View Full Version : Case Closed - Parker's an All-Star

Manu20
01-12-2006, 12:47 PM
By Emmett Shaw
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Jan 12, 2006, 01:06

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_15675.shtml

Case Closed - Parker's an All-Star

The Spurs’ current three-game split of opponents Phoenix, New Jersey, and Detroit marks a tough mini-series of games that highlights Tony Parker’s readiness for an All-Star berth. The Suns’ Steve Nash, the Nets’ Jason Kidd, and the Pistons’ Chauncey Billups already are where Parker wants to go, and more.

Tony’s three rivals these last few days are not just All-Stars but current and former MVP candidates. Nash even won the award last season. The universe is in balance though. Tony has won the ring – has two of them. His dynamic counterparts combined have one.

On the other hand, Parker has Tim Duncan on his team. Hence when we asked Jason Kidd whether it was time for Tony to play in Houston this February 19th, Jason just said, “He’s playing very well.” No slight intended. Kidd, who as usual has winning games more on his mind, isn’t about to take sides.

Indeed Tony’s right to the berth isn’t clear cut, but it is cut. Cut of an amazing .534 shooting percentage that is exceeded only by Kevin Garnett among the NBA’s top 40 scorers. When an outstanding player dominates in a major category, that’s his “in” to the game.

Ben Wallace and Shawn Marion dominate the glass. Tony has his points in the paint, a category which he leads, even at 6-2 and 180. Besides, he leads Nash and Kidd in scoring and only is a couple of tenths behind Billups. This isn’t saying Tony is an MVP. The brilliant Nash outplayed him in a Suns home victory last Saturday, and Steve usually gets the best of the matchup, but not by terribly much.

Kidd also showed his stuff in scoring 15 versus the Spurs to go with 8 rebounds, 6 assists, 4 steals, showcasing a better handle and a more circumspect knowledge of passing angles than Parker. But Tony was zip-quick, more maneuverable, and outscored Jason (as he often does), missing only 4 FGAs. San Antonio won 96-91 while the Nets rarely let Kidd try to guard Parker, a wise move that occurred to Byron Scott midway through the Finals of 2003.

In short, Parker has looked like he belongs on the same floor with the game’s top trio of PGs. Next installment – now comes Chauncey tonight in the Alamo City. Like Kidd, Billups (202) has the size and power factor in his favor against Tony. But Parker has shown the defensive versatility to move over and check 6-6 Rip Hamilton, who leads the two-time Eastern champs in scoring.

Expect Billups and Kidd to join Allen Iverson, Dwyane Wade and Gilbert Arenas on the Eastern team, which should be favored to win the usually guard-dominated All-Star game. Nash will represent the West, and be helped by Kobe Bryant and Tracy McGrady, whose back injury doesn’t appear to jeopardize his playing.

The West needs someone to get up and down with AI and his mates, and push it back at them. Parker has the speed and the game to do it. His outside shot isn’t very good, but the West is loaded with great shooters – Nash, Kobe, T-Mac and Dirk Nowitzki, plus perhaps Baron Davis and/or Ray Allen.

The game will come down to whether Kobe, Tracy, Marion, Carmelo Anthony and Jason Richardson (or Allen) can keep LeBron James, AI, Wade, Kidd, Arenas and Vince Carter from producing a highlight tape.

There really figure to be two open spots on the West squad that Tony and a short list of players must fill. Here are your locks: Garnett, T-Mac, Yao Ming, Kobe, Nash, Dirk, Tim, Carmelo, Marion and Elton Brand should be in. Richardson, Allen and Baron Davis join Tony as candidates for the last two members.

You probably can’t go wrong with any pair of the four on the list, as long as Parker is included. First of all, he’s earned it. Second of all, the East has such a spectacular squad that the West must have Tony’s quickness available.

The West will have a sharpshooters’ chance, but at all costs needs to avoid getting embarrassed by an Eastern track-meet to the hoop, complete with outrageous triple jump competitors dunking it down from the top of the square.

LilMissSPURfect
01-12-2006, 12:52 PM
By Emmett Shaw
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Jan 12, 2006, 01:06

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_15675.shtml

Case Closed - Parker's an All-Star

The Spurs’ current three-game split of opponents Phoenix, New Jersey, and Detroit marks a tough mini-series of games that highlights Tony Parker’s readiness for an All-Star berth. The Suns’ Steve Nash, the Nets’ Jason Kidd, and the Pistons’ Chauncey Billups already are where Parker wants to go, and more.

Tony’s three rivals these last few days are not just All-Stars but current and former MVP candidates. Nash even won the award last season. The universe is in balance though. Tony has won the ring – has two of them. His dynamic counterparts combined have one.

On the other hand, Parker has Tim Duncan on his team. Hence when we asked Jason Kidd whether it was time for Tony to play in Houston this February 19th, Jason just said, “He’s playing very well.” No slight intended. Kidd, who as usual has winning games more on his mind, isn’t about to take sides.

Indeed Tony’s right to the berth isn’t clear cut, but it is cut. Cut of an amazing .534 shooting percentage that is exceeded only by Kevin Garnett among the NBA’s top 40 scorers. When an outstanding player dominates in a major category, that’s his “in” to the game.

Ben Wallace and Shawn Marion dominate the glass. Tony has his points in the paint, a category which he leads, even at 6-2 and 180. Besides, he leads Nash and Kidd in scoring and only is a couple of tenths behind Billups. This isn’t saying Tony is an MVP. The brilliant Nash outplayed him in a Suns home victory last Saturday, and Steve usually gets the best of the matchup, but not by terribly much.

Kidd also showed his stuff in scoring 15 versus the Spurs to go with 8 rebounds, 6 assists, 4 steals, showcasing a better handle and a more circumspect knowledge of passing angles than Parker. But Tony was zip-quick, more maneuverable, and outscored Jason (as he often does), missing only 4 FGAs. San Antonio won 96-91 while the Nets rarely let Kidd try to guard Parker, a wise move that occurred to Byron Scott midway through the Finals of 2003.

In short, Parker has looked like he belongs on the same floor with the game’s top trio of PGs. Next installment – now comes Chauncey tonight in the Alamo City. Like Kidd, Billups (202) has the size and power factor in his favor against Tony. But Parker has shown the defensive versatility to move over and check 6-6 Rip Hamilton, who leads the two-time Eastern champs in scoring.

Expect Billups and Kidd to join Allen Iverson, Dwyane Wade and Gilbert Arenas on the Eastern team, which should be favored to win the usually guard-dominated All-Star game. Nash will represent the West, and be helped by Kobe Bryant and Tracy McGrady, whose back injury doesn’t appear to jeopardize his playing.

The West needs someone to get up and down with AI and his mates, and push it back at them. Parker has the speed and the game to do it. His outside shot isn’t very good, but the West is loaded with great shooters – Nash, Kobe, T-Mac and Dirk Nowitzki, plus perhaps Baron Davis and/or Ray Allen.

The game will come down to whether Kobe, Tracy, Marion, Carmelo Anthony and Jason Richardson (or Allen) can keep LeBron James, AI, Wade, Kidd, Arenas and Vince Carter from producing a highlight tape.

There really figure to be two open spots on the West squad that Tony and a short list of players must fill. Here are your locks: Garnett, T-Mac, Yao Ming, Kobe, Nash, Dirk, Tim, Carmelo, Marion and Elton Brand should be in. Richardson, Allen and Baron Davis join Tony as candidates for the last two members.

You probably can’t go wrong with any pair of the four on the list, as long as Parker is included. First of all, he’s earned it. Second of all, the East has such a spectacular squad that the West must have Tony’s quickness available.

The West will have a sharpshooters’ chance, but at all costs needs to avoid getting embarrassed by an Eastern track-meet to the hoop, complete with outrageous triple jump competitors dunking it down from the top of the square.

carmelo a lock? enlighten me...my head is up the spurs a$$

TDMVPDPOY
01-12-2006, 01:01 PM
Watta load of shit, CP is putting up better numbers then TP, and CP is doin the load for NOH, and no one expected them to win games this season.

ChumpDumper
01-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Watta load of shit, CP is putting up better numbers then TP, and CP is doin the load for NOH, and no one expected them to win games this season.So Paul is an All-Star and Tony isn't?

JamStone
01-12-2006, 01:21 PM
It would be a shame if Parker didn't make the all-star team. He definitely deserves it this year.

If Chris Paul wasn't a rookie, I think he would be an all-star.

I don't know about Carmelo Anthony or Shawn Marion as all-star locks. There are just too many good forwards in the West.

STARTERS:

Steve Nash
Kobe Bryant
Tracy McGrady
Kevin Garnett
Yao Ming

RESERVES:

Tony Parker
Jason Richardson (likely him or Ray Allen)
Dirk Nowitzki
Tim Duncan
Marcus Camby (Shaw fails to realize that there must be at least ONE more center on the team besides Yao)

TWO LAST SPOTS:

Elton Brand (good bet on getting one of the spots)
Pau Gasol (it would be a shame if he isn't picked)
Shawn Marion (if I were to choose on this list, he'd probably be the other one I'd pick)
Carmelo Anthony (in no way should he be considered a lock)
Ray Allen (may get the coaches' pick over J-Rich)
Rashard Lewis (has better numbers than last year, when he was named an all-star)
Baron Davis (Parker has played better this year)
Mehmet Okur (should really get mentioned as one of the other few quality centers in the WC)

Despot
01-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Nash will represent the West, and be helped by Kobe Bryant and Tracy McGrady, whose back injury doesn’t appear to jeopardize his playing.

As most of us know, T-mac is listed as a forward this year.

Medvedenko
01-12-2006, 01:26 PM
TPark should be in the all-star game. I believe if he was where Chris Paul is he would be putting up big numbers.

boutons_
01-12-2006, 01:31 PM
"So Paul is an All-Star and Tony isn't?"

If the criteria are "great stats" and "making your team/mates better", CP must be considered. He's probably already leading for ROY.

Tony's first year was nowhere near as good a Chris's is.

ChumpDumper
01-12-2006, 01:40 PM
Tony's first year was nowhere near as good a Chris's is.And Tony wasn't an All-Star then, so what?

Paul is good. Probably ROY. All-Star? Nope.

Despot
01-12-2006, 01:48 PM
If Paul were out of the league tomorrow, there would not be much of an impact in the NBA, except for the Hornets. Lose Parker and Eva doesn't go to the games anymore!!! What could be worse than that???

boutons_
01-12-2006, 01:54 PM
If CP progresses in 4 years the way Tony has and lasts as long as a Kidd, CP will be a HoFer.

CP is one amazing player for a rookie PG. Chris has the advantage of all the athleticism that Tony lacks.

I'm a huge Tony fan. Tony may be even more admirable than Chris since he's accomplishing so much without a Chris Paul/TJ Ford level of athelticism. Tony is also extremely lucky to have been a Pop protege. Of course, Pop is just as lucky to have Tony. :)

1Parker1
01-12-2006, 01:56 PM
Someone stole Boutons password...he's being positive and saying something nice about the Spurs! ::wow :spin

Despot
01-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Well, I guarantee that Chris Paul will be in Houston all star weekend, barring injury.

Despot
01-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Oh yeah, Lakers suck!

ChumpDumper
01-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Well, I guarantee that Chris Paul will be in Houston all star weekend, barring injury.Bold.

Beno made it last year too....

boutons_
01-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Boutons/Boutons_ talks crap about the Spurs when the Spurs play like crap.

When the Spurs like The Spurs Way (the "good" Spurs way), he says so.

How does Boutons_ feel about tonight?

Well, if the @PHX fiasco is any indication of how badly the Spurs want to win against top teams in January ....

Despot
01-12-2006, 02:17 PM
Bold.

Beno made it last year too....

Hmmmm.....anyone think Beno will make the JV game??

FromWayDowntown
01-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Boutons/Boutons_ talks crap about the Spurs when the Spurs play like crap.

When the Spurs like The Spurs Way (the "good" Spurs way), he says so.

How does Boutons_ feel about tonight?

Well, if the @PHX fiasco is any indication of how badly the Spurs want to win against top teams in January ....

"boutons/boutons_" in the third person?

:rolleyes

boutons_
01-12-2006, 03:29 PM
" "boutons/boutons_" in the third person?"

picky, picky. How about first person plural?

"We" are royally amused.

Manu20
02-08-2006, 09:57 PM
Bumb!

:smokin

JamStone
02-08-2006, 10:13 PM
p

SequSpur
02-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Tony Parker is the best player on the Spurs.

ZStomp
02-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Tony Parker is the best player on the Spurs.

If duncan remains the way he has been playing...then maybe

SequSpur
02-08-2006, 10:16 PM
If duncan remains the way he has been playing...then maybe

Parker is the only reason the Spurs aren't .500.

Duncan is a role player.

ZStomp
02-08-2006, 10:17 PM

Duncan is a role player.

I too have been disappointed in his play this year. With or without his foot injury.

Marklar MM
02-08-2006, 10:19 PM
That foot injury is a bitch to play with. Rasheed had it. It won't get any better until the offseason. Every game, he is just re-aggravating it. Painkillers are the only way to play anywhere near full effectiveness.

TwoHandJam
02-08-2006, 10:21 PM

Duncan is a role player.
Yeah, we looked real impressive without Tim on the road tonight. The Raptors never had a chance. :rolleyes

ZStomp
02-08-2006, 10:23 PM
Go Tim Go!

SpursWoman
02-08-2006, 10:24 PM
p

:lol

SequSpur
02-08-2006, 10:24 PM
The only problem with Parker is tonight, he ran the clock down then went into gamewinning mode and deferred to Bowen who was guarded by 2 Raptors instead of just shooting a jumper or taking it to the hole.

Fuck, if he is going to do that then give the ball to Manu to win it.

exstatic
02-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Parker owned tonight. No one makes the right decision every time down the floor. I like Mike James a lot, but Tony was making better decisions on a regular basis. James outscored him by 4...on 9 more shots. Tony also dished more dimes.

yeahone
02-08-2006, 10:47 PM
well after tonights [erformance if he does hot get voted in the ASG shoud be boycotted

SequSpur
02-08-2006, 10:49 PM
Parker owned tonight. No one makes the right decision every time down the floor. I like Mike James a lot, but Tony was making better decisions on a regular basis. James outscored him by 4...on 9 more shots. Tony also dished more dimes.

Parker needs to keep it next time.

sanman53
02-09-2006, 08:40 AM
If Paul were out of the league tomorrow, there would not be much of an impact in the NBA, except for the Hornets. Lose Parker and Eva doesn't go to the games anymore!!! What could be worse than that???

I agree, I want to see Eva at the Allstar game this year!

Phenomanul
02-09-2006, 09:01 AM
I agree, I want to see Eva at the Allstar game this year!

Will she show up with Foxx is the question???

SAGambler
02-09-2006, 12:00 PM

Duncan is a role player.

Can't argue with that.. But even more than that, I think what makes TP All Star Material, is that he can play the game he has to, with or without Tim on the floor..

He plays the half court game with Tim in there, but if the need arises to run and gun, TP can run and gun with the best of em....

I think Tony could put up 30 almost every night, if he decided to. But that's not the way the Spurs play.

If you look at the stats TP has put up this year, and the way he has at times put the team on his back, instead of Tims, to win games, I fail to see how he cannot be picked for the ASG...

Now, that being said, IMO, ASGs are just one more chance to get injured, and I'm not real crazy about seeing any of our players compete there.. Especially with the roll the Spurs are on right now...