problem. But it became personal with Ernie almost to the point of anger. I live in NYC and the Knicks(and Nets, as well) sportscasters are so balanced(I even like Walt Frazier and his big vocabulary words) that it really hits me over the head when I witness other broadcasts and their homerism. But this was downright cruel and unprofessional.

SirChaz
01-08-2006, 10:31 PM
This thread is awesome.

:lmao

boutons_
01-08-2006, 10:47 PM
"Walt Frazier"

I love that Walt. He has a soft, lyrical voice, and has his own, original set of phrases. Excellent, easy-going commentator. Clearly a Knicks guy, but not harshly so.

boutons_
01-08-2006, 10:49 PM
Where was Sarver's chicken suit last night?
He's such an adolescent jackass.
In his 40s, has he started to grow up finally?

Tim's health permitting, we'll extinguish the Suns again next May.

my2sons
01-08-2006, 10:50 PM
This thread is awesome.

:lmao
not as awesome as the waxing the suns got in last years playoffs :elephant

doldrums
01-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Yeah Walt is fun even when he misuses the big words. Clearly no other broadcast has multiple uses of "ubiquitous" and his favorite "omnipresent". He really is on a roll when he's rhyming, but yeah they are quick to put down the Knicks, which the fans here respect. Although the last 3 games the Knicks have metamorphosized(another Frazierism) and there haven't been as many opportunities to criticize them.

smeagol
01-08-2006, 11:03 PM
Pretty pathetic announcers

Obstructed_View
01-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Why would anyone expect the Suns' announcers to have any class? The fans, the team, the owner, the coach and the city don't.

Ginobili_20_gold_medalist
01-08-2006, 11:07 PM
You just have to take it as a sign of respect. That much envy is only reserved for teams/players that have ripped your guts out. The Spurs did just that to the Suns last year and obviously some people aren't over it. Ginobili was a big catalyst in embarrassing the Suns so it didn't surprise me when Eddie Johnson ragged on him. He was just an extension of the Phoenix frustration.

JMarkJohns
01-08-2006, 11:09 PM
Why would anyone expect the Suns' announcers to have any class? The fans, the team, the owner, the coach and the city don't.

^ This entire post is one giant oxymoron.

I agree on the topic. Leander sucks, Bender sucks, Johnson drags on and on and Majerle is wasted. They are more like cheerleaders than announcers.

When McCoy is on, I mute the TV and liston to the radio.

SHHHHAAAZZZAAAMMMM!!!!!!

SirChaz
01-08-2006, 11:20 PM
not as awesome as the waxing the suns got in last years playoffs :elephant

No, but as forum comedy goes it's pretty good.

Solid D
01-08-2006, 11:21 PM
Of the national broadcast teams, I always enjoy Marv Albert and Steve Kerr.

Analysts: for recognition of what is going on...on the court, Hubie Brown beats the others cold, although Doug Collins does a nice job of recognition also. Bill Walton is just whack, funny but he over-exaggerates so much, he's like the boy who cried "Wolf". Steve Jones is negative, even when he's trying to be positive. I can't figure out how he's lasted for so long, except for the fact that he knows his basketball. I will say, he's a nice antedote for Walton, when they are teamed together.

Sean Elliott is a great analyst for the Spurs because of his humor (Seanisms) and his knowledge of the Spurs defensive assignments and what players are supposed to be doing. He can tell immediately who missed an assignment because he knows Pop's system.

I didn't hear the Suns announcers last night. It would be hard to be more homeristic than Tommy Heinsohn of the Celtics, however.

01-08-2006, 11:24 PM
I didn't hear the Suns announcers last night. It would be hard to be more homeristic than Tommy Heinsohn of the Celtics, however.

Believe it or not but Eddie Johnson even out-homered Heinsohn last night.

Sense
01-09-2006, 12:52 AM
We gotta remember that other cities have way more homerism than San Antonio people.

These guys have no class like most of the Spurs related staff and you should know that by now.

Most cities are just blind to see that they can't beat a Spurs team that has been an elite team for lotz of years in their first and second year.
But it's fine, broadcasters are fans, I know Elliott and our other broadcasters are Spurs fans too, but they give alot of credit to the other team and respect that it's hilarious to see homers in other teams.

But that's why San Antonio is a unique city, and we should be proud at the fact that when other fans watch NBAtv with our announcers, they aren't whining about homerism in here.

circles_eternal
01-09-2006, 12:53 AM
i had to try really hard to keep myself from breaking something when one of the announcers was kinda goading raja on when he and manu were fighting for the ball.

i think it was johnson who said something along the lines of, 'leandro`s enjoying this' (because in a way, raja was hitting manu) and that leandro probably wanted raja to hit manu more in the face or something like that.

...i don`t know about you guys, but i had to mute them after that.

Kori Ellis
01-09-2006, 12:56 AM
I hate it when people can't spell Phoenix.

JMarkJohns
01-09-2006, 01:00 AM
I don't even think you'll get arguments. They truly are terrible. It's really sad that McCoy is radio-only. Even if he's doing play-by-play mainly, he's still infinately better than the others.

Red Kerr is a big-time homer. I laughed at just how much so when the Bulls played Phoenix on New Year's Eve.

I don't mind a little home-town flavor, but I think the majority of Phoenix fans think pretty low of Leander and Bender. Johnson isn't a homer so much as Mr. Obvious. Sometimes it sounds like he's a homer because he's constantly talking about his "Suns days"... Majerle is the best of the bunch, but I can't tell if it's because he's good, or because the others are so bad.

I loved Elliot on ESPN, so I'm pretty certain I'd like the Spurs broadcast.

Sometimes I want to throw stuff and I'm a fan of the team!

Matrix
01-09-2006, 04:46 AM
I actually think Majerle is funny, don't really care for EJ, but what did you expect, to hear Suns broadcasters on the spurs nuts, of course not. who cares about the announcers for a team, or a game.

Solid D
01-09-2006, 08:52 AM
I actually think Majerle is funny, don't really care for EJ, but what did you expect, to hear Suns broadcasters on the spurs nuts, of course not. who cares about the announcers for a team, or a game.

I think the people who commented (cared) about the announcers were the ones watching the NBA TV broadcast. NBA TV took the local feed and used that as their Nat'l/Internat'l broadcast.

mrose31
01-09-2006, 09:14 AM
Yeah ernie johnson is bad but no way compares to celtics anouncers they are in denial. I think it easy to see homerism watching other commentators but some of ours can be pretty difficult to listen to if you are routing for the other team. I mean Sean elliot is great and 1 of my favorite players and great as an annoucer and can be non biased except when covering a Spurs game. I know from other fans he is great unless their team is playing spurs then they can not stand him. I don't think Suns fans are that bad at all. I think the teams with bad fans are the ones that boo their own teams like, lakers, knicks, and sixers.

carina_gino20
01-09-2006, 09:21 AM
i particularly hated it when he implied that Manu deserves all the banging he got last night for being a flopper. the guy is in denial. and when manu was elbowed on the throat, he even sarcastically said, "Well, he didn't go down!" what a lame excuse for an announcer

doldrums
01-09-2006, 09:23 AM
I think the people who commented (cared) about the announcers were the ones watching the NBA TV broadcast. NBA TV took the local feed and used that as their Nat'l/Internat'l broadcast.

My point exactly. This was a local broadcast being televised around the world to viewers with NBA TV. The announcers conducted themselves as unruly cheerleaders to the point that they missed plays because of their editorializing. It was unprofessional and must have looked really bad to impartial fans.

birdy219
01-09-2006, 10:48 AM

I do expect an announcer NOT to encourage violence against another player. Just because his team can't beat him. I posted last week about the Denver's homer announcers; I see the same problem is in Phoenix too. It's like we can't beat them so let's bash them verbally. It's childish and pathetic to sink so low.

CubanMustGo
01-09-2006, 10:51 AM
"SA lost to PHX, so let's bash the PHX announcers" forum

Rydia
01-09-2006, 06:02 PM
I like it when they say Phone-ix....hahaha!

You know what....it's really sad when your MOM is watching the game and she notices the announcers are HORRIBLE.
She was also offended that Manu was getting beaten by Raja Bell's elbow!!

G-Nob
01-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Just like Sarver, Cuban consistantly monitors the job the announcers do during each game. They have to be homers. They have to appear as though they are rooting for the team because it helps with marketing. They have to be that way or they could find themselves out of a job next season. Bob Ortegal(mavs color guy) is just like Johnson. These guys could tone it down a bit when the game is on NBA-tv because it being piped to a national crowd. But thats too sensible. The Spurs are the champs and you just have to get used to not only the full throttle approach they are gonna get on the court by EVERY team, but also the same approach we have to take as fans when we have to deal with the other teams announcers. Just sit back and grin when the Spurs pull out a win and its the ultimate retribution!

SirChaz
01-09-2006, 06:49 PM
She was also offended that Manu was getting beaten by Raja Bell's elbow!!

Then maybe Manu shouldn't stick his nose in there.

The Suns spent last season getting elbowed and grabbed by the Spurs and not doing anything about it. The Spurs made that a physical game but this time the Suns answered in kind.

I thought, like Eddie Johnson obivously did, that it was pretty entertaining that the Suns were dishing it out instead of just taking it from the Spurs.

There was nothing dirty about that play.

Solid D
01-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Then maybe Manu shouldn't stick his nose in there.

The Suns spent last season getting elbowed and grabbed by the Spurs and not doing anything about it. The Spurs made that a physical game but this time the Suns answered in kind.

I thought, like Eddie Johnson obivously did, that it was pretty entertaining that the Suns were dishing it out instead of just taking it from the Spurs.

There was nothing dirty about that play.

I didn't think the Spurs were that physical last season against the Suns.

That sounds like you soft or somethin. 'You soft? :lol

SirChaz
01-09-2006, 07:18 PM
I didn't think the Spurs were that physical last season against the Suns.

That sounds like you soft or somethin. 'You soft? :lol

No, compared to this year, the Suns were soft.

It started on that first regular season matchup when the Suns put up 34 points before POP went nuts and got T'd up. After that I would say the Spurs played much closer to playoff style intensity. The Suns frankly didn't know how to react.
They let the Spurs take them out of their game with a more physical game and they were blown out.

Even in the WCF you could see the Suns were being taught a lesson and really didn't understand what it took to win against a team like the Spurs.
I think Amare started to get it and showed some intensity to end game four and avoid the sweep but it was too little too late.

This was a big game for the Suns because they proved they can win this type of game, the type of game that favors the Spurs.

I never want anyone to get hurt but if Manu gets his nose bent a little I am not sorry about it.

Solid D
01-09-2006, 07:29 PM

It started on that first regular season matchup when the Suns put up 34 points before POP went nuts and got T'd up. After that I would say the Spurs played much closer to playoff style intensity. The Suns frankly didn't know how to react.
They let the Spurs take them out of their game with a more physical game and they were blown out.

Even in the WCF you could see the Suns were being taught a lesson and really didn't understand what it took to win against a team like the Spurs.
I think Amare started to get it and showed some intensity to end game four and avoid the sweep but it was too little too late.

This was a big game for the Suns because they proved they can win this type of game, the type of game that favors the Spurs.

That's cool. I was playing with ya there, anyways.

I never want anyone to get hurt but if Manu gets his nose bent a little I am not sorry about it.

Fans of the Spurs may have complained about the elbow from Raja but I'm not sure how much Manu did.

Raja Bell plays a tough, physical style. In retrospect if Raja hadn't came high with the elbow at the end of the half in San Antonio maybe Barbosa doesn't have a knee injury right there. Action, reaction, bad action.

01-09-2006, 07:35 PM

That's crap :lol The Spurs were never physical with the Suns. That series never even got close to emotional or physical. SA simply beat Phoenix at their own game and scored at will. The WCF was a cakewalk compared to the physical series the Spurs had against the Nuggets, Sonics and Pistons.

ALVAREZ6
01-09-2006, 07:41 PM
That's pretty bullshit how some people pay money for NBATV and you don't even get neutral commentators, you get their local fuckers. It's the same for the NBA Audio when you listen to games online, they're cheap bastards.

bonesinaz
01-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Ernie Johnson is one of the worst announcers I have ever heard. Even though I hate the Suns, AL McCoy is awesome.

Most of the time if I have a suns game on, I have to mute it because of EJ or Majerle. Majerle is just a bitter, no winning puke and I have rocks in my back yard smarter than EJ.

dbreiden83080
01-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Yeah i loved the idiot Suns announcers assertion that they play much better D this year than last year. They came into the game giving up 98 pts a game so what the hell were they talking about.

Kori Ellis
01-09-2006, 08:23 PM
That's pretty bullshit how some people pay money for NBATV and you don't even get neutral commentators, you get their local fuckers. It's the same for the NBA Audio when you listen to games online, they're cheap bastards.

Where do you want them to get neutral commentators? If it's not a nationally televised game, you either game the home commentators or away commentators? Where would the neutral ones come from?

Solid D
01-09-2006, 09:58 PM
Yeah i loved the idiot Suns announcers assertion that they play much better D this year than last year. They came into the game giving up 98 pts a game so what the hell were they talking about.

dbreiden, ppg isn't the best indicator of defensive ability because uptempo play allows for more trips and scoring chances. Opp. FG% is a much better indicator and the Suns are much improved in that area. They currently rank #5, four slots worse than the Spurs. I'd say the Suns a most certainly improved.

T Park
01-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Most people hear what they want to hear.

I heard him saying that Ginobili deserved more elbows.

But of course, thats "ok"

Oh, Yea, that is totally the same thing

I think it is.

Whats the difference?

Not feeling bad about one guy getting hurt because of an intentional hit?

I heard Eddie JOhnson say that, of course not before him saying hes the worst flopper in the league, and that blah blah blah

It got fucking old.

T Park
01-09-2006, 11:20 PM
Elliott can be a homer at times.

And other times hell say the team is playing bad.

He'll also compliment the other team at times as well.

But no, NBA TV makes us listen to Eddie "He deserves more elbows" Johnson

leemajors
01-09-2006, 11:22 PM
nba audio off the nba website you can choose between home/away announcers...

SirChaz
01-10-2006, 12:29 AM
I heard him saying that Ginobili deserved more elbows.

I didn't but maybe I'll watch it again.

Whats the difference?

Nobody got hurt. Manu wasn't helped off the court after Bell's elbows.

I heard Eddie JOhnson say that, of course not before him saying hes the worst flopper in the league, and that blah blah blah

It got fucking old.

I see know you are all pissed because in Eddie Johnson's opinion Manu is a flopper. Why do you care what he says anyway?

Maybe your just mad because he's right.

Obstructed_View
01-10-2006, 02:33 AM
If only you had admin rights to fix it.

Oh, wait...

:)

ALVAREZ6
01-10-2006, 03:08 PM
Where do you want them to get neutral commentators? If it's not a nationally televised game, you either game the home commentators or away commentators? Where would the neutral ones come from?
From the NBA. They can't get 2 commentators for every game on NBATV???? It's not like NBATV televises that many games, and you gotta pay for NBATV don't you???

Kori Ellis
01-10-2006, 03:09 PM
If only you had admin rights to fix it.

Oh, wait...

:)

But then I couldn't point it out :)

I'm from there; that's why I hate it.

SpursWoman
01-10-2006, 03:15 PM
I'm from there; that's why I hate it.

I'm not from there, but it irritates the hell out of me everytime I open the Spurs forum. :lol :lol

At least he remembered that there is an "O" in there, somewhere..... :spin

travis2
01-10-2006, 03:30 PM
I'm not from there, but it irritates the hell out of me everytime I open the Spurs forum. :lol :lol

At least he remembered that there is an "O" in there, somewhere..... :spin

It's all about the "O"...