PDA

View Full Version : What is different from last year?

Despot
01-12-2006, 11:44 PM
What is everybody's take on what is different from last year?
We are averaging within .1 of points and points allowed of what we did a year ago. I for one just don't see the ball movement that we had last year, transition D could be better, I rarely see the full court press anymore, not working the time clock (taking shots too quickly), and we are not running a fast break at all (I figure that is so they don't get too tired and risk of injury)

Maybe I'm just being too critical.

timvp
01-12-2006, 11:50 PM
Manu needs to start and be more involved. Still only play him about 28-30 minutes per game, but he has to see the ball more when he's in.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-12-2006, 11:52 PM
the difference is that the pistons are 10 times the team that they were last year. and we barely beat them last year

loveforthegame
01-12-2006, 11:53 PM
The ball movement is there and sometimes it's not.
Injuries and Pop not sticking with a rotation has hurt.
Barry still sucking.
Finley and NVE being up and down.
The most disappointing is the lack of energy (excluding Manu) and being outhustled in stretches.

SouthernFried
01-12-2006, 11:54 PM
We have a better record than last year?

Pistons < Spurs
01-13-2006, 12:00 AM
IMO the difference right now is a couple of things:

First, you have to take into consideration the injuries to TD and Manu. Not easy to have great flow when one of your starters has missed 10 games and played limited minutes in another 10 games through the first 35 games.

Also you have to look at the bench. Fin and NVE haven't played their best yet. New system? Chemistry? who knows...but it will only get better.

But most importantly, I believe the Spurs are winning simply on talent, and not hustle. The enrgy, hunger, desire is not there. They are able to be competitive in most games by simply showing up to the arena. Call it the "Championship Hangover" or whatever, but they feel they can just "flip the switch" whenever they want. Detroit did the same thing after they won in 2004.

Out of curiosity, what was the Spurs record at this point last year? I ask becasue record wise, the Spurs are looking great. 27-9 is nothing to be upset about. I think it's more about how they've lost this year as opposed to how often they've lost.

Trainwreck2100
01-13-2006, 12:03 AM
Difference?????Last I checked last year Det. blew them out twice.

Despot
01-13-2006, 12:03 AM
We have a better record than last year?

28-8 last year

27-9 this year

And i'm not just concerned about this game, Talking about our play all year.

TDMVPDPOY
01-13-2006, 12:04 AM
coasting too much this season :(

Despot
01-13-2006, 12:06 AM
I said this in another thread, but all year, we have been playing like we played right after we traded Malik. Like they did not enjoy being out there.

baseline bum
01-13-2006, 12:07 AM
Finley has no business starting and Nesterovic has no business playing. That's the difference in the Spurs.

2centsworth
01-13-2006, 12:09 AM
Finley has no business starting and Nesterovic has no business playing. That's the difference in the Spurs.
yup

efrem1
01-13-2006, 12:18 AM
Something in the back of mind says that with 3 titles under their belt, the Spurs sometimes sleepwalk a little during the season and wake up. I just did not like this box score tonight with them being at home. Outrebounded by 20 and hitting 12 of 24 throws? The Kings put up a better fight at Arco earlier this year. The Spurs just need to light a fire under their own ass.

Dre_7
01-13-2006, 12:20 AM
Whats the difference??

Just look at the starting 5 against Det last year. Compare that to this year. The dif? Nazr and Manu.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-13-2006, 12:24 AM
my biggest problem with this loss is that its one thing to be reckless and drop games to atlanta, washington, chicago or whatever the case may be. at the end of the day, the chances of us facing any of those teams come playoff time is unlikely. if we have any shot at making the finals, there's a 137% chance we'll be playing Detroit. of all the teams in the league, Detroit is #1 on our list of teams to compete with. this is the team we should be preparing our entire season for. so when detroit not only waxes us on their turf but on OUR HOME turf as well, i think we've got a "slight" problem. coupled with the fact that so far in the season, detroit looks like they're gonna run away with HC advantage, i give the spurs 10 to 1 odd in beating detroit in a series like that. you guys can say "oh its only january, oh its the regular season" but when our nemesis KICKS OUR ASSES soundly the way they did, I KNOW its gonna fuck with the spurs heads a lot and make the pistons more confident than ever that the only team that has a shot of beating them is light years behind them. Pop needs to wake up and find a solid rotation and put nazr back in the lineup and HAND THE TEAM OVER TO MANU AND GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE WAY. if any of the other spurs had a millionth of the heart manu had, we'd be 81-1 (losing to the raptors or something) every season. Because lets face it, as "nice" as it is to make it to the finals, with the talent this roster has ANYTHING less than a championship trophy is a total bust.

drivanroca
01-13-2006, 12:27 AM
...if any of the other spurs had a millionth of the heart manu had, we'd be 81-1 (losing to the raptors or something) every season. Because lets face it, as "nice" as it is to make it to the finals, with the talent this roster has ANYTHING less than a championship trophy is a total bust.

:tu

Despot
01-13-2006, 12:28 AM
Well Said Amuseddaysleeper.

but when our nemesis KICKS OUR ASSES soundly the way they did.

But as i said in the game log :

This wasn't an ass kicking, they farted in our face, and then gave us a wedgie. That's what older kids do to you, they don't kick your ass.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-13-2006, 12:30 AM
haha yeah Despot, i had a very good laugh with that comment!! :lol :lol

Despot
01-13-2006, 12:30 AM
haha yeah Despot, i had a very good laugh with that comment!! :lol :lol

Problem is, I was being serious

leemajors
01-13-2006, 12:33 AM
motion offense has completely disappeared. rarely do we see pick and rolls and the top of the key anymore, which worked great with tony and manu all year and especially when we needed baskets in the playoffs. i don't know if it has something to do with td not being able to roll to the basket as well due to his foot, but let's hope the other half of the plays in the offense pop "still hasn't put in" aren't as predictable as the first half.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-13-2006, 12:35 AM
i'm just amazed our FG% is as high as it is. i'm guessing it smostly due to parker's success in the lane. cuz a lot of the nights i still lack a lot of faith in our offense

CharlieMac
01-13-2006, 01:34 AM
I think both the Pistons and the Spurs are better than they were at this point last year. Especially the Pistons.