PDA

View Full Version : Bowen vs. Carter :who will prevail?

milkyway21
01-10-2006, 03:19 AM
will there be another headline?

or a Carter "silly" postgame quotes?

Carter is doing awesome basketball right now. And his & Kidd's Nets are on a roll with a 10-game winning streak. But tonight they're playing against the champs and on SBC,where the Spurs have only lost 1 home game this season.

who will win?

Spurs or Nets?

Carter o Bowen?

In his defense, Bowen forgets past

Web Posted: 01/10/2006 12:00 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
San Antonio Express-News

Bruce Bowen didn't watch New Jersey's victory over Toronto on Sunday afternoon, but he caught the highlights. Which meant he saw plenty of Vince Carter.

In rallying the Nets past his former team, Carter scored 24 of his 42 points in the fourth quarter. His 3-pointer with .1 seconds left won the game.

"It was a game they should have lost," Bowen said. "But his resolve kept them in it."

Bowen won't have to channel surf to find Carter tonight. With New Jersey visiting the SBC Center, he'll be charged with making sure the All-Star guard doesn't duplicate his performance.

The Nets have won 10 consecutive games — the most in the NBA this season — and Carter is averaging 33.5 points, 6.5 rebounds and 5.1 assists during the streak. :rolleyes

"He's playing up to his abilities," Bowen said, "and he has a total package anyone would wish for."

Bowen doesn't hope to stop Carter as much as he wants to make him work — the same goal he has when facing any top scorer.

Kobe Bryant was averaging 40.2 points in the five games before the Los Angeles Lakers faced the Spurs on Nov. 29. Bowen helped hound him into missing 24 of 33 shots.

Philadelphia visited the SBC Center four nights later with Allen Iverson averaging 39.4 points his previous five games. Bowen didn't shut down Iverson but helped hold him without a basket in the third quarter when the Spurs took control.

"I think sometimes it's that thought process that tends to screw guys up: 'I am going to do this or do that because he's on a roll,'" Bowen said. "You still have to play the same."

Bowen's recent encounters with Carter have generated more than a few headlines.

When the Spurs visited Toronto two seasons ago, Carter sprained his left ankle when he landed on Bowen's foot after missing a jump shot. Afterward, Carter inferred Bowen purposely stepped under him.

The two players met again last season in New Jersey. Neither Bowen nor his teammates could do anything to slow Carter. With 10:22 to play, he made a free throw for his 43rd point.

After Carter missed a jump shot less than a minute later, one of his legs became entangled with Bowen's. Carter spun around and ran at Bowen. Although an official quickly cut him off, Carter was given a technical foul.

Because Carter and Bowen had received earlier technicals for exchanging slight head bumps, the Nets guard was automatically ejected. The Spurs went on to beat New Jersey.

Bowen said after the game he thought Carter tried to trip him. Nets coach Lawrence Frank complained the referees should have been more aware of the players' history.

"Last year Bruce ended Vince's season by stepping under him on his jump shot," Frank said after the game. "... If someone ended your season and then they did it again, you'd probably be a little upset as well."

Frank's comments upset Bowen. At the least, Frank exaggerated the severity of Carter's injury: Carter missed six games with a sprained ankle after the Feb. 18, 2004, incident.

"What can I say about a coach when they say bad things about me?" Bowen said. "I can't say anything. Those who have videotape can rewind it, and they'll find the truth in that."

The teams' final meeting last season was considerably quieter. Carter scored only 13 points, but Devin Brown defended him for a long stretch because Bowen drew two fouls in the first three minutes.

Bowen hopes to stay on the floor longer tonight. He'll try to challenge as many of Carter's shots as possible and hope he misses some he usually makes. :smokin

What he won't be thinking about, he insists, is the past.

"I respect him a great deal," Bowen said. "I know it will be a big deal to others. But as far as me, I just have to play."

Injury update: Beno Udrih, who has missed the past two games with the flu, didn't practice Monday, but the Spurs hope he will be available to play tonight ... Sean Marks was feeling better Monday after spraining his left ankle while shooting before Saturday's game ... Nick Van Exel said his left elbow is feeling "much better." Van Exel received a cortisone injection Dec. 30 to relieve discomfort from bone spurs. "It's just up to me to make shots," said Van Exel, who has made a career-low 30percent of his 3-pointers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i just hope the Spurs avenge the loss in Phoenix and spoil the Nets' run....

you can do it, Spurs!

spursupporter
01-10-2006, 03:33 AM
to hell with carter, bruce will shut him down.

milkyway21
01-10-2006, 03:39 AM
BTW, there's another interesting match-up i forgot to add:

Kidd vs. our hot Spur Parker :D (my 2006 MIP fav)

Tonight: Spurs (26-8) vs. Nets (19-12)

Web Posted: 01/10/2006 12:00 AM CST
San Antonio Express-News

Scouting report: The Spurs have won four consecutive games over New Jersey since Jason Kidd turned down an offer to become their point guard. ... The Spurs had a season-low 10 assists — four fewer than their previous low — Saturday against Phoenix. ... Michael Finley has missed 18 of 26 shots the past three games. ... One night after scoring a season-high 14 points against Minnesota, Bruce Bowen missed all four of his shots against the Suns. He failed to score for the first time in 31 games.

Injuries: Beno Udrih (flu) is questionable:cry.

Sean Marks (sprained left ankle) is out.

Projected inactive list: Marks.

Scouting report: New Jersey's 10-game winning streak is its longest since the team won a franchise-record 14-straight games in 2004. The Nets are averaging 104.5 points on 48 percent shooting during the streak. ... Richard Jefferson played only two minutes Sunday in Toronto before leaving with back spasms. He said after the game he would be ready to play against the Spurs. ... Linton Johnson III, who spent almost all of last season on the Spurs' injured list, has played in six games for New Jersey.

Injuries: Jefferson (back spasms) is questionable.

Projected inactive list: Antoine Wright and Johnson or Jefferson.
Coach: Gregg Popovich Coach: Lawrence Frank
Last meeting: The Spurs beat New Jersey 90-74 on March 8, 2005, at the SBC Center.

Key matchup: Vince Carter vs. Bruce Bowen. Jason Kidd and Tony Parker usually command top billing when the Spurs face New Jersey, but Carter and Bowen should attract plenty of attention tonight. Not only because of their recent history, but also because of Carter's recent play. He had a 42-point performance against Toronto on Sunday and scored 51 against Miami two weeks ago.

During the Nets' 10-game winning streak, he is averaging 33.5 points on 46.6 percent shooting.

P.S.

watch-out for this one=>http://images.sportsline.com/images/basketball/nba/players/60x80/307844.jpg
Nenad Krstic-12.4 ppg; 5.8 rbg; 47% FG

..so who's going to stop Duncan?

Uh huh
01-10-2006, 05:16 AM
The only thing I would bet on is Sequ getting a boner watching Vince Carter playing in tonight's game.

ShoogarBear
01-10-2006, 05:34 AM
The Nets are no joke. Kidd, RJ, and Vince are playing as well as any threesome in the league right now (and better than T, T, and M).

Bowen will have a much harder time with VC than he did with Kobe and AI, simply because Vince has more help.

sa_butta
01-10-2006, 09:38 AM
Vince will get his points, just as any star will. I think Bruce will just try frustrate him enough to get him off his game.

SequSpur
01-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Vince Carter is going for at least 40 tonight.

sa_butta
01-10-2006, 10:12 AM
^^wont mean anything if they lose the game.

polandprzem
01-10-2006, 10:15 AM
Vincent may go for 40 but sequspur is going for 10000 - wow

Btw. Carter can play agains Bruce so I have no idea how Bowen can do something else (?)
I still do not know how to bet.

spursupporter
01-10-2006, 10:29 AM
at the worst, let make carter receive 2 technicals.....

spurjur
01-10-2006, 12:23 PM
At what tyime during the game will Vince Carter get tired of Bruce's defense and create some type of havoc? Give us your feedback and why.

My guess is the third quarter.

lilmads
01-10-2006, 12:35 PM
The third quarter... he'll deal the first half.. and then he'll be pissed off enough

boutons_
01-10-2006, 01:02 PM
Vince got 43 pts in Spurs@Nets last season, Spurs won.
Amare averaged 37 PPG vs Spurs in the playoffs, Spurs won.
Spurs have already been Arenas-ed this season, Spurs lost. (but Tim had horrible night)

Vince's scoring seems to be about as high on the road as @Nets.

I don't really care if Vince gets 10 or 50, as long as the Spurs win, or at least lose with with a respectable effort. 4 Nets starters avg 10+ PPG, with 3 playing 37+ MPG. RJ, 18 PPG, was injured in previous game. Will he play?

Tue Nets, 19 -12
Thu Pistons, 26 - 5
Sat Grizz, 21 - 11

A week of tough, way-above-0.500 playoff opponents, but:

1. all games @ATTC,
2. no B2B (starting with 2 days rest after the PHX fiasco),

... so those excuses aren't available. :)

Spurs fans are left with these excuses:

1. It's January, so WGAF? Make a macho-fan "WGAF statement" and lose all 3 games. :)
2. Tim's hurt.

Will this week be the week the Spurs finally turn the corner and start playing like Champions, or will they continue to limp along on Tim's bad heel, with the Spurs' "improved" depth unable to pick up the slack?

Michael has had 3 crappy scorng and shooting games in a row, 6 PPG, shooting 31%. This would the perfect week for Michael to find his 45% FG scoring groove.

JamStone
01-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Problem is if Bruce shuts down Carter, Richard Jefferson (who said he's playing) can go off on either Finley or Ginobili, as he has a quickness advantage over Finley and size and strength advantage over Ginobili. If Carter is shut down, I expect RJ to have a very big night. But, I suspect that at some point in the game Bruce Bowen may have to switch off on Carter and defend RJ. In which case, more problems for the Spurs.

milkyway21
01-10-2006, 08:19 PM
It's a crime to even compare Bowen to Carter......we didn't say Bruce has to score 45 to win over VC....

we just want to know if you think Bruce can stop Carter's 33+pt /game run and the Nets 10-game winning streak....

:idiot

Horry For 3!
01-10-2006, 10:52 PM
I am really impressed on how Bruce improved on his shooting from everywhere on the floor.

Rummpd
01-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Pretty smart of Pop to put Finley on him for awhile then shift Bowen to him and although Carter got his points he was not overwhelming and actually one could argue Kidd was hotter but Carter took the shots late.

Obstructed_View
01-10-2006, 11:14 PM
Bowen won't stop Carter unless he slides his foot under Carter's...

And no. you won't stop the Nets...winning streak
Whups. Sorry, fucktard.

Leetonidas
01-10-2006, 11:51 PM
Bowen giving Carter consecutive 3-point plays...Wow..

And to top it off with 34 points on Bowen's ass!

You don't know Pop's philosophy.

Recall the last year's series vs. Phoenix...

Amare couldn't be stopped, and Pop knew that and let him excel. They did not let anyone else beat them.

Let Carter make everything and force everyone else to. :smokin

Spurs won, bitch.

Obstructed_View
01-11-2006, 12:01 AM
Bowen giving Carter consecutive 3-point plays...Wow..

And to top it off with 34 points on Bowen's ass!

Actually the L was what topped it off, but thanks for playing.

Solid D
01-11-2006, 12:13 AM
Carter goes 11-29 (.379) and that's with Carter scoring double figures to start the game with Finley on him.

Bruce got played on those 2 three-point fouls. Pop about popped.

SequSpur
01-11-2006, 12:15 AM
Vince Carter could've easily scored 50 but they went away from him for 2 quarters.

Solid D
01-11-2006, 12:20 AM
Actually Carter had 2 guys jocking him all night. A Spur and Sequ.

leemajors
01-11-2006, 12:23 AM
34 points, 29 shots. 6 of those points on bullshit 3 point fouls late... we'll take that any day, as well as the w.

milkyway21
01-11-2006, 12:25 AM
Bowen won't stop Carter unless he slides his foot under Carter's...

And no. you won't stop the Nets...winning streaksorry, man.

your prediction that the Spurs are not capable of bringing back the Nets to earth is not just working at this time...

it's just like the 2004-05 finals prediction from Detroit fans that

the Spurs are not good enough to stop for the Piston's repeat.

Duncan simply :owned Jason Kidd

leemajors
01-11-2006, 12:25 AM
duncan owned carter with that block late.. then promptly got stripped in the post on the other end :/

milkyway21
01-11-2006, 12:40 AM
duncan owned carter with that block late.. then promptly got stripped in the post on the other end :/i think aside from Duncan & Bowen there's another Carter bitch on this team -

how about that block of Rasho on Carter? :lmao

this team is full of VC bitches......