PDA

View Full Version : Manu, The Sky with my Hands (First book on Manu)

carina_gino20
01-13-2006, 07:34 AM
The first biography of Manu Ginóbili, in an outstanding investigation work, full of stories, anecdotes and testimonies by his friends, family, teachers and team-mates, that reveal unsuspected aspects of the life and personality of the athlete who makes all Argentinean proud.

The will-power, the determination to win, the talent, the intelligence and a weird ability to be in the right place at the right moment all gathered to form the singular destiny of Emanuel Ginóbili, the biggest Argentinean basketball player in all times and one of the best in the world. The journalist Daniel Frescó constructs this unique life-story, by a meticulous investigation that includes testimonies by family members, friends and team-mates, from his childhood in Bahía Blanca up to the moment he was awarded the two rings champion at the NBA. The result of this investigation demonstrates that a personality like Manu’s is not forged by chance or fortune, but is the result of individual strength and the consequence of an environment, a moment and even- a country.

His name move nowadays millions of dollars and his rise is the paradigm of the Argentinean that conquers the world, but behind the public image hides a humble guy, loyal to his emotions and ready to confront any setback with the power of his intelligence and perseverance. This passionate and exhaustive narrative, filled with anecdotes, reveals unknown aspects of Ginóbili: the almost genetic vocation in basketball, the obsession with growth and the audacity to reach the goal, that in a certain way, he knew he was destined to.

Manu. The Sky with My Hands, the first book on Emanuel Ginóbili, offers a portrait of a life and a career still open, which its accomplishments exceed the limits of sport.

http://www.elcieloconlasmanos.com/index_en.htm

here's another article about the book:

Both Had Growth Problems
The Coincidence of Messi and Ginóbili

Carlos Castillos (DPA)
(translated from elmundo.es Deportes, Dec 16, 2005)

Madrid. – A curios coincidence involving the most important Argentinean athletes at the moment, Emanuel "Manu" Ginóbili and Lionel Messi, was revealed with the publication in Buenos Aires of the biography of the NBA star: both had growth problems. To Ginóbili "the doctors said that he wouldn't grow to be taller than 1'85 meters" as DPA was told by the journalist Daniel Frescó, author of the book "The Sky with My Hands", already distributed in Argentina.

Nonetheless, the San Antonio Spurs player, who was awarded the two rings champion in the most powerful basketball league, “ had a growth spurt at the age of 17 when he reached a height of 1’98 meters, when even his father thought he would not be tall enough for basketball”, recalls Frescó. Messi, who plays soccer for Barcelona, and will almost certainly be included in the lineup of the Spanish team at the World Cup in Germany in 2006, also had growth problems. He was able to use growth-enhancing devices in Spain, that transformed him into the outstanding player he is today.

The Argentinean arrived in Barcelona when he was 13, only 1'40 meters tall. He received hormonal treatment for his growth problems, until reaching his current height of 1'70 meters. "The Sky with My Hands" is an investigation that "includes several chapters in a novel form" of the life of Ginóbili, Olympic gold medalist in Athens and a descendant of Italians who arrived in Argentina during the twentieth century in search of new horizons.

The book's chapters were written "in correlation to his growth, from 51cm at birth to the nearly 2 meters of his current height", says Frescó. "The Sky with My Hands" starts with Ginóbili's family history, recounting the story of his great-grandparents who settled in the south of the province of Buenos Aires, when the town of Bahía Blanca was taking its first steps. "Like all immigrants who came during those years, these Italians where dreamers, very hard working and dedicated. Emanuel inherited this diligence, which is reflected in his personality”, adds the author.

The key to “Ginóbili's 'winner' personality” can be found in his middle class background, as well as the neighborhood where he grew up and took his first steps, obsessed with being taller and with playing basketball, which has always been one of the passions of Bahía Blanca. In addition to his growth problems, “Manu”, as he is affectionately known, suffered many other frustrations. For example, at the age of 15, he was left out of the cadets’ league, because there were others taller than him.

In 1994, when he was 17 years old, Ginóbili made his first appearance with the local basketball club Bahiense del Norte, which declined a league “It was a terrible disappointment, yet it served as a stimulus for him, because it was followed by a physical development. From then on he never stopped” says Fresco. Before he made it into the NBA, “Manu” Ginóbili played in the Italian Second Division, between 1998 and 1999, showing the talents of a great player, although he had “yet to show them in the big leagues”.
"The Sky with My Hands" contributes many stories as well as testimonies by friends, family members, teachers and team-mates that reveal unknown aspects of the life and personality of the basketball player that has become one of the icons of the Argentinean sport. One of the anecdotes that Fresco relates demonstrates Manu’s obsession with height. “You can find many marks on the walls of his parents' and grandparents' kitchens. Ginóbili made those marks to chart his growth process."
But, according to the author, “behind the public image hides a modest guy, loyal to his emotions and ready to confront any setback with the power of his intelligence and perseverance”.

http://www.elcieloconlasmanos.com/coincidence_article.htm

Ginofan
01-13-2006, 08:49 AM
Is it only available in spanish?

angel_luv
01-13-2006, 08:56 AM
Awesome! :spin

About time too!

abelle23
01-13-2006, 09:01 AM
i have to learn spanish....hope they translate it ...

angel_luv
01-13-2006, 09:03 AM
"The Sky with My Hands" is an investigation that "includes several chapters in a novel form" of the life of Ginóbili, Olympic gold medalist in Athens and a descendant of Italians who arrived in Argentina during the twentieth century in search of new horizons.

Is the whole book about Gino or is just certain chapters?

“behind the public image hides a modest guy, loyal to his emotions and ready to confront any setback with the power of his intelligence and perseverance”.

That's our Manu! :elephant

carina_gino20
01-13-2006, 09:46 AM
I think it's available in English too. They have it on Amazon, I think.

The book is all about Manu, from his youth to his stardom.

I want it.

spurschick
01-13-2006, 09:49 AM
I think it's available in English too. They have it on Amazon, I think.

No such luck there.

circles_eternal
01-13-2006, 10:09 AM
omg. that`s awesome. i neeeeed to have this. i hope they translate it.

WalterBenitez
01-13-2006, 10:55 AM
Where could I get it!!!!?????

:drunk

abelle23
01-13-2006, 10:57 AM
chked amazon ..think its only in spanish!

WalterBenitez
01-13-2006, 11:04 AM
chked amazon ..think its only in spanish!

:tu Thank you, thank you :elephant

kolko
01-13-2006, 11:31 AM
I've finished reading it yesterday! :spin (Although I bought it like one month ago)

It focuses a lot in how his grandparents arrived to Bahia Blanca. It is 300 pages long.

abelle23
01-13-2006, 12:53 PM
I've finished reading it yesterday! :spin (Although I bought it like one month ago)

It focuses a lot in how his grandparents arrived to Bahia Blanca. It is 300 pages long.

could you like maybe translate it for me? :lol

...so not so many info about his career?

vincerodriguez23
01-13-2006, 01:01 PM
The first biography of Manu Ginóbili, in an outstanding investigation work, full of stories, anecdotes and testimonies by his friends, family, teachers and team-mates, that reveal unsuspected aspects of the life and personality of the athlete who makes all Argentinean proud.

The will-power, the determination to win, the talent, the intelligence and a weird ability to be in the right place at the right moment all gathered to form the singular destiny of Emanuel Ginóbili, the biggest Argentinean basketball player in all times and one of the best in the world. The journalist Daniel Frescó constructs this unique life-story, by a meticulous investigation that includes testimonies by family members, friends and team-mates, from his childhood in Bahía Blanca up to the moment he was awarded the two rings champion at the NBA. The result of this investigation demonstrates that a personality like Manu’s is not forged by chance or fortune, but is the result of individual strength and the consequence of an environment, a moment and even- a country.

His name move nowadays millions of dollars and his rise is the paradigm of the Argentinean that conquers the world, but behind the public image hides a humble guy, loyal to his emotions and ready to confront any setback with the power of his intelligence and perseverance. This passionate and exhaustive narrative, filled with anecdotes, reveals unknown aspects of Ginóbili: the almost genetic vocation in basketball, the obsession with growth and the audacity to reach the goal, that in a certain way, he knew he was destined to.

Manu. The Sky with My Hands, the first book on Emanuel Ginóbili, offers a portrait of a life and a career still open, which its accomplishments exceed the limits of sport.

http://www.elcieloconlasmanos.com/index_en.htm

here's another article about the book:

Both Had Growth Problems
The Coincidence of Messi and Ginóbili

Carlos Castillos (DPA)
(translated from elmundo.es Deportes, Dec 16, 2005)

Madrid. – A curios coincidence involving the most important Argentinean athletes at the moment, Emanuel "Manu" Ginóbili and Lionel Messi, was revealed with the publication in Buenos Aires of the biography of the NBA star: both had growth problems. To Ginóbili "the doctors said that he wouldn't grow to be taller than 1'85 meters" as DPA was told by the journalist Daniel Frescó, author of the book "The Sky with My Hands", already distributed in Argentina.

Nonetheless, the San Antonio Spurs player, who was awarded the two rings champion in the most powerful basketball league, “ had a growth spurt at the age of 17 when he reached a height of 1’98 meters, when even his father thought he would not be tall enough for basketball”, recalls Frescó. Messi, who plays soccer for Barcelona, and will almost certainly be included in the lineup of the Spanish team at the World Cup in Germany in 2006, also had growth problems. He was able to use growth-enhancing devices in Spain, that transformed him into the outstanding player he is today.

The Argentinean arrived in Barcelona when he was 13, only 1'40 meters tall. He received hormonal treatment for his growth problems, until reaching his current height of 1'70 meters. "The Sky with My Hands" is an investigation that "includes several chapters in a novel form" of the life of Ginóbili, Olympic gold medalist in Athens and a descendant of Italians who arrived in Argentina during the twentieth century in search of new horizons.

The book's chapters were written "in correlation to his growth, from 51cm at birth to the nearly 2 meters of his current height", says Frescó. "The Sky with My Hands" starts with Ginóbili's family history, recounting the story of his great-grandparents who settled in the south of the province of Buenos Aires, when the town of Bahía Blanca was taking its first steps. "Like all immigrants who came during those years, these Italians where dreamers, very hard working and dedicated. Emanuel inherited this diligence, which is reflected in his personality”, adds the author.

The key to “Ginóbili's 'winner' personality” can be found in his middle class background, as well as the neighborhood where he grew up and took his first steps, obsessed with being taller and with playing basketball, which has always been one of the passions of Bahía Blanca. In addition to his growth problems, “Manu”, as he is affectionately known, suffered many other frustrations. For example, at the age of 15, he was left out of the cadets’ league, because there were others taller than him.

In 1994, when he was 17 years old, Ginóbili made his first appearance with the local basketball club Bahiense del Norte, which declined a league “It was a terrible disappointment, yet it served as a stimulus for him, because it was followed by a physical development. From then on he never stopped” says Fresco. Before he made it into the NBA, “Manu” Ginóbili played in the Italian Second Division, between 1998 and 1999, showing the talents of a great player, although he had “yet to show them in the big leagues”.
"The Sky with My Hands" contributes many stories as well as testimonies by friends, family members, teachers and team-mates that reveal unknown aspects of the life and personality of the basketball player that has become one of the icons of the Argentinean sport. One of the anecdotes that Fresco relates demonstrates Manu’s obsession with height. “You can find many marks on the walls of his parents' and grandparents' kitchens. Ginóbili made those marks to chart his growth process."
But, according to the author, “behind the public image hides a modest guy, loyal to his emotions and ready to confront any setback with the power of his intelligence and perseverance”.

http://www.elcieloconlasmanos.com/coincidence_article.htm

what the fuck is this?!?!?? :lol

kolko
01-13-2006, 07:25 PM
...so not so many info about his career?

Yes, it focuses on his career, it starts since he was a little kid. The first part of the book talks about how the Ginobili familiy living in Italy landed in Bahia Blanca until Manu was born. IMO, the best part of the book was his youth. The NBA part wasn't something new to us.

vincerodriguez23
01-13-2006, 07:46 PM
Yes, it focuses on his career, it starts since he was a little kid. The first part of the book talks about how the Ginobili familiy living in Italy landed in Bahia Blanca until Manu was born. IMO, the best part of the book was his youth. The NBA part wasn't something new to us.

sorry i thought this was all made up by a hardcore manu fan and tried to make it like an excerpt from the "Book of Manu" like some sort of bible. ive been seeing alot of cults poppin up here and there, Church of Tony, Manu, even a Beno

WalterBenitez
01-14-2006, 11:43 AM
I read it, and found that three words define what MANU has...

INTELLIGENCE, LUCK and PASSION