PDA

View Full Version : Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Brutalis
01-11-2006, 02:34 AM
Okay. I'm 21 and have been using a computer on average 3 hours a day since I was 15. In the last month I have noticed pain in the palm of my right hand, (mouse hand), and have felt all the symptoms as they are told here. (http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/carpal_tunnel/detail_carpal_tunnel.htm#49613049)

Obviously I am really concerned now. At first I was thinking, "I'm only 21 no way this is possible", but a month later it's still here.

IS it possible? Should I see a doctor for this?

:depressed :depressed :depressed

*edit.. I did however cut the same palm over a year ago and a small scar remains. Perhaps that has something to do with it. (i hope)

ChumpDumper
01-11-2006, 02:36 AM
Get a trackball.

Brutalis
01-11-2006, 02:37 AM
No idea what that is.

Brutalis
01-11-2006, 02:38 AM
Ohhhh I see. Yeah, I dont really have any money to go buying stuff right now.

StillBorn
01-11-2006, 02:42 AM
Interesting. I have been using a PC a lot for the last 6 years and have not suffered any pains.

Thank goodness. You may want to do more research on the subject.

Brutalis
01-11-2006, 02:48 AM
Interesting. I have been using a PC a lot for the last 6 years and have not suffered any pains.

Thank goodness. You may want to do more research on the subject.

I have but I guess I won't know anything for sure til' I see a doctor.

KEDA
01-11-2006, 02:55 AM
Bowlers are known to get this as well, I had a mild case of it and had to get examined, it cost me a 6 month layoff, and lots of practice with a new release.

and you are never too young for this, I had mine at 19.

Brutalis
01-11-2006, 02:56 AM
How is it treated? Hopefully no surgery?

KEDA
01-11-2006, 03:11 AM
just no bowling

I have seen guys blow up their wrist, that cost them about 2 years off, surgery, and they never threw the ball good again. I know a guy that used to take 3000 miligrams of tylenol before each league session. and he had to have major surgery. He blew every connecting tissue apart, it was real ugly. he was out for about 2 years and he just retired after that.

I doubt that typing on a keyboard will cause it to go to that severity, but those are some worst case scenarios.

My suggestion is to get a keyboard that sits a little more at an angle, also bend at your elbows and keep your wrists straight when you type, and mabye invest the 12 bucks to get a trackball. a simple wrist position change should fix it.

The sone
01-11-2006, 03:11 AM
not treatable...and its forever. muahahahaha!!!

Brutalis
01-11-2006, 03:14 AM
just no bowling

I have seen guys blow up their wrist, that cost them about 2 years off, surgery, and they never threw the ball good again. I know a guy that used to take 3000 miligrams of tylenol before each league session. and he had to have major surgery. He blew every connecting tissue apart, it was real ugly. he was out for about 2 years and he just retired after that.

I doubt that typing on a keyboard will cause it to go to that severity, but those are some worst case scenarios.

My suggestion is to get a keyboard that sits a little more at an angle, also bend at your elbows and keep your wrists straight when you type, and mabye invest the 12 bucks to get a trackball. a simple wrist position change should fix it.

Thanks.

I read that sleeping with an open hand makes it worse? That's odd.

Faccia di Angelo
01-11-2006, 08:23 AM
I think I have this too and I'm only 26. It scares me also. I tend to get a pain around my wrist area down my forearm when I've been on the computer for a long time and the pain lasts for a while. And now I've noticed that when I do other things like styling my hair or shredding paper my fingers go numb. I haven't gone to a doctor yet to get diagnosed or anything but I'm sure thats it. My bestfriend's mom had it and she attributed it to all her years as a data clerk typing away on the computer. So I think you could get it that way. But Keda gave some good suggestions. I bought myself a keyboard that gave me better placement.

SpursWoman
01-11-2006, 09:23 AM
My mom had surgery for that, and I've had similar issues ... it's caused by the repetition of the movement in your hand (if it's not related to your earlier injury). In addition to the above, I believe if you Google search exercises for the wrist...those could help you, too.

They made us do them at a job I had a long time ago to help prevent that particular problem. :)

pache100
01-11-2006, 09:25 AM
I know a guy that used to take 3000 miligrams of tylenol before each league session. and he had to have major surgery.

Forget his wrist. I'm surprised he didn't blow out his liver taking that much tylenol that often. He's a very lucky man if he doesn't still have liver problems somewhere down the road.

SpursWoman
01-11-2006, 09:31 AM
Forget his wrist. I'm surprised he didn't blow out his liver taking that much tylenol that often. He's a very lucky man if he doesn't still have liver problems somewhere down the road.

No kidding...Tylenol is horrendously damaging to the liver. I had a friend many years ago who decided to off herself with an entire bottle....she was in the hospital forever, it seemed. That's one of the worst drugs you could choose if you suck at suicide. :wow :spin

pache100
01-11-2006, 09:34 AM
No kidding...Tylenol is horrendously damaging to the liver. I had a friend many years ago who decided to off herself with an entire bottle....she was in the hospital forever, it seemed. That's one of the worst drugs you could choose if you suck at suicide. :wow :spin

People just don't realize how dangerous it is. It is fine if you use it sparingly and according to directions. But, overdosing, especially on a daily or regular basis is death to your liver. I have a friend in Oklahoma who took tylenol (three or four tablets four or five times a day for years) because of a nagging knee injury (high school football). He messed his liver up so bad, he eventually had to have a liver transplant.

SequSpur
01-11-2006, 09:35 AM
Bowlers have wrist problems because they use extreme wrist action which is abnormal to the function of the wrist.

Same thing with typing, make sure that everything is ergonomically correct.

I would go see the doctor and have it documented, especially if it is work related.

spurjur
01-11-2006, 10:05 AM
My ex had to go to physical therapy for carpal tunnel. She eventually got over it, but it took forever. You should do some exercises to help your wrist out and get it checked out just to be on the safe side.

Brutalis
01-11-2006, 10:38 AM
I think I have this too and I'm only 26. It scares me also. I tend to get a pain around my wrist area down my forearm when I've been on the computer for a long time and the pain lasts for a while. And now I've noticed that when I do other things like styling my hair or shredding paper my fingers go numb. I haven't gone to a doctor yet to get diagnosed or anything but I'm sure thats it. My bestfriend's mom had it and she attributed it to all her years as a data clerk typing away on the computer. So I think you could get it that way. But Keda gave some good suggestions. I bought myself a keyboard that gave me better placement.
Sucks for us.

Vashner
01-11-2006, 10:42 AM
You have to do a couple of things. Proper posture.. proper placement of hand and fingers and use of a trackball instead of mouse (no thumb balls just normal center ball).

Do NOT take the surgery without first trying rehab.

Brutalis
01-11-2006, 10:43 AM
What difference does a trackball make?

SpursWoman
01-11-2006, 10:45 AM
You only need to move your fingers....not your entire wrist. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is basically nerve damage in your wrist caused by the repetitive motion. If you cut down on the wrist motion, you're not perpetuating the problem. :)

Brutalis
01-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Hmm I see.
That's going to be so hard to get used to.

midgetonadonkey
I'm 26 and have been using a computer for about 5-6 hours a day since 1992. I have that shit. I can barely hold a pen for more than a few minutes without getting a sharp pain in my hand all the way up to my elbow and it is very uncomfortable for me to lay my hand flat for more than a few minutes at a time.

midgetonadonkey
I got a trackball about 2 years ago and it helps out a lot.

Brutalis
01-11-2006, 10:47 AM
Wow... thats 3 of us now...

Brutalis
01-11-2006, 10:48 AM
I got a trackball about 2 years ago and it helps out a lot.
Until I get one I am moving my arm in one motion with the mouse.

SpursWoman
01-11-2006, 10:49 AM
The are really weird at first, but you adapt...and may end up liking it more.

But definitely look into the exercises. :)

Vashner
01-11-2006, 10:51 AM
When you hold your hand above the keyboard for typing it should be in a relaxed "curled" posture. With both thumbs resting above the space and index fingers on F and J. When you move your hand to operate the mouse / trackball keep it curled (relaxed) and let the tips of your fingers operate the movement. Avoid using the thumb.

What this will do it keep that carpel straight and not as bent.

Brutalis
01-11-2006, 10:52 AM
I'm all worried and shit now. FUCK I cannot afford this.

Brutalis
01-11-2006, 10:54 AM
When you hold your hand above the keyboard for typing it should be in a relaxed "curled" posture. With both thumbs resting above the space and index fingers on F and J. When you move your hand to operate the mouse / trackball keep it curled (relaxed) and let the tips of your fingers operate the movement. Avoid using the thumb.

What this will do it keep that carpel straight and not as bent.
I am so embarrassed to say this but.

I never learned to type properly. I use my index, and thumb. Over the years I adapted to it and am very quick with it.

:(

Carie
01-11-2006, 11:57 AM
I would definitely see a doctor who can show you the exercises or get you some PT. Stop it before it gets worse. I have it too, and need to do everything I just mentioned. The worse is waking up with the hand completely numb. Being numb you'd think no pain right? Wrong. Truly sucks. Sorry.

TOP-CHERRY
01-11-2006, 01:03 PM
Okay. I'm 21 and have been using a computer on average 3 hours a day since I was 15. In the last month I have noticed pain in the palm of my right hand, (mouse hand), and have felt all the symptoms as they are told here. (http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/carpal_tunnel/detail_carpal_tunnel.htm#49613049)

I found this in your link:

"A 2001 study by the Mayo Clinic found heavy computer use (up to 7 hours a day) did not increase a person's risk of developing carpal tunnel syndrome."

Brutalis
01-11-2006, 01:10 PM
Yes but that study is out-dated.

In almost every website I have found it links CTS to the improper use of a computer. As well as sewing, meat packing, bowling, and packaging.

I just talked to my friend PJ. He had it, the doc said the cause was the computer. He told me his mom got it the same way the doctor told her. He gave me some tips.

But I will surely see a doctor.

hussker
01-11-2006, 02:00 PM
1) Ergonomics are implicated in some instances, but there are other etiologies theroized for CTS.

2) Keeping the Carpal Tunnel OPEN, thereby decreasing the pressure on the median nerve, will help. We prescribe "cock-up" (ok guys have at that one) splints at night and some folks have to wear during the day. Statistics are variable concerning the success and relapse of CTS depending on what literature you read (CNN/NEWSWEEK/FOX, etc...do not count as literature).

Brutalis
01-11-2006, 02:15 PM
??? ???

hussker
01-11-2006, 02:39 PM
IT'S PROBABLY YOUR FUCKING COMPUTER! hahaha!

Brutalis
01-11-2006, 02:51 PM
Okay thanks! :)

iminlakerland
01-11-2006, 03:27 PM
My mom has a severe case of carpal tunnel in both hands. Her right is worse than her left but both are pretty strong cases. She wakes up with numbness in her hands, she gets sharp pains shot up her arms all the way to her elbow and i believe even up to her neck.

There are tests doctors can do involving electrowaves to determine how bad your carpal tunnel is. The doctors recommended surgery for my mother, but she tried rehab, didnt help much, the cortizone shots helped my mom for a while but her pain came back. She refuses to get surgery since the procedure isnt that guaranteed.

My moms carpal tunnel is associated with her years of Knitting, Typing, Sewing and gardening. My mother loves doing all the things that are bad for her wrists lol!

Samr
01-11-2006, 10:23 PM
I wonder if you could get Carpal Tunnel from excessive masturbation. I wonder that, if you have a job which allows for excessive masturbation on the clock, you could get worker's comp while you take time off to recover from surgery and/or learn to use the other hand. I also wonder if getting Carpal Tunnel from excessive masturbation would be something to be proud of.

Or maybe it is a natural hand motion.

All I know is that I spend far too much time on the computer, and I am shamed to admit that getting Carpal Tunnel from my mouse use would in no way decrease my online activity.

midgetonadonkey
01-12-2006, 12:10 AM
I wonder that, if you have a job which allows for excessive masturbation on the clock

I'm sure it's not allowed but I masturbate constantly at work. I go to the restroom and squeeze it out at least 4 times a day. If I get any kind of wrist injury because of it, you can be sure I'm filing an incident report and getting workman's comp for it. I work at a college library and there are nothing but 18-21 year old girls walking around in little shorts or skirts, so the university administration should expect frequent erections. If injury occurs, I think I have a solid case.

Carie
01-12-2006, 12:16 AM
I'm sure it's not allowed but I masturbate constantly at work. I go to the restroom and squeeze it out at least 4 times a day. If I get any kind of wrist injury because of it, you can be sure I'm filing an incident report and getting workman's comp for it. I work at a college library and there are nothing but 18-21 year old girls walking around in little shorts or skirts, so the university administration should expect frequent erections. If injury occurs, I think I have a solid case.
:lol

hussker
01-12-2006, 12:27 AM

NAH...Just flip the hand over...less stress on the wrist...call it "Self Strange"...(Just be careful NOT to punch your chode)

Cant_Be_Faded
01-12-2006, 12:55 AM
My mother has used keyboards and computers for her job for over 20 years and had to have surgery. She agreed, the track ball (if its what i am thinking of) helps TREMENDOUSLY. She refuses to use mouses anymore.

Also, I got the same exact pain in that same exact place during one summer when I played a computer game roughly 10 hours a day for weeks in a row.

Hold your forearms outstretched and keep your hands palm outward at a comfortable stretch, then hands downward at a comfortable stretch. Keep each stretch for ~30 seconds. Do that about 10 times before using a computer. This helped me.

Also, try not to use a computer for long stretches at a time.

If you just start doing any muscularly productive wrist/arm movement it will gradually go away. Unless its a severe pain throughout the day it's not serious...yet..

Vashner
01-12-2006, 01:01 AM
The angle is also very important... Angle of the wrist.

You want it flat at a plane.. not bent up. This means using your arm muscles more.

2Blonde
01-12-2006, 01:26 PM
Brutalis,
I have had the surgery in my right hand for carpel tunnel and I just treat the left hand without surgery. My reasons were that it got so bad that surgery was the only option on my right hand. I had tried all of the non surgical options, and there are some, to no avail. As far as my left hand the non surgical route has worked for me for the last 15 years. I take Aleve twice a day when it flares up and I use a wrist brace to sleep in at night. It keeps your wrist in the proper neutral position which gives the nerves a rest. It's best if you can wear it longer than just at night, but it's hard to work on the computer with it so even if you can just wear it night and maybe when your not on the comp. The ones the sell at the pharmacy that have laces and velcro with an insertable metal hand plate to keep your wrist still are the best. It usually takes me about 3 days of wearing mine before it clears up. Then I don't have another occurrence for 4-5 months.