PDA

View Full Version : Pierce to the Pistons?

ABDENOUR POWER
01-10-2006, 07:05 PM
Word on the street is that Pierce wants out of Boston to go to a contender. The Pistons message boards are full of rumors about a Rip + Darko for Pierce trade. Whether there's any truth at all behind them, I don't know (I doubt it). But, I thought it was interesting.

Do you think the Pistons should make this offer? From a talent standpoint, I think Detroit would improve a lot. Pierce can create his own shot, is a better outside shooter, better driver, and better defender. He would certainly help stop Detroit's scoring droughts. But if you take into acount the cancer/selfish/etc things, I don't know if its worth it. I s'pose would probably do it .... unless we make some changes I don't see us beating the Spurs.

Thoughts?

Pistons < Spurs
01-10-2006, 07:12 PM
That is absolute crazy talk.

Better shooter?

I'll keep Rip and Darko.

PP may bring a few more rebounds and assists, but last I checked, our team has made the last 2 NBA finals as we are...not to mention the best record in the NBA so far this year.

ABDENOUR POWER
01-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Better shooter?

I should rephrase that. Pierce is a better outside shooter and he is better at creating his own shot.

himat
01-10-2006, 07:25 PM
no way rip is too valuable to the pistons.

Marklar MM
01-10-2006, 08:09 PM
It would be pretty cool to have Pierce, but personally, I would have to do the trade for Tayshaun, not Rip.

Dre_7
01-10-2006, 08:12 PM
I hope they dont do it!

SA Gunslinger
01-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Break up a team that is playing .840 basketball. I say do it.

jochhejaam
01-10-2006, 10:11 PM
We don't have anyone who take Rips place, so thanks but no thanks.

Tay and Darko, hmmm....we could use some rebounding help.

Obstructed_View
01-10-2006, 10:59 PM
A contender that trades for Pierce immediately becomes a non-contender.

FreshPrince22
01-10-2006, 11:24 PM
As much as I'd love to have a guy that can create his shot off the dribble. I think we've got to live and die with these starters. They have great chemistry. Though I do think that it would help us against the Spurs (Bowen would own Pierce less than he owns Rip).

Obstructed_View
01-10-2006, 11:33 PM
Interesting. I thought Billups was pretty good at creating his own shot.

The bottom line is that the Pistons play well because they play good team basketball. Paul Pierce has not demonstrated any sign of being a team player.

Brutalis
01-10-2006, 11:33 PM
Pierce gets shutdown by the Spurs so hopefully the Pistons do this deal.

It'll be easier to whip them in the Finals at least.

Leetonidas
01-10-2006, 11:53 PM
When Pierce goes to the Pistons, they will never beat the Spurs again. :lol

midgetonadonkey
01-10-2006, 11:58 PM
Dumars would be a fucking idiot to pull this trade off. Luckily for Pistons fans he isn't. Pierce is overrated.

T.F. Storm
01-11-2006, 12:04 AM
NO. Not for Tayshaun and not for Rip. The Pistons play as well as they do because they all play team basketball and have amazing chemistry. We don't need to bring in somebody like Pierce to mess it up.

Sense
01-11-2006, 01:37 AM
*imho*, (:lol) pierce to pistons would be Scary for non-pistons

What non pistons?

As a fan I'd love to see the heart of their team leave.

RIP is the only reason that team is where they are at, and if those stupid rumors are true... I'll take em.

Pistons will be the new HEAT team if they get pierce.

mavsfan1000
01-11-2006, 05:42 AM
What non pistons?

As a fan I'd love to see the heart of their team leave.

RIP is the only reason that team is where they are at, and if those stupid rumors are true... I'll take em.

Pistons will be the new HEAT team if they get pierce.

Wow. Rip Hamilton is that good? He definitely is a hard guard but we're talking Paul Pierce here. The guy is borderline a superstar. Maybe not quite but close. I believe it is Billups that is having the mvp like year and the Wallaces will still shut down the middle. I say the Pistons should do it but rather have Pierce come to the mavs.

Extra Stout
01-11-2006, 09:23 AM
Wow. Rip Hamilton is that good? He definitely is a hard guard but we're talking Paul Pierce here. The guy is borderline a superstar. Maybe not quite but close. I believe it is Billups that is having the mvp like year and the Wallaces will still shut down the middle. I say the Pistons should do it but rather have Pierce come to the mavs.
Pierce needs touches to be successful. One of the beauties of the Pistons is that their current guys don't.

There is no reason whatsoever to trade for Pierce. That only appeals to fantasy geeks.

God
01-11-2006, 03:20 PM
Dumars would be a fucking idiot to pull this trade off. Luckily for Pistons fans he isn't. Pierce is overrated.
Once again, you prove that you know nothing.

mavsfan1000
01-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Pierce needs touches to be successful. One of the beauties of the Pistons is that their current guys don't.

There is no reason whatsoever to trade for Pierce. That only appeals to fantasy geeks.
Richard Hamilton has a scorers mentality like Pierce does. Maybe changing the chemistry isn't a good idea but I would take Pierce. Hamilton is having a great year so it is close but Billups and Pierce as guards plus the defense of the Wallaces still would be the best starting lineup in the league. Pierce would get alot of touches with Detroit.

1Parker1
01-11-2006, 04:14 PM
That would be a horrible trade for the Pistons. IMO, when it comes down to it, Pierce and Rip are pretty even talent-wise. Yes, Pierce can create his own shot, but Rip is a better defender, Yes, Pierce is a better outside shooter, but Rip is a dynamic mid-range shooter. Rip has the experience and the chemistry already built in with the team. I don't think the Pistons need to make any changes to their starting 5. They already have the best starting 5 in the NBA, why would you want to trade now?

s'pose would probably do it .... unless we make some changes I don't see us beating the Spurs.

Why do you think that? I'd say each team has a 50/50 chance of winning it this year. Spurs are great (obviously:)), but your undermining the Pistons. They have the talent, experience, and drive to beat the Spurs. If they do meet in the Finals again, it's going to come down to a single, series-changing play or game. They're too evenly matched.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
01-11-2006, 05:15 PM
IMO Pierce is a better defender than Hamilton.

Pierce has more talent than Rip, but would the team mesh as well with PP as they did with Rip?

It's an interesting debate because it isn't as clear cut as many believe...

Why even think of doing this trade? Because as a GM, you are always trying to upgrade talent on your team, make your team better, add different dimensions to your team, etc...

I'd take PP over Rip but it's definitely dicey...

Spurminator
01-11-2006, 05:21 PM
I don't know why you'd even think of touching that starting lineup.

ABDENOUR POWER
01-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Why do you think that? I'd say each team has a 50/50 chance of winning it this year. Spurs are great (obviously:)), but your undermining the Pistons. They have the talent, experience, and drive to beat the Spurs. If they do meet in the Finals again, it's going to come down to a single, series-changing play or game. They're too evenly matched.

Its simple. We played you last year, when we were perfectly healthy, and lost. All Pop needs to do is throw Bowen on Billups and our offense grinds to a halt. Sure we're off to a hot start, but we're relying solely on outside jumpers.

All season we have been victimized by driving guards. Some of that will be helped by Hunter's return, but it would be foolish to think that this problem will just disappear. Parker is constantly getting better, and once he and Ginobili are healthy they can eat the Pistons D alive with their dribble penetration.

The Spurs will be better than they were last season by the time the Finals roll around because of their new bench and TP's improvement. The Pistons will be basically the same as last year. You can argue that the Pistons offense will improve them greatly, and there are some things that I love about it, but I'm still not too impressed. Our offense lives and dies solely on outside jumpers. In a 7 game series against SA, I just don't think that will cut it. Unless we aquire another impact player, I don't like our chances.

Now I doubt that the impact player is PP, but I thought it would make an interesting discussion.

I'm such a pessimist. :lol

Obstructed_View
01-11-2006, 05:57 PM
It figures that you of all people would mistake individual talent for team success. Here's a tip: Rip Hamilton is that good - in the Pistons' system. Rip is the best catch and shoot player in the league. Pierce needs to have the ball in his hands to be useful.

If your team wanted Paul Pierce they should have drafted him, but the GM was in love with big foreign white guys at the time.

theMUHMEshow
01-11-2006, 09:35 PM
Word on the street is that Pierce wants out of Boston to go to a contender. The Pistons message boards are full of rumors about a Rip + Darko for Pierce trade. Whether there's any truth at all behind them, I don't know (I doubt it). But, I thought it was interesting.

Do you think the Pistons should make this offer? From a talent standpoint, I think Detroit would improve a lot. Pierce can create his own shot, is a better outside shooter, better driver, and better defender. He would certainly help stop Detroit's scoring droughts. But if you take into acount the cancer/selfish/etc things, I don't know if its worth it. I s'pose would probably do it .... unless we make some changes I don't see us beating the Spurs.

Thoughts?

What message boards are you hearing that from?

I can tell you it is not going to happen.

Biff Tannen II
01-12-2006, 09:52 AM
Oh, just no way in hell this happens. Take it from a Michigander, it's laughable.