PDA

View Full Version : Using The IRS To Target The Poor

Nbadan
01-12-2006, 02:56 PM
I.R.S. Limited Tax Refunds of Poor, Congress Is Told
By DAVID CAY JOHNSTON
Published: January 10, 2006

Tax refunds sought by hundreds of thousands of poor Americans have been frozen and their returns labeled fraudulent, blocking refunds for years to come, the Internal Revenue Service's taxpayer advocate told Congress today.

The taxpayers, whose average income was $13,000, were not told that they were suspected of fraud, the advocate said in her annual report to Congress. The advocate, Nina Olson, said her staff sampled suspected returns and found that, at most, one in five was questionable.

A computer program selected the returns as part of the questionable refund program run by the criminal investigation division of the Internal Revenue Service. In some cases, the criminal division ordered that taxpayers be given no hint that they were suspected of fraud, the report said.

Most of the poor people whose returns the computer flagged as fraudulent were seeking the earned income tax credit, a benefit for the working poor. The credit can return all of the income taxes and Social Security taxes withheld from the paychecks of poor people. Without the credit, many poor people coming off welfare and going to work would receive less money because of taxes taken out of their paychecks and the loss of health benefits, I.R.S. data and other government documents show.

The average refund sought was $3,500, which under the rules for obtaining the credit means that the vast majority of those suspected of fraud were single parents or married couples with children. The maximum benefit for singles is less than $400.

Ms. Olson said the I.R.S. devoted vastly more resources to pursing questionable refunds by the poor, which she said cannot involve more than $9 billion, than to a $100 billion problem with unreported incomes from small businesses that deal only in cash, many of which do not even file tax returns.

Ms. Olson, whose job Congress created eight years ago to argue for the interests of taxpayers, also said the top priority for the tax system must be simplification. She said the tax system is so complex that millions of people have difficulty complying and can get in trouble for subtle mistakes, while those with aggressive advisers can manipulate the system to escape paying taxes they owe.

NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/10/business/10cnd-tax.html?hp&ex=1136955600&en=534a1252599c223f&ei=5094&partner=homepage)

I know that Congress will remedy this problem immediately because the Republicans are the party of the people. Yeah, and it's snowing in hell.

:hat

RobinsontoDuncan
01-12-2006, 03:27 PM
indeed, this needs to be addressed, unfortunatly the american people are to unintelligent to actually vote for policy...they vote on cultural (southern) and "moral" (christian fundamnetalist) grounds

gtownspur
01-12-2006, 03:53 PM
This seems like an agency/computer/statistical error. There were some fradulent acts by those lower income and not so low income that caused many good people to lose their tax returns.

THe Ny times seems to have made this a congressional problem( which in essence now is, but not the cause).

Great spin.

xrayzebra
01-13-2006, 11:16 AM
It can all be said in three words: Earned Income Credit. What a rip-off of
tax money. People who don't pay taxes, get refunds. Wonder why anyone would
try to get a little slice of the "free" pie?

Phenomanul
01-13-2006, 12:34 PM
It can all be said in three words: Earned Income Credit. What a rip-off of
tax money. People who don't pay taxes, get refunds. Wonder why anyone would
try to get a little slice of the "free" pie?

Some people actually need that credit... don't fall into the trap of labeling all poor people as fraudulent tax-evaders.

xrayzebra
01-13-2006, 01:35 PM
Some people actually need that credit... don't fall into the trap of labeling all poor people as fraudulent tax-evaders.

Oh I wouldn't do that. You cant evade what you don't pay. But I will
label them as tax takers, okay? :angel

FrankWhite
01-13-2006, 02:24 PM
I.R.S. Limited Tax Refunds of Poor, Congress Is Told
By DAVID CAY JOHNSTON
Published: January 10, 2006

NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/10/business/10cnd-tax.html?hp&ex=1136955600&en=534a1252599c223f&ei=5094&partner=homepage)

I know that Congress will remedy this problem immediately because the Republicans are the party of the people. Yeah, and it's snowing in hell.

:hat

If the people are cheating? I don't care what their financial status is. 20% fraud is enough to rememdy a 9 billion dollar problem. and who says the gov't is not going after the small business 100billion dollar problem as well? little by little, problems get fixed. i don't care where the dam is leaking, fix ALL the leaks. being a smaller problem does NOT justify stealing money from ALL OF THE PEOPLE.