PDA

View Full Version : the reason why the spurs have looked bad vs. the pistons

zocool16
01-12-2006, 11:08 PM
let's put it into perspective. the pistons are not this much better than the spurs but why is it looking like the spurs have no business even playing them? well the pistons lost at home to utah and then they come to san antonio and beat them. does that make any sense? no. i think at this point it's about matchups and effort. i believe the pistons really wanted these games a lot more than the spurs. the spurs started to want it as much as the pistons did when it was too late. rebounding is killing the spurs against the pistons, everyone on detroit is tall and/or with long arms. the spurs need to put more effort on rebounding or put some tall people in (maybe nazr). also i think its better if we don't see detroit in the playoffs... i mean its just about matchups..detroit is built to beat the spurs while other teams have a better rebounding edge on these pistons (miami)... i think at this point the pistons are better than the spurs but make no mistake about it. their shots went down tonight (that will not happen everynight). i think the spurs will learn a lot about effort, heart, and pride for the next time they play them.

i want to play the pistons again. this doesn't happen again.

Kori Ellis
01-12-2006, 11:09 PM
Rebounding differential of 24+ .. that's why the Spurs looked bad against the Pistons in their two games this season.

Brutalis
01-12-2006, 11:10 PM
Regular season Spurs and Playoff Spurs are two different teams.

That's all there needs to be said.

booggerg
01-12-2006, 11:11 PM
i think the spurs will learn a lot about effort, heart, and pride for the next time they play them.

Wow a team that has won 3 championships in recent years still needs to learn about effort, heart, and pride? Sounds like a group of dipshit players to me...

Amuseddaysleeper
Regular season Spurs and Playoff Spurs are two different teams.

That's all there needs to be said.

you can def. say the same thing about the pistons and thats what makes them MUCH scarier

doldrums
We need a rebounder plain and simple, everything else is alright(once Finley emerges from his slump.

THE X-FACTOR
01-12-2006, 11:13 PM
A focused Pistons team that plays defense and rebounds is hard to beat, Prince NEVER rebounds this well and Sheed was on fire, he didn't even need a tech to fire him up. Both losses to Utah were fatigue, lack of energy and intensity related. If they were playoff games no way the Pistons give up 14 point leads in both games.

ShoogarBear
01-12-2006, 11:13 PM
I don't think the rebounding difference is something that's going to go away even with better effort.

The only two guys the Spurs have who can hope to match up physically with Detroit's front line are Duncan and Nazr.

That's not a lot of depth.

zocool16
01-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Wow a team that has won 3 championships in recent years still needs to learn about effort, heart, and pride? Sounds like a group of dipshit players to me...

well buddy, thats what makes the difference between the spurs being the champs and detroit being the champs. the spurs will never be too proud not to admit that they have a deficiency, they're always a work in progress. We're not that proud not to admit that the Pistons kicked our asses effort wise

DarkReign
01-12-2006, 11:15 PM
Jesus Christ!

Please ignore the idiots.

They do not represent us very well.

doldrums
01-12-2006, 11:17 PM
We need to find a rebounder. Hint: you won't find that person on the present Spurs squad.

SouthernFried
01-12-2006, 11:20 PM
Why the Spurs looked so bad, and sooo lost, is 100% because of coaching.

We have the talent...but, the only guys who could do anything offensively, did it because they went 1 on 1. Manu, Parker, Nick. Finley's not a 1 on 1 player, so can't be as productive with no set plays for him. Hell, even Bowen had to go 1 on 1 to make his couple of points.

Parker had 0 assists...coaching.
Outrebounded by 20+...coaching.
Finley having 0 points...coaching.

Defense is great..but, you have to score as well.

Detroit has the best of both worlds. They had Larry Brown last year teaching Defense...and Chip this year focusing on Offense. And it sure as hell shows.

Spurs offensive sets are a joke. No movement, and when they do move, it's like they have no clue. A few top side picks for Parker and Ginobli..and thats about it. Very few inside picks and movement to get guys open.

It's time for the coaches to start designing more effective offensive sets.

FreshPrince22
01-12-2006, 11:30 PM
It's the quickness/athleticism of the front court.

Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, Antonio McDyess, Tayshaun Prince, Maurice Evans, Carlos Delfino.

-vs-

Rasho, Tim Duncan, Bruce Bowen, Nazr, Finley, Horry

That's a huge difference in quickness and athleticism up front. And the newfound movement in the Pistons offense (getting the Spurs bigs out of position) is exposing it. I'm sure Pop will figure something out though. It will likely be a compromise between less help defense and more rebounding. Plus the Spurs always double team Tayshaun off of one of the bigs inside which leaves them out of place when a shot goes up. You can't take a body off those guys.

That's just my take though.

Warlord23
01-12-2006, 11:38 PM
Spurs' rebounding and defensive rotations were bad today: How many times did they try to double someone and Rasheed got a wide open dunk. This also resulted in Detroit getting offensive board after offensive board.

But like Kori said, no point in discussing defense if they're gonna score 68. I really hope they pick up their 3 pt shooting soon. It sucks ass now; in last year's playoffs our 3-shooting made a big difference.

Rescueone
01-12-2006, 11:46 PM
Spurs' rebounding and defensive rotations were bad today: How many times did they try to double someone and Rasheed got a wide open dunk. This also resulted in Detroit getting offensive board after offensive board.

But like Kori said, no point in discussing defense if they're gonna score 68. I really hope they pick up their 3 pt shooting soon. It sucks ass now; in last year's playoffs our 3-shooting made a big difference.

I agree with what these two said!! :tu :tu

romsho
01-12-2006, 11:46 PM
It's the quickness/athleticism of the front court.

Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, Antonio McDyess, Tayshaun Prince, Maurice Evans, Carlos Delfino.

-vs-

Rasho, Tim Duncan, Bruce Bowen, Nazr, Finley, Horry

That's a huge difference in quickness and athleticism up front. And the newfound movement in the Pistons offense (getting the Spurs bigs out of position) is exposing it. I'm sure Pop will figure something out though. It will likely be a compromise between less help defense and more rebounding. Plus the Spurs always double team Tayshaun off of one of the bigs inside which leaves them out of place when a shot goes up. You can't take a body off those guys.

That's just my take though.

Excellent take FreshPrince 22. I'm not sure, however, there is anything for Pop to figure out as far as matching up with the Piston bigs. It's a personnel issue. With the present roster, the Spurs are going to have to be far more perfect in every other aspect of the game to make up for the disparity in length and athleticism. One thing to be outrebounded, a complete other to be destroyed with by well over 20 boards in two straight contests. Deep trouble.

JamStone
01-12-2006, 11:47 PM
"the reason why the spurs have looked bad vs. the pistons"

The Detroit Pistons are a pretty good team and played well against the Spurs.

GOBLUEADAM
01-13-2006, 02:02 AM
The real reason why you can't beat us, is three point shots! Last year, we weren't allowed to shoot 3 pointers, and Larry Brown didn't like to defend the 3 pointers! Our scouting reports said that the Spurs didn't shoot a lot of 3's, and played hard and played the right way! But in the finals, the Spurs killed the Pistons with 3 pointers. This season, we defend the 3 and shoot the 3 very very well! And the Spurs CAN NOT BEAT THE PISTONS, just shooting two's! You are reduced to a three man team, and the Pistons play five strong!
And add this, you have NO CHEMISTRY with your backup guards. Van Exel and Findley are good players that basically only shoot the 3, but can't make the 3, and are easily bulled and shot over by the Piston guards. And when you have Findley, Van Exel, Horry, and Parker, who can't play defense, you look bad against the Pistons. Not playing Bowen down the stretch didn't help either! But tonight, you could've put Vince Young on Rip Hamilton, and it would not have made a difference!
SEE YOU IN JUNE!

DOMINATE, INTIMIDATE!
DETROIT BASKETBALL!

Jeremie Harris
01-13-2006, 02:13 AM
The Pistons have looked great in sweeping the Spurs this season, to say the least. That being said, however, the Spurs are obviously right there with the Pistons as the 2 best teams in the league. It would be a shame if these teams did not meet in the Finals again this year. Props to the Spurs for their consistent high level of play over the past few years, and also to the majority of you Spurs fans for being very classy. I love my Pistons and always hope they kick your butts, but I have nothing but respect for San Antonio. May the best team prevail at the end of the season.

mavsfan1000
01-13-2006, 03:10 AM
Gotta love the piston fans. They say it how it is.

Dingle Barry
01-13-2006, 03:10 AM
GOBLUEADAM's post is terrifyingly accurate.

Solid D
01-13-2006, 03:18 AM
Several first posts from new members I see. Some who make sense, some full of pre-All-Star game testosterone.

The Pistons took it to the Spurs tonight. Spurs are still finding their way and only 60% of their offense put in so far for the new players. The Pistons really wanted to win this game and they did in the 1st and 3rd quarters in grand fashion (Spurs actually outscored the Pistons in the 2nd and 4th). Arroyo was out but the Pistons starters played 85% of the minutes tonight. Three bench players played. They really wanted to win this game and the effort showed.

The Spurs had a more traditional minutes distribution for them at this stage of the season:

T. Parker G 35:26.........C. Billups G 41:08
M. Finley G 19:11.........R. Hamilton G 42:31
T. Duncan F 38:31........R. Wallace F 43:19
B. Bowen F 28:57..........T. Prince F 39:36
R. Nesterovic C 23:56....B. Wallace C 37:12
M. Ginobili 28:49..........C. Delfino G 6:52
R. Horry 22:59.............A. McDyess F 15:29
N. Van Exel 21:58........M. Evans G 14:11
B. Barry 07:46
N. Mohammed 05:41
F. Oberto 04:53
B. Udrih 01:53

Hopefully, the Spurs and Pistons will meet again in June. Don't expect the Spurs to easily give up the Larry O'Brien trophy.

GOBLUEADAM
01-13-2006, 04:32 AM
Thanks for the congrats! If we're gonna change this league for the better, create Celtic vs Fakers in the 80's type series and drama, WE NEED EACH OTHER! I totally respect the Spurs and you great fans, what you stand for, PLAYING THE RIGHT WAY! I'm gonna pull for the Pistons just like you do for the Spurs, but I will always call it like I see it! But ladies and gents, not even I can call it right for the both of the Motor City Kittys, the Tigers and Lions!!
Go Lions and take the Tigers with you! Say, you guys want a football and baseball team?

See you in June!

Nbadan
01-13-2006, 04:35 AM
Eh, the Pistons are good, but they sure have a lot of eggs in their basket.

It's a long season and a even longer post season.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
01-13-2006, 04:39 AM
Eh, the Pistons are good, but they sure have a lot of eggs in their basket.

28 so far...

Nbadan
01-13-2006, 04:43 AM
28 so far...

:lol

Unfortunately in the NBA the most well-rounded teams don't always win. That's why teams spend millions on superstars - they get the respect.

mavsfan1000
01-13-2006, 04:46 AM
:lol

Unfortunately in the NBA the most well-rounded teams don't always win. That's why teams spend millions on superstars - they get the respect.

The Pistons beat both the Lakers (Shaq and Kobe) and the Heat (Shaq and Wade). So much for that theory that you need a superstar to win a championship. :lol

01-13-2006, 04:48 AM
The Pistons beat both the Lakers (Shaq and Kobe) and the Heat (Shaq and Wade). So much for that theory that you need a superstar to win a championship. :lol

Don't forget AI, JKidd, JO, etc.

Nbadan
01-13-2006, 04:50 AM

The Lakers were finished after the WC Finals, and we both know Shaq and Wade are not a well rested Shaq and Kobe, sorry.

I'm not saying that Detriot is a bad team, I'm just saying that they are a very vulnerable team.

01-13-2006, 04:52 AM
The Lakers were finished after the WC Finals, and we both know Shaq and Wade are not a well rested Shaq and Kobe, sorry.

I'm not saying that Detriot is a bad team, I'm just saying that they are a very vulnerable team.

As are the Spurs...

And the Heat...

And the Mavs...

And the Suns...

Nbadan
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
Eh, if the Spurs lose Manu, Tony or Tim they're out, but if Detriot loses Ben, Prince, Rasheed, Billups or Hamilton they're out. Now I can't predict that both teams are gonna meet again in the playoffs, it's too soon for that, but I will predict that if they do meet in the Finals, the health of one of the above 8 players will have a tremendous effect on what happens in the series.

01-13-2006, 05:11 AM
Add BB to that list as well...

Health always plays a major role in the playoffs...

FreshPrince22
01-13-2006, 05:17 AM
Arroyo was out but the Pistons starters played 85% of the minutes tonight. Three bench players played.

The Spurs had a more traditional minutes distribution for them at this stage of the season:

I would say the Spurs minutes were a bit more "untraditional". Starting SG only playing 19 minutes, while 2 backup guards played over 21? And you're forgetting, the Pistons' starting lineup isn't "traditional". It's not "traditional" to have 5 players that provide equal value to a team. The Pistons tend to use a "playoff like" rotation against tough teams on the road.

Also, we didn't have a backup PG (Hunter, injured; Arroyo, Suspended), so we had a whacky rotation. Tayshaun had to play PG for a good strech.

I do think they played a bit too many minutes, but some people are unaware that these national games have extra long TV timeouts that give players more rest. We also tend to play the starters more on the road because our young bench still struggles with inconsistancy on the road. They need the home crowd to feed off of at this point. Hopefully that changes.

MI21
01-13-2006, 05:25 AM
I would say the Spurs minutes were a bit more "untraditional".

Solid said that the minutes were traditional for the Spurs at this time of the year. As I'm sure you seen in this game, some of the rotations and minute selection for players the Spurs have during the regular season over the years is quite mind boggling.

I've always wished Pop would establish a set rotation a lot earlier than 10 games before the postseason.

GrandeDavid
01-13-2006, 05:43 AM
Several first posts from new members I see. Some who make sense, some full of pre-All-Star game testosterone.

The Pistons took it to the Spurs tonight. Spurs are still finding their way and only 60% of their offense put in so far for the new players. The Pistons really wanted to win this game and they did in the 1st and 3rd quarters in grand fashion (Spurs actually outscored the Pistons in the 2nd and 4th). Arroyo was out but the Pistons starters played 85% of the minutes tonight. Three bench players played. They really wanted to win this game and the effort showed.

Hopefully, the Spurs and Pistons will meet again in June. Don't expect the Spurs to easily give up the Larry O'Brien trophy.

The Pistons' starters log some heavy minutes and we all know that this marathon "pre-season", i.e. the NBA 82 game regular season is, indeed, wearing. Can they hold up throught, not to mention through a potentially grinding 28 game postseason?

FreshPrince22
01-13-2006, 05:54 AM
The Pistons' starters log some heavy minutes and we all know that this marathon "pre-season", i.e. the NBA 82 game regular season is, indeed, wearing. Can they hold up throught, not to mention through a potentially grinding 28 game postseason?

Well, minute by minute they are playing less than last year as a whole. And the Pistons are hardly grinding through the regular season like they used to. Last year, the Pistons had to break out suffocating defense (Which takes a ton of energy) against pretty much any team to win. This year, they're only using it in certain situations, or in big games (Spurs for example). This year they can rely on the offense to get them through meaningless games (which is why we are statistically a mediocre defensive team). Thus, the minutes they're playing are less draining. That's just my take though.

Solid D
01-13-2006, 10:02 AM
The Suns played 2 bench players, low minutes, last week versus the Spurs. The Pistons played 3 bench guys. The Spurs try to keep Manu under 30 min. per game during the season. The minutes analysis is meant to point out that both teams (Suns and Pistons) really adjusted to win those games. They were "statements". If the Spurs and Suns/Pistons have the same record at season's end, taking a season series means more than just making a statement.

The Spurs have their method of figuring things out. It's kind of ugly right now.

FreshPrince22
01-13-2006, 10:11 AM
The Suns played 2 bench players, low minutes, last week versus the Spurs. The Pistons played 3 bench guys. The Spurs try to keep Manu under 30 min. per game during the season. The minutes analysis is meant to point out that both teams (Suns and Pistons) really adjusted to win those games. They were "statements". If the Spurs and Suns/Pistons have the same record at season's end, taking a season series means more than just making a statement.

The Spurs have their method of figuring things out. It's kind of ugly right now.

Lindsey Hunter was out with an injury (should be back in a couple of games), and Arroyo was serving his 1 game suspension. The Pistons had no backup point guard. OBVIOUSLY they had to adjust the rotation. Outside of Arroyo being gone due to suspension though, the minutes were about normal. It was just that everyone else was adjusted up slightly due to missing our only backup PGs.

ctpsb
01-13-2006, 10:18 AM
I am hearing all the explanations, but weren't we all (including myself) saying these same things last month after the first loss? Also with all the injuries I thought that was why Tim and Manu rested this summer? They seem worse off now that at this time last year.

JamStone
01-13-2006, 10:19 AM
Make no mistake about it, the Pistons starters play a lot of minutes, and more minutes to many of the fans' liking. That is a direct reflection of the trust that the coaching staff has in the Pistons bench, as well as the faith they have in the Pistons starters. The Pistons that need to watch themselves most in terms of fatigue towards the end of the season and in the post-season are Tayshaun Prince and Ben Wallace, primarily because in the playoffs they will prospectively have the most arduous defensive tasks (Vince Carter, Dwyane Wade, Manu Ginobili for Prince and SHAQ for Ben). While Tayshaun has logged heavy minutes so far this season, Flip has made a concerted effort to rest him a little more lately with Carlos Delfino. However, in big games, as the one against the Spurs, Prince will play more minutes. As for Ben, his health and conditioning will be tested as well. Flip must also make a concerted effort to give Dale Davis minutes as the season progresses in order to not only rest Ben, but to begin his conditioning of Dale Davis in preparation of the playoffs.

The Spurs have the luxury of having bench players that are proven. While they may not always play up to expectation, their career resumes have shown they deserve minutes and are capable of production. Nick Van Exel, Michael Finley, and Robert Horry afford the Spurs to never really overplay their starters or stars. Yet Duncan, Parker, and Bowen still have logges almost as many minutes as the Pistons starters. Taking injury into consideration, it just proves that the best players on the team will still log heavy minutes.

When it comes to the playoffs, every team is fatigues to a certain extent. Each team has its share of bumps and bruises. Fatigue may be a factor. But, as in last year's NBA Finals, I think the fatigue Detroit showed, especially in first two games, was more attributable to the Indiana and Miami series more so than the heavy regular season minutes. Even if the Pistons starters are better rested this year at the beginning of the post season, if they have two long (6 or 7 game) series before the finals, they will still show effects of fatigue. Just as will San Antonio if they have two grueling series against say Dallas and Phoenix.

Supergirl
01-13-2006, 10:22 AM
The real reason why you can't beat us, is three point shots! Last year, we weren't allowed to shoot 3 pointers, and Larry Brown didn't like to defend the 3 pointers! Our scouting reports said that the Spurs didn't shoot a lot of 3's, and played hard and played the right way! But in the finals, the Spurs killed the Pistons with 3 pointers. This season, we defend the 3 and shoot the 3 very very well! And the Spurs CAN NOT BEAT THE PISTONS, just shooting two's! You are reduced to a three man team, and the Pistons play five strong!
And add this, you have NO CHEMISTRY with your backup guards. Van Exel and Findley are good players that basically only shoot the 3, but can't make the 3, and are easily bulled and shot over by the Piston guards. And when you have Findley, Van Exel, Horry, and Parker, who can't play defense, you look bad against the Pistons. Not playing Bowen down the stretch didn't help either! But tonight, you could've put Vince Young on Rip Hamilton, and it would not have made a difference!
SEE YOU IN JUNE!

DOMINATE, INTIMIDATE!
DETROIT BASKETBALL!

WHoa there, settle down.
1. Spurs have some of the best 3 point shooters in the NBA - in fact, they have the best 3 point shooter in Bowen right now. But last night they weren't fallen, which made it easier for Detroit to just collapse in on guys in the paint. The Spurs won't shoot 3's as badly as they did last night in the playoffs.

2. SPurs have no chemistry? If anything, they have too much chemistry - they're all lovey-dovey and Finley and Van Exel are fitting it famously. What they need is guys to challenge each other a little more.

3. Parker is one of the better defending PGs in the league, and apparently played excellent D on Billups last night, as people reported during the commentary while the game was on.

4. Rip had a good game last night. But Bowen still owns him. He hasn't had a good game against the Spurs in a long, long time, mostly because of Bowen. But if you recall, last year in the Finals when Billups was guarded by Bowen, Parker held his own against Rip pretty well as well.

Extra Stout
01-13-2006, 10:25 AM
I am hearing all the explanations, but weren't we all (including myself) saying these same things last month after the first loss? Also with all the injuries I thought that was why Tim and Manu rested this summer? They seem worse off now that at this time last year.
Despite being rested, Tim and Manu have still been banged up this year. Manu will be fine. Tim will struggle with the plantar fasciitis all season.

I don't think we can rationalize this loss away. Simply playing harder isn't going to erase a -25 rebounding differential. Most of that is because outside of Tim Duncan, the Pistons' interior players are vastly superior to the Spurs'. The Spurs will have to find a way to win in spite of that.

At best, Parker will cancel Billups out. The deficiency inside will have to be overcome with superhuman performances by Duncan and Ginobili. It remains to be seen whether Duncan is capable of that this season. With Ginobili, it depends upon health.

Perfect10
01-13-2006, 12:50 PM
SPurs have no chemistry? If anything, they have too much chemistry - they're all lovey-dovey and Finley and Van Exel are fitting it famously. What they need is guys to challenge each other a little more.

That is NOT the kind of chemistry that people were referring to. Who cares if guys are "all lovey-dovey"? This isn't a soap opera. Love and affection isn't what makes a lineup dominant.

The brand of chemistry that makes a lineup dominant (and the chemistry that GOBLUEADAM was referring to) is when the bench players know their role and effectively play their role...AND successfully compliment the abilities and on-court personalities of the starters.

I just don't see that kind of chemistry brewing from the new additions of Finley and Van Exel.

Rydia
01-13-2006, 01:17 PM
SEE YOU IN JUNE!

DOMINATE, INTIMIDATE!
DETROIT BASKETBALL!

Wow! You are a good fan....Thanks for coming on our board and NOT being obnoxious! We will see you in June...and as everyone know the Spurs will be prepared.
We had injuries tonight. Our Field Goal Percentage sucked...as soon as everything comes together like it always does it will be a real game

Solid D
01-13-2006, 01:28 PM
FreshPrince, I hear you, you're right. I know the Pistons didn't have a backup PG. I mentioned that they didn't have Arroyo so I'm with you 100% there. The Pistons still adjusted their minutes for the starters in order to play well against the Spurs.

The Pistons continue to do what they have been doing all season by playing at a very high level and stepping up in crunch time when they need to do so. The Spurs obviously have some things to figure out before they get to the end of the regular season.

wildbill2u
01-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Rebounding differential of 24+ .. that's why the Spurs looked bad against the Pistons in their two games this season.

Detroit is simply more athletic and physical than we are on the front line. We will continue to lose to them if we can't rebound better.

Last year in the finals, Nazr played a big part in rebounding, but he's not getting the minutes now--and when he does, he's been pretty ineffective. I don't know how Pop sorts that out in the matchups, but what we're doing now isn't working.

wildbill2u
01-13-2006, 01:44 PM
I would say the Spurs minutes were a bit more "untraditional". Starting SG only playing 19 minutes, while 2 backup guards played over 21? And you're forgetting, the Pistons' starting lineup isn't "traditional". It's not "traditional" to have 5 players that provide equal value to a team. The Pistons tend to use a "playoff like" rotation against tough teams on the road.

Also, we didn't have a backup PG (Hunter, injured; Arroyo, Suspended), so we had a whacky rotation. Tayshaun had to play PG for a good strech.

I do think they played a bit too many minutes, but some people are unaware that these national games have extra long TV timeouts that give players more rest. We also tend to play the starters more on the road because our young bench still struggles with inconsistancy on the road. They need the home crowd to feed off of at this point. Hopefully that changes.

I don't think Pop was playing around with the minutes like this was a preseason game. He had to know that this game might help determine home court advantage which we desperately need against the Pistons.

He just couldn't find any answers anywhere on the squad. Maybe there aren't any.

1Parker1
01-13-2006, 02:11 PM
I'm still in shock that Rasho played 23 minutes and grabbed only 4 rebounds. No excuse for that at all. :(

pache100
01-13-2006, 02:24 PM

I had one continuing thought during the game last night..."We have met the enemy...and they are US". The Spurs were beaten at their own game - defense. In other words, if the Spurs are "a group of dipshit players", the Pistons must, be, too; the similarities are uncanny. And, when you get right down to the bottom line...the Pistons didn't even beat the Spurs, the Spurs beat the Spurs.

Both losses to Utah were fatigue, lack of energy and intensity related.

Ok. But, but that's gotta cut both ways. We get laughed at and sniped at when we say the same thing about the Spurs (I'm not saying YOU do it, but other Pistons fans certainly do).

Edwardo
01-13-2006, 03:08 PM
Utah matchue up with us very well. And they beat us. But at least we don't play them again.

But the Spurs need to start Ginobli. This is a bit ridiculous. You can face those other weak teams in the West in your current condition but if you want to beat Miami and Detriot you need to start Ginobli. And even Nazr, eventhough he cheats.

leemajors
01-13-2006, 04:15 PM
Utah matchue up with us very well. And they beat us. But at least we don't play them again.

But the Spurs need to start Ginobli. This is a bit ridiculous. You can face those other weak teams in the West in your current condition but if you want to beat Miami and Detriot you need to start Ginobli. And even Nazr, eventhough he cheats.

you might wanna change your favorite team to detroit there, your post was confusing till i noticed you were not a spur fan :fro

itzsoweezee
01-13-2006, 04:15 PM
here are the problems:

1. nesterovic is playing too much and contributing nothing.

2. finley has no business starting. he was supposed to be a minor role player and that's what he should be now.

3. after all these years, popovich still has no idea whatsoever what an NBA offense is supposed to look like.

4. the rotation is completely stupid.

5. no mental toughness on this team. that's been the spurs MO for YEARS. only one person to blame for that: popovich.

there is no excuse for this lineup to come away with anything less than the championship. the spurs and popovich should be feeling really emabarassed right about now. somehow, i have a feeling that they're still not taking things seriously.

leemajors
01-13-2006, 04:17 PM
pop is cia pop, but he can't magically wave a wand and make his players mentally tough. that has to come from within. i seriously doubt pop is mentally weak and is a little more upset about the spurs play last night than us fans are.

itzsoweezee
01-13-2006, 04:22 PM
pop is cia pop, but he can't magically wave a wand and make his players mentally tough. that has to come from within. i seriously doubt pop is mentally weak and is a little more upset about the spurs play last night than us fans are.

i could accept that if it was one or two players that were not with it. but this has been a plague on the spurs for years. and it doesn't just pertain to a couple players. i know that these guys are professionals, but anyone who's played organized sports knows that if the players are not mentally prepared, it's the coach's fault for not getting them to be where they need to be.

leemajors
01-13-2006, 04:49 PM
mentally weak players don't come out in the 4th quarter of game 7 of the nba finals and turn a deficit into a 7 point victory.

itzsoweezee
01-13-2006, 05:42 PM
mentally weak players don't come out in the 4th quarter of game 7 of the nba finals and turn a deficit into a 7 point victory.

that's exactly my point. it's not the players that is the problem.

himat
01-13-2006, 05:43 PM
let's put it into perspective. the pistons are not this much better than the spurs but why is it looking like the spurs have no business even playing them? well the pistons lost at home to utah and then they come to san antonio and beat them. does that make any sense? no. i think at this point it's about matchups and effort. i believe the pistons really wanted these games a lot more than the spurs. the spurs started to want it as much as the pistons did when it was too late. rebounding is killing the spurs against the pistons, everyone on detroit is tall and/or with long arms. the spurs need to put more effort on rebounding or put some tall people in (maybe nazr). also i think its better if we don't see detroit in the playoffs... i mean its just about matchups..detroit is built to beat the spurs while other teams have a better rebounding edge on these pistons (miami)... i think at this point the pistons are better than the spurs but make no mistake about it. their shots went down tonight (that will not happen everynight). i think the spurs will learn a lot about effort, heart, and pride for the next time they play them.

we should meet you again. my prediction before the season started was pistons in 7 rasheed mvp, it's sliding towards 6 games because the pistons have shown they can really beat down the spurs on the road.

himat
01-13-2006, 05:45 PM
that's exactly my point. it's not the players that is the problem.

even if all you guys are spur fans, everyone here should lnow pistons are a lot tougher. all of the starters and some bench players have had tough roads to get here.

leemajors
01-13-2006, 06:58 PM
even if all you guys are spur fans, everyone here should lnow pistons are a lot tougher. all of the starters and some bench players have had tough roads to get here.

none of them had a tougher road to the nba than bowen.

JamStone
01-13-2006, 07:52 PM
none of them had a tougher road to the nba than bowen.

see Ben Wallace

mike detroit
01-13-2006, 08:14 PM
see Ben Wallace

come on, "undrafted from Virginia Union" is just NBA code for "guaranteed superstar"

Kori Ellis
01-13-2006, 08:34 PM
Bowen and Ben both had a very rough road to get where they are. Comparing backgrounds of players is a little odd.

The Pistons are a very focused determined team right now - the Spurs are not.

I'll leave it at that for now.

Nephets
01-13-2006, 08:36 PM
We will peak after the all-star break... we usually do.

mike detroit
01-13-2006, 08:42 PM
We will peak after the all-star break... we usually do.

I hope so, the final will be boring if that's all you've got.

j/k
I kid, I kid

Cant_Be_Faded
01-13-2006, 08:49 PM
He has a point. My dad is the occasional NBA game watcher and he said flat out that it looked like San Antonio was playing lazy and did not care.

I did not notice this, but, I am biased.

Perfect10
01-13-2006, 09:08 PM
Detroit has "that look" in their eyes. The Spurs don't.

One team is playing like they have something to prove and one team appears to be resting on its' laurels. And the reality of the situation...that's probably 100% what's happening right now.

Brunodf
06-24-2014, 02:55 PM
Why the Spurs looked so bad, and sooo lost, is 100% because of coaching.

We have the talent...but, the only guys who could do anything offensively, did it because they went 1 on 1. Manu, Parker, Nick. Finley's not a 1 on 1 player, so can't be as productive with no set plays for him. Hell, even Bowen had to go 1 on 1 to make his couple of points.

Parker had 0 assists...coaching.
Outrebounded by 20+...coaching.
Finley having 0 points...coaching.

Defense is great..but, you have to score as well.

Detroit has the best of both worlds. They had Larry Brown last year teaching Defense...and Chip this year focusing on Offense. And it sure as hell shows.

Spurs offensive sets are a joke. No movement, and when they do move, it's like they have no clue. A few top side picks for Parker and Ginobli..and thats about it. Very few inside picks and movement to get guys open.

It's time for the coaches to start designing more effective offensive sets.
Those old days... How things changed... This guy knew what he was saying

vander
06-24-2014, 03:49 PM
better late than never

Prime Time
06-24-2014, 03:54 PM
:lol @ anyone who says the '05 Spurs > '14 Spurs.