PDA

View Full Version : How do you fake being happy/excited for someone?

easjer
01-10-2006, 02:36 PM
For instance: A friend tells you she and her husband are expecting their first child, following a previous miscarriage. She is happy and excited. You are remembering the fight they had two weeks ago when the cops were called, and the rants she's gone on about how he won't quit smoking pot in the house, and how they are over $100K in debt, and how she contacts divorce lawyers every other month.

What do you say? How do you fake being happy? Or do you fake being happy? (note that anything less than a peppy, enthused, OH MY GOD! is considered insincere)

**PS, this scenario happened over a year ago. I was reminded today by a different friend in a wonderful relationship announcing her pregnancy.

angel_luv
01-10-2006, 02:40 PM
If you are happy that she is pregnant you could focus on that.

MannyIsGod
01-10-2006, 02:41 PM
I don't. Nothing worse than having to fake an emotion. Part of being a good friend is not feeding someone a load of BS. IMO.

tlongII
01-10-2006, 02:45 PM
How do you fake an orgasm?

SpursWoman
01-10-2006, 02:45 PM
If you were talking about me, that was about 11 years ago...not just 1 ... and no one had any hesitation telling me how they really felt about it.

:fro :lol

ShoogarBear
01-10-2006, 02:46 PM
How do you fake an orgasm?

I just won my silent bet with myself.

easjer
01-10-2006, 02:56 PM
tlong: I've never had to fake. :lol

I was not happy she was pregnant. She's a good person, but she was not cut out to be a mother and the father said six weeks after his son was born that he wasn't ready to be a father. It was a disastrous situation to bring a child into, and isn't much better now. She was hearing from everyone how terrible it was to be having a child and was really upset that people 'couldn't just be happy for her'. She got 'rid of the negativity' by cutting off people who expressed unhappiness . . . but she needed support in that relationship. So, I just said, WOW and other vague things that could be interpreted multiple ways.

My friend today? I am thrilled for her. She and her husband are wonderful and have been trying for awhile, and she's almost 100% certain to have a girl, and is tickled pink by it. The only issue I have with her is envy that we are not at that point yet.

midgetonadonkey
01-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Ask my girl. She fakes it often.

Summers
01-10-2006, 03:19 PM
It's very stressful and scary to be pregnant, especially if the circumstances aren't ideal. If you can't be thrilled about her situation, try to share her excitement that she's bringing a new life into the world and be supportive (ask her if she needs anything, etc.)

2Blonde
01-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Don't fake it, be straight.
WHy is there a reply from you marked at 3:55pm when it's only 2:22pm? It keeps moving your reply to the end of the line. weird.

Kori Ellis
01-10-2006, 03:24 PM
WHy is there a reply from you marked at 3:55pm when it's only 2:22pm? It keeps moving it to the end of the line. weird.

Because we are fixing something in the database.

SpursWoman
01-10-2006, 03:25 PM
WHy is there a reply from you marked at 3:55pm when it's only 2:22pm? It keeps moving your reply to the end of the line. weird.

I thought it was just me. :oops :lol

2Blonde
01-10-2006, 03:26 PM
Because we are fixing something in the database.Ahhhh.....That makes sense. :spin

E20
01-10-2006, 04:55 PM
Don't fake it, be straight.