PDA

View Full Version : Vanx.....underachieving??

Spurologist
01-10-2006, 04:55 PM
When the spurs got Nick the quick, I thought it was a good move by the spurs. He can consistently hit the 3, penetrate, hit big shots and most importantly handle the ball well and control the offense when TP is either having a bad game, or in foul trouble, too many turnovers etc etc. He could also be in the lineup with Tp if decdies does go small.

Now that he's here, I don't know if he has lived up to the billing. He has had some good games, but it seems that he's a step slow on defense (Nick the not so quick) and his fg% isn't great at 39% (30% from 3s). When he shots poorly, his entire game seems to suffer.

I am basing the fact that he has underachieved on the few games I have watched and his stats, so I could only be telling part of the story. His true value will show later on in the season, but he needs to step up and contribute more.

Kori Ellis
01-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Well I knew he was going to be not so quick - his knees have been bothersome for years. But it would be nice for him to nail some more shots from the perimeter.

Banks91
01-10-2006, 05:03 PM
well, i think the van x signin is working already, considering one of the things this acquisition was supposed to do is light a fire under parkers ass. And i think it's safe to say something has definitely gotten into him

ShoogarBear
01-10-2006, 05:03 PM
I warned about this at the beginning of the year. His career FG% is .405, and he's had five years (not couting this) shooting under 40%. He's not going to score unless he shoots in big volume.

The goal was always that he was going to provide stable backup in the regular season and be Big Shot Nick in the playoffs.

On the positive side, he hasn't squawked about minutes, does what he is asked to do, and is shooting a Spur-like 66% from the line (career low). Way to fit in with the guys, Nick. :)

BigVee
01-10-2006, 05:05 PM
I don't think we have seen him in his role yet. He is only playing 15 minutes a game. I think he is on the team for that playoff game where offense is needed and he can get rolling and carry a team for a quarter. I don't think that will happen during the regular season, at least not this early.

2centsworth
01-10-2006, 05:09 PM
He's a streaky shooter so he needs a lot of shots to be totally effective. However, his ball handling is superb, and he has motivated parker. I'm only disappointed that he didn't come in to camp in better shape.

boutons_
01-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Neither Nick or Michael is shooting very well.

But Nick is a poor shooter, only 40% career and a little lower in playoffs.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/nick_van_exel/index.html

Michael's shooting is really underperforming, FG 44.8% career vs Spurs 40.5%

The generous view would be they are still learning the Spurs system. :)

If you look at their career numbers, Hedo, Brent, and Micheal all have quite worse FG% as Spurs vs their career FG%.

Nick doesn't. Spur or no Spur, he's consistently a 40ish shooter, 2 pts worse the SJax. Maybe Nick is a "clutch" shooter. :)

wildbill2u
01-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Neither Nick or Michael is shooting very well.

But Nick is a poor shooter, only 40% career and a little lower in playoffs.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/nick_van_exel/index.html

Michael's shooting is really underperforming, FG 44.8% career vs Spurs 40.5%

The generous view would be they are still learning the Spurs system. :)

Why be generous? Shooting is not a system, it's a talent. They are both getting all the good open shots they need. It may be rust.

ahb
01-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Production-wise, no. That's about all the Spurs will get out of him, from his role he's playing, and at his age.

But I have no doubt that he'll hit some clutch shots for you as the season goes on.

Oh, Gee!!
01-10-2006, 05:27 PM
He just has to have 2 or 3 big games in the playoffs to be worth his price tag.

SouthernFried
01-10-2006, 06:17 PM
Well...he doesn't turn over the ball much.

tekdragon
01-10-2006, 06:27 PM
We can't judge Nick until the playoffs. In a pivotal playoff game, he'll pull up for a 3 in transition to put the game away, and that'll be what we brought him in for.

Rynospursfan
01-10-2006, 07:23 PM
If Parker gets injured, or decides not to show up for the Finals again. We will need him, until then its hard to tell. Pop is just trying to get him to learn the system, play defense and stay healthy.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-10-2006, 07:31 PM
I think he's not 100%, health-wise. For that reason I won't say I'm disappointed in him. . .yet.

But I definitely have yet to see that confident swagger that I see everytime Horry is on the court.