PDA

View Full Version : What if........

SenorSpur
01-11-2006, 04:43 AM
Watching the game Tuesday night versus New Jersey takes me back to a frightening possibility scenario. What if Jason Kidd had actually signed with the Spurs during the summer of 2003?

I, for one, publicly criticized the Spurs, in this forum, for wanting to sign Kidd. Yes, I heard all of Pop's reasonings as to why it made sense to pursue Kidd. However, their fascination with Kidd never made sense to me for this team. I never bought that "playing Kidd and Parker together" bullshit. Does anyone believe the Nets would have simply allowed Kidd to walk without attempting at least a sign-and-trade for possible compensation?

Sure Kidd was considered the "best PG in the league" at the time. However, the long range effects of signing him would have been horrendous for the franchise. For the simple fact that the Spurs salary structure would have been "blown to shit" with Kidd's 7-year, $90+ million contract.

No doubt Kidd would have added another dimension with his incredible passing and rebounding ability. However the fact is Kidd was not and is still not as good a shooter as Tony. Nor can he get to the rim as easily and as quickly as Tony. Which means he cannot consistently create the open space that Tim and the other shooters need to run the Spurs inside-outside offensive scheme.

Also look at the health risks with Kidd. He's had a bum knee for a couple of seasons and while he's still playing at a reasonably high level, his body is starting to betray him.

Had Kidd signed here, I seriously doubt we'd have secured that 3rd championship and with two superstars (Duncan and Kidd) making close $200 million between them, there's no question the Spurs roster and financial flexibility would have been drastically different. Not to mention, the core group of the team would have been a lot older.

Don't get me wrong, Kidd is still one of the premier PGs in the league and maybe one of the best ever. However Kidd will be in his late 30's by the time his current contract expries. The fact that Tony is on the cusp of an all-star-type year, along with his quickness, scoring prowess and youth, all have made him the better fit for our club. We're all starting the see that upside that was only a glimpse 2 years ago.

With all that said, can we all agree that sometimes the best moves are the ones that either you don't make or that fall through altogether? Seems to me Tony has worked out OK and at a CHEAPER PRICE, I might add.

polandprzem
01-11-2006, 04:54 AM
Kidd can't create space?
What the...

The spurs offense would look difrently. Kidd's abilyty to make else better with Tim's post game wow. I know Kidd is more like a transition guy. Not that good a shooter or a half court like Billups but he gives you an extra rebouding from the guard position and never will be owned on a post defense nor the permieter (he can even guard Kobe.
Having such big and stron PG with all IQ. Well I don't mind his shootingwchich in San Antonio won't be that much of a problem (8 FGA).

SenorSpur
01-11-2006, 04:58 AM
Kidd can't create space?
What the...

The spurs offense would look difrently. Kidd's abilyty to make else better with Tim's post game wow. I know Kidd is more like a transition guy. Not that good a shooter or a half court like Billups but he gives you an extra rebouding from the guard position and never will be owned on a post defense nor the permieter (he can even guard Kobe.
Having such big and stron PG with all IQ. Well I don't mind his shootingwchich in San Antonio won't be that much of a problem (8 FGA).

If you read my passage, I gave Kidd props for both his passing ability and rebounding. Hell, he's one of the best rebounding guards ever (apologies to Fat Lever). While his size and ability to play passing lanes are a distinct advantage, my point is he wasn't the best long-term answer for the Spurs.

BTW, there's no way in hell Kidd can guard Kobe. That's insane.

polandprzem
01-11-2006, 05:03 AM
If you read my passage, I gave Kidd props for both his passing ability and rebounding. Hell, he's one of the best rebounding guards ever (apologies to Fat Lever). While his size and ability to play passing lanes are a distinct advantage, my point is he wasn't the best long-term answer for the Spurs.

BTW, there's no way in hell Kidd can guard Kobe. That's insane.

He guarded him well when they met not long time ago.

You saing long term - okay but he still can play. And we do not know if his injury could happen.
TP still got to learn what is good what is bad on offense.

I agree that his payout would eat Nazr and Finley

Brutalis
01-11-2006, 05:14 AM
TP also needs to learn how to find the open man better. Get those assist stats up.

polandprzem
01-11-2006, 05:25 AM
TP also needs to learn how to find the open man better. Get those assist stats up.
It is not about finding an open guy by a spurs PG. Spurs offense look diffrently. TP goes to TD on the post than Tim thinking thinking thinking than he starting to do something (going to basket, banking or posting up) you don't get an assist for trhat, and when Timmy is doubled he passes the ball to an open guy who can score or penetrate (fakeing or whatever). S9ometimes ball going around the 3pt line (like in Europe) and someone shooting. But all in all you don't get many assist from the PG cause he is one of the options in offens.

Brutalis
01-11-2006, 07:53 AM
It is not about finding an open guy by a spurs PG. Spurs offense look diffrently. TP goes to TD on the post than Tim thinking thinking thinking than he starting to do something (going to basket, banking or posting up) you don't get an assist for trhat, and when Timmy is doubled he passes the ball to an open guy who can score or penetrate (fakeing or whatever). S9ometimes ball going around the 3pt line (like in Europe) and someone shooting. But all in all you don't get many assist from the PG cause he is one of the options in offens.

I see.

DieMrBond
01-11-2006, 08:35 AM
In regards to Kidds shooting, he does always seem to hit them when they matter... add in his rebounding, brilliant passing and court awareness - i dont think we would really be complaining that much if he was on our roster... anyway, im sure like 90% of spurs fans would say they are happy with Parker (especially with his play this year).

Btw Brutalis, love the avatar. One of the best movies ever!

SequSpur
01-11-2006, 08:49 AM
at the time Kidd was the best point guard in the league...... that is why they went after him.