PDA

View Full Version : Palmers injury career ending???

Pistons < Spurs
01-12-2006, 11:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2290239

Doctor: Palmer knee injury 'potentially career-ending

CINCINNATI -- Carson Palmer's knee injury was "devastating and potentially career-ending," involving numerous ligament tears, a shredded ligament, damaged cartilage and a dislocated kneecap, his surgeon said Thursday.

The Cincinnati Bengals quarterback tore ligaments in his left knee when he was hit by Pittsburgh's Kimo von Oelhoffen on his first pass during the Steelers' 31-17 playoff victory Sunday.

The team announced that he had torn the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments. The damage was much more extensive and severe, but Dr. Lonnie Paulos said surgery went well and Palmer could be back for the start of the season.

Palmer had surgery Tuesday in Houston. Doctors used grafts from other parts of his body and donated tissue to fix the damage during an operation that lasted more than two hours. Palmer headed back to California on Thursday to do his rehabilitation.

"It's not just like it was a torn ACL," Paulos said Thursday, in a phone interview from Houston. "It's a magnitude more difficult to recover from and repair. It can and has ended careers, without a doubt.

"However, I feel very comfortable with Carson as an athlete and the heart that he's got. In the end, that's the bottom line. I can see the look in his eye already. He's ready to get going," he said.

Paulos, an orthopedic surgeon who has worked with the U.S. Ski Team since 1983, replaced the anterior cruciate ligament, which runs through the middle of the knee and provides stability. He said the medial collateral ligament, which runs along the side of the knee, was damaged "real bad."

"On a scale of one to three, it was a four," he said. "It was off the chart. It was pretty badly damaged -- shredded is the better term."

The kneecap dislocated when Palmer was hit, damaging tissue around it. There was also some cartilage damage, he said.

Paulos was able to repair the knee without removing pieces of cartilage or soft tissue, a good sign.

"The things that were torn could be repaired," he said. "They were not torn beyond repair. So he's got all his parts in there, which is good. We're optimistic, actually."

If rehabilitation goes well, Palmer could be running in a couple months and might be able to play in the first regular-season game, Paulos said. The 2006 schedule hasn't been set.

Palmer has worn a protective brace on the left knee since he sprained it near the end of the 2004 season. The knee bowed inward on von Oelhoffen's hit even though Palmer was wearing the brace.

"The brace didn't function well in this environment and should have done better than it did, frankly," Paulos said.

The plan is for Palmer to wear more substantial braces on both knees when he returns.

"No brace is perfect," Paulos said. "No brace can prevent every injury, but they do help."

Paulos saw the replay of the injury and wasn't surprised at the extent of the damage it caused. Palmer has absolved von Oelhoffen, saying he didn't think the lineman was trying to hurt him. The lineman said he was trying to sack Palmer, not injure him. He wasn't penalized for the hit.

Palmer made the Pro Bowl in only his second season as a starter, throwing an NFL-leading 32 touchdown passes. The club extended his contract through the 2014 season.

Jon Kitna, who has been Palmer's backup and mentor the last two years, can become a free agent. Palmer's injury will force the Bengals to make sure they have another reliable quarterback on board.

MannyIsGod
01-12-2006, 11:13 PM
WTF? I thought it was deemed to be better than that? That sucks ass.

Pistons < Spurs
01-12-2006, 11:18 PM
"On a scale of one to three, it was a four," he said. "It was off the chart. It was pretty badly damaged -- shredded is the better term."

That is a damn shame. He looked so fucking good this year. Hopefully he can beat the odds, and make a recovery.

Horry For 3!
01-13-2006, 02:28 AM
:pctoss Fucking Steelers fucked up Palmer's career!

Hopefully, he'll be back and strong though. He was a top 3 QB this year and only going to get better.

I wonder if the Bengals are going to draft a QB now....

cecil collins
01-13-2006, 05:16 AM
Good thing he just signed a big bonus laden deal. I think the lineman who hit him looked upset after he saw that Palmer was hurt. I hope the guy can recover, he's damn fun to watch.

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 08:03 AM
Yeah that Steeler was very upset when he noticed Palmer was hurt. What was pathetic was Cincy players cussing him for it. It was just an accident. That guy must feel really bad now.

Sad news.

exstatic
01-13-2006, 08:32 AM
OK, he's a fucking QB, and it isn't even his plant foot leg. It would be a dire situtation if he were a RB or a WR, running full tilt and planting and cutting on every play.

Extra Stout
01-13-2006, 10:37 AM
I doubt Palmer will be ready before 2007.

And when he does come back, he'll have the mobility of Joe Namath.

ShoogarBear
01-13-2006, 11:31 AM
Could it really have been worse than Willis McGahee's injury?

Anyway, hope for the best.

Melmart1
01-13-2006, 11:39 AM
[QUOTE=Horry For 3!]:pctoss Fucking Steelers fucked up Palmer's career!

Steelers didn't fuck up nothing, it could have happened with any team. I know the Steelers have a 'reputation' but this was unintentional, I believe Carson even said so himself.

sa_butta
01-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Could it really have been worse than Willis McGahee's injury?

Anyway, hope for the best.That was very nasty. Palmer's injury did not seem that bad. Really stinks for Bengals. I guess they will be holding on to Kitna longer than they planned.

vincerodriguez23
01-13-2006, 02:34 PM
That was very nasty. Palmer's injury did not seem that bad. Really stinks for Bengals. I guess they will be holding on to Kitna longer than they planned.

i would hate to see carson go. not like this. damn, its that heisman curse

T Park
01-13-2006, 10:26 PM
Shit,

there goes my fantasy football team next year.

ShoogarBear
01-13-2006, 11:43 PM
The guys on ESPN radio tonight were ripping the Benglas organization, saying they were purposely misleading their fans as to the seriousness of the injury (to protect season ticket renewals?).

MannyIsGod
01-14-2006, 01:34 AM
The guys on ESPN radio tonight were ripping the Benglas organization, saying they were purposely misleading their fans as to the seriousness of the injury (to protect season ticket renewals?).I've heard a few people say that it was probably just the docotor trying to make himself look good.

"Hey, its HORRIBLE but I fixed it just fine"

That kind of thing.

I don't know and I suspect no one will untill he comes back.

Horry For 3!
01-14-2006, 01:51 AM
As long as he comes back and gets strong, all is well.

ShoogarBear
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
I've heard a few people say that it was probably just the docotor trying to make himself look good.

"Hey, its HORRIBLE but I fixed it just fine"

That kind of thing.

I don't know and I suspect no one will untill he comes back.It's possible, but a) a doctor can't realease any information about a patient without consent, and b) what he writes in his operating notes regarding what he found is a legal document, and he could be punished severly for knowingly lying about it. I don't know how that would apply to public statements about the injury.

Rummpd
01-14-2006, 09:49 PM
I am not an orthopedic surgeon; (but was a physical therapist before medical school).

Anytime these two ligaments are torn in several places + some cartilage it was a major injury.

That being said the fact the doctor predicted he might well be running this Spring or early Summer sounds like their is some optimisim.

I have seen many athletes come back from these injuries with time by the way - as long as he is not rushed.

Stephen A Smith
01-14-2006, 10:48 PM
I am not an orthopedic surgeon; (but was a physical therapist before medical school).

Anytime these two ligaments are torn in several places + some cartilage it was a major injury.

That being said the fact the doctor predicted he might well be running this Spring or early Summer sounds like their is some optimisim.

I have seen many athletes come back from these injuries with time by the way - as long as he is not rushed.

Quite frankly, I think you are full of shit. He is done for. I will reference you on my Quite Frankly show on ESPN 2 if ANYONE asks a question in my audience participation time. Please watch. Quite frankly, I think you will be amused. I will call you the Rump Doc.

ShoogarBear
01-15-2006, 11:47 AM
Quite frankly, I think you are full of shit. He is done for. I will reference you on my Quite Frankly show on ESPN 2 if ANYONE asks a question in my audience participation time. Please watch. Quite frankly, I think you will be amused. I will call you the Rump Doc.
:lmao

Vashner
01-15-2006, 11:48 AM
They have sweet disablity insurance. I am not gonna cry over this....

He can suffer in his mansions, private plane and yacht over a plate of lobster and steak.

Rummpd
01-15-2006, 02:39 PM
Time will tell, Stephen A. Smith.

Please wake me when you have a medical degree and can challenge my opinion with anything stronger than your reference to your inane show - that no one watches anymore.

Guru of Nothing
01-15-2006, 10:45 PM
It's possible, but a) a doctor can't realease any information about a patient without consent, and b) what he writes in his operating notes regarding what he found is a legal document, and he could be punished severly for knowingly lying about it. I don't know how that would apply to public statements about the injury.

But maybe the Doc owns Carson in a big money keeper league.