PDA

View Full Version : Artest Suspended

SAmikeyp
04-19-2004, 03:28 PM
link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2004/news/story?id=1785567)

NEW YORK -- Pacers forward Ron Artest was suspended for Game 2 of Indiana's first-round playoff series with Boston for briefly leaving the bench during an altercation in Saturday's opener, the league announced Monday.

The teams resume their series Tuesday night at Conseco Fieldhouse. Artest played a huge role in Indiana's dominating 104-88 victory over the Celtics in Game 1.

Artest's suspension was announced by Stu Jackson, the NBA's senior vice president of basketball operations.

Artest left the bench during a confrontation between teammate Jermaine O'Neal and Boston's Brandon Hunter and Ricky Davis.

In the second quarter, Hunter grabbed O'Neal and threw him to the floor. O'Neal got up and immediately confronted Hunter, then drew a technical for yelling at Davis.

Artest, who was on the bench at the time, started onto the court when he saw O'Neal lose his composure, but turned and headed back to the bench after about four steps.

"I thought they were about to start fighting," Artest said. "I just wanted to tell Jermaine to calm down. When I sensed they were going to fight, I had to run back."

Artest said he gave a statement to a league official on Sunday morning and was assured that he would not be suspended. He scored 24 points and shut down Paul Pierce for the final three quarters of the Pacers' easy win

The Celtics lobbied hard for a suspension.

Pooh
04-19-2004, 06:18 PM
I'm not going to say I'm shocked, cause I'm not...a rule is a rule...in this case a very bad one. The ones they need to thank are the cry baby Celtics staff, who moaned and bitched. Well whatever...it's just going to piss off the Pacers and make the beat Boston even worse on Tuesday night.

pacersrule03
04-20-2004, 05:22 PM
The Celtics know they are going down, so their trying everything to take us out. They are a bunch of pussies. This one still won't be close, the celtics are just bad. Pacers still win by 15+. JO is pumped, he will drop 30+ points.