PDA

View Full Version : Brokeback Mountain

Nbadan
01-10-2006, 02:31 PM
http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/images/column/10206/shutout.jpg

Utah Theater Cancels 'Brokeback Mountain'
By Associated Press
32 minutes ago

SALT LAKE CITY - A movie theater owned by Utah Jazz owner Larry Miller abruptly changed its screening plans and decided not to show the film "Brokeback Mountain." The film, an R-rated Western gay romance story, was supposed to open Friday at the Megaplex at Jordan Commons in Sandy, a suburb of Salt Lake City. Instead it was pulled from the schedule.

A message posted at the ticket window read: "There has been a change in booking and we will not be showing 'Brokeback Mountain.' We apologize for any inconvenience."

Cal Gunderson, manager of the Jordan Commons Megaplex, declined to comment.

The film, starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal, is about two cowboys who discover feelings for one another. The two eventually marry women but rekindle their relationship over the years.

The movie's distributor, Focus Features, said that hours before opening, the theater management "reneged on their licensing agreement," and refused to open the film.

Gayle Ruzicka, president of the conservative Utah Eagle Forum, said not showing the film set an example for the people of Utah.

More at link: Comcast (http://www.comcast.net/entertainment/index.jsp?cat=ENTERTAINMENT&fn=/2006/01/08/299303.html)

Brokeback Mountain is having another good financial weekend, but it's running into conflicts with the moral guardians in Rubeland.

Ang Lee's film was abruptly pulled on Friday, 1.7, from the Megaplex 17 at Jordan Commons in Salt Lake City, Utah. The decision was reportedly made late Thurs- day, 1.5, although the word didn't get out until Friday.

The reason appeared to be moral indignation, either on the part of the theatre's Mormon owner, (Utah Jazz Owner) Larry Miller, or...let's be imaginative ...on the part of local rightie bigwigs who put political pressure on Miller.

Regal Cinemas also pulled it in Poulsbo, Washington, according to reports in the Kitsap Sun

ChumpDumper
01-10-2006, 02:52 PM
So these guys basically guaranteed them a Best Picture Oscar.

Oh, Gee!!
01-10-2006, 02:56 PM
Fail to see why this is national news

ChumpDumper
01-10-2006, 03:11 PM
This place only shows family movies like Grandma's Boy and Hostel.

Medvedenko
01-10-2006, 06:19 PM
It can show Hostel, where people are brutally tortured....but have a gay love story is a no no....man this is what's wrong with the US. What the hell is wrong with a frickin movie about two guys falling in love....but a guy ripping flesh off another one is top movie in the country. Hey I'm glad for Hostel, I liked it...but I also liked BBM. It's fucking movie people.

Trainwreck2100
01-10-2006, 06:37 PM
God forbid the owner exercise his right to do whatever the hell he wants to with his product.

ChumpDumper
01-10-2006, 06:39 PM
Sure he can, but is it what he wants or is he knuckling under to outside pressure? He knew the picture was coming out -- it was scheduled to play at his theater.

Oh, Gee!!
01-10-2006, 06:43 PM
hopefully, the distributor sues his ass. I'm sure there losing some $$

Medvedenko
01-10-2006, 06:49 PM
I totally understand his right to exercise the decision not to play this movie...just like I understand the right the KKK has to hate black people, or the right to march against gays or persecute and exploit women. Same thing...

xrayzebra
01-10-2006, 08:05 PM
It can show Hostel, where people are brutally tortured....but have a gay love story is a no no....man this is what's wrong with the US. What the hell is wrong with a frickin movie about two guys falling in love....but a guy ripping flesh off another one is top movie in the country. Hey I'm glad for Hostel, I liked it...but I also liked BBM. It's fucking movie people.

Man, you don't know. It would no good telling you the difference between
men and women. And I understand they really aren't cowboys, but two
sheepherders. Which like I said in another thread, seems very appropriate. :smokin

Ocotillo
01-10-2006, 09:58 PM
http://www.soupnazi.homestead.com/files/larry1.jpg

No movie for you, says the Movie Nazi.

totalspurshomer
01-12-2006, 09:01 PM
I totally understand his right to exercise the decision not to play this movie...just like I understand the right the KKK has to hate black people, or the right to march against gays or persecute and exploit women. Same thing...
Sorry, but not even close to the same thing. Not approving of or not endorsing a lifestyle does not automatically mean that you hate the people that choose to live that lifestyle. I know you're probably making reference to those who grab the headlines with gay bashing, violence against gays, etc. And that is truly reprehensible.

But there's a huge part of the populace that simply "hates the sin, but loves the sinner". If Miller is in that group and chooses not to show the movie, how is that different from those who choose not to go see the movie based on similar beliefs? How does that equate to hate crimes such as burning crosses, hanging people, beating them, etc?

With MLK Day coming up, didn't he teach us protesting was best done peacefully? As in refusing to see the movie...or refusing to show it in your theater?

imNOTgay
01-12-2006, 10:07 PM
those stuckup assholes...:pctoss

Yonivore
01-12-2006, 10:16 PM
Well, you had me until "persecute" and "exploit." I don't believe anyone would argue a person has the right to persecute or exploit...although...exploitation, in and of itself, might be okay...unless, of course, the person being exploited was a minor or of unsound mind.

But, yeah, the theater owner has the right to show, or not show, whatever he wants in his theater -- unless there is a binding contract that obligates him to do otherwise. In which case, it's a "are the consequences worth the trouble" question.

Guru of Nothing
01-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Is NetFlix a publically traded company?

Their database will soon be a goldmine. .... that, and On-Demand (or your local cable provider - not sure how it all shakes out).