PDA

View Full Version : Game Four Postgame Quotes

Pooh
04-25-2004, 07:32 PM
PACERS COACH RICK CARLISLE

“I’d just like to say that we’re very proud of our players. I thought our guys played hard, got better as we went along, showed a lot of dignity and a lot of poise. As a franchise, we’re very proud of that. Playing a storied franchise like the Celtics is an honor for us and while things are a little bit down right now. As a former celtic player, I can tell you that this franchise is headed in the right direction. A lot of people don’t realize that Raef Lafrentz is sitting out and he is going to certainly help the team a lot next year and they’ve been through a turbulent year. A lot of upheaval with the roster, for them to get into the playoffs to me was a show of unity and I thought John Carroll to get into this situation did a marvelous job of keeping this team together. When you have the title of ‘interim’ for an entire year and you’re always referred to as the interim guy, that’s gotta be one of the hardest situations to be in and handled the team and the entire situation with great integrity and dignity and I’m sure that the franchise will take care of him somehow. Obviously, this was one of our goals: to get out of the first round and we did that, and we’re the first team to advance so we’re very proud of that.”

(Re: mindset before series about talent disparity) “The challenge for us, Boston is a talented team. Lets not kid ourselves, they had a different kind of talent than we do. They need to play a more up-tempo style. In the beginning of the first game when we were down 33-31 a minute into the third quarter, we were playing their game. That was a scary prospect for us. The biggest thing we had to do in this series was play our tempo and play to our strengths. If we were went up and down with them we weren’t going to play inside out, we weren’t going to be able to have an advantage on the boards. Even though we got handled on the boards today, we were able to get enough stops and make enough shots to get a win. This was not an easy series, contrary to what many people want to make you believe.”

(Re: the difference being made in the second quarter) “We had a good push in the second quarter again. I’m not sure why that’s happening that way, but we held them to 13 and scored 25 and it obviously got us going. They haven’ t been that compete in a while, Chucky Atkins is limping around out there. There’s a playoff veteran that you really need playing at his absolutely best and feeling his best. I thought our guys did a great job on Paul Pierce but I’m not convinced that his health is 100%. He’s a guy that would never say anything. The second quarter was key for us and we managed to gained momentum and needed to stave off runs because we knew they were going to make them. And you know, we’re in a good position now.”

PACERS FORWARD JERMAINE O'NEAL

(Re: looking forward to rest or practice?) “I don’t know. Obviously getting rest and getting your body healthy enough so you get an opportunity to train a little harder as far as weight training and then get a little stronger. The next series is good for us. We want the Miami-New Orleans series to be dragged out, let them beat up on each other and we come in fresh and strong and healthy. Then we come in and try to protect home court but this is a good thing for me. I got a small monkey off my back as far as getting out of the first round but now I have a bigger one getting Mr. Miller his ring. I am one of those guys who takes it personal about getting him his ring because he gave up a lot for me to be here and after the last three years of losing it hurt me personally because I knew the type of guy he is and the things he wants. And to loose the way we lost really hurt me. I think Joe, me and the rest of the guys got ourselves together physically and mentally to get to this point. And losing the way we lost the last 3 years has prepared this team and now we can take the same focus and same mental toughness into the next 3 rounds.”

(Re: surprised to be sitting here after a 4 game sweep?) “Well Reggie pretty much said it all. There are a lot of different scenarios on the court and they pout you in a tough situation. To the get full game sweep you have to have preparation, physical toughness and mental focus and just the effort out there.”

(Re: How do you feel about making 2nd round?) “I feel like its another win. 16 games you have to win to take home the ring. Personally my goal is to get a ring for [Reggie Miller.] I have the opportunity for some many years to fight for a ring. But I know Reggie is coming to the end of his and he was a hall of famer and definitely deserves the opportunity to get the ring. He could have been a guy that said we don’t want this guy and keep our team but I feel obligated to go out and play in the playoffs to get him his ring.”

PACERS GUARD REGGIE MILLER

(Re: how can you make this work in the second round?) “Obviously it benefits us because the longer the New Orleans-Miami series goes we get to rest. Time has shown that the team who has the freshest legs as time goes on usually prevails. This is a big step for the younger guys, especially Jermaine [O’ Neal], it’s a big step for all of us. The last three years always going out in the first round and really having a shot to win all of those series because we had home court advantage, we started on the road and always went there and won. But we could never really hold home court at our place4. But this is a big step for this franchise, mentally, psychologically, however you want to put it- for us to be hopefully the champions we had to get out of the mind block of first round. But now that we’ve done that its only going to get tougher but this team is ready for the challenge.”

“You know I was jealous when Ronnie [Artest] got Defensive Player of the Year. Throughout my career I have never really gotten credit for it. What bigger stage to show your ability than in the playoffs. I think I was in the right place at the right time. The Celtics were trying to get the ball up quick and trying to throw it ahead and I was anticipating as lot and came up with some good steals. Defensively this is the best we’ve been tuned in out of the series. In Game 3 that one quarter was nice but for a whole 48 min game we really helped each other. Guys got D and the big guys came over and swarmed. When they swarmed the little guys came and took over. We have the offensive talent to play with anyone but if we want to be successful in these playoffs we have to get it done on the defensive end.”

(Re: Performance in series) “Its how I have played all year. Jermaine [O’Neal], Al [Harrington] and Ron [Artest], that’s our offense focus. I am here for the clean up. I am here for last second shots. I am here to create and help runs but I shouldn’t be the main focus on this team, I am here to blend in. I am somewhat of a chameleon on this team and that’s something I relish in. These guys create so much havoc down low that my job has become easier because they create double teams.”

(Re: Surprised to be sitting here after a 4 game sweep?) “Obviously you never think you will sweep anyone. We had a lot of sleepness nights last year with these same Celtics. But like I said, this is a different team, we are still focused. We don’t get too high, we never get too low, we don’t take anything for granted and we let our hard work speak for it self. If we loose great, but we aren’t going to take satisfaction in winning the first round playoff game because we expected to do that. But its only going to get harder for us.”

pacersrule03
04-25-2004, 09:02 PM
http://www.gripworks.com/images/broom-grips.jpg
sweeeeeeeeeepp!
When someone needed to step up in this series, they did. Whether it was Ron, JO, Reggie, Al, or the bench they made it happen. The pacers have so many weapons, they will be tough to beat in a 7 game series against anyone.
WHO'S :next3 ?

Pooh
04-25-2004, 09:47 PM
More like whose "next" and will it matter? We'll roll whoever comes in our way....12 men, 48 min of pure hell...just try and stop it. You can't!