PDA

View Full Version : Walton weighs in- you knew it was coming

Walton Buys Off Me
01-11-2006, 09:15 AM
Last night’s post game comments from Gregg Popovich were long overdue in my opinion. Its high time Pop starts ripping into these primadonnas. I don't care if it's only January- this team has shown absolutely ZERO mental toughness and looks like the furthest thing from a champion. People like Sean Elliott have been saying since October things like "just wait till this team comes together" etc, etc. It's midway through he season already and we're in a dogfight for the Midwest Division Title and do not have home court over the Pistons. That is the reality. We’ve got the deepest, most talented Spurs team in franchsie history and we’re struggling to beat the Nets? Champions don't squeak by inferior opponents- they dismantle them. Watch the New England Patriots. Michael Finley, Nick Van Exel and Brent Barry have been about as collectively effective as a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest. Are these guys ever going to be on the same page? How many more wide open shots can you miss? Tony Parker seems more intent on making the all-star team with his 20 PPG avg. than making his teammates better. Memo to Tony- your assist totals should be higher than your turnover totals. You're not a clutch player, will never be a clutch player, stand aside and watch Ginobili make the big shots please and stop embarrassing yourself against top notch competition. He's been thoroughly dominated down the stretch of the last two games by Steve Nash and Jason Kidd. Our rebounding has been suspect, to say the least. We're giving up a ridiculous amount of offensive rebounds on a nightly basis- teams are simply not afraid anymore to challenge our bigs- this is a concern. We need to instill some fear in the opponent, not hope.

I think it's time for Gregg Popovich to establish a rotation and stick with it. I truly believe that Nazr Mohammed should be our starting center. He's not going to get better playing 7 minutes a night. Rasho Nesterovic cannot be effective against a tough, physical team, which is what the playoffs are all about- that has been proven time and time again. Manu Ginobili needs to be a starter again- the Michael Finley experiment has been a failure. Finley has been invisible for the past two weeks. As far as Van Exel goes, I'm still waiting for something- anything. Right now, he's less efficient than Beno Udrih was for us a year ago.

The Pistons come to town tomorrow night in the biggest game of the season. If the Spurs roll over and die like they did in Detroit on Christmas Day, then it's time for a wakeup call.............Peter Holt, you listening?

SequSpur
01-11-2006, 09:37 AM
Rasho Nesterovic cannot be effective against a tough, physical team, which is what the playoffs are all about- that has been proven time and time again.

You're wrong, Rasho blocked Vince Carter

Sincerely,

Tpark

SequSpur
01-11-2006, 09:43 AM
I disagree somewhat. The Spurs have mostly lost to sorry ass teams which is simply the lack of showing up to the game or mental toughness? I just think they don't give a shit and they take their losses because over an 82 game season they are going to lose.

They have dropped a few to the elite, but that's okay, that is to be expected.

They can't play on back to backs... are they really that old?

What concerns me is the lack off fluidity in the offensive sets. They don't have a go to play that scores 60% of the time. Parker's jump shot is still suspect.

I agree with the Nazr take. Rasho is a joke. I like Finley starting and Ginobili coming off the bench... It really worked last night when Gino came in and dropped a few 3s, a layup, a few steals, etc...

He really got the Spurs going when Carter was dropping dimes on them like a lottery team.

Popovich is to blame. He is the coach and these guys can't run a simple pick or screen or anything...

As for rebounds? Rasho is the problem and the fact that rebounding is not a priority to the defense... Driving the opponent to the second line of defense is.. you can't have everything.

Senator Joseph McCarthy
01-11-2006, 09:51 AM
This is the exact reason I've favored the use of nuclear force against Canada. The extreme cold causes what doctors call "brain frost", whose symptoms are rather similar to mental retardation. We must lock down our borders, both real and electronic!

austinfan
01-11-2006, 10:19 AM
I agree with pretty much everything you say, Walton. I know Finley and Van Exel are having to learn the Spurs defense, which has probably taken away some of their focus on their shooting, but shouldn't we be seeing at least some improvement in their offense by now? I see signs of that in Finley, but Van Exel? And I'm kind of torn at the moment about Manu coming off the bench: on the one hand, it's nice to have that burst of energy he provides after the opposing team thinks they've gotten into a comfortable groove with us, but, otoh, I want the Spurs to come out making a statement right away in the first 5 minutes to the other team, that we will dominate them and play for keeps every step of the way, and no one on the Spurs (with the exception of Bowen) delivers that message as strongly as Manu.

spurjur
01-11-2006, 10:27 AM
I agree with Walton. The Spurs need to wake up. This "its just regular season" crap needs to end. The best record gets home court advantage and the Spurs are almost unbeatable at home, which would serve well for the Spurs. However, they must get it into gear right now to get the best record to secure that home court advantage.

I am not saying the Spurs suck or anything like that, but they are not playing up to their level. They have a good record and all, but we all know they can be playing a lot better than what they are right now. Its not about 70+ wins. Its about putting fear into your oponents and securing home court throughout the playoffs to give your team the advantage and best opportunity to win another NBA Championship.

SenorSpur
01-11-2006, 10:42 AM
I agree with Walton. The Spurs need to wake up. This "its just regular season" crap needs to end. The best record gets home court advantage and the Spurs are almost unbeatable at home, which would serve well for the Spurs. However, they must get it into gear right now to get the best record to secure that home court advantage.

I am not saying the Spurs suck or anything like that, but they are not playing up to their level. They have a good record and all, but we all know they can be playing a lot better than what they are right now. Its not about 70+ wins. Its about putting fear into your oponents and securing home court throughout the playoffs to give your team the advantage and best opportunity to win another NBA Championship.

I also agree to a point. The Spurs are the defending champions and as such need to start developing a level of consisstency. In both their play and their attitude. While the defense is coming around, I'm still waiting on that precise offensive execution that has become a Spurs staple.

Right now the Pistons are the ones who look like the defending champs.

I believe in order to dispatch tough, physical teams, like the Pistons, Nazr will be the the guy in the middle. There's no way we beat the Pistons in the NBA Finals without his contribution.

1Parker1
01-11-2006, 10:48 AM
The reason our offense looks like crap is because no one outside of of Tim, Tony, Manu, and even Bruce to an extent have been doing much these past couple of games. Brent, Finley, NVE (yes, I know he's hurt), even Nazr are not really producing well offensively. The only reason we've managed to win the games is due to our top 4.

vanvannen
01-11-2006, 10:50 AM
I agree with mostly everything said on this thread. (Wow, Sequ could actually do some insight!)
I'd rather have Gino as a starter, but that's just me, it's not the big picture. I think this team needs to start imposing themselves, start showing THEY are the team to beat, like they are the NBA CHAMPIONS.
Otherwise, May is gonna be too late and the respect will be long gone.

leemajors
01-11-2006, 11:08 AM
the spurs have never put fear into their opponents. they play their game, and other teams know what to expect. i wouldn't worry about them unless they fall apart on the rodeo road trip. that is when the spurs usually gel as a team, and is their toughest test before getting to the playoffs. if something is still wrong then, then there's a legit gripe. as of now, with the record they have, there is small reason to piss and moan.

Budkin
01-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Everything Walton said. I'm glad pop ripped into the guys last night. It's time to stop playing like a bunch of pansies and start crushing other teams. Not only is this the deepest Spurs team of all time, it's one of the deepest NBA teams ever assembled. There is no good reason for not being at the top of the league right now. And ditto to starting Nazr. We would not have won it all last year without him.

T Park
01-11-2006, 11:30 AM
And ditto to starting Nazr

What has he done lately to warrant it exactly??

Waiting for an answer, and dont give me "Well last year in the playoffs"

Last year was last year.

T Park
01-11-2006, 11:31 AM
then it's time for a wakeup call

What wake up call.

Fire pop??

Yup, fire the best coach in the game today.

Peter Holt are you listening??

Lol

talk about overrating yourself.

T Park
01-11-2006, 11:32 AM
As far as Van Exel goes, I'm still waiting for something- anything.

Miss the game last night did you genius?

T Park
01-11-2006, 11:33 AM
He's been thoroughly dominated down the stretch of the last two games by Steve Nash and Jason Kidd.

Parker 18 points 4 assists 6 rebounds

Kidd what, 16 7 and 7?

Ohhh wow, just THROUGHLY DOMINATED!!!

YES!!!

What a fuckin chode.

vanvannen
01-11-2006, 02:50 PM
Last year was last year.

Yeah, last year you quit on the Spurs. Now you are the fucking Messiah of the Silver & Black.

travis2
01-11-2006, 03:15 PM
Parker is doing his job just fine.

Nazr is not a starter.

That is all.

Spurminator
01-11-2006, 03:58 PM
He's been thoroughly dominated down the stretch of the last two games by Steve Nash and Jason Kidd.

Uh, Jason Kidd was 1-5 with 3 turnovers and one assist in the Fourth Quarter.

Worst take ever.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-11-2006, 04:11 PM
I disagree with everything Walton said.

I didn't read his post. I didn't have to.

1Parker1
01-11-2006, 04:17 PM
I disagree with everything Walton said.

I didn't read his post. I didn't have to.

:lol :lol EHJ, you should do a counter-post that negates everything he's just said :)

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-11-2006, 04:38 PM
:lol :lol EHJ, you should do a counter-post that negates everything he's just said :)

I already have. . .SPAM! :)

TwoHandJam
01-11-2006, 04:39 PM
TP may not have been "dominated" by Kidd in the fourth but something surely prevented him from stepping up down the stretch.

10:03 67-72 Tony Parker enters the game for Nick Van Exel

* Tony disappears for 6 minutes *

4:05 71-83 Tony Parker defensive rebound
3:58 71-83 Jason Collins blocks Tony Parker's 4-foot jumper
3:26 73-83 Tony Parker offensive foul (Nenad Krstic draws the foul)
1:32 75-85 Tony Parker misses 20-foot jumper

Pretty forgettable if you ask me. Parker has been pretty disappointing in crunch time these past two games. He's also averaged 6 TO/game against two good pgs. Not so great.

SouthernFried
01-11-2006, 05:19 PM
I think we should start using Finley like Detroit uses Rip. I don't like seeing Finley go 1 on 1... but, coming off a screen for a quick shot seems to fit him, similar to Hamilton. Getting Finley has been one of the better moves Pop has made...I just think we could use him better.

Nick doesn't show me much..except he doesn't turn over the ball. Which in itself, makes him better the Beno.

And, if you've been watching Nazr...you know this guy is playing good. He's not getting any minutes, and I don't understand it. Every time he's on the court, he's active, and being a force in the middle. Ya, he still misses some defensive assignments, and that seems to be the reason he gets pulled so quickly from games. Quicker than anyone else on the team who misses an assignment. Makes me think there's something else going on with Nazr and Pop.

Rasho does a little better off the ball than Nazr. If you notice, half the reason Parker makes so many layups, is because Rasho is "blocking" for him inside. Rasho does some good things...but, I'd still like to see Nazr getting more minutes. Nazr can do more.

Still, this team's greatness ultimately lies with 2 people...Manu and Timmy. Timmy's playing hurt. There are games you see him moving well, and games you don't. Manu can set the tone for our team better than anyone else, an Argentinian energizer bunny. How healthy those 2 are in the end, will determine our chances at repeating more than anything else...imho ;)

sanman53
01-11-2006, 06:42 PM
Everyone caught regularseasonhorryitis.

Haha, nice one!

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Pop didn't do what he did last night because of our recent play (albeit that was convenient), he did it with an eye towards our next game.

Dre_7
01-11-2006, 06:57 PM
What has he done lately to warrant it exactly??

Waiting for an answer, and dont give me "Well last year in the playoffs"

Last year was last year.

I wish he would get a chance to show someting. But Unfortunately, its hard to get into any kinda of rhythm with sporatic minutes. Im sick of him getting 5,6,7 minutes a night, with a 10-15 minute night on rare occasions.

Maybe if he was given minutes, he would preform like he did last year. Remember, he didnt do much before Rashos injury, cuz he didnt have time. But than, Rasho gets hurt, Nazr gets minutes by necessity, and BOOM! He has a great end of season and playoffs.

Obstructed_View
01-11-2006, 07:04 PM
The season is over. Here come the Mavs. Kiss home court good bye. Amare will be back. The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

beirmeistr
01-11-2006, 07:34 PM
Last night’s post game comments from Gregg Popovich were long overdue in my opinion. Its high time Pop starts ripping into these primadonnas. I don't care if it's only January- this team has shown absolutely ZERO mental toughness and looks like the furthest thing from a champion. People like Sean Elliott have been saying since October things like "just wait till this team comes together" etc, etc. It's midway through he season already and we're in a dogfight for the Midwest Division Title and do not have home court over the Pistons. That is the reality. We’ve got the deepest, most talented Spurs team in franchsie history and we’re struggling to beat the Nets? Champions don't squeak by inferior opponents- they dismantle them. Watch the New England Patriots. Michael Finley, Nick Van Exel and Brent Barry have been about as collectively effective as a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest. Are these guys ever going to be on the same page? How many more wide open shots can you miss? Tony Parker seems more intent on making the all-star team with his 20 PPG avg. than making his teammates better. Memo to Tony- your assist totals should be higher than your turnover totals. You're not a clutch player, will never be a clutch player, stand aside and watch Ginobili make the big shots please and stop embarrassing yourself against top notch competition. He's been thoroughly dominated down the stretch of the last two games by Steve Nash and Jason Kidd. Our rebounding has been suspect, to say the least. We're giving up a ridiculous amount of offensive rebounds on a nightly basis- teams are simply not afraid anymore to challenge our bigs- this is a concern. We need to instill some fear in the opponent, not hope.

I think it's time for Gregg Popovich to establish a rotation and stick with it. I truly believe that Nazr Mohammed should be our starting center. He's not going to get better playing 7 minutes a night. Rasho Nesterovic cannot be effective against a tough, physical team, which is what the playoffs are all about- that has been proven time and time again. Manu Ginobili needs to be a starter again- the Michael Finley experiment has been a failure. Finley has been invisible for the past two weeks. As far as Van Exel goes, I'm still waiting for something- anything. Right now, he's less efficient than Beno Udrih was for us a year ago.

The Pistons come to town tomorrow night in the biggest game of the season. If the Spurs roll over and die like they did in Detroit on Christmas Day, then it's time for a wakeup call.............Peter Holt, you listening?
Well said. I too agree that the Spurs are playing without energy except for a few players. Everyone keeps saying that the Spurs are so deep--one of the deepest teams in recent history. If they are so deep, why do they have to relegate a starting Allstar to bail them out from the bench?
Start the same 5 from last year. Get serious about each game. Home court advantage is important, and you get home court advantage by being focused, as our arch enemies the Pistons appear to be.

SpursIndonesia
01-11-2006, 10:51 PM
Uh, Jason Kidd was 1-5 with 3 turnovers and one assist in the Fourth Quarter.

Worst take ever.

Somebody got OWNED
:lol

Walton Buys Off Me
01-12-2006, 11:25 PM

Has there ever been a post more bang on? I hate to toot my own horn but this should be printed up and hung in the Spurs lockerroom.

travis2
01-13-2006, 07:35 AM
:rolleyes

Idiot...